Seeking Meaning of Samana Rahite in Saranga Tarangini

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
rohithc911

Seeking Meaning of Samana Rahite in Saranga Tarangini

Post by rohithc911 »

Hello,

I'm trying to find the meaning of GNB Sir's composition in Saranga Tarangini Samana Rahite. Would greatly appreciate some help in translating. Thank you.

Rohith

Lakshman

Re: Seeking Meaning of Samana Rahite in Saranga Tarangini

Post by Lakshman »

samAna rahitE. rAgA: sArangatarangiNi. rUpaka tALA.

P: samAna rahitE sajjana manOllAsitE
A: kumAra janani bhAnu kOTi vijita prabhAkarE
(ciTTasvara)
sa* ni dhA ni dhA pa ma sa ri sa ni | sA dha ni sa ri ma pa dha ni sa ri
pa* mA* ri* sa* nI dha pa mA ri sa ni ri | sa nI ri sa ri ma pa dha ni sa ri
C: rANi vANi sakala dEva tArAdhita padayugaLE himAdri tanayE mAyE hEmashankha sahajAtE

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

How elegantly simple, yet so evocative. Is there a vocal rendering of this varNam?

pallavi
samAna rahitE sajjana manOllAsitE

Oh one without (rahitE) an equal (samAna), who creates happiness (ullAsitE) in the minds/hearts (mana) of virtuous (sat) people (jana)!

anupallavi
kumAra janani bhAnu kOTi vijita prabhAkarE

Mother (janani) of subrahmaNya (kumAra - the ever-youthful one), who single-handedly creates (karE) enough resplendance (prabhA) that puts to shame/defeats (vijita) the brilliance of countless (kOTi - crores) suns (bhAnu)!

caraNam
rANi vANi sakala dEvatArAdhita padayugaLE himAdri tanayE mAyE hEmashankha sahajAtE

Oh empress (rANi) whose feet (padayugaLE) are worshipped (ArAdhita) by all (sakala) the gods (dEvatA) including sarasvati (vANi), the daughter (tanayE) of the mountain (adri) king himavAn, the illusionist (mAyE) [1], the sister (sahajAtE) [2] of the bearer of the golden (hEma) conch (SaMkha) [3], vishNu.

FOOTNOTES
[1] mAyE, the illusionist, in this context refers to the lOkamAtA as the source of the visible universe - the word appears in several of the SAktaym literature, but I remember it as name of the baby kaMsa attempts to kill as dEvaki's eighth-born
[2] sahajAtE - one who is born (jAtE) along with (saha)
[3] hEmaSaMkha is the pAncajanyam

mohan

Post by mohan »

Ravi ..this is quite a popular GNB krithi. Here is a version by TVS http://sangeethamshare.org/vijayagopal/ ... angini.mp3 (hope the link works)

Sanjay Subrahmanyam posted some details about the raga in his blog post about Dandapani Desikar:
My guru also narrated an interesting story about the ragam Saranga tarangini. GNB upon once being told that Rajarathnam played Kalyani and did an expansive vinyasa omitting the gandhara for some time. GNB hummed the phrases and found it had enough to be a ragam of its own and composed the song Samana rahite. Since the raga name was not known GNB decided to christen it Ramaasadani and TR Balu sang it on the radio. Desigar, after listening to the radio programme immediately called GNB and congratulated him and also said that the raga had an older name called Saaranga tarangini.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you Mohan for both the link and the snippet from Sri Sanjay. I do not have access to the link at work, so I will have to listen to it when I get home.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

Charanam is ramA vANi not rANi vANi

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks narayara000 for pointing out the typo.