Lyrics- yarendru raghavani

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
hariomsharan

Post by hariomsharan »

could anybody provide me the text of the song yarendru ragavani-yadhukulakamboji-arunachala kavi
thanks

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Arenru rAghavanai. rAgA: bhairavi. Adi tALA.

P: Arenru rAgahavanai eNNinIrammA ittai arindu shonnIrO ariyIrO nIrammA
A: ErA vArttai du vasaiyODokkumE pOril eNDishai adhiparum aNDina
paDaiyuDan maNDinAlum en aNNan shuNDu viral pOdAdO
C1: vindaiyAgha veNNaikkup-pallu muLaittArppOlE minjirATdar aNNnan
tannai vaLaittAl vanda rAman adu kaNDu Engi iLaittAl vErE mantram enna
oru tantram anna vAnil indran gatippAnO candran udippAnO
2: Adi rudran vil oruvar oDikkap-pOmO attai arindum peN buddhiyAl
en cittam nOmO vEdaiyar ennaiyum shOdikkalAmO nalla vEdaNDam ennap-
perum kOdaNDam tannai aNNan karidaNDa vaLaikku mun mUdaNDam piLakkumE
3: paNNina mAyaiyAlE anda mArIcan mALum paruvattil angE OlamiTTAnE
nIcan ennAt-tunbam EdukkirukkirEn dAsan avaLai eNNinAl oru mEgha
vaNNanuDanE neTrik-kaNNanuDanE kUTTi annaiyum eNNAmal

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Some words are difficult to understand even for a Thamizh-speaking person. Perhaps there are a couple of errors in the transcription/transfer. Is it anuman who is talking to sItA?

arasi

Post by arasi »

On a cursory glance,

anupallavi: ERAda vArththai idu vasaiyODokkumE--pOril
eNDisai adiparum.....
The general meaning of the verse: This would go unheeded and may even be construed as a blame. Just think--even if rulers from all eight directions came with swarming armies, the mere might of rAmA's little finger would suffice to fight them.

The first and third charaNams are not sung in a concert (at least, I haven't heard them). They are omitted for the reason that they are there to convey the story in drama and are not needed in a song, I would think...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This is lakSmaNa's response to sItA when she asks him to go to rAmA's aid when the latter has gone after the illusory golden deer, and they hear the supposed cry for 'help', right? (could eRAda vArttai.. be her 'unacceptable' words' - ERRukkoLLa muDiyAda vArttai?)

hariomsharan

Post by hariomsharan »

thanks a lot lakshman sir.

also for arasi for beautiful interpretation

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Good day rasikas

Can someone help me with the transalation of this krithi. Heard Bombay sisters rendition of the same in a cassette yesterday and felt very moved.

Thanks
Harish

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is my attempt - just the one caraNam that is sung, as Arasi points out. I have heard the rendition of Smts. Saroja and Lalita, and I think that they also sing just that one. My take is slightly different from Arasi's (post 4 above). Corrections welcome.

In the rAmanATkam, when sItA accuses lakshmaNa of unspeakable intentions when he doesn't accede to her request to go to rAmA's help when the latter was following the golden deer, lakshmaNa, stung to the quick, but ever respectful, asks her:

(NOTE: An intersteing point I noticed is that although hurt by sItA's barbs, lakshmaNa doesn't defend himself directly, but takes up cudgels in the defence of rAmA, and a perceived slight to rAmA's valor. All of his arguements are directed towards making sItA realize that a warrior like rAma could never be felled, and hence, the cry for help could not be real.)

pallavI
Arenru rAgahavanai eNNinIrammA idai arindu shonnIrO ariyIrO nIrammA

Oh mother (ammA)! Who (yAr enru) did you think (eNNinIrO) rAma is (rAghavanai)? Did you speak (SonnIrO) after realizing (arindu) this (idai)? Or, are you (nIr) really not aware (ariyIrO) (of his prowess)?

anupallavI
ErA vArttai idu vasai ODokkumE pOril eNDishai adhiparum aNDina
paDaiyuDan maNDinAlum en aNNan shuNDu viral pOdAdO

This (idu) censure (vaSai) of yours is unacceptable (ErA vArttai), and is extremely distressing (oDukkumE) to me. In a war (pOril), even when surrounded (maNDinAlum) by kings (adhiparum) with mighty/fearful (ANDina) armies (paDaiyuDan) from all (en) directions (diSai), isn't a mere flick from my (en) brother's (aNNan) little (SuNDu) finger (viral) enough (pOdAdO) to scatter them? [Such is his might, my Lady, are you sure you are not aware of this?]

caraNam
Adi rudran vil oruvar oDikkap-pOmO adai arindum peN buddhiyAl
en cittam nOmO vEdaiyAl ennaiyum shOdikkalAmO nalla vEdaNDam ennap-
perum kOdaNDam tannai aNNan karidaNDa vaLaikku mun mUdaNDam piLakkumE

Will an ordinary human (oruvar) be able to (pOmO) snap (oDikka) the bow (vil) of the mighty Siva (Adi rudran)? Even after knowing (arindu) this, how can you hurt (nOmO) my (en) heart (cittam) and test (SodikkalAmO) me (ennaiyum) with these painful/cruel (vEtaiyAl) words, brought about by your woman's (peN) intuition (buddhiyAl) [1]? Don't you realize that even before (mun) my brother (aNNan) has a chance to string (karitaNDa) and bend (viLaikkum) his bow, the mountain (nalla vEdaNDam)-like (ena) mighty (perum) kOdanDam, the earth (mUdaNDam) will split (piLakkumE)?

FOOTNOTES
[1] A contemptuous usage to indicate the fact that women were not considered to be as intellectually capable as men.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
ERAda vArttai=unheeded words
vaSaiyODokkumE= vaSai+ODu+ okkumE--it resembles censure

1: Yes, Ravi, the adage : peN buddi pin buddi :)

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Thanks a lot rshankar - really the thought process of Arunachala Kavi is awesome !!

shankarank

Re:

Post by shankarank »

rshankar wrote: 03 Feb 2009, 22:29 FOOTNOTES
[1] A contemptuous usage to indicate the fact that women were not considered to be as intellectually capable as men.
As if intellectual capabilities put someone on a higher plane of existence? What a lot has happened to question that notion!

Anyways the rAgA is indicated as bhairavi here - I found this searching. Found a rendition that is in YK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGbIEfx2M24&t=420s

I also think along with that the tALA should change to miSra cApu - :geek: - to align things better. I think that may be the secret as so many padams are in slow 7 beats! This along with konDal vaNNanai of Sanjay - we will pick this up in lyrics thread in I & AT forum.

konDal vaNNanai itself may be a copy from another padam of sorts that I might have heard from K. Gayathri - IIRC - forget the tALa.