Translation for brndAvanam enbadillayO - Oothukkadu Venkata Kavi please

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
narayara000

Translation for brndAvanam enbadillayO - Oothukkadu Venkata Kavi please

Post by narayara000 »

brndAvanam enbadillaiyO - kurinji - Adi - OVK

pallavi :

brndAvanam enbadillaiyO andap-pErukkut-tAn enna shuvaiyO

(madhyamakalam)

andap-perumaiyil kallum pullum pEshik-koLLudE
pEshiyum manamidai koLLai koLLudE urimaiyODu vArum ena sholludE
uNmaiyil bhaktikkaDal Azham taLLudE

anupallavi :

mandAkini nANum yamunai nadi kANum manadirkku vegu pazham
shondam enat-tONum idai

(madhyamakalam)

arivadarkkoru tiranilaiyE paNNArnda kuzhalishai maDuttana ivaiyE
arugum Arumurai terindadoru vazhi aNuvaLavum kUDa kaTradumilaiyE
malaraDi kuLirnda vaNNamiyanradumAna talangaLum aghanradilaiyE
vaikuNTham kailAyam adu idu enbadellAm vArtaiyilAHAdu pArttadumillaiyE

charanam:

EyOTTum shiruvargaL kuzhalishai iduvO iduvE ippaDi enrAl ennaiyyan eduvO
OyAda anbuk-kellai UrenrAl iduvO OhO hO bhakti enrAl gOkulam tAn pOduvE

(repeat of anupallavi madhyamakalam)
Last edited by narayara000 on 24 Mar 2017, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Re: Translation for brndAvanam enbadillayO - Oothukkadu Venkata Kavi please

Post by rshankar »

I am working on the meaning...Is there an audio link?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is my attempt - I am hoping others (Rajani, Arasi, Ponbhairavi, PB et al.) can fix errors or suggest alternate interpretations. I have made changes to the lyrics (subtle ones) based on what I heard from the track you've posted.

pallavi
brndAvanam enbadivaiyo andap-pErukkut-tAn enna suvaiyO

Are these (ivayo) that go into making this place called (enbadu) bRndAvan (bRnAvanam)? What (enna) wonderful flavors/joy/sweetness (suvaiyO) that (anda) name (pErukku-tAn) has/evokes!
(madhyamakAlam)
andap-perumaiyil kallum pullum pEsik-koLLudE
pEsiyum manamidai koLLai koLLudE urimaiyODu vArum ena solludE
uNmaiyil bhaktikkaDal Azham taLLudE

In that (anda) greatness (perumaiyil) (of that word/place), pebbles/stones (kallum) and blades of grass (pullum) are talking to each other (pEsik-koLLudE). And by talking (pEsiyum), they are capturing (koLLai koLLudE) this (idai) heart (manam) of mine as they are inviting (vArum ena solludE) me with ownership/possessiveness (urimaiyODu). In reality (uNmayil), they are pushing (taLLudE) (me) into the depths (Azham) of a sea (kaDal) of devotion (bhakti).

anupallavi
mandAkini nANum yamunai nadi kANum
manadirkku vegu pazham sondam enat-tONum

The river gangA (mandAkini) will be embarrassed (nANum) [1], while the river (nadi) yamunA actually beholds (kANum) this place, and to (my) mind (manadirkku), this (idai) sugarcane (vegu pazham) [2] will appear to be/look like (tONum) mine (sondam ena).
(madhyamakAlam)
aRivadarkkoRu tiRanilaiyE paNNArnda kuzhalishai maDuttana ivaiyE
arugum arumaRai teRindadoRu vazhi aNuvaLavum kUDa kaTRadumilaiyE
malaraDi kuLirnda vaNNam iyanradumAna talangaLum aganradilaiyE
vaikuNTham kailAyam adu idu enbadellAm vArtaiyilAllAdu pArttadumillaiyE

I do not have the capability (tiRanilaiyE) to understand (aRivadarkkoRu) these (ivaiyE) (concepts) spread (maDuttana) through the music (isai) from kRshNa’s flute (kuzhal) that is suffused with musicality (paNNArnda). I have not learned/studied (kaTRadumilaiyE), even for a tiny bit (aNuvaLavum), about a (oRu) path (vazhi) that is shown (teRindadu) by our all-knowing (arugum) and unique (aru) scriptures/vEdas (maRai). I have not visited (aganradilaiyE) [3] glorified/sacred (iyanradumAna) places (talangaLum) that have been graced by the cool (kuLirnda vaNNam) feet (malaraDi) (of kRshNa). I know of (enbadellAm) vaikuNTham, kailAsa (kailAyam), and about this (idu) and that (adu) as nothing else other than (allAdu) mere words (vArtai); I have not seen them (pArtadumillaiyE).

caraNam
EyOTTum siRuvargaL kuzhalisai iduvO iduvE ippaDi enRAl ennaiyyan eduvO
OyAda anbuk-kellai UrenrAl iduvO OhO hO bhakti enRAl gOkulam tAn pOduvO

Is this (iduvO) the music (isai) from the flutes (kuzhal) of young (siRuvargaL) cowherds (EyOTTum) [4]? If this (iduvE) music is so (ippaDi enRAl) (great), then how (eduvO) (great) will my (en) Lord (ayyan) be?
Is this (iduvO) the place/city (UrenRAl) for the limits (ellai) unending (OyAda) love (anbukku)? Then (OhO hO), for devotion (bhakti enRAl), is it well accepted in general (poduvE) that it has to be gOkul (gOkulam tAn)?

FOOTNOTES
[1] Embarrassed that it doesn’t flow through bRndAvan, perhaps?
[2] Translated contextually – I do not think vegu in this context means ‘many’ – and I think the reference is to the sweetness of bRndAvan that the composre is laying claims to
[3] Translated contextually
[4] Translated contextually

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Dr shanker's translation is perfect and needs nothing more.
May be the following elucidation may help in better appreciation of the lyrical beauty.
Yamunai nadhi kaanum mandhakini naanum . :the river mandhakini when it looks at yamuna will be embarrassed wth a sense of shame( vetkam )( only hata yogis, serous sanyasis,and hard tapaswis only come to take bath at mandhakini whereas young gopis have jalakritais at yamuna and its banks arewitness to innumerable love affairs.

Vegu pazham : it will give us the realization that there are varieties of fruits to be enjoyed in life and not only the ascetic life of despising pleasures.
Ivaiye:- the pebles and grass of brindhavan ( ref to another composition of ovk: pullai piravi thara venum )
Iyanradhumaana thaalangal : without knowing much about tala , to whatever extent i could lay the steps ( iyanradhu ) it has still not gone out of rhythm ( aganradhumillaye )
4- eyottum :- the shepherd boys who chase their cattle shouting "hey". "Hey "

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you, sir for your insights! Makes perfect sense. I do have one doubt:

I listened to the link provided again, and the word is talangaL, and not tALangaL...I interpreted talangal to mean the same as sthalangaL (places). So I am a bit confused here.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Thanks dr shankar,
I listened to the song by Aruna Sairam. My interpretation is wrong.Yours is correct. It is clearly talam and not rAlam. As you have written OVK means "I have not gone out of this place (aganradhumilaye ) to visit any other kshetram treaded upon by the cool lotus feet of the Lord eventhough I could have possibly done that(iyanradhumaana)also.I stand corrected.