shIr vaLar pashum tOghai mayilAn

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
keentolearn

shIr vaLar pashum tOghai mayilAn

Post by keentolearn »

" shIr vaLar pashum tOghai mayilAn vaLLi shevvidazh alAdiniya teLLamudum ayilAn"

Could someone tell me if there is a translation of this Annamalai Reddiyar kavadi chindu, available anywhere, online, in English? Would be very grateful if someone can provide a translation.

Thank you!

Lakshman

Re: shIr vaLar pashum tOghai mayilAn

Post by Lakshman »

shIr vaLar. cakravAka notes. tALA: khanDa laghu tALA. Annamalai Reddiar

shIr vaLar pashum tOghai mayilAn vaLLi shevvidazh alAdiniya teLLamudum ayilAn
pOr vaLar taDangai urum ayilAn vimala ponnaDiyai innalara unnudal sheivAmE
kunjara vaNangu Aval vIDAdapaDi konji maruvum sarasa ranjita visEDa
painjara vaNam kAval vIDA vaLarum bAlan ena mAlayoDu kAlai ninaivAmE
vallavuNar vazhiyAdum viTTu veruLa vanjamar shei candaniDam vazhiyaDimaip-paTTu
nalla uNar vazhiyAdu maTTu minju jnAna paramAnanda mOnam aDaivAmE
oru danta mAtanga mukhattAn magizha uttama kaniTTan ena uTriDumaghattAn
varu tanda mAtanga mukhattAn evarum vAzhttu guha nAyakanai Ettudal sheivAmE

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

Thank you, Lakshman.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Here is my attempt. Please let me know if this suits you, or you need a word-by-word translation :

shIr vaLar pashum tOghai mayilAn - He has an excellent peacock with a lush,green tail.
vaLLi shevvidazh alAdiniya teLLamudum ayilAn - he consumes not even sweet ambrosia, except for ( the nectar of) Valli's red lips.
pOr vaLar taDangai urum ayilAn -In his huge arms he hold a spear that excels in war.
vimala ponnaDiyai innalara unnudal sheivAmE - His pure, golden feet, let us meditate, so that all troubles (innal) vanish.

kunjara vaNangu Aval vIDAdapaDi konji maruvum sarasa ranjita visEDa - He is the romantic one who displays tender affection to Devasena ((foster) daughter of the elephant Airavatam), such that her eagerness never fades.
painjara vaNam kAval vIDA vaLarum bAlan - He is the child who grew with the lovely Saravana pond as his fortress.
ena mAlayoDu kAlai ninaivAmE - Thus we shall think of him evening and morning.

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

Dear Rajani,

Thank you so very much for this and the offer of a word-by-word translation - that would be very useful. Would it be possible for you to do the entire song? I am, actually especially interested in the latter half of the song. So if you haven't the time to do the whole thing, the latter half is more valuable for me. Again, thank you!

This bit
vallavuNar vazhiyAdum viTTu veruLa vanjamar shei candaniDam vazhiyaDimaip-paTTu

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Please see if this helps :

vallavuNar vazhiyAdum viTTu veruLa vanjamar shei kandaniDam vazhiyaDimaip-paTTu

Let us attain (aDaivame) blissful (paramananda) stillness (mOnam), coming from enlightenment(jnAna), without losing (azhiyAdu maTTu) good sense (nalla unArvu),
having become (paTTu) hereditary slaves (vazhiyaDimai) to Skanda (kandaniDam), who warred fiercely (venjamar shei), such that the strong asuras (val-avuNar) were terrified (veruLa) and left all their ways (vazhiyAdum viTTu). (Or left the paths they had occupied, taking from the Devas)

He is one who has the loving heart (uTriDum agattAn) as (ena) a noble younger brother (uttama kaniTTan), such that Ganapati who has one tusk (oru danta) and an elephant face (mAtanga mukhattAn) rejoices (magizha).

***varu tanda mAtanga mukhattAn - Not sure of this one
Let us praise (Ettudal sheivAmE) Lord Guha (guha nAyakanai) whom everyone (evarum) glorifies (vAzhttu)

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Hope someone can help with the phrase that I could not place.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajani,

Beautiful as always. Thank you.

My take on the the phrase that you were stuck on....
Rajani wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 22:12***varu tanda mAtanga mukhattAn - Not sure of this one
The elephant (mAtanga)-faced one (mukhattAn) who granted (tanda) a boon (varu) - I think this refers to the fact that it was gaNapati, appearing as an elephant on muruga's request, who made valli accept muruga (in the guise of an old man) as her husband....

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thank you Ravi. I think that may be so. On the other hand, two references to Ganapati with the same phrase also seem unlikely.

Keentolearn : I am posting the first two verses also with word-by-word meanings

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

He has an excellent(sIr vaLar) peacock(mayil) with a lush,green tail (pasun thOgai).
He consumes not (ayilAn) even sweet ambrosia (iniya teLLamudum), except for (alAdu) ( the nectar of) Valli's red lips ( shevvidazh ).
In his huge arms(taDangai) he hold a spear(ayil) that excels in war(pOr vaLar).
innalara - His pure(vimala), golden feet (ponnaDiyai), let us meditate (unnudal sheivAmE), so that all troubles (innal) vanish(ara).

He is the romantic one(sarasa ranjita visEDa) who displays tender affection( konji maruvum) to Devasena ((foster) daughter of the elephant Airavatam)(kunjara aNangu), such that her eagerness(Aval) never fades (vIDAdapaDi).
He is the child(bAlan) who grew(vaLarum) with the lovely Saravana pond (pain- saravaNam) as his fortress(kAval vIDA).
Thus (ena) we shall think(ninaivAmE) of him evening( mAlayoDu) and morning ( kAlai).

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

Rajani, thank you! thank you! What a loveley song this is - even without understanding, just the sound of it is thrilling. And your explanation makes it so clear.
Heard Sanjay Subrahmanyan recently sing this - super, it was.
The word meanings are v helpful, as my Tamil is limited.
Rshanker - thank you!

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

You are welcome KTL! It is my pleasure too.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

posts at 8 and 9
my two cents
வருத்து(ம் ) அந்தம் ஆதங்க முகத்தான் எவரும் வாழ்த்தும்
when end ( of life ) is afflicting anyone with an imploring face sings his praise

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Delighted to read this Ponbhairavi Sir. Thank you.

Mukhathaan can also mean "due to" ?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ponbhairavi wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 22:06 posts at 8 and 9
my two cents
வருத்து(ம் ) அந்தம் ஆதங்க முகத்தான் எவரும் வாழ்த்தும்
when end ( of life ) is afflicting anyone with an imploring face sings his praise
Thank you, mama!

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Rajani:thanks. you are right . mugataan could also mean due to or with a view to and aatangam = solace so aatanga mugataan can also mean
"with a view to getting solace" ( "face" saving ?? also )
rshankar: thanks. this could be an allusion to Arunagirinaathar and the phrase gives much scope to touching abhinaya.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thanks sir. I thought aatangam means sadness or fear . I assume we can extend the meaning to solace too.