Translation of Rama Nama by Papanasam Sivan please

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
narayara000

Translation of Rama Nama by Papanasam Sivan please

Post by narayara000 »

Please translate this krithi.

Khamas, Adi, Papanasam Sivan

pallavi

rAma nAmAmrta pAnamE nAvuDaiyOrkkuyar jIvanamE SrI

anupallavi

uraikka uraikka uDal ellAm inikkumE Umai allAdavarkkellAm eLidu

caraNam

eTTezhuttirkkum uyar aindezhuttirkkum ivviraNDezhuttE uyirAgum it-
tAraka mantram ISan kASippadiyil upadESam seida vaibhavam koNDa ati madhura

narayara000

Re: Translation of Rama Nama by Papanasam Sivan please

Post by narayara000 »

I would like a translation of this krithi please

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

My attempt:

pallavi
rAma nAmAmRta pAnamE nAvuDaiyOrkkuyar jIvanamE SrI (rAma nAmAmRta pAnamE...)

The consumption/drinking/chanting (pAnamE) of the nectar (amRta) that is the name (nAma), Sri rAma, should be the only exalted (uyar) life (jIvanamE) (known to) those (uDaiyOrkku) with a tongue (nAvu)!

anupallavi
uraikka uraikka uDal ellAm inikkumE Umai allAdavarkkellAm eLidu (rAma nAmAmRta…)

(The consumption/chanting of the nectar that is the name, Sri rAma, should be the only exalted life known to those with a tongue) because the entire/whole (ellAm) body (uDal) will become sweet (inikkumE) as one chants (uraikka uraikka) (this name), (a chant/name) that is easy (eLidu) for all (ellAm) those who are not (allAdavarkku) mute (Umai)

caraNam
eTTezhuttiRkkum uyar aindezhuttiRkkum
ivviraNDezhuttE uyirAgum it-tAraka mantram
ISan kASippadiyil upadEsam seida vaibhavam koNDa ati madhura (rAma nAmAmRta pAnamE...)

These (iv) two (iraNDu) syllables (ezhuttE), [1] are/become (Agum) the life (uyir) for both the 8 (eTTu)-syllabic (ezhuttiRkkum) [2] and the exalted (uyar) 5 (aindu) syllabic (ezhuttiRkkum) [3] mantras/words. (The consumption/chanting of the nectar that is the name, Sri rAma, should be the only exalted life known to those with a tongue) because, this (i) mantra (mantram) that serves as the means to cross this life/bhavsAgar (tAraka), is the exceedingly (ati) sweet (madhura) and great (vaibhavam koNDa) (mantra that) Lord Siva (ISan) instructed (upadEsam seida) (pAravti) in the city (patiyil) of kASi/vArANasi [4].

FOOTNOTES
[1] The 2 syllables are rA ma
[2] Om na mO nA rA ya NA ya is the 8-syllabic mantra - removing rA will leave it meaningless, so rA is the heart/life of this mantra
[3] na ma(h) Si vA ya is the 5-sylabic mantra - removing ma from this will render it meaningless, so ma is the heart/life of this mantra
[1] [2] [3] putting the hearts of the two mantras together, one gets rA ma
[4] Described in the vishNu sahasranAma - “ISvara uvAca: SrI rAma rAma rAmEti, ramE rAmE manOramE, sahasra nAma tattulyam rAma nAma varANanE”

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

Lovely translation, thank you

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

narayara000 wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 22:39 Lovely translation, thank you
Second the compliment-@rshankar 's translations are very eloquent and give the context of the song with great clarity. Keep it up!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you both! I learn a lot from these exercises; so it’s not a totally altruistic pursuit! :)

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

rshankar,
The words of caraNam of Sivan kRti are almost same as tyAgrAja kRti 'evarani nirNayincirirA' - dEvamanOhari -

"Siva mantramunaku ma jIvamu
mAdhava mantramunaku rA jIvamu"

http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.co ... i.html?m=1

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I am sure he was inspired by Sri Tyagaraja