Lyrics and word to word translation for Saamagana Priyane Varnam

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Shals

Lyrics and word to word translation for Saamagana Priyane Varnam

Post by Shals »

Namaskara,

Could someone help me with the lyrics and translation of Saamgana Priyane? A Varnam composed by Madurai R Muralidharan in Saptaragamalika set to Khandajathi ata Talam. I will attach a link to the audio so it is easier. It would be of great help if you could manage to list the 7 ragas used in the varnam as well. Looking forward to this. If there is an old post discussion about it please do post it(I couldn't find any in the search). Thanks in advance.

https://www.jiosaavn.com/song/saamagaan ... BAoUBxfUFk

Lakshman

Re: Lyrics and word to word translation for Saamagana Priyane Varnam

Post by Lakshman »

corrections welcome:
sAmagAna priyanE. rAgamAlikA. Madurai Muralidharan.

(rAgA: yamunAkalyANi)
P: sAmagAna priyanE haranE sadAshiva naTarAjanE varam aruL tA
(rAgA: gauLa)
A: kANa kaNkOTi vENDumE undan Ananda tANDAvan dinam tillai nagar tannil
(rAgA: kharaharapriyA)
pAdam paNiyum aDiyavar nalam tannai pENum karuNAkaranE
(rAgA: pUrvikalyANi)
tALAm bhAvam rAgam koNDu naTanamADum tAnandam illAda rUpan
koTTum Damarugamum dishai eTTum mukha oliyil taka tattOm takatakiTa ena naTam puriyavaL
paTTum pavazha maNi uDal toTTu tuvaLa oruviDi neTri tigazhavenrIr
aNindavanai viNNum puagzhndivE maNNum magizhndiDavE eNNum aDiyargaL kurai agaTriDum nal
C: tayum Anavan nI tandaiyum avaniyil vindaiyum aDiyavar
tondamum Anavan santatam vandaruL nejamum magizhndiDavE
(rAgA: SaNmukhapriyA)
1: mahAdEvan shivashankaranE tumbi varum gangaiyinai
shiramtanilE agam magizha aNindadoru
(rAgA: bAgEshrI)
2: mAmazhai tarum mukhilAi mA tavam perum payanAi
mAmarai tarum poruLAi mAniDarkkarum varanAi
mAsaru malai manamAi tigahzbavanE
mAmadurai tanil mAdavaLai maNamAlaiyum shUDiya
mAn mazhuvEndirum madoru bhangA mAmatiyai shUdiyavA
manam kanivAi
(rAgA: rEvati)
3: pAyum puli kizhikk-ADaiyAkkiyE pAmbeDutta ninrADinAi
umai pAdan mandira vEdam koNDu tan pAdar-silambena ATTinAi
paDu bAdhakam seidiDum muyalaganai un pAda maDiyinil nATTinAi
dinam patanjaliyum paNindiDum nal paramporuLE

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I’ll try my hand at the translation in a day or two.

Shals

Post by Shals »

Really appreciate taking out time to do this Lakshmanji & Shankarji. :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I don’t see the lyrics for the uttarAnga of the varNam... it stops with the muktAyi svara sAhityam.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar: I have added the missing lyrics in Post #2. If you need the audio let me know.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Shals wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 18:05 Namaskara,

Could someone help me with the lyrics and translation of Saamgana Priyane? A Varnam composed by Madurai R Muralidharan in Saptaragamalika set to Khandajathi ata Talam. I will attach a link to the audio so it is easier. It would be of great help if you could manage to list the 7 ragas used in the varnam as well. Looking forward to this. If there is an old post discussion about it please do post it(I couldn't find any in the search). Thanks in advance.

https://www.jiosaavn.com/song/saamagaan ... BAoUBxfUFk
Here you go. Apologies for the delay.
(rAgA: yamunAkalyANi)
pallavi
sAmagAna priyanE haranE sadAshiva naTarAjanE varam aruL

Oh Siva (haranE, sadASiva naTarAjanE) [1], who loves (priyanE) the chanting of sAma vEda (sAma gAna), grant (aruL) (me) boons/grace (varam)

(rAgA: gauLa)
anupallavi
kANa kaNkOTi vENDumE undan Ananda tANDAvan dinam tillai nagar tannil
One needs (vENDumE) countless (kODi/kOTi) eyes (kaN) to see/behold (kANa) your (undan) Ananda tANDavam in (tanil) the city (nagar) of Chidambaram (tillai) daily (dinam).

pAdam paNiyum aDiyavar nalam tannai pENum karuNAkaranE
The compassionate one (karuNAkaranE) who fosters/takes care to ensure (pENum) the prosperity/welfare (nalam tannai) of those devotees (aDiyavar) who bow down (paNiyum) at (his) feet (pAdam).

(rAgA: pUrvikalyANi)
tALAm bhAvam rAgam koNDu naTanamADum tAnantam illAda rUpan
koTTum Damarukamum dishai eTTum muzhav(u)oliyil taka tattOm takatakiTa ena naTam puriya veN

paTTum pavazha maNi uDal toTTu tuvaLa oruvizhi neTRi tigazha veNNIr
aNindavanai viNNum pugazhndiDavE maNNum magizhndiDavE eNNum aDiyavargaL kuRai agaTRiDum nal (sAmagAna…)

One with a form (rUpan) that has no (illAda) end (tAnantam) who dances (naTanamADum) with/to the accompaniment of (koNDu) rhythm (tALam), expression of emotions (bhAvam), and melody (rAgam), one who dances (naTam puriya) to the sounds (oliyil) of the beating (koTTum) Damaru (Damarukamum), and the drum (muzhavu) that spreads in all eight (eTTum) directions (disai) and goes (ena) “taka tattOm takatakiTa”, and white (veN) silks (paTTum) and coral (pavazha) and precious gems (maNi) touch (toTTu) his body (uDal) and quiver (tuvaLa), and one (oru) eye (vizhi) shines (tigazha) on the forehead (neTRi), as the heavens (viNNum) praise (pugazhndiDavE), and the earth(lings) (maNNum) rejoice (magizhndiDavE), the One who wears (aNindavanai) vibhUti (veNNIr)! (Oh Siva who loves the chanting of) the superlative (nal) (sAma vEda), the one who removes/destroys (agaTRiDum) the worries (kuRai) of devotees (aDiyavargaL) who think (eNNum) (of you), (grant (me) boons/grace).

caraNa sAhityam
tAyumAnavan nI tandaiyum avaniyil vindaiyum aDiyavar sondamum Anavan santatam vandaruL nenjamum magizhndiDavE

One who became (Anavan) a mother (tAyum) [2], you (nI) also became (Anavan) a father (tandaiyum), a wonder (vindaiyum) in this world (avaniyil), and a family member/relative (sondamum) of your devotees (aDiyavar), please come (vandu) and shower your grace (aruL) (on me) eternally (santatam), so that my heart (nenjamum) may delight (magizhndiDavE).

(rAgA: SaNmukhapriyA)
caraNasvara sAhityam 1
mahAdEvan shivashankaranE pongi varum
gangaiyinai siramtanilE agam kuLira aNindadoru (tAyum Anavan nI…)

Oh mighty lord (mahAdEvan), Siva (Siva SaMkaranE) [3], the one who bears (aNindadu) a (oru) raging (pongi varum) gangA (gangaiyinai) on (tanilE) his head (siram) to cool (kuLira) the mind/soul (agam), (you are the one who became a mother, and a father….)

(rAgA: bhAgESrI)
caraNasvara sAhityam 2
mAmazhai tarum mukilAi mA tava perum payanAi
mAmaRai tarum poruLAi mAniDarkk(u)arum varanAi
mAsaRu malai manamAi tigahzbavanE
mAmadurai tanil mAd(u)avaLai maNamAlaiyum sUDiya
mAn mazhuvEndiDum mAd(u)oru pangA mAmatiyai sUdiyavA
manam kanivAi (tAyum Anavan nI…)

Oh lord who is resplendent (tigazhbavanE) like: a cloud (mugilAi/mukilAi) that gives/showers (tarum) heavy (mA) rains (mazhai); the weighty (perum) fruit/result/meaning (payanAi) of severe (mA) penance (tavam); the essence (poruLai) offered (tarum) by the great (mA) vEdic works (maRai); the unique (arum) boon/gift (varanAi) to humans (mAniDarkku); the purpose (manamAi) of the blemishless (mAsaRu) mountain (malai) [4]! Oh one who bears (EndiDum) a deer (mAn) and an axe (mazhu) [5] and shares (pangA) (body) with a (oru) woman (mAdu), who married (maNamAlaiyum sUDiya) that woman (mAdavaLai) in (tanil) the grand (mA) (city of) Madurai, who is adorned (sUDiya) with a big moon (mAmatiyai/mAmadiyai) [6], (you are the one who became a mother, and a father….) with a compassionate (kanivAi) heart (manam).

(rAgA: rEvati)
caraNasvara sAhityam 3
pAyum puli kizhitt-ADaiyAkkiyE pAmbeDuttu ninrADinAi
umai bhAgan mandira vEdam koNDu tan pAda-silambena AkkinAi
paDu bAdhakam seidiDum muyalaganai un pAdamaDiyinil nATTinAi
dinam patanjaliyum paNindiDum nal paramporuLE (tAyum Anavum nI…)

You stayed (ninRu) and danced (ADinAi) after tearing (kizhittu) the tiger (puli) that sprang (pAyum) at you and holding (eDuttu) the snake (pAmbu) (that came at you) [5]. Oh lord who is a part (bhAgan) of pArvati (umai), you made (AkkinAi) the vEdic hymns (mandira vEdam) into (ena) anklets (silambu) for your (tan) feet (pAda). You established (nATTinAi) the demon Muyalakan (muyalakanai), who was creating (seidiDum) major (paDu) road blocks/hindrances (pAtakam/bAdhakam) at the bottom (aDiyinil) of your (un) feet (pAdam). Oh excellent (nal) and supreme being (paramporuLE), who is worshipped/bowed down to (paNindiDum) by the sage, Patanjali (patanjaliyum) every day (dinam), (you are the one who became a mother, and a father….).

FOOTNOTES
[1] The names of Siva include hara – destroyer/remover of all ills; sadASiva – one who is always/eternally(sadA) auspicious (Siva); naTarAja – the king/lord of the naTas and naTis – practitioners of the nATya vEda
[2] tAyum Anavan (mAtRbhUtESvara) refers to the story where Siva takes the form of a mother to help one of his ardent devotees deliver a baby
[3] SankaranE/SaMkarane – Siva’s name that describes how he is the creator (karanE) of auspiciousness (SaM)
[4] I have no idea what mAsaRu malai manam means, and have translated it to the best of my understanding – hopefully, one of the others can clarify
[5] The deer, the axe, the snake, the tiger, and the ball of fire that Siva is often depicted as holding in his hands represent the ‘weapons’ that the 3000 haughty ascetics in dArukA vanam invoked using their powers to ‘take care’ of the naked (digambar) young man (Siva in disguise) who was ‘tormenting’ them – Siva subdues the snake and places it as a garland around his neck, and he grabs the deer with extremely sharp antlers (sAranga) and the battle axe and holds them in his hands as if they were toys; he skins the tiger and wears the skin around his waist, and holds the fire that burns ‘cool’ in yet another hand of his – when the ascetics realize their mistake, they seek his forgiveness – Siva, not only forgives them, but agrees to be enshrined in the area – present day Chidambaram
[6] I am puzzled at the reference to mAmadi – as the moon on Siva’s forehead is a ‘kalA’ – a digit, or 1/16th of the moon – called piRai in tamizh (Siva is candrakalAdhara, or piRai sUDum perumAn)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Please note the corrections to the lyrics based on what I hear.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks for the corrections rshankar.

Shals

Post by Shals »

Thanks a lot Shankar ji.

raghavasimhan

Post by raghavasimhan »

Shankar ji.. Note 5.. Ma = Tamizh Unit of measure equalling 1/20

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

rshankar wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 04:46 ...
I am puzzled at the reference to mAmadi – as the moon on Siva’s forehead is a ‘kalA’ – a digit, or 1/16th of the moon – called piRai in tamizh (Siva is candrakalAdhara, or piRai sUDum perumAn)
One of the meanings of the Tamil word 'mA' is 'beautiful' !
'mAmadi' means 'beautiful moon'.

In his famous 'tiruttANDakam', Saint TirunAvukkarasar has used the expression 'mAmadi'. He calls 'piRai' as 'mAmadi' ! Here is the song:-

திருநாவுக்கரசர்
திருத் தாண்டகம்

ஆதிக்கண்ணான் முகத்தில் ஒன்று சென்று(வ்)
அல்லாத சொல் உரைக்கத் தன் கை வாளால்
சேதித்த திருவடியை, செல்ல நல்ல
சிவலோகநெறி வகுத்துக் காட்டுவானை,
மா மதியை, மாது ஓர்கூறுஆயினானை,
மா மலர்மேல் அயனோடு மாலும் காணா
நாதியை, நம்பியை, நள்ளாற்றானை,---
நான்அடியேன் நினைக்கப்பெற்று உய்ந்தஆறே!

The same expression is used by him in another song also:-

திருஅதிகைவீரட்டம்