Notation - Varnam - gAnamisaithu ninrAno by Madurai Muralidh

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Mahadevan

Post by Mahadevan »

Hi,

Does anyone has the notation for the Varnam "gAnamisaithu ninrAno" by Madurai Muralidharan (Ragamaligai).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Mahadevan

Email: iynkaranmahadevan@gmail.com

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Unfortunately no information is available on either the lyrics or notations of his compositions. I have tried.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

well...my teacher taught me this varnam 2 years ago...however the meaning is a bit complicated....if someone can remind me the lyrics I can give a brief meaning of it.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Try checking with ShrI AS Murali (disciple of ShrI PSN Sir). I heard him render this for an arangERRam for which I wasn't able to stay throughout to converse with him.
Last edited by kmrasika on 05 Jan 2009, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

Mahadevan

Post by Mahadevan »

Thanks all. I will try all options. If I do get access will let you know.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

i would like to revive this thread.... :D

I am looking for the proper meaning of this varnam as it is very blurry to me..especially the part where it goes "gAnam kEkave sendrayO..."

However I will try to write the lyrics below and I hope someone can give the correct meaning for me:

gAnam isaithu ninrAyo Enai marandhu kAranam onru solvAyo kanna kuzhalil
mAnam kAkave senDrAyO oru murai mA mukham kATi selvAyo mani vanna
gAnam kekave sendrayo uDan vara tAmadam ennum sEvayo kanna mazhandu
nElam nirai vanna meniyanE inimel nE varum vElai solvayo karunaikonDu

kAlingan mEdinai nal naTanam sevai padam puzhindayO kamsanai venDru
kalaitanayo maamanai kazham pUkiyai ennayum mazhandanayo kannA

Ananda konDu natanamADi varuvayo gopiyargal shOnDiDave
gEtai muzhaitu nalla pAdai vagutai mAdhavA
mADam tozhum oli mAmani dEpam mAyam undan vazhi mAdargal nADava mAnasheegamai mAyam seyyAmal mAnanai tEDiyai mAlai iDadaruvai
sAhasam nI seyvadenna kannA kAranam inDriye karunai seyyamal mAmugam kATavum manam iraingavunAl pAirum pAdinai pagal iravAga
tAmadam inriyai kavittiDum vedaiku nI manamneginzhdu manam taruvAya sAgaram mEdinil pAvanaminmel valli konDu parandAma padamnADa

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

What is the rAgA and tALa of this varNa?

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Lakshman wrote:What is the rAgA and tALa of this varNa?
It is a rAgamALikA but I'm not sure of the rAgAs in the various sections. The pallavi is in valaji and the ciTTasvara (I think) dhanyAsi. I know the caraNam line is in cArukEShi. The sAhitya is an entire precis of the events surrounding kr.shNa's life.
Last edited by kmrasika on 10 Jun 2009, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Saawariya - can you point me towards an audio link for this varNam - I need more clarity wrt some of the words.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

sent to you already Ravi. got it?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes - give me a couple of days - will post the padArtha...

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar: Please post the lyrics as well. Thanks.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here are the lyrics - padArtha to follow:

pallavi
(kaNNA kuzhalil) gAnam iSaittu ninrAyO Ezhai maranda kAraNam onru SollAyO
mAnam kAkkavE SenrAyO oru murai mAmukham kATTi SelvAyO maNivaNNA (gAnam iSaittu"¦)

anupallavi
dAnam kETkavE SenrAyO uDan vara tAmadam innum SeivAyO kaNNa marandu
nIlam niRai vaNNa mEniyanE inimEl nI varum vELai SolvAyO karuNai koNDu (gAnam iSaittu"¦)

muktAyi svara sAhityam

kALingan mIdinil nal naTanam Seidu vadam purindAyO kamsanai venru
kaLaittanayO mAmalai karam tukkiyE ennaiyum marandanayO kaNNA (gAnam iSaittu"¦)

caraNa sAhityam

Anandam koNDu naTanamADi varuvAyE gOpiyargal sUzhndiDavE

caraNa svara sAhityam 1

gItai uRaittu nalla pAdai vagutta mAdhavA (Anandam koNDu"¦)

caraNa svara sAhityam 2

mADam tOrum oLi mA maNi dIpamum mAyan undan vazhi mAndargaL nADavE
mAnasIkamAi mAyam SeiyyAmal mAnenai tEDiyE mAlaiyiDa varuvAi (Anandam koNDu"¦.)

caraNa svara sAhityam 3

sAhasam nI Seivadenna kaNNA kAraNam inriyE karuNai SeiyyAmal
mA mukham kATTavum manam irangavum nAn pAyiram pADinEn pagal iravAga
tAmadaminriyE tavittiDum pEdaikku nI manam negizhndu varam taruvAyE
sAgaram mIdinil pAmbaNaiyin mEl paLLi koNDa parandAmA padam nADa (Anandam koNDu"¦)
Last edited by rshankar on 12 Jun 2009, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

thanks ravi for the lyrics....and translation also please!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

padArtha - the main thrust of this padavarNam involves the innocent nAyikA making excuses for krishNa's neglect of her. She wonders....

pallavi
(kaNNA kuzhalil) gAnam iSaittu ninrAyO Ezhai maranda kAraNam onru SollAyO
mAnam kAkkavE SenrAyO oru murai mAmukham kATTi SelvAyO maNivaNNA (gAnam iSaittu"¦)

Oh krishNA (kaNNA), will you not give/tell (SollAyO) me a (onru) reason (kAraNam) for having forgotten (maranda) a poor and destitute (Ezhai) person like me? Were so lost (ninrAyO [1]) somewhere, creating (iSaittu ninrAyO [1]) music (gAnam) from your flute (kuzhalil), that you forgot me? OR, did you have to go over (SenrAyO) and protect (kAkkavE) someone's honor (mAnam) [2]! Oh emerald (maNi) hued (vaNNA) one! Will you at the very least, reveal (kATTi) your lovely face (mAmukham) to me for once (oru murai) before you go (SelvAyO)?

anupallavi
dAnam kETkavE SenrAyO uDan vara tAmadam innum SeivAyO kaNNa marandu
nIlam niRai vaNNa mEniyanE inimEl nI varum vELai SolvAyO karuNai koNDu (gAnam iSaittu"¦)

Oh krishNA (kaNNA) will you forget (marandu) once more and create (SeivAyO) delays (tAmadam) to come (vara) to (uDan) me? Was the delay occasioned by your having to go (SenrAyO) and ask (kETkavE) for charity (dAnam) [3] on someone's behalf? Oh! One whose complexion (mEniyanE) is replete (niRai) with a dark/blue (nIla) hue (vaNNa)! Will you (nI) not take (koNDu) pity (karuNai) on me, and inform (SolvAyO) me of the time (vELai) your arrival (varum), henceforth (inimEl)?

muktAyi svara sAhityam

kALingan mIdinil nal naTanam Seidu vadam purindAyO kamsanai venru
kaLaittanayO mAmalai karam tukkiyE ennaiyum marandanaiyO kaNNA (gAnam iSaittu"¦)

Did you not perform (Seidu) an excellent (nal) dance (naTanam Seidu) on top of (mIdinil) kALIya's (kALingan) hood? Did you not vanquish (venru) and kill (vadam purindAyO) the evil kansa (kamsanai)? Did you tire (kaLaittanayO) yourself out by holding up (tUkkiyE) the mighty (mA) mountain (malai) in your hand (karam) [4]? Is that why you forgot (marandanaiyO) everything, including me (ennaiyum), oh krishNA (kaNNA)?

caraNa sAhityam

Anandam koNDu naTanamADi varuvAyE gOpiyargal sUzhndiDavE

Please come (varuvAyE) to me dancing (naTanamADi) with (koNDu) joy (Anandam), surrounded (sUzhndiDavE) by numerous gOpIs (gOpiyargaL).

caraNa svara sAhityam 1

gItai uRaittu nalla pAdai vagutta mAdhavA (Anandam koNDu"¦)

Oh husband (dhavA) of lakshmI (mA) who established/created (vagutta) the correct (nalla) path (pAdai) in life by expounding (uRaittu) the gItA (gItai), (please come dancing to me with joy...)

caraNa svara sAhityam 2

mADam tOrum oLi mA maNi dIpamum mAyan undan vazhi mAndargaL nADavE
mAnasIkamAi mAyam SeiyyAmal mAnenai tEDiyE mAlaiyiDa varuvAi (Anandam koNDu"¦.)

Oh illusionist (mAyan), even as all the women (mAndargaL) look at/seek (nADavE) the path (vazhi) illuminated (oLi) by the large (mA) and excellent (maNI) lamps (dIpamum) in all (tOrum) the mansions lining the street for your (undan) arrival, won't you commit yourself in thought (mAnasIkamAi) and come (varuvAi) (dancing with joy) looking for (tEDiyE) me (enai), this lovely damsel (mAn), to get married (mAlaiyiDa [5]) without any chicanery (mAyam SeiyyAmal)?

caraNa svara sAhityam 3

sAhasam nI Seivad(u)enna kaNNA kAraNam inriyE karuNai SeiyyAmal
mA mukham kATTavum manam irangavum nAn pAyiram pADinEn pagal iravAga
tAmadaminriyE tavittiDum pEdaikku nI manam negizhndu varam taruvAyE
sAgaram mIdinil pAmbaNaiyin mEl paLLi koNDa parandAmA padam nADa (Anandam koNDu"¦)

Why (enna) are you (nI) being (Seivadu) inconsiderate (sAhasam) instead of being (SeiyyAmal) compassionate (karuNai), without (inri) any reason/provocation (kAraNam)? I have sung (pADinEn) countless (Ayiram - literally thousands) songs (pA) in your praise day (pagaL and night (uravAga) for your heart (manam) to take pity (irangavum) on me and show (kATTavum) your lovely face (mAmukham). Without (inriyE) any further delays (tAmadam), with a heart (manam) melting (negizhndu) with love, you (nI) must grant (taruvAyE) the boons (varam) desired by this long-suffering (tavittiDum) dolt of a woman (pEdaikku). As I seek/desire (nADa) the blessings of your feet (padam), (please come dancing with joy...), Oh Lord (parandAmA) who reclines (paLLi koNDa) on (mEl) a bed (aNai) created by the coils of the snake (pAmbu), AdisEsha on top (mIdinil) of the seas (sAgaram)!

FOOTNOTES
[1] ninrAyO - literally means standing
[2] refers to draupadI mAna samrakshaNa in the kuru court when she was being disrobed
[3] Refers to the vAman avatAr, and the gift he asks of mahAbali - for land that was three-feet wide!
[4] Episode of gOvandhan mountain
[5] mAlaiyiDa = mAlai + iDa = place (iDa) a garland (mAlai) around someone's neck - an integral part of a Hindu wedding ceremony and a way of describing the act of getting married

EDITED based on the corrections made by Keerthi...
Last edited by rshankar on 13 Jun 2009, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

rshankar wrote: FOOTNOTES

[3] could refer to one of two episodes:
A) Before the mahAbhArat war, karNa sets aside a day to give alms to the poor, and he was known for his charity - for never allowing anyone to go away empty-handed from his place. krishNa goes disguised as a brAhmaN to karNa when the latter is standing empty-handed after having given away to countless people, and asks karNa for alms. Being the generous soul that he is, karNa says that he has nothing except for the jewelry he is wearing, and krishNa asks for his armor (kavaca) and ear-rings (kuNDala) - gifts from karNa's father, sUrya, that would have protected him and made him invincible. These were always what krishNa wanted to separate from karNa in his ploy to ensure victory to arjuna in the battle between the two brothers, and he achieves that purpose in a rather underhanded way
B) Could refer to the vAman avatAr, and the gift he asks of mahAbali - for land that was three-feet wide!
I think it is Indra, Arjuna's father; who asked for the kavacha-kundala suite,( and gave him a celestial weapon(a sakti) instead.. KrishNa does go and meet karNa, but it is to try and convince him to join his half-brothers, the pANDava-s in the war..

The vAmanavatAra episode seems about right, because the avataram itself was taken upon Aditi-s request, to reinstate her sons, the dEva-s.. vamana took birth, to go ask for a dAnam.

Another unlikely possibility, is that it may be a reference to Krishna going as a peace envoy, to request for 5 villages for the pANDava-s, as a last attempt to avert the war..

And doesn't mayan also mean the same as mAdhavan..?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

OOPS - Keerthi - you are correct - it was indra who obtained the kavaca kunDala from karNa, not krishNa...I will EDIT my post...

mAyan AFAIK is the illusionist - and can't be split to mean the husband of lakshmi.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

thanks so much ravi!
I was very confused with the anupallavi's first line... i kept hearing it as gAnam ketkatve instead of dAnam ketkave and I was wondering why would Krishna go to hear music!

Also the sAhasam nI seivadu(enna) kanna...i though sAhasam was like courage? but you mentioned it as inconsideration..so that also changed the meaning for me...

However I would like to ask as keerti mentioned, why does Krishna go to ask for 5 villages for pandavas ? I am not familiar with this story...enlighten me?

this varnam is indeed with intense devotion to Lord Krishna....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Saawariya,

Here is the story. Keerthi will correct it if I have made any mistakes.

According to mahAbhArat, when the pANDavA's lose in the fateful final Satranj kA khEl, they are asked to go away into exile (vanvAs) for 13 years, the last year to be spent incognito (agnyAtvAs), with the understanding that should they succeed in doing so, they could return to their kingdom. But that is not what duryOdhan has in mind, and he refuses to relinquish their kingdom. In an effort to avoid war, krishNa convinces the brothers to be satisfied with 5 villages, and proceeds to ask duryOdhan to give back at least 5 villages. When the latter refuses to do so, the pANDavAs are left with no recourse but war.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

right... as far as i know, this 5 villages story was not mentioned or even remembering seeing it on the serial ..hmmm...
something new i learnt now.
thanks!

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

is the audio of this varnam available???
either online..... or commercial cd..... or has anyone danced to it on youtube????
just want to listen.... :)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks rshankar for the lyrics.

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

any result for the audio............. ???

JaiNarayan

Re:

Post by JaiNarayan »

keerthi wrote: 13 Jun 2009, 17:24
rshankar wrote: FOOTNOTES

[3] could refer to one of two episodes:
A) Before the mahAbhArat war, karNa sets aside a day to give alms to the poor, and he was known for his charity - for never allowing anyone to go away empty-handed from his place. krishNa goes disguised as a brAhmaN to karNa when the latter is standing empty-handed after having given away to countless people, and asks karNa for alms. Being the generous soul that he is, karNa says that he has nothing except for the jewelry he is wearing, and krishNa asks for his armor (kavaca) and ear-rings (kuNDala) - gifts from karNa's father, sUrya, that would have protected him and made him invincible. These were always what krishNa wanted to separate from karNa in his ploy to ensure victory to arjuna in the battle between the two brothers, and he achieves that purpose in a rather underhanded way
B) Could refer to the vAman avatAr, and the gift he asks of mahAbali - for land that was three-feet wide!
I think it is Indra, Arjuna's father; who asked for the kavacha-kundala suite,( and gave him a celestial weapon(a sakti) instead.. KrishNa does go and meet karNa, but it is to try and convince him to join his half-brothers, the pANDava-s in the war..

The vAmanavatAra episode seems about right, because the avataram itself was taken upon Aditi-s request, to reinstate her sons, the dEva-s.. vamana took birth, to go ask for a dAnam.

Another unlikely possibility, is that it may be a reference to Krishna going as a peace envoy, to request for 5 villages for the pANDava-s, as a last attempt to avert the war..

And doesn't mayan also mean the same as mAdhavan..?
It could either mean the episode just before Karna dies; he has fallen from his chariot, and when he lay there, writhing in pain, KRISHNA came in the guise of a Brahmin and asked for his kundalas. Even in the face of death, Karna did one last act of charity before passing away. Thus is even depicted in the song 'Ullathil nalla ullam' in the movie Karnan, with the excellent Shivaji Ganesan sir as Karna.
It could also be taken to mean the Vamana episode.