Konjum Sadangai Tigazhum varnam lyrics and meaning

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
saawariya

Post by saawariya »

Dear rasikas,

could anyone help post the varnam "Konjum Salangai Tigadum" lyrics and meanings please?

I have searched a lot but could not get much.

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by saawariya on 07 Apr 2009, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Is this from a film?

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

No, I believe it is a composition by Madhurai N Krishnan is Charukesi ragam. I am not very sure though.
I can email you the song?

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

If you can give me your email address I can email you the audio...
Last edited by saawariya on 28 Mar 2009, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

dnayar

Post by dnayar »

This is Madurai R Muralidharan's varnam..isn't it in Lathangi?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes - it is in latAngI and a composition of Madurai R Muralidharan's. It is available in one of the kalAvardhani CDs.

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

Nrithyopasana is the series... not sure of the volume #.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

Yes i guess it is lathangi.... i am not very good with ragas :(
I hope someone can help me with the lyrics and meaning?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

If Lji doesn't have it, give me some time to listen to it and transcribe...

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is my first attampt in transcribing the lyrics from the audio clip. I will listen again to see if changes need to be made.

konjum sadangai tigazhum. rAgA: latAngi. Adi tALA.

P: konjum sadangai tigazhum un tiruvaDi tanjam enrE paNindEn paramporuLE
A: nanjinai amudenavE umaiyavaDil nenjam anjiDa unadaruL purindAi
(muktAyisvara sAhitya)
pancabhUta vaDivAga mA perum prapancam yAvilum nI niraindAi
shen shaDai mIdinil candiran kUDiya cancalam ponnavanE
C: nadi tanai noDiyinil pariyena mATrinAl sarigai uDuttu tiruman
sumandavanE tiruvaDi nADinEn arumukham tEDinEn
arum perum varam tarum guNanidhiyE
1: naTanam ADiDum naTEsA latAngi iNaindu nayamuDanE
2: sAmagAnan tanil tanai maran-agam magizhndavuDan
3: nAthanum naDanginai iru vizhiyum nALum un darishanam
kANa viraidiDum malar padam ninaivuDan kavi sollum pagaulm
iravum uzhavum tavamirundu
4: nI virishaDai puliyuDaiyan nI hariharanum nI kali ulagil nI
karuNai kaDal nI padam tani muni tozhum paraman nI varam
aruLAi
5: tAm dhIm pa dha ni sa ni dha ena isai nAdam malai aruviyena
pozhiya pADum aDiyargaL kaLittiDa niraivu padam kUTTi
anudinamum ADal palavidam pADum palakkai uDukkai piDittE
isaittum azhagil magizhnda vaNanga tattajham tatikiTa tam
tajham tatikiTatam tadhIm ena bhuvi magizha

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

thank you Lji,

if the meaning could also be provided..would be grateful...
actually preparing for performance in May...so hpefully i can choreograph by then.

many thanks!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

saawariya, I finally found the version I have - I will check Lji transcription and make corrections as needed. Give me a couple of days to post the padArtha.

Here is the pallavi and anupallavi to get you started:

pallavi
konjum sadangai tigazhum un tiruvaDi tanjam enr(u)unai paNindEn paramporuLE

Oh supreme (param) essence (poruLE) of this universe! Considering (enru) your (un) divine (tiruvaDi) feet (aDi) that shine (tigazhum) with anklets (sadangai) that seem to caress (konjum) them to be my only support/prop/succor (tanjam) in this world, I have bowed down (paNindEn) to you (unai).

anupallavi
nanjinai amudenavE umaiavaLin nenjamum anjiDa unD(u)aruL purindAi

You showered your grace (aruL purindAi) on us by consuming (unDu) poison (nanjinai) as it it were nectar (amudenavE), even as pAravtI's (umai avaLin) heart (nejamum) trembled/hesitated (anjiDa) in fear [1]!

[1] Once, when the Gods were losing their strength and vitality, they were told that deep in the ocean lay a pot containing the nectar of immortality. They managed to convince the serpent vAsuki to be the churning rope and the mount mandara to be the churn. Discovering that by themselves, they did not possess the wherewithal to churn the milky ocean, they decided to rope the demons in by promising them some of the nectar. When all was set, and they started to churn, to their dismay, mandara started to sink. vishNu then assumed the form of a tortoise (kUrma) and went under water and bore the mountain on his back preventing it from sinking. The churning now began in earnest, and the first to emerge were the poison, halAhalam. As the poisonous fumes spread, the very existence of all life forms was threatened. Everyone prayed to Siva for help. He appeared on the scene with pArvati, and scooped up the poison and swallowed it. The halAhalam was so potent that he started to sway under its influence. A scared and anxious pArvati holds his neck, preventing the poison from spreading any further. His neck however darkens from the poison, and he becomes nIlakaNThan forever. A tired Siva lies down on pArvatI's lap (a temple on the outskirts of Madras has a reclining Siva - hAlam unDa ISan - the lord who consumed poison - and pArvati is worshipped as sarva mangaLa - the dEvi who saves every woman's mAngalya, hers included). After Siva takes care of the poison, when the moon comes out of the sea, the gods offer it/him to Siva who places it/him on his matted locks. (The other things that come out include mahAlakshmI, several precious jewels, and ultimately, the nectar of immortality - the gods with the help of vishNu as mOhini, trick the demons and keep the nectar to themselves).
Last edited by rshankar on 06 Apr 2009, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

saawariya/Mods: A request - please change the title to 'konjum sadangai tigazhum'!

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

rshankarji,

thanks for the meaning so far....eagerly waiting for the rest :)

i dont know how to change the title of the.....:(
how do i do it?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

saawariya, edit your first post and it will then allow you to change the "topic subject" line.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Next installment:

muktAyisvara sAhityam
pancabhUta vaDivAga mA perum prapancam yAvilum nI niraindAi
Sen SaDai mIdinil candiran SUDiya cancalam tIrkum ponnambalavANanE
nari tanai noDiyinil pariyena mATriya kariyai urittu Siram maN sumandavanE
tiruvaDi nADinEn aruL mukham tEDinEn arum perum varam tarum guNanidhiyE

You (nI) are manifest/replete in (niraindAi) in every aspect (yAvilum) of this mighty (mA perum) universe/creation (prapancam) in the form (vaDivAga) of the five (panca) elements (bhUta) [2]. Oh Lord of the golden (pon) assembly (ambalavANanE) in cidambaram who destroys/removes (tIrkum) our anxieties (cancalam), you bear (SUDiya) the moon (candiran) on (mIdinil) your matted locks (Sen SaDai). Oh Lord who changed (mATriya) a leash of foxes (nari tanai) into a herd of horses (pariyena) [3], who skinned (uritta) the elephant (kari) you vanquished [4], and who carried (sumandavanE) bags of sand (maN) on his head (Siram) [5]! Oh pre-eminent (arum), great (perum) repository (nidhiyE) of character (guNa) and granter (tarum) of boons (varam) I have sought (nADinEn) your divine (tiru) feet (aDi) and have searched (tEDinEn) for your benevolent (aruL) face (mukham).

[2] panca bhUta - the five elements are fire, wind, water, earth, and ether/space. In various combinations, they are thought to make up the composition of all creation. These elements are all considered to be manifestations of Siva worshipped in the panca bhUta sthalams (appu/water in jambukESvaram, agni/fire in tiruvaNNAmalai, prithvi/earth in kAncIpuram, vAyu/wind in kALahasti, and AkASa/ether in cidambaram). The various iterations of this part of the sAhityam can be used to show the 5 elements.
[3] Refers to the legend of mANikkavAcakar, one of the 63 Saivaite saints/nAyanmArs. Before he became a renunciate, he was in royal service as a minister. Once, his king gave him money to procure a heard of Arabian horses from the coast. On his way to the horse traders, mANikkavAcakar gets side-tracked, and is initiated into Siva bhakti mArga, and forgets all about his royal command. He uses the money in his possession to build a large temple for Siva (AruDaiyAr kOvil). Soon, the king's men catch up with him, and in desperation, he turns to Siva for help - Siva comes to him in his dream and asks him to catch a leash of foxes. When mANikkavAcakar does that, Siva converts them into a herd of strong Arabian steeds which are lead to the king who is overjoyed. That night, the horses revert to their original forms (as foxes), and the king imprisons mANikkavAcakar, and when he learns the truth, he is impressed with his former minister's devotion and releases him.
[4] Siva kills an elephant-faced demon called gajamukhAsuran, who attacks him in the form of an elephant. After killing the demon, Siva skins the elephant, and uses the elephant skin to cover his bare chest (angavastram) - and he is referred to as 'gaja carmAmbara dhara' - one who wears elephant skin. (Siva is depicted wearing a tiger skin as his lower garment, around his waist, and elephant skin as his upper garment, over his chest)
[5] Once, when the levies broke and the waters from the river vaigai threatened to flood the city of madurai, the pANDya king commanded that every family/household should send one person to carry bags of sand to dam the breach. In the city lived a very devout devotee of Siva, an old woman with no children or family to send. Since she herself was too feeble and weak to work herself, she feared the wrath of the king. Siva comes to her as a strong young man, and offers to work in her place, in return for a handful of piTTu (made of rice flour and jaggery). After getting his payment in advance, he goes to work, but after carrying a couple of bags, he falls asleep. The king who walks by supervising the work, becomes enraged and lashes at the youth with his whip - as the whip flick's the young man's back he disappears, but every living creature experiences the stinging of that lash and the king realizes the youth's identity!
Last edited by rshankar on 07 Apr 2009, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

thanks vasanthakokilum!

rshankarji, have changed the title. and thanks for the muktayisvara sahityam installment :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Next part:

caraNam
naTanam ADiDum naTEsA latAngi iNaindu layamuDanE

Oh Lord (ISA) of dancers (naTa), who dances (naTanam AdiDum) with (uDanE) perfect time/rhythm (layam) in the company (iNaindu) of pArvati (latAngi) [6].

caraNasvara sAhityam 1
sAmagAnan tanil tanai marand(u)agam magizhnduDan varum

As his mind (agam) delights (magizhndu) even as he forgets (marandu) himself (tanai) in (tanil) the chanting of the sAma vEda (sAmagAnam), he is the Lord who will come (varum) along (uDan) to enjoy good music.

[6] latAngI literally means a woman with limbs (angi) that are as slender and graceful as a creeper (latA) - this is also the rAga mudra in this composition. So, an alternate interpretation of the caraNa sAhityam could be - Oh Lord (ISA) of dancers (naTa), who dances (naTanam AdiDum) to the perfect union (uDanE) of music/rAga (latAngi) and tALa (layamuDan).

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

rshankarji,

i did not know Latangi was referring to Parvati. Really a wonderful meaning to caranam and can be portrayed in dance pretty well.

thanks and eagerly waiting for the rest too:)

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

however i did not understand when you mentioned ponnambalavANanE as lord of golden assembly.
please explain a bit more.
thanks,

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

saawariya:

Here you go:

pon = golden
ambala = theater/assembly (sabhA)
vANan = resident (of) (vANanE - is addressing or calling out to the vANan)

ponambalavANan therefore refers to Siva as the resident of the golden assembly or sabhA - cidambaram is the golden sabhA, so this refers to Siva in his form as naTarAja, the presiding deity of cidambaram.

There are 5 halls/assemblies/sabhAs for the dancing Lord:

golden - ponambalam/kanaka sabhA - in cidambaram
silver - veLLiambalam/rajata sabhA - in madurai
copper - tAmira sabhai/tAmra sabhA - in tiruNelveli
gem - rattina sabhai/ratna sabhA - in tiruvAlankADu
pictures - cittira sabhai/citra sabhA - in kuTrAlam

Hope this helped.

poonmahe

Post by poonmahe »

Seems very beautiful vernam. Is there an Audio to listen to it.
Saawaria, are the live musicians going to compose/play it? Do you have the Audio?

Thanks

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

yes rshankarji...it clarifies the point. thanks!

poonmahe...i have a recording....it is as below:
http://www.4shared.com/file/95860707/e4 ... gadum.html

poonmahe

Post by poonmahe »

Thanks So much

Poonam

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

caraNa svara sAhityam 2
nAth(d)A un azhaginai kANum iru vizhiyum nALum un dariSanam kANa vizhaindiDum
malar padam ninaindiDum tavittu(u)Lam pagalum iravum uzhalum tavamirundu

Oh Lord (nAthA)! Even as both (iru) my eyes (vizhiyum) feast upon (kAnum) your (un) beauty (azhaginai), they long for/desire to (vizhaindiDum) behold (kANa) your (un) auspicious vision (dariSanam) at all times (nALum). My soul (uLam) which is steadfast in meditating (ninaindiDum) upon your lotus-like (malar) feet (padam) will suffer (tavittu) and swirl around (uzhalum) in penance (tavam irundu) continually (pagalum - during the day, and iravum - during the night).

caraNasvara sAhityam 3
nI viriSaDaiyn nI puliyuDaiyan nI hariharanum nI kali ulagil nI
karuNai kaDal nI patanjali muni tozhum paraman nI varam aruLvAi

My lord! You (nI) are the one with loose (viri), matted locks (SaDaiyan), draped in a tiger-skin (puli) garment (uDaiyan). You are both vishNu (hari) as well as Siva (haranum). In this kaliyug (kali ulagil), you (nI) are the repository/ocean (kaDal) of mercy and compassion (karuNai). You (nI) are the supreme one (paraman) whom the sage patanjali worships (tozhum). Please grant (aruLvAi) me the boons (varam) I seek!

caraNasvara sAhityam 4
tAm dhIm taka dhimi taka jana vena nAdam malai aruvi izhaindu vara
pADum aDiyargaL kaLittADa idadu pAdam tUkki anudinamum ADal palavidamum
valakkai uDukkai piDittE iSaikkum azhagil murali magizhndu vaNaNga
tattajham ga ri sa ni da tajam tarikiTa tom ri sa ni da pa tadhImi yena

Even as the strains of music (nAdam) that go (vena) 'tAm dhIm taka dhimi taka jana' come (vara) cascading (izhaindu vara) like a waterfall (aruvi) in the mountains (malai), my Lord, you lift (tUkki) up your left (idadu) foot (pAdam) to perform several different types (palavidamum) of dances (ADal) on a daily basis (anudinamum) so that the devotees (aDiyargaL) who sing your praises (pADum) can dance (ADa) in joy (kaLittu). Delighting (magizhndu) in your beauty (azhagil) as you dance and make music (iSaikkum) with the drum (uDukkai) that you hold (piDittE) in your right (vala) hand (kai), the composer, muraLi [7], bows (vaNaNga) down to you, my Lord, who dances to the jati svara sequence that goes (yena) 'tattajham ga ri sa ni da tajam tarikiTa tom ri sa ni da pa tadhImi'.

[7] The composer is Madurai Sri R. Muralidharan, and muraLi is his mudra
Last edited by rshankar on 12 Apr 2009, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

thank you so much rshankarji!

now i shall be able to perform this varnam all thanks to your translation.

however I must say that this varnam is one the most beautiful compositions i have heard and the ragam is very melodious. everytime i listen to it i get goosebumps! just so spiritually elevating....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

saawariya - you are welcome. Maybe you can share your performance with us!

saawariya

Post by saawariya »

i will try to post it....if the recording comes good :)

kala mandhir

Re: Konjum Sadangai Tigazhum varnam lyrics and meaning

Post by kala mandhir »

Tq very much.

JaiNarayan

Post by JaiNarayan »

Such a beautiful varnam! It is commonly dance in my dance school.
I just wanted to know, in my dance class they usually sing as 'hari ayanum nee' (charanshvara sahithyam 3) meaning 'you are both brahma and vishnu'. Doesn't this also make sense?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

JaiNarayan wrote: 31 Oct 2017, 12:49I just wanted to know, in my dance class they usually sing as 'hari ayanum nee' (charanshvara sahithyam 3) meaning 'you are both brahma and vishnu'. Doesn't this also make sense?
hari - ayanum nI can also be correct, but I think hari-haranum is more appropriate as Siva is supposed to appeared as SankaranArAyaNan in Sankaran kOvil to show pArvati that Siva and vishNu were the same. This form (of SankaranArAyaNan) is glorified in the verse "tAzh SaDaiyum, nIL muDiyum, pon-mazhuvum, cakkaramum....."

sathirdance

Post by sathirdance »

Hari-Haranum - is correct, and is what was originally written by the composer.
Last edited by sathirdance on 01 Nov 2017, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you!

shrinik

Post by shrinik »

is it possible to get the notation of this varnam pls

sands98

Post by sands98 »

Could someone share the notation for this varnam please?

My email is ssks7176@gmail.com

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The varNa is by Madurai Muralidharan. Notions for his songs are not available.