need lyrics n meanings shri krishna kamalanato

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Deepa Bhat

Post by Deepa Bhat »

need lyrics n meanings for ritigoula varna - shri krishna kamalanatho. pls hlp me...if u know any cd / casette which has this song pls let me know

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

shrI krSNaha kamalanAthO (pv). rAgA: rItigauLa. Adi tALA. Composer: Bangalore T.Shrinivas. (adapted from shri krishna ashtakam)

P: shrI krSnaha kamalanAthO vAsudEvaha sanAtanaha
vAsudEvAtmajAha puNyO lIlA mAnuSa vigrahaha
A: dEvaki nandanaha shrIshO nandagOpa priyAtmajaha
pUtanA jIvita haraha shakaTAsura bhanjanaha
(muktAyisvara sAhitya)
shODasha strI sahasrEsha stribhangi madhurAkritihi
shukavAkaha amrtAbdhIndur gOvindO yOginAm patihi
C: gOpa gOpIshvarO yOgI kOTi sUrya samaprabhaha
1.uttAla tAla bheEktA ca tamAla shyAmalA kritihi
2.ILApatihi paramjyotir yAdavEndrO yadUdvadaha
3.vanamAli pItavAsAha pArijAtApahArakaha
gOvardhanaca lOddhartA gOpAlaha sarvapAlakaha
4.kALIya phana mANikya ranjita shrI padAmbujaha
pArthasArathiravyaktO gItAamrta mahOdadhihi
jalakrIDA samAsakthA gOpI vastrApahArakaha
puNyashlokO tIrthapAdO vEdavEdyO dayAnidhihi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Deepa,

Here is my attempt at padArtha. Mistakes will be fixed by Keerthi or Rajani.

kamalanAthO - Lord (nAtha) of lakshmI (kamala)
vAsudEvaha - krishNa
sanAtanaha - one who is eternal, permanent
vasudEvAtmajaha - son (Atmajaha) of vasudEva
puNyO - holy
lIlA mAnusha vigrahaha - one who is the human (mAnusha) embodiment (vigraha) of divine acts (lIlA)
dEvaki nandanaha - one who is the son (nandanaha) of dEvaki
SrISO - one who is the lord/husband (ISO) of lakshmi (SrI)
nandagOpa priya Atmajaha - one who is the beloved (priya) son (Atmaja) of the cowherd (gOpa), nanda
pUtana jIvita haraha - one who took/destroyed (haraha) the life (jIvita) of the demoness, pUtana
SakaTAsura bhanjanaha - the one who killed (bhanjana) the demon (asura) who took the form of the wheel of a chariot (SakaTa)
SODasha strI sahasrESa(s) tribhangI madhurAkRtihi - one who took the intoxicating (madhura) form (AkRti) in tribhangI [1] while dancing the ras with 16,000 (SODasha sahasrESa) gOpIs (strI)
SukavAkaha - one whose speech (vAkaha) is as sweet as a parrots (Suka)
amRtAbdhindur - one who is the repository of immortality
gOvindO - one who herds (vinda) cows (gO)
yOginAm patihi - one who is the leader (patihi) of yOgIs (yOginAm)
gOpa gOpISvarO - the lord (ISvarO) of the cowherds (gOpa) and cow-girls (gOpI)
yOgI - an ascetic
kOTi sUrya sama prabha - whose brilliance (prabha) is equal (sama) to the brilliance of a crore (kOTi) suns (sUrya)
uttAla tAla - strong (uttAla) palm tree (tAla)
bhEkta - ???
ca - and
tamAla SyAmala Akrtihi - one whose form (AkRti) is dark hued (tamAla SyAmala)
ilApatihi - husband (pati) of lakshmI (ilA)
paramjyOtir - the supreme (param) light (jyOti)
yAdavEndrO - the king (indrO) of the yAdava clan
yadUdvaha - the one who supports the yAdavas
vanamAlI - one who is adorned with garlands (mAlI) of wild flowers (vana)
pItavAsaha - one who wears yellow (pIta) garments (vAsaha) - pItAmbara dharam
pArijAta apahAraka - one who was the stealer (apahAraka) of the pArijAta shrub
gOvardhana ca lOdhra dharta - one who bore (dharta) the gOvandhana mountain, and wears sandal paste (lOdhra)
gOpAlaka sarvapAlakaha - one who not only herds (pAlaka) cows (gO), but is also everyones (sarva) keeper (pAlakaha)
kAlIya phaNi mANIkya ranjita SrI padAmbujaha - one whose divine (SrI) lotus-like (ambujaha) feet (pada) were lit (ranjita) by the light reflected off the gem (mANikya) in the hood (phaNi) of the snake, kALIya
pArthasArathiravyaktO gItAmRta mahOdadhihi - the primordial force (avyaktO) who became arjuna's (pArtha) charioteer (sArathI) and gave us the gIta, literally a mighty (mahA) ocean (udadhihi) of nectar (amRta).
jalakrIDA samAsaktha gOpI vastrApahArakaha - the one who stole (apahArakaha) the clothes (vastra) of the gOpIs who were submerged (samAsaktha) while playing in the water (jala krIDA).
puNySlOkO tIrthapAdO vEdavEdyO dayAnidhi - the one who is the repository (nidhihi) of compassion (daya), who is worshipped/praised by (vEdyO) by the vEdAs, who is the holy fruit of our prayers (puNya SlOkO), and from whose feet (pAdO) arise the holy waters (tIrtha) of the river gangA.
Last edited by rshankar on 06 Apr 2009, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Deepa Bhat

Post by Deepa Bhat »

thank u so much.....for ue rep. if u know any cd/ casette which has this song pls let me know as soon as possible... is the video available in youtube?

Deepa Bhat

Post by Deepa Bhat »

i need the chitte swara n charana swaras..... if possible can anyone giv me the notation for the song pls......... pls hlp me in this regard . it vl hlp me a lot....

savannahmagic

Post by savannahmagic »

this song can be found in a tape called naadanta sung by Ramprasad. I did this varnam for my arangetram. Its beautiful!

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

Smt. Vasundhara Doraiswamy (from Mysore) has also brought it out on CD. Not sure of the title, but it exists. Indeed, it is a beautiful varnam, and a joy to listen to/perform!

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Ravi,

You explanations are excellent. Here is my addition.

http://vedabase.net/u/udvaha

yadUdvaha: one who is the most prominent of the yAdavas . Supports seems very much right. But I feel uplift may also be.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

rshankar wrote: Mistakes will be fixed by Keerthi or Rajani.

SakaTAsura bhanjanaha - the one who killed (bhanjana) the demon (asura) who took the form of the wheel of a chariot (SakaTa)
S

SukavAkaha - one whose speech (vAkaha) is as sweet as a parrots (Suka)
amRtAbdhindur - one who is the repository of immortality
gOvindO - one who herds (vinda) cows (gO)

uttAla tAla - strong (uttAla) palm tree (tAla)
bhEkta - ???
ca - and
tamAla SyAmala Akrtihi - one whose form (AkRti) is dark hued (tamAla SyAmala)

gOvardhana ca lOdhra dharta - one who bore (dharta) the gOvandhana mountain, and wears sandal paste (lOdhra)
This seems to be an adaptation of the KriShNa-aStottara-satanama-stotram into krti format..All the nAma-s haven't been used.. Rather novel..

1)sakaTAsura came as a demon who took the form of a chariot and tried to crush baby Krishna, but was dispensed of with a kick..(Not a wheel)

2) There seems to be a minor typo - SukavAg-amrtAbdhIndur is the phrase..
SukavAg is correctly given as 'One whose speech is sweet like parrots'' while AmrthabdhIndu: means one who is like the moon to the ocean of amrta/immortality [i.e, one who causes the tide of nectar/ salvation to rise, like the moon does to the sea]

3) Uttala-tAla-bhEttA is one who destroyed the tall tAla trees. I suppose this must be a refedrence to the killing of pralambha or dhEnukAsura where they uprooted palm trees to use as weapons.. It could also refer to killing KapitthAsura who appeared as a wood-apple tree.. (see commentary on kanru kuNila erindAy kazhal potri in tiruppAvai)

4)gOvardhana ca lOdhra dharta is again a typo for 'gOvardhanAcalOddhartA' meaning (up)holder [uddhartA] of the govardhana hill ..

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

SukavAg-amrtAbdhIndur
this could also mean the moon which rose from the nectar ocean of Suka mahaRSI's speech.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

krishnaa wrote:SukavAg-amrtAbdhIndur
this could also mean the moon which rose from the nectar ocean of Suka mahaRSI's speech.
That is a very good and poetic interpretation.. as Krishna is known through the bhagavata mahapurANa narrated by Suka..
Jai ho krishnaa..! It had to be someone with your name to give the best translation..

However it may be necessary to check if this will affect the number of names in the aSTottara-satanAmAvali..

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thank you Keerthi!
but please do check if it has any effect on the number of names.
acually, these namavalis are very difficult to interpret because words in sanskrit can be broken in many diffrent ways and fragments (hat is commonly known as sandhi viccheda) so please do check it.
thanks!

mohan

Re: need lyrics n meanings shri krishna kamalanato

Post by mohan »

I am looking for the audio of this varnam.

Visveshwar

Re: need lyrics n meanings shri krishna kamalanato

Post by Visveshwar »

Does anyone have the notation for this varnam (Shri Krishna Kamalanato - Ritigowla)? Kind request to send it to vn92@cornell.edu if you have it