TK Murthy

Carnatic Musicians
advaitam

Re: TK Murthy

Post by advaitam »

MKR sir, such a wonderful write-up as always....you're recounting of old-time greats is such a treat to read! You're very right in that Murthy sir is one soul who has no ill-feelings towards anyone.
Last edited by advaitam on 19 Oct 2011, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

anonymityatlast

Post by anonymityatlast »

advaitam wrote:his only drawback (if one could call that) is his frank speech. But then that is such a vanishing trait, especially in today's context when so many musicians (young and old) are ready to twist and turn any way, feigning, with their words of milk-&-honey, all the while scheming and thinking quite the opposite in their hearts......
What are you talking about?

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Doesn't matter. I withdraw my statement and apologise incase feelings were hurt.

GNB_LGJ_PR

Re:

Post by GNB_LGJ_PR »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote: And it was TKM who played for the first concert of GNB!
This seems to be slightly incorrect to me. GNB's first concert was in 1928 at the Kapaleeshwarar temple in Mylapore.
Considering that TKM was 86, two years ago(so born in 1923) he must have been a boy of 5 years at the time
of GNB's first concert. As per GNB's biography, it was GNB's friend Rajamani from Pudukkottai who accompanied him
on the mridangam in his first concert.

advaitam

Re: Re:

Post by advaitam »

GNB_LGJ_PR wrote:This seems to be slightly incorrect to me. GNB's first concert was in 1928 at the Kapaleeshwarar temple in Mylapore.
Considering that TKM was 86, two years ago(so born in 1923) he must have been a boy of 5 years at the time
of GNB's first concert. As per GNB's biography, it was GNB's friend Rajamani from Pudukkottai who accompanied him
on the mridangam in his first concert.
There is some confusion on Murthy sir's year of birth. Though publicly he claims to be currently 88 years (1923 born), there are some sources who are very close to Murthy sir who say that he is actually past 90 (c. 1920 born)....but whatever be the case, his having accompanied GNB during the latter's first concert is definitely historically inaccurate. But he did accompany Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna during the latter's first concert in Chennai as also his first concert at Thiruvaiyaaru

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Advaitham--Thank you for your kind remarks. One of the principles I try to follow in my "chronicles of the past",is to do no harm to the reputation of people who cannot defend themselves--a trait I learnt from my father-in his reviews he always stressed the positives and in private he would give his suggestions to the artist as to how the concert could have been better.

My chronicling the artistes of the past may seem effusive in its praise as if they were infallible or incapable of indiscretions either in their professional or personal life. They were all human and certain circumstances may have provoked certain kinds of behaviour in speech or action--some of which I may have been privy to but chose not to dwell upon them because it will not serve any purpose except to cater to some "schaden-fraude" feeling or some voyeuristic impulses of some readers.
Admittedly when some kind of remark or action irked me,my initial reaction was one of resentment--however when you are a "fly-in-the-wall" you better stop "fluttering" lest you be swatted mercilessly!! But later when I reflect upon those moments I learnt to take those events in proper perspective and got a better understanding of the context etc.

My point is if I sound excessively defensive of the artistes that I have known and write about,I am not claiming they were infallible but only that if we used the same yardsticks to everybody--artistes or not- there would be very few individuals who would qualify as saints and last but not least considering what they have achieved and what little I have achieved I am not qualified to dwell upon the frailties of the artistes that I write about!!

later on when I resume my SSI saga which has gone into hybernation I will be alluding to some of these issues and how I viewed them when it happened and how I view them now. Hindsight is always 20/20!!!!

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

MKR sir, that is such an admirable trait that has been professed by our elders since time immemorial. It's very heartening to see you follow your late-lamented father's principles in this regard. I think there is absolutely no need for you to defend the tone of your chronicles - as you have rightly said, we are here to celebrate the music and lives of these titans, not unnecessarily harp on bygones and what-if's.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

MKR
That is a beautiful philosophy in line with
satyam brUyAt priyam brUyAt na brUyAt satyam apriyam
priyam ca nAn^Rtam brUyAt ESha dharma sanAtanaH ||

(speak the truth; speak the pleasant (truth); don't speak the unpleasant truth;
though pleasant don't speak the untruth; and that is the essence of sanAtana dharma)
But that is in conflict with being a true historian!
But in your case you speak even the unpleasant truth in such an elegant language that does not hurt!
I would modify the adage as
satyam brUyAt priyam brUyAt, brUyAt apriyam satyamavyatham
priyam ca nAn^Rtam brUyAt ESha dharma nUtanaH ||

(avyatham = unhurting; nUtanaH = modern (appropriate to present times))

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

well said cmlover!! couldn't agree more!

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

My anna 's son Sri Krishna Prakash is an excellent mridangist. When Anna wanted to teach his son the art for which he is famous , who did he chose to be his son's guru?...none other than Murthy Sir. Krishna is a brilliant chartered accountant now, working for one of the big four. Because of his profession and the demands of international travel, he is unable to be in the kutcheri circuit, much to the chagrin of his father. But when I asked Anna for sending his son to Murthi Sir rather than teaching himself, he said that at the time when Krishna started learning there was no mridangam player who had the kind of dexterity and skills to match Murthi Sir. According to him Murthi Sir was not only a brilliant mridangist, but also a very good teacher. More than that, Anna was particular that Krishna learnt the "fingering" style of thanjavur. Don't forget, Anna's teacher Sri Kuniseri Krishnamani Iyer himself learnt from Thanjavur Vaidyanatha Iyer.

Ramasubramanian M.K

CMLover/Advaitham: Thanks for the remarks.The problem with being a historian is that one cannot withhold facts that one is privy to especially if the narration is to enhance the readers' understanding of the times and the people who lived in those times--the trick is to do it as tastefully and as respectfully as possible--I do realise the "blandness" the narratives would show if they contain hackneyed phrases of "They-all-lived-happily-thereafter"!!. Afterall we live in an age of instant communication,instant gratification of our impulses ---- twin traits--that would make any casual slip of reporting get totally out of hand. I suspect this may be the reason WHY the current crop of CM musicians are very reticent and reserved when it comes to getting intimate with their sycophants,sharing reminiscences etc.
I must confess the people whom I write about would have put a kabosh on my narratves however benign they might me,if they had had an inkling that I would write about them!!!
Sadasiva Mama always used to play down the idea of an authorised Bio of MS Amma:
Did the "Greats" ever think of writing about themselves for posterity? Why should we ordinary mortals feel that we should"(My comment: This was no false modesty on Mama's part I can assure you).

Re Sam Swaminathan's post,YES it is true that TKM's teaching methodology is excellent- while not shying away from teaching some intricacies that he may have been taught or learned, he would assess the capacity of the student and progressively "step-up" the rigors-- very much like his Guru Vaithanna --I have heard a story from my uncle who was a great admirer of Vaithanna as a person(my uncle hosted Vaithanna in the Mid Thirties in Benares when my uncle was in the Engineering College,when Vaithanna visited along with Musiri for a concert arranged by the Late Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya);

It seems when Vaithanna was teaching PMI who used to travel to Tanjore from Palakkad just to learn from him in the late thrities and early forties, the previous night before PMI was due to arrive Vaithanna could not go to sleep and would be pacing back and forth and when asked why this restlessness, Vaithanna would say,"PMI is coming tomorrow--I do not know WHAT to teach him,he is so quick and sharp capable of absorbing anything that is thrown at him and I worry about being able to do justice to his taking a long trip to learn from me"!!

Vaithanna had the same regard for TKM's capacity(camphor-like) and that was the reason WHY PMI always used to say about TKM that the latter knows everything that he (PMI) knows!!

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Among the top mridangists of that generation, TKM was probably the only one, who systematically accompanied some female artists.
Not sure, if TKM has played for DKP or MLV. I think TKM has also played for KB Sundararambal (who acted as Auvayaar in movies and SG Kittappa's wife - Kodaiyile Ilaipari, ...)

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

annamalai wrote:Among the top mridangists of that generation, TKM was probably the only one, who systematically accompanied some female artists.
Not sure, if TKM has played for DKP or MLV. I think TKM has also played for KB Sundararambal (who acted as Auvayaar in movies and SG Kittappa's wife - Kodaiyile Ilaipari, ...)
Yes you're very right, he had accompanied KB Sundarambal as also DKP and MLV (a fact that he personally shared with me on one of the many long chats I have had the good fortune to have with him). I remember MKR sir telling somewhere that he used to have people listening to his raconteurs in splits due to his razor-sharp wit. That continues to this day!! His is a mind that has not faded one bit, despite the rigours of age, time and health (remember he continues to remain this active after a couple of major heart attacks and a major stroke resulting in life-threatening brain surgery!). Coming back to the women he accompanied, I remember listening to a couple of recordings of his accompanying DKP (one at KGS and the other at the Academy, if memory serves right). He has also accompanied the next generation of women vocalists after MSS-DKP-MLV (Mani Krishnaswami and some others). But without a doubt, of all the lady musicians he has accompanied, he continues to have the most dearest place in his heart for MS. Even recently when I went to meet him, he was lamenting on how some women vocalists today do not allow mridangists freedom while accompanying, curtailing them to play insipidly, so that their music may shine through atleast then. It was then that he said how MSS had never once asked him to curtail his playing style, having complete faith in his judicious method of accompaniment. He said that she often encouraged him to play misram & khandam and used to greatly admire and relish his "podi kanakkus". I still clearly remember what he said - "Andha Ammaavodu taalam mani maadhiri nikkum" (Her tala was as firm as the tolling of the bell). It was then that he said, "Andha Amma irukkara verkkum naan avaa mahimaiya purinjikkala....inekki avaa ponappuram enakku puriyardhu!" - "When that Amma was alive (meaning I guess, when he used to accompany her) I didn't understand her value, today after she's gone I have understood" - thus saying he began to weep like a child! Such is his child-like nature!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Yes Advaitham!! His association with MS Amma over 5 decades had its ups and downs--at times TKM sir was impetuous--especially when TS Mama for some justifiable reason would cancel a concert and the accompaniments like TKM who were in great demand for the major Male vocalists,would have had to forego the opportunity--the economic hardship he would express within earshot of mama and this had led to some minor misunderstandings--Subsequently Mama (TS) in his infinite generosity(of his own volition not based on demands) would compensate the accompanying artistes for the lost opportunity incurring an out-of-pocket loss for himself.

Now TKM was right--concerts opportuniites were not plenty in those days especailly concerts in Delhi or Bombay or Kolkata--TS was also right in those instances where the organisers were intransigent on some minimum conditions that Mama may have made(perfectly capable of accommodation by the organisers if there was a will--their egos came in the way) and if these were not met he would cancel it--now one might argue the merits and demerits of such a stance--in terms of audience inconvenience etc That is the Way TS saw it and that is the way he did it!! The accompaniments had a valid case and TS understood it and compensated them.

TKM is known to take such stances no matter how high the auhtorities may be--but it was always on principle--even the playing style curbs that he talks about he was piqued because every vocalist knows that TKM is a good singer and knows the nuances of each krithi and the nadai that he plays will never be inappropriate. Not to digress, this sensitivity can be missed by even veteran mridangists. Once I listened in person a vocal concert of Neyveli Santhana gopalan and UVS Sir accompanied him--UVS was superb tremendously supporting NSG right from the start(it was in MFA during the December season). But when NSG sang Ennerumamum(Devagandhari_ somehow something got into UVSir and throughout or for the most part played in mel Kalam which was totally inappropriate for the languorous style of that kriti,apparently being carried away by NSG's devotional rendering==so unlike UVS.

TKM also once in a while will let his imagination run wild and if he senses an opportunity to do a tricky korvai within the ambit of the pause he would attempt--something which people like SSI would gently chide him for and he would chafe under the same. This explains his petulance at some of the male vocalists trying to restrain his imagination.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

TKM is a free spirit incarcerated in the confines of a 'pakka vAdhyam' prison!
He was strong enough to break the prison bars but would not out of regard for normal decorum!
We should prostrate to such veterans who kept our sampradaya alive suffering humiliations at times
but keeping their free spirits in check and maintaining the 'Rtm' in our world of CM!
Thanks TKM Sir!

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:
TKM is known to take such stances no matter how high the auhtorities may be--but it was always on principle--even the playing style curbs that he talks about he was piqued because every vocalist knows that TKM is a good singer and knows the nuances of each krithi and the nadai that he plays will never be inappropriate. Not to digress, this sensitivity can be missed by even veteran mridangists.

TKM also once in a while will let his imagination run wild and if he senses an opportunity to do a tricky korvai within the ambit of the pause he would attempt--something which people like SSI would gently chide him for and he would chafe under the same. This explains his petulance at some of the male vocalists trying to restrain his imagination.
Well said MKR sir! The "nyaayam" and "nirnayam" in Murthy sir's accompanying style is a rare treat indeed! He often used to tell his students, "Listen to the vocalist when he/she sings the raga alapana. Observe how they introduce the lower and upper speed neraval....notice how they weave swara patterns based on the mood and movement of the kriti and raga....(from here I have to switch back to the vernacular perforce to capture the flavour) chumma ravaiya chorandeendrikkaadhe!" (Don't keep fidgeting with the rava) :grin:

Regarding his relations with SSI, there were plenty of ups and downs. Often SSI would feel uncomfortable with some of the "podi chollus" of Murthy sir and the latter would, as rightly pointed out, chafe. But despite all this he had (and continues to have) utmost regard for SSI's music. Once, sometime in the early '90s SSI had a radio concert for which Murthy sir was the slated mridangist. When SSI arrived he told Murthy sir, "Chittu, rombha praandaadhe da, enakku ippo elaam mudiyallai. Konjam adakki vaashiyen!" (Don't play too vigorously, I'm too old for that now. Do play in a mellow manner). Murthy sir immediately submitted to the elder soul's wish. During the thani, he played tisram mel kaalam, as he often does (a unique stamp of the Thanjavur bani), which fell effortlessly into the talam. After the recording got over, he asked SSI, "Mama, eppidi irundhudhu tisram?" (How was the tisram?) to which SSI retorted in amazement that he never realised that it was tisram. He said, "Ippidi oshetthiya nee vaashikkara kaaranam onn gurunaathar dhaan. Naan avarukku shaashtaanga namaskaram panren!" (The reason you played in such a stellar manner is because of your guru's training. I prostrate before that great soul!) So saying he did a shaashtaanga namaskaram in the eastern direction!

Another lighter instance with TS Mama narrated by Murthy sir himself - When MSS, TS, TKM and others had gone to Delhi for a performance, they were invited to stay at Teen Murti Bhavan with Jawaharlal Nehru. One day after lunch TS mama stepped out into the sprawling gardens for a stroll. Nehru came up to Murthy sir and asked him in Hindi, "Sadasivam kidhar hain?" (Where is Sadasivam?) Not knowing how to tell him in Hindi that TS mama had stepped out, Murthy sir quickly replied, "Sadasivam mar gaya!" (Sadasivam is dead!) After some furour and fretting, the truth of the matter was communicated in the end. But this quick retort was an endless source of amusement at the dinner table throughout the rest of the trip! :lol:

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

:D

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

I have heard that when SSI got the Kalidas Samman, TKM was the accompanist for the concert in Bhopal. Whe they were returning to Chennai by train, SSI gave TKM Rs.200/. TKM was flabbergasted that having received Rs. One lakh SSI was giving him only a pittance. 'Enna mAmA idu' he asked, " eNDA mUrthy, nI vAshicha vAshippukku idu pOrAdA" (Is this not enough for your kind of playing). Is it true?

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

kittappa wrote:I have heard that when SSI got the Kalidas Samman, TKM was the accompanist for the concert in Bhopal. Whe they were returning to Chennai by train, SSI gave TKM Rs.200/. TKM was flabbergasted that having received Rs. One lakh SSI was giving him only a pittance. 'Enna mAmA idu' he asked, " eNDA mUrthy, nI vAshicha vAshippukku idu pOrAdA" (Is this not enough for your kind of playing). Is it true?
I'm not aware of this occurrence. Probably SSI meant it only in jest. Not having been privy to this incident, I don't see prudence in unnecessary conjecture.

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

Here is a very effervescent and exuberant thani played by Murthy sir for Dr. S. Ramanathan in 1984. He has covered all the 5 nadais brilliantly, with no unnecessary round-about movement! His speed and clarity are mesmerising! He has played the tisram mel kaalam that I mentioned in a previous post here also. In the beginning, he starts with a particular "aasu" (rhythmic pattern) and weaves varieties around the same! Genius! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvrIJ_ovMIM

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Of course SSI was not known for his munificence :D
My sample is based on his remunerations to the Priests who have rendered services to him at Trivandrum!
I have heard them use the expression 'kanjan'; of course Kanjan means 'Brahma' - the pitamaha, which is most appropriate in this case :D
MKR can however expand from his vast experience :D
By the by thanks advaitham for that Gem!

Ramasubramanian M.K

CMLover: On SSi's munificence(!!)-- Disclosure when the time and place are right!!!

Re the story on the Kalidas award I do not think it could be true not because of SSI's largesse but unlikely because TKM has a reputation of getting what is his due and fair-- one instance narrated by himself:

When he was playing for ARI in one of the concerts in Devakottai, the patron had agreed to a total remuneration with ARI including accompaniments leaving it to ARI to compensate the accompaniments. As ARI was very senior to TKM he did not talk remuneration in advance. Instead he decided to snoop around when the sanmanam was being given to ARI by the patron and somehow managed to find out what was the total amount--ARI in typical scrooge-like fashion tried to "shortcharge" TKM by saying that he got only X amount(much less than what he got) and TKM's share out of it was fair--TKM without necessarily telling ARI that he had overseen what the Patron paid ARI, 'jocularly threatened ARI that he(TKM) would tell Dhanam(kanjanur) who was ARI's wife ( of whom ARI was literally and mortally afraid!!) that the remuneration the patron gave was twice the amount he had received--a "bluff" no doubt but ARI could not afford to take chances and wanted to avoid a bruising battle with Dhanam(who was literally salting away money for her son by a previous marriage that she was monitoring ARI's concerts/remuneration etc--she accompanied him all the time- a literal shadow) ARI relented and gave what TKM demanded(which was a remuneration consistent with what ARI truly got and what would have been TKM's normal share ).

ARI knew that TKM was perfectly capable of mischief and he was liked by Dhanam as well and rather than fight TKM and having to surrender the whole amount and having to explain to her the the "fictitious" other half of the remuneration or deny the amount of compensation(Dhanam was not above "collaring" the patron directly ARI knew!!). From that point TKM claimed that ARI would never try to "stiff" him but many an accompanying violinist would get short shrift from ARI not knowing TKM's trump card!!

Point: There is no way TKM would have let SSi get away!!
Now a true story about the Kalidas Award as told to my father:

When the award of Rs. one lakh was announced, calls came streaming in--my father went personally to congratulate him when he received those congratulatory calls. In between calls SSI turns around and asks my father, "Enda idukkum tax kattanumo(Does this have to be declared). My father said YES-- SSI said it is not something that I earned by performing or doing anything specific(for which I would have been compensated) and this was an unsolicited award--How can Govt tax me on this? My father ended the discussion saying even after paying the tax he would have enough(by that time SSI had discharged all his family obligations and was not in any kind of financial distress!! leave it to your accountant and make sure the ITO assigned to the case is music lover and an SSI sycophant!!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Super MKR
I just wanted to prod you about SSI whenever you are ready :D
Let us stick to TKM here!

I don't know about IT rules in India but windfalls are not taxable in many countries!

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

There was a post on another thread challenging if Murthy sir has played for any lady vocalists of yore apart from MSS. I post here a concert of his with Smt DKP at KGS in 1975. The manner in which he accompanies the Thiruppugazh-s in the end is vintage Murthy sir! What spontaneity! http://www.mediafire.com/?n54mkzwavb8u9

cienu

Post by cienu »

An article on the legend in today's "The Hindu"
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 835931.ece

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

advaitam wrote:There was a post on another thread challenging if Murthy sir has played for any lady vocalists of yore apart from MSS
Three years later, here is the answer, from TKM himself, and it doesn't mince words :)...
One morning MS had come to his Guru’s house. “Do you know who this is?” my guru asked MS. “My son. He is excellent on the mridangam. This evening let’s have a kutcheri at home and he will play for you.” That evening a lasting bond between him and MS was established – for the next 55 years, TKM was her accompanist on the mridangam. “I am perhaps the only mridangam player who played for all the female musicians of that time. Pattamal, Vasanta Kumari, Sundarambal, Brinda and Mukta, everyone of them. They were remarkable. They had given so much thought to their music and achieved such complicated things in laya that it was challenging for the mridangam vidwan. In fact, I often feel that if mridangam vidwans refused to play for women it was because they were scared that they wouldn’t be able to measure up. It’s too much for their ego to have a woman as superior musician.”
See the whole article in the link in cienu's previous post.

cienu

Post by cienu »

This is the second and concluding part of the interview.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... rge&test=1

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Nonagenarian still as young in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHlJEXRE6sI

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

In his case Sruti is held by the vadyam and his laya remains even if virtuosity is reduced by the age.

I am reminded of SSI's vervy swaram in rAma kathA sudhA ( nanganallUr AnjnEya temple) to which MSS nods ( as the camera turns to her timely) even after all the virtuosity had left him by then.

What remains even at that time is indeed music!

His disciple Sri V Subramaniam writes in the Hindu about how SSI did not lay emphasis on laya. That is a fallacy. SSI built his music on the towers of earlier giants having heard them ( periyavA sangItattai kETTavar). He will stand on that tower. nammiDatilE onRu solluviTTu avar ninRu viDuvAr! He may say something in context , but if we take it verbatim (appaTTamAka purindu konDOm enRAl) ! - we are the losers ( nammatAn EmALi! :idea: ).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of veteran post his padmashri award on May 2017 in The Hindu
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 162728.ece

varsha

Post by varsha »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice writeup in The Hindu in Aug 2019. But The Hindu policy needs subscription nowadays. Dr TKM is touching 95 years of age.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 896273.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Opening The Hindu newspaper on Dec 01st,2022 for the special supplement on margazhi music is a most cherished day for me and many. Incidentally Sangeetha kalasarathy award which is awarded by the 120 year old Parthasarathy swami sabha is awarded by two senior most intense mruduangam artists

1. TK Murthy who will turn 100 years next year in 2024.
And
2. Trichy Sankaran who will also receive the award along with TKM

i saw in some flyer the awardees will be given by another doyen UKS mama

I applaud PSS Sabha for awarding , as they say Delayed but not Denied - Congratulations to TKM and Trichy Sankaran- one for PMI school and other for PSP school. Incidentally we also have superb talented mrudangam youngsters in last 24 months , many are playing very well so they also will work hard to achieve TKM and TS statures along with UKS stature.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Here is a SHORTS interview : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TmXzGzsDDrE

His disciples have done an excellent job of recording their memoirs of finding, joining, learning with Sri TKM - all on youtube.