Vijay Siva

Carnatic Musicians
cienu

Post by cienu »

I have started a new topic on Vijay Siva in the "Vidwans and Vidushis" section. He is a wonderful representative of the DKP/DKJ style. This link below , I found it extremely interesting :)

http://carnaticmusicians.wordpress.com/
Last edited by cienu on 18 Jul 2009, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.

asrini

Post by asrini »

Whole heartedly welcome this addition to this section. A fine artiste, with a great and sincere love for Carnatic Music, and a subservience to the larger purpose that it fulfills for all of us. I am a big, big fan.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cienu,
Thank you for the link. I did not know so many things about Vijay Siva! All I know is that his music is of such high quality and that listening to him is a fulfilling experience for me. While DKP and DKJ are so much in our thoughts now, we can find solace in knowing that there is Vijay Siva who bears their banner and walks their path proudly.
The pictures are a delight--to see young VS grow in front of our own eyes as we see them! I guessed he was sharp, but did not know he was a child prodigy. And the lovely family and guru family (his sister marrying J.Vadyanathan and their coming together as one family).
His humor is something which I relished too (in the interview)! The few times I have met him briefly, I found him to be a no-nonsense, straight-forward person who is helpful too. He has no airs, attends concerts of others when he is free and is very simple in his ways...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Vijay Siva a child prodigy - an ordinary person with extraordinary capability in music. Cienu, thank you for sharing Vijay Siva blog with the rasikAs.
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 19 Jul 2009, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Nice pictures..

-hari

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu,

Thanks for the lovely link! Awesome pictures and details.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

arasi wrote: I found him to be a no-nonsense, straight-forward person
That is how I find his music :)

prashant

Post by prashant »

My favorite musician after my Guru. A fine person, straight-forward, honest and PRINCIPLED in his approach to life and music.

raga82

Post by raga82 »

avar paattu paLichunu irukkum....

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Vijay Siva is my very good friend for a very long time since my college and YACM Days. Actually four of us Started YACM - myself, vijay, karthikeyan (flute vidwan and disciple of Dr.Ramani) and RK Sriramkumar. All of us were co-students in Vivekananda at that time. I know vijay since 1983 and i have observed him to be very hard working, sincere and honest. whatever he does he does it with lots and lots of homework coupled with diligent thinking. Even a smallest portion of a briga is well practised and executed to perfection. I fondly even remember those days when he used to go by cycle to the sponsor's location for getting sponsorship for YACM which was a dedication in itself. another striking feature of Vijay's personality is that he used to send post card to the accompanying artistes about the songlist that he is going to render for a particular concert at least 15 days in advance so that any clarifications can be sought from him and even if you need any special recordings from him he used to provide. I have never seen this type of personality with any other musician and it is very unique to Vijay Siva. He is always pleasantly dressed for concerts maintains his voice very well with lots of care and he is highly disciplined musician. No wonder his concerts never have been a failure for several years now and it has been steadily on the raise. He was also very young when he was awarded 'A' grade by the AIR (i think he was 23 or 24). He was also a drama artiste having acted in a few dramas. I still remember his "Vinatha Suthavahana" in Jayanthasena his swara passages for "Mathabhedamane".

It is a pleasure to play for him in stages as he is a perfectionist his sruthi shuddha is excellent and his kalapramana is tight packed which provides a very nice platform for accompanying artistes to play with ease and comfort.

Mannarkoil J.Balaji

sbala

Post by sbala »

Nice pictures. Good job, Carnatica! Vijay Siva's approach to music is so pure. His lecdems are also very precise, just like his concerts.

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

I like his rendition of 'Nadha Vindhu kaladhi namo nama' , From MMU 2007 .

Note, this is a deviation of the topic, but can someone please list the ragas of MSS'S Nadhavindhukaladhi and Vijaysiva's (It says Chenjutitti and Nadanamakriya??? )
Last edited by vallaki on 20 Jul 2009, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

cmrasika

Post by cmrasika »

mridhangam wrote:another striking feature of Vijay's personality is that he used to send post card to the accompanying artistes about the songlist that he is going to render for a particular concert at least 15 days in advance so that any clarifications can be sought from him and even if you need any special recordings from him he used to provide.
that's so generous of him!! :)
mridhangam sir, nice anecdotes!!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

That is nice. At least accompanying artists know what to expect. How does one prepare for Audience requested song?

gnaanam

Post by gnaanam »

VijaySiva is known for his dicipline and orderliness,clarity of ,akarams, and the diction,. One can write the lirics when he is singing ,it used to be very clear. The ,layam, in him is amazing,being a mrudangist also he enjoys his music like a water stream.His concert will be always outstanding.

prashant

Post by prashant »

VK RAMAN wrote:That is nice. At least accompanying artists know what to expect. How does one prepare for Audience requested song?
One doesn't - one sings it if one knows it :-)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

K.Sathyasai

Post by K.Sathyasai »

The greatest quality in an individual is his humility, this is an attribute I found in Vijay anna in abundance. As one of the students of Manoj anna I've had the privilege of having had few words with him. The discussions will always be laced with his trademark humour and point blank answers which is another praise worthy trait we have to emulate. I remember Vijay anna asking me to go for the concerts of Sanjay and Krishna as he felt they were doing really well as vocalists. He had no inhibitions whatsoever in doing so. In this world of all lobbying and advertisements he is a crest jewel who had stood his ground with his conviction and integrity intact. As for his music I'm too ignorant to comment, I'll stick to what Mridhangam sir told.

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

The entire class of '91 (the year when Shri DKJ passed away) is superb. Many excellent artists from his school - Shriramkumar, Vijay Siva, Balaji Shankar(sadly decided to give up music), J. Vaidyanathan (Shri DKJ's son). They are keeping the "Damal" tradition alive and bright. That speaks volumes about what great teachers DKJ mama & Pattammal were.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I can quote SSI on DKJ;s Demise: "We did not lose merely an artiste--WE LOST AN UNIVERSITY OF MUSIC".

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

The very first Carnatic vocal concert I attended was by Sri Vijay Siva in 1990 at PSBB school (of which he too is an alumnus).

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

In my earlier post I had misquoted SSI about DKJ's death. The actual quote from SSI on the day of DKJ's death was ' I FEEL A GREAT LIBRARY HAS BEEN BURNT DOWN TODAY"

SORRY FORUMITES FOR THE MISQUOTE!!!( I can hear an asareeri from heaven by SSI chiding me on my misinterpretation of a pithy comment from him!!!!

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

He is a great Speaker On the demise of his guru a condolence meet was arranged at Narada Gana Sabha and on that occasion he spoke about his guru with a lot of feeling and his language was Shakespearean.A programme in honor of his Guru was conducted at 50 50 club and all his disciples (those mentioned above included) gave a concert lead by Vijay Siva It was an amazing concert a fitting tribute to a musical giant. A copy of the recording of that concert is available ,but thanks to the rules of the forum and issues of copy right and objections raised by Vijay Siva this gem even audio clips cannot be shared.and it cannot be uploaded in sangeethamshare site.Bye Ragjay
Last edited by Ragjay on 12 Nov 2009, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

carnaticdasan

Post by carnaticdasan »

Ragjay

I was trying u ask u for the recording but felt dissapointed after reading ur last line.Cant do much in this situation.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Nice review about Vijay Siva. He is one of my all time favouries. I remember his Devamanohari RTP in MA last year. Though, short it has got all the ingredients. His MA concert, this year, with Dr.Trichy Sanakran conveys the quality of this musician. TS plays only for him in the MA is another highlight.

rajeshnat

Re: Vijay Siva

Post by rajeshnat »

The hindu q&a is very nice - well thought out answers by Vijay. I always enjoy his music. Hindu is doing a great job for Vijay.
1st series http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 548141.ece

2nd series that came today
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 571263.ece

I hope speech is not really sandwiched between music ;)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

His third series- can ever ego vanish that too for a performing musician - may be with age it can come down. Nice write up.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 618081.ece

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

rajeshnat wrote:The hindu q&a is very nice - well thought out answers by Vijay. I always enjoy his music. Hindu is doing a great job for Vijay.
1st series http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 548141.ece

The first question went straight to the heart of it. Vijay Siva says "One needs to train under a voice guru for deeper understanding. But some basics can always be followed like singing with the spine erect and the entire body relaxed; using a well-tuned tambura; and open throated singing."

Are "voice gurus" available/identified as such? I am intrigued -- I had never heard this term used before in the context of Carnatic Music. Furthermore, even though it makes obvious sense, I find that, in practice, it is not as easy as it sounds to keep the entire body relaxed while singing. Or, for that matter, to do open throat singing and at the same time "flush the nasal tone" (as he says in response to later question about high register singing). But I am no expert.

Do other practitioners on this forum have experience with these questions?

-Thenpaanan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Congratulations for vijay on receiving the prestigious ‘Sangeetha Kalasarathy' from PSS
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 651663.ece

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Congratulations to the vidvAn!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice writeup of a great vidwan Vijay Siva that was published in The Hindu dated Dec 13,2018

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 733568.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of a recent video outdoor shoot of Vijay Siva . This should be a great writeup (dated Apr 23,2021 from The Hindu)to have more of them to go to youtube
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 387407.ece