A.Kanyakumari

Carnatic Musicians
ramarama

Vidushi A Kanyakumari

Post by ramarama »

Recently, I heard a four hour concert by the Vidushi organized by the Kannada Sangha, Singapore, accompanied by three of her students and five percussionists (and no ghatam among those 5! mridangam, kanjira, tabla, rhythm pad (who also played morsing), konnakkol). I had last heard a solo (again, 4 hours - but that time just a violin/mridangam concert I think) by her many years ago during my grad studies days in the US in the early nineties. Listening to her mind-blowing solo again after all these years led me to wonder - is she not a superstar among violinists, in the league of legends like TNK, MSG and LGJ? Has she got her due from all of us rasikas and sabhas across the world? If she were a male with the same performance vidwat and teaching productivity, would it have been a lot easier to have been universally acknowledged as a superstar of Carnatic music? Or is it a matter not of gender but of not good enough self-promotion abilities?

It could also just be my ignorance, that most rasikas/sabhas do consider her in the highest grade of Carnatic musicians and she does get as many solo concerts as have the masters of the past. She doesn't seem to be accompanying vocalists much - perhaps that is of her own choosing. Would be grateful if knowledgeable rasikas would share if she has indeed been a regular accompanist for vocal concerts.

During the concert, she made a plea for more support for instrumental music (which we all know is sort of a dying field today in terms of solos, relative to the heyday of the last century) and for Telugu people to be more supportive of Carnatic music (note that this was in a Kannada Sangha concert - and I think she herself is from Andhra).

I brought up gender, because of what a senior female violin teacher once griped to me about - she said many male singers do not want a female accompanist (and nor do female vocalists for different reasons). And of course, some mridangists do not want to accompany female soloists in general. Is this one of the reasons why Ranjani Gayathri moved to becoming singers? And why Akkarai sisters have also ventured out as singers?

Sachi_R

Re: Vidushi A Kanyakumari

Post by Sachi_R »

Ramarma,
After I watched the following video, I was full of reverence for this grand lady Sangita Kalanidhi Kanyakumari.

https://youtu.be/mRS0vKFF1Cs

If your question is why she has not promoted herself or has not been celebrated as much as the Trinity of the violin etc., my own answer would be
1. Apart from the Trinity in fact there are other really great violinists among men too, unsung.
2. After T. Rukmini she came on the scene but stayed with MLV, Shrinivas/Ravikiran, Kadari etc. Maybe if she had accompanied big name men vocalists, it would have helped her.
2. By nature she seems a shrinking violet.
3. Her "instrumental ensembles" have come a little late to move the needle, given the total dominance by vocalists.

She would perhaps now be quite content being accorded the SK and other honours and then producing time and again great men violinists who carry her stamp.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

This could go under vidwans / vidushis section.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

RasikasModerator2

Re: A.Kanyakumari

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

Now merged. Unfortunately when we merge, unlike moving, we can't retain a shadow link to the original post.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Write up of vidushi A kanyakumar creation of 7 new ragas ,named after 7 hills of tirumala.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 148895.ece

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Here is the MA Sangita Kalanidhi concert , recorded with a hand held.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_9hMRuIAiA

Still getting through the concert.

Sri DSR Murthy on Mridangam seems to be a delectable accompanist ( somebody who jet sets with LS etc going by facebook page). His nAdam is like Sri Kamalakar Rao , VVS Ramanamurthy etc. I gather from the his facebook that he is from Yella school.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

US Congress is recognized this extraordinary teacher and performer. Dated Aug 21,2021
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 119631.ece

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

Hi Rajesh, thanks for posting that link. Congressman Raja Krishnamurthy of Illinois who sponsored this recognition has a Rasikas connection. His father Dr (phD) KS Krishnamurthy (professor at Bradley University in Illinois) was a classmate and friend of my father (MKR) from over 6 decades dating back to their Karaikudi Engg days. He is an ardent CM follower and fan from what I know.

Raja is a rising star in the U.S. Democratic ranks. He actually won former pres. Barack Obama's seat in Congress! I hope he runs for US Senate in the future.

I also was heartened to see Vidushi AK thank and remember Dr. P. Rajagopalan (founding President of CMANA) in her remarks. Remarkably, Rajagopal Mama is still active and healthy (touch wood) in Chennai and if anyone would ever want to learn about the 'early days' of CM in the U.S. he would be a great interview (maybe I should do it!). And as you know, Rajagopal Mama's late elder brother was Sri P. Ramabhadran the founder of the SAFE Sabha that did so much great work over the decades.

Congrats to her for this lifetime accomplishment and recognition. Hope she is able to travel to the U.S. sometime soon to receive the award in person!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

maheshram wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 23:43 Congressman Raja Krishnamurthy of Illinois who sponsored this recognition has a Rasikas connection. His father Dr (phD) KS Krishnamurthy (professor at Bradley University in Illinois) was a classmate and friend of my father (MKR) from over 6 decades dating back to their Karaikudi Engg days. He is an ardent CM follower and fan from what I know.
Does Raja Krishnamurthy also hear CM deply or is he just touch and go rasika. Tx for your insight.

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

[/quote]
Does Raja Krishnamurthy also hear CM deply or is he just touch and go rasika. Tx for your insight.
[/quote]

Not sure. My guess would he has been very exposed to it growing up but may not be an 'active aficianado'...but could be wrong!