Mani Krishnaswamy

Carnatic Musicians
jayaram

Post by jayaram »

A great vidushi, belongs to the Musiri school.

Can anyone here share recordings of her singing please.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Jayaram
sangeethapriya website has a concert. Here is the link
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/mk/index.html

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Thank you, Kiran.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

I am an ardent fan of this great past legend. Please upload some concerts/songs sung by her. The content found on the internet is very less. So, if any of you have recordings, please upload. This is my humble request.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Srinivasa Raghavan,

Try the sangeethapriya site - there are a couple of concerts of Smt. Mani Krishnaswami - If I am not wrong, she is probably the only 'student' of kalAkshEtra who has been awarded the sangIta kalAnidhi title.

ambika.sundaram

Post by ambika.sundaram »

I am a die-hard fan of Smt. Mani Krishnaswamy ....... such a beautiful voice ....... a great legend .....

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum

Dear Ambika,

Please E mail me at rajanpad@nedbank.co.za
i was very very close to Mani Ma , my guru Sri M N Kandaswami was her full time mridangam player,
I have over 20 concerts of her live and AIR inluding live in her house from 1981 to 1992.
I need to copy to CD and post to you , this may take long, internet costs in SA very expensive to upload.

What is your E Mail address

Aum

Rajan

ambika.sundaram

Post by ambika.sundaram »

Thanks Rajan. I will mail you.

K Nagarajan

Re: Mani Krishnaswamy

Post by K Nagarajan »

Dear All,
Sangita Kalanidhi Smt.Mani Krishnaswamy rendered 'mari mari ninne', a Thyagaraja krithi in Kambjoji
in her 1997 or 1998 MA concert with an announcement by her that she would render it in the way it was taught
to her by Sri.Tiger Varadachariyar and requested the audience to listen to her rendering.

It was aired live from 8 PM and lasted for 1 hour and the presentation was unhurried and majestic like an ocean
and explorative.

I hope some one will have the recording of this and through this forum I would request for uploading it.

Regards.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

thanks for remembering great vidushi in margazhi... i remember attending her concerts, two or three in the year she was awarded SK title... hardly any crowd and some great music.... unfortunately cant' recollect what she sang etc...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice writeup about students of Mani Krishnswmay in The Hindu dated 27th July,2018.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 520709.ece

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajesh: thank you for posting that article - it not only brought back memories of Smt. Mani who was a friend of my mother’s, it also took me back to my days growing up on the campus of KREC in Surathkal (my dad was on the faculty there). It’s amazing to hear that Surathkal and nearby Magalore now have a vibrant CM community!

sam

Post by sam »

Navavarana Krithis -
Mani Krishnaswami
Muthuswami Dikshitar

https://youtu.be/PfdNnuBxn0k?si=j9NvrZnETJy09-bi

sam

Post by sam »

SHRIMATI MANI KRISHNASWAMI
A PROFILE
By M.K.Sudarshan <sudarsan@batelco.com.bh>

Born on 3rd February, 1930, Mani Perundevi (maiden name) studied upto SSLC at Vellore. From her childhood, Mani had a predilection for Music, possessed a natural gift for singing and a high-pitched musical voice. Her parents decided to put her to Music though Mani wanted to study medicine. Mani gratefully acknowledges the initial personal attention given to her during elementary training by teachers like Ellayya and Murugan of Vellore.

Well known names in the Music World in 1930's and 1940's like Jalatarangam Venkataramanayya Chetti and Tirupparkadal Srinivasa Iyengar taught her at Vellore

and it was decided that she should join Kalakshetra after SSLC.

Kalakshetra of Smt.Rukmini Devi at Adyar, Madras, had no difficulty in admitting Mani for the Sangeeta Siromani Course as she had earned the appreciation even at an early age of giants like Sri Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar and Sri T Chowdiah who awarded her prizes at music competitions in Vellore.

Tiger Varadachari at Kalakshetra took a parental interest in Mani's musical education and she profited considerably under his influence. Other stalwarts at Kalakshetra included veteran Budalur Krishnamoorthi Sastrigal whose vocal prowess was no less than as a Gottuvadyam exponent and he taught her number of Kritis of the Trinity in the authentic style.
Sri.T.K.Ramaswami Iyengar was another teacher of hers at Adyar. After getting the Sangeeta Siromani, she pursued post-graduate study for Pallavi from the great Mudicondan Venkataram Iyer.

Mysore Vasudevacharyya, at Kalakshetra, also personally taught Mani a number of his compositions - a rare treasure of which Mani is legitimately proud today. Mani can also play on violin which was her secondary subject.

A scholarship from Government of India for advanced study enabled her to continue learning in New Delhi under the great Violinist Sri.T.K.Jayarama Iyer of All India Radio.

After a year, she moved to Madras again to continue her lessons under the great Musiri Subramania Iyer for over a decade. Mani entered into a new era of her musical career after she came under the tutelage of veteran Sri.Musiri. Today she is one of the most authentic exponents of the inimitable Musiri school.

Mani Krishnaswami has won the following awards :

1973- Sangeeta Vidya Saraswathi Narasapuram (Andra Pradesh)

1974- Divya Gana Praveena Desika Darsana Sabha, Madras

1979- Sangeeta Choodamani Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, Madras

1980- Asthana Vidwan T.T. Devasthanam, Tirupati

1981- Nada Chintamani Udipi (Karnataka)

1987- Suswara Sukta Laya Sangeetha Tambaram, Madras

1987- Central Sangeet Natak Academy Award

1988- Nada Kanal Madras

1989- Ganakala Chakrawarthi Calcutta Fine Arts Club

1990- Sangitha Kalamrita Sathguru Gnananda, Mandaveli, Madras

1990- Tyagaraja Award Madras Telugu Academy

1991- 'Kalamamani' Award by Tamil Nadu Government State Academy

1992- TTK Memorial Award Music Academy, Madras

1992- Sapthagiri Sangeetha Vidwan Mani Sri Tyagaraja Trust, Tirupati

1993- Sangita Kalanidhi Madras Music Academy

1994- Honorary Doctorate Sri.Venkateshwara University, Tirupati

1995- Asthana Vidwan Sri.Ahobila Mutt, Srirangam

1995- Asthana Vidwan Sri.Andavan Ashram, Srirangam

In 1979, at the invitation of the Carnatic Music Society of North America, Mani Krishnaswami went on a 3-month concert tour coast to coast in USA and parts of Canada. She was, for a short period, Visiting Faculty at San Fransisco University.

Besides concert performances, Mani Krishnaswami has done commendable service in the promotion of devotional music. A number of her casettes have come out :
Adi Sankara's "Soundaraya Lahari" obtained for her the benediction of His Holiness, the Paramacharya of Kamakotipeetam.

Similarly Vedanta Desikan's Dayasatakam, Goda Stuthi, Narayana kavacham etc. have won for her the blessings and grace of His Holiness Srimad Andavan Swami and His Holiness the Jeer of Ahobila Mutt.

Likewise, cassettes of Mysore Vasudevacharya's Kritis, Navagraha Kritis of Muthuswamy Dikshitar, Gopika Geetham, Lalitha Sahasranamam won for her the admiration of musicians as well as of the general public.

Her recent contribution is the cassette on Muthuswamy Dikshitar's Navaa Varna Kritis.

The Hindu reviewing this cassette said "Of the thematic compositions of Muthuswami Dikshitar, Kamalamba Navavarna Kritis have a special appeal to musicians as offering a challenge in rendering them competently. The gait of the compositions is ponderous and a musician, in enunciating sahitya, has to be extra careful as the words are deemed to contain the efficacious benefits of an incantation of mantras. Mani Krishnaswami who has rendered them in two cassettes, has lived upto her reputation as one for whom sahitya is of as much importance as the musical garb in which kritis are clothed. Whether the song is in Tamil, Telugu or Sanskrit, Mani always bestows extra attention to sahitya."

Her latest contribution is a cassette rendering of Desika's"Achuta Satakam" in Prakrit language and it is set to music. It is amazing that she could render it in the ancient language so faithfully.

Smt.Mani Krishnaswami had been to USSR for participation in Festival of India in May/June 1988. Only two lady vocalists represented Carnatic Music in the Festival -- one Smt.M.S.Subbulakshmi and the other Smt. Mani Krishnaswami. Smt.Mani was accompanied on violin by Meera Narayanan (now Sivaramakrishnan) and on mridangam by Ramanathapuram Sri.M.N.Kandaswami. Her tour was an unqualified success judged by the reports received from USSR. She gave, in all 17, recitals at different cities of (then)USSR and according to her it was a "rewarding experience".

Smt.Mani Krishnaswami had been to Germany in 1991 to participate in the Festival of India. She gave about 17 recital in different cities of Germany and before returning to India, gave three recitals in London. Her recital in London was under auspices of the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan and secured for her a tremendous ovation from the huge gathering in Lord Mountbaten Hall.

The well-known music critic Subbudu once wrote about Mani Krishnaswami :

"Her voice, at once golden and mellifluous, fetching any phrase or note in whatever pitch, is her asset. From 'Varnam' to 'Tillana' it can sustain a recital, without a single false note. In this aspect, she is next only to Smt.M.S.Subbulakshmi."