Patri Satish Kumar

Carnatic Musicians
ram

Post by ram »

There are a few artists in every field that stand out just based on their sheer brilliance and I think Patri Sri Satish Kumar is one of those brilliant ones in the field of mrudangam playing today. I listened to him for the first time about 5 years ago and he has never ceased to amaze me since then. Just wanted to start a thread on him in the Vidwan & Vidushis section.

Here is some basic information about him from what was read out in a recent concert of his: His gurus are Sri Ramachandramurthy, Sri V. A. Swami, Sri Venkyala Narasimhan. His mother Smt. Padmavathy (a violinist, I believe) was the one who inspired him to take up music. He has played a lot with Sri Shashank (Flute) and Sri Ganesh & Kumaresh (Violin), among other prominent artists.

rkiran

Post by rkiran »

My heartfelt condolences to his mridangam.

narayanat

Post by narayanat »

I think Patri is simply amazing with his calculations and variety. He will stand out in the years to come with his hardwork and himility

tkb

Post by tkb »

A genius already he is and is sure to be one of the icons in the future.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

His anticipation and speed is superb, very nice nAdham. I called him some time back as "Usain Bolt" for his effortless playing. I do remember rams saying his fingering is little different than most mrudangist , perhaps rams can add more on that. There was only one occasion I felt he was slightly loud.

T J Venkatraman

Post by T J Venkatraman »

He is too good.

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

rkiran wrote:My heartfelt condolences to his mridangam.
:)

rajeshnat

Re: Patri Satish Kumar

Post by rajeshnat »

loved this smippet, way to go charged battery satish kumar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUf8Lt1w_v4

varsha

Post by varsha »

snippet ?
It is one in an astonishingly beautiful series of short documentaries .
please do check out all the rest in the Darbar series.
Very tastefully done ,

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I am writing this even before watching the videos.
I fully concur with Rajeshnat. I would go to a concert just to hear Patri. He can play with anticipation, soft touch and blistering salvos. He used to have a prominent quirky gumki type of sound but I don't hear it much of late.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Agreed. Patri is one of the best mridangists on the circuit today. I enjoy his thoppi-enhanced accompaniment to songs/kritis even more than his dazzling tanis. His skill level and speed are comparable to the all-time greats!

During the season sometimes I especially seek out his performances no matter who the main artiste is. That said, I really enjoy listening to him accompany instrumentalists like Jayanthi Kumaresh, Lalgudi siblings, Shashank. One of his best recorded performances is a commercial release; RTP in Latangi with Ravikiran (released by Charsur). The command with which his mridangam beat comes in at the start of the pallavi has the majestic stride characteristic of the likes of PMI.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Even for me, a novice in the layA department, Patri is a mrudangist who does not blare out his playing skills. He provides fine sounds with his mrudangam which sound intricate and pleasing to my ears. And he's very much there throughout a concert, supporting the main artiste. That's his strength. He does not build his playing just around a fireworks of a tani . His business seems to be that of a supporting player and he does it very well.
I happened to watch a video (of some popular program) where Patri played with another competent percussionist, Khanjari Amruth. One could see that they were immersed in their playing. Both played so well, and you did not see any ego play on stage at all.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

More about him at....

http://www.desishades.com/features.php?tab=2419

At long shots, I had many times mistook him as another long haired JV...

Many concerts where he had played " second fiddle" to many leading Artists are available in my you tube uploads..also..
This is another uploaded by himself..

PATRI SATISH KUMAR with MALLADI BROS-TANI-MISRA TRIPUTA TALAM...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSqjq_qyryE

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Lalgudi Krishnan and Viji played a brilliant Kamalambam Bhajare in Kalyani in Singapore 3 years ago. Patri played a scintillating tani, beginning with the rhythmic phrase "Kamalambam" so well. (UKS does this all the time).

I love it when Patri or Anand accompany Abhishek. It is a feast. Also the seminal 'Kalinga Nartana' piece of Aruna Sairam in that video clip above- you can see his anticipation. He is very good too when accompanying instrumentalists.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

LGJR, Viji, Patri at RSM 2009:
Http://bit.ly/Xzrlsy

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

>I love it when Patri or Anand accompany Abhishek. It is a feast.

I think Anand can play Kanjira. True? If so Abhishek-Patri-Anand combo will be quite awesome.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Anand can also play tabla. What I heard: He learnt from Zakir Hussain, without divulging he was Raghu's grandson! And when the maestro finished teaching and told him he was indeed very good, he revealed his roots.

I might have heard a session with TWO mridangams - Patri and Anand!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well, I don't know if he can sing too. In which case, his cousin might play the kanjari for him or, the mrudangam!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Arasi: I am not sure if he sings. But, Anand's wife Charumathi Raghuraman is an excellent violinist (disciple of TNK). There is a lot of music in that family for sure!
If you include Abhishek's aunt Jayanthi and his uncle, Kumaresh (by marriage) there are many more layers of musical legacy.

Returning to the person of the thread, Patri... what I also like about him is that he plays for the widest range of artistes in the carnatic spectrum. Here is a recording with Seetha Rajan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u60NTYdlAw) from her contribution to the melakarta series. And here is Rama Varma talking about Patri (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHEFvXUsFE4).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

During season, for the last few years the hindu is writing a small q and a focussing on only pakkavadhyam and upapakkavadhyam artists. This year they started wtih Patri, Pudukottai Ramachandran and Vaikkom Gopalakrishnan. Way to go team carnatic.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 661826.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Very nice of Patri to feature Patri Drum Festival. I am glad it is being held in kapali temple for sure that open air will be bit conducive just in case if the sound of mrudangam had more SOUND. Joy to see that TK Murthy mama is still playing , I did not know about Anand till this write up. Keep up the great show Patri.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 520043.ece

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Patri is a testimony of intense acceptance in the circuit of Carnatic Music. Lovely writeup of Patri in The Hindu dated 20th December,2018. One has to give it to many especially his mother Smt Padmavathy who sensed what her kid wants then and guided him to do in his life.

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 787366.ece

I hope Patri becomes the next great guru like A kanyakumari from the land of vizianagaram to produce a team of great performing disciples. Best wishes to duracell Patri