M.K.Tyagaraja Bhagavatar

Carnatic Musicians
Gamakam

M.K.Tyagaraja Bhagavatar

Post by Gamakam »

Yesterday was the Birth Centenary of the Legendary MKT.

The whole of TN was busy celebrating the b'day of Deputy CM. It is really surprising to see that none of the mainstream media bothered to cover such an important event.

http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.co ... 2/mkt-100/

rshankar

Re: MKT

Post by rshankar »

A very nice tribute. I love all his songs - a particular favorite of mine is the rAgamAlikA duet that he's sung with Jayalakshmi in the movie Sivakavi that has the rAga names inter-woven into the lyrics - vasanta Rtu manamOhanamE.

For those that can't read or see the tamizh script on the screen, here is a tranliterated version using Arun's handy-dandy transliterator (Gamakam, I hope you do not mind the liberty):

Ezhisai mannar MKTi-yin nUTRANDu nETRu toDa#ngiyuLLadu.

MGR, rajini pOnRa mUnRezhuttu sUppar hIrOkkaLukku ellAm munnODiyAga viLa#ngiya MKTi-yin nUTRANDu ivvaLavu amaidiyAgat toDa#ngiyiruppadu namba muDiyAmal irukkiRadu!

bAgavatar nUl ezhudiya J. rAmkiyuDan sila muRai MKT paTRi saga visiRiyAyp pEsiyuLLEn. avardAn minna~njal anuppi ninaivupaDuttinAr.

peTROrgaL vElaikku selbavargaL enbadAl, adigam nAn tAttAviDamdAn vaLarndEn. en appAvin appA periya MKT rasigar. nanRAgap pADak kUDiyavar. kAlai ezhundadu mudal MKT pADalgaLAy pADik koNDE iruppAr. siRu vayadil enakku sivakavi pADalgaL ellAm attuppaDi. yArEnum pADac sonnAl “ambA manam kanindu” enRu ArambittuviDuvEnAm.

enakkup pattu vayadAgum pOdu tAttA maRaindAr. avar maRaivukkup 10 ANDugaLukkup pin karnATaka isaiyil Arvam ERbaTTadu. appOdudAn mINDum MKT pADalgaL kETga ArambittEn.

haridAs, cintAmaNi, sivakavi pADalgaLai nUTRuk kaNakkAna muRai kETTiruppEn. “kavalaiyait tIrppadu nATTiyak kalaiyE” pADalil suzhaTRu sazhaTRi sa#ngadi aDippAr pAru#ngaL! AhA…ettanai muRai kETTAlum alukkAdu.

inda ANDu muzhuvadum nUTRANDudAnE! niccayam avaraip paTRi uruppaDiyAy edAvadu ezhuda vENDum!

tamizhp pattirikkai ulagum viraivil vizhittuk koNDu, oru mAberum kalai~narin nUTRANDai siRappAna muRaiyil koNDADum enRu nambuvOmAga!

Here is hoping along with you!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

His voice was unquestionbly the best in films. So far no one has challenged him for the top position..In those days there was no voice culiure training etc.Mere hard work and practice(SADHAGAM) Thanks
Gamakam and Ravi . gobilalitha

mohan

Post by mohan »

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

"He was out of the public eye when he passed way on November 1, 1959." - his legacy is cherished by one and all in Tamil Nadu.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

rshankar,

Thanks for taking the pain for transliterating my post. I didn't write much. Just wanted to bring the legend's centenary to notice.

Mohan: Thanks for the hindu link.

gobilalitha: I once asked abt. MKT to S.Rajam. (S.Rajam was part of the sivakavi crew) He said, "I have not seen anyone rehearse as much as MKT would do. He was a real perfectionist.". Apparently MKT rehearsed the song "Amba Manam Kanindarul" for more than 100 times! While Papanasam Sivan (the composer of the song) was satisfied with the rendition, MKT would go on and on till felt his rendition was perfect.

No wonder that Pantuvarali is so fresh even after so many decades!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Gamakam,

The beauty of the transliterator is that all you have to do is to copy and paste the article on the left side of the page, specify the language for the output and press the start tab - so, all the credit belongs to Arun.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

As an MKT fan in my childhood,looking back the Charukesi(Manmada Leelayai),Rashe Unakku Kobam Ahadedi-(one of the finest Chenjuruti I have heard ) still rings in my ears--when I saw Haridas(as a young boy)--I think in Tiruneveli--in the opening scene where MKT rides on horseback singing Vazhvilor Thirunal--the whole house was brought down with cheers dwarfing the ovation that MGR films used to evoke in the Sixties and Seventies--did not realise at that time--being too young--what a captivating alluring figure he was.

Memories,memories---

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

MKR
I have heard that after the popularity of Sakuntalai/Savithri and the mounting success of MS there was an attempt to match her with the golden voice of MKT. But it fizzled out for whatever reason. Do you know the inside story?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

CMLover: I am afraid not--as much as I think it to be unlikely(I have never heard Mama(TS) mention even as a joke.
One remote conjecture on my part--totally unsubstantiated---perhaps the popularity of yellow journalism(Indunesan / Lakshmikanthan) which was going heavily at both MKT as well as NCV and to a certain extent at MSS at that time as well might have been a "deal-killer" in my opinion. Although I was too young and forbidden to read Indu Nesan I recall my uncles quoting from Indunesan titillating lines like "Kali Sachiyum Neeli Kamatchiyum(NCV) Likewise there were similar unflattering references to MS as well.Ofcourse the subsequent developments--Lakshmikanthan's murder and MKT's incarceration robbed MKT of a lucrative film career coming as it did when he was at his zenith.

Notwithstanding all of the above,given Mama's commitment to elevating Mami's stature and the :germination" of the Meera idea,Mama may have decided not to "stoop" towards a pure commercial venture riding on the crest of a bOx-Office Superstar like MKT subordinating mami's role.

All of the above is pure speculation on my part I might add!!

An MKT joke that I had heard from my uncle:

Scene: Ariyakudi's daughter's wedding in Kumbakonam circa late thirties--the entire "who's who of CM had assembled for the wedding along with TNR and Veerusami Pillai.Seeing both of the Nadaswaram players ,several of the musicians were eager to have both of them play for the Janavasam as was the custom in those days--most of the times an all-night affair going round the temples.But knowing TNR's ego and irascibility(TNR as is well known self-anointed himself as Nadaswara Chakravarthy--I have seen letters signed by him occupying threefourths of the paper with big bold strokes Nadaswara Chakravarthy!!! so large was his ego that he did not think anybodyelse was even fit to play the "drone"(Otthu) let alone play alongside him. The musicians gang was eager but at the same time were apprehensive about approaching TNR directly with the requestVeerusamy Pillai the gentleman that he was would not have demurrhed at the sugestion).Instead they decided to field their request to Ariyakudi. Ariyakudi although 10 years senior to TNR(TNR had great respect for Ariyakudi as well) still hesitated and tried to parry the request saying "Avan Kalithanama Ennavavadhu solluvan(will reply insolently).But after the musicians persisted he came around and went and approached TNR. beginning with a clearing of throat(Ariyakudi was one of the most unassuming great artiste that I have ever come across and was always deferential even when he talked to persons much more younger than him) .Ariyakudi began the conversation saying all the musicians are eager to hear him and Veerusamy play alongside each other.Hardly had he completed the sentence TNR was ready to blow-up at the suggestion which he deemed an affront to his stature but restrained himself --calmed down and in a very plaintive voice pleaded" Anna Appadiya--Aanal Enakkum Oru Asai irukku"--ARI asked him what was his desire, to which TNR replies: I heard that MKT is also here attending the function--I would like YOU and MKT to sing together!!!!

needless to say ARI was totally flustered and muttering to himself as to why he let the musicians talk him into approaching TNR with the request knowing fully well how much it would infuriate him--however TNR laughed and said "Sari Sari Avanai varachollunga".

In the TNR thread I have mentioned some of his antics!! Nowithstanding the above TNR was a Hero in my eyes and I credit him with what little appreciation I have acquired over the years for the Gamakam sangeetham. that he epitomised with a whole generation of contemporary musicians and accompanying artistes imitating his style!!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

"The point is that if we are truly interested in enhancing art forms and if we have access to the artistes we owe it to the artistes to tell them our views(we may be wrong but atleast this gives us an opportunity to correct ourselves). I have never believed that public airing of such views and criticisms in public would serve its purpose." - Well said and is it not true as to how we should treat each other

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Re: MKT, Book Release Function at Chennai on 15th May 2010

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

All Rasikas are cordially invited.

Remembering MKT on his Centenary, musical homage, followed by the release of "BAGAVATHER HIS LIFE AND TIMES" an exhaustive biography of the music icon and first super star of tamil cinema containing uncollected facts, information and rare collection of photos, written by Suresh Balakrishnan.

Venue : Srinivasa Sastry Hall, 40,Luz Church Road, Mylapore, Chennai-4,
Date : 15th May 2010, Saturday
Time : 6.00 p.m.

Programmes to commence with video presentation of M K T Bagavather's songs, followed by the release of the book at 6.30 p.m.

Book will be released by the popular stage / cinema artist Shri.A.R.Srinivasan (popularly known as A.R.S.), first copy recieved by Dr.N. Ramanathan, Musicologist and Retd. HOD of Indian Music, University of Madras.

Copies of the book will be available at the venue for Sale with special price.

Original Price of the book : Rs.495/-, Price at the venue : Rs.450/-

cienu

Re: M.K.Tyagaraja Bhagavatar

Post by cienu »

Sharing a link on the legendary MKT with some rare pictures too.
http://raja1630.tripod.com/mktb/id9.html

VISHNURAMPRASAD

The Song Yeh Zindagi Usi Ki Hai & MKT (Thyagaraja Bhagavathar)

It was in way back 2009, my friend Suresh Balakrishnan, a genius, wrote and completed an incredible book on MKT, "bagavather his life and times" after years of research work with full of fact findings. The book reveals a lot about MKT's personal life, his stardom, his musical skills, his popularity in the concert stage and his struggles in life.

I had a chance to spend some time with him during his research days. When I expressed my wish to see the family of MKT, he took me to his daughter's house, I dont remember her name, but her husband if i remember was a retired professor from Pachiappas college by name Balachandra Ganesan. They were living in Villivakkam (some where behind Nadhamuni Theatre). Suresh's father was a good friend of many family members of MKT including MKT's Son (who died long back), his nephews and his sister's family, besides his daughter. We were welcomed happily by the old couple who were in their 70s by then. There was a small discussion about the book and how it came up. More than MKT'S daughter, his son in law wanted many facts to come out from the book especially to put an end to the wrong stories and gossips that were prevailing about MKT. He said, he married MKT's daughter only after MKT's death though he had seen MKT a couple of times and the talks were on for getting him married to his daughter. The entire family did not want to be in the limelight and maintained a very low profile, mainly to avoid hearing any negative talks about MKT who was a simple and pious human being. They were still mourning his death silently even after 50 years. MKT was too good to even fight back the negative talks about him, he chose to silently ignore them and focused on his family during his last days though he struggled a lot owing to poor health condition and worries about upbringing his young daughters and son.

When I asked his daughter if she had learnt music, she said her father had taught her some songs and she sang one song which is lingering in my ears, shaking my nerves and bring tears in my eyes. Even at 70s she had a deep throated voice aligned to the pitch perfectly and sang a song in price of Lord Muruga which was in the same tune as ''Yeh zindagi Usi Ki Hai'', famous song from the film Anarkali (1953, tuned by C.Ramachandra). The song was so touching and soothing to the ears and I closed my eyes and imagined the voice of MKT singing the same song. MKT's daughter completed singing the song and said she remembered the occasion of singing the song before Sathya Sai baba along with her father when they went to see him. When she spoke about her father she was very sad, though she controlled her emotions. I remembered seeing the photo of the 2 daughters of MKT crying at the feet of MKT's lifeless body seated on a chair.

To me, after moving with some his family members and close associates, MKT was an innocent sincere artiste who was a simple, pious and good human being, who led a life full of ups and downs and became a victim of media hypes.

The Media world perhaps is yet another avathar of the Kali purusha!

VISHNURAMPRASAD

The name of the lady whom i had met was Mrs.Susila, the elder daughter of MKT.