Vidwan VidyaBhushana

Carnatic Musicians
Sreeni Rajarao

Vidwan VidyaBhushana

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

A very popular artiste in karnAtaka, VidyaBhushana is known for his gifted voice and a huge repertoire of compositions of haridAsas.
It is not an exaggeration to say that many songs like pillangOviya celuva kRShNana (purandara dAsa's) and nammamma SArade umA mahESwari (kanaka dAsa's) have become popular only because of VidyaBhushana's renditions.

Besides his voice, one other aspect I enjoy is his clear enunciation of kannaDa lyrics. I had attended a live concert of VidyaBhushana here in Detroit (October 2006) where all the items presented were dAsara padas.
I was lucky to obtain a recording of this concert, and another concert he gave in Detroit during the same visit, again featuring only dAsara padas. I have enjoyed listening to these recordings many times over.

I hope our dear Mankuthimma (Kulkarni Sir) and others will be able to share some recordings and give an opportunity for rasikas on this forum to listen to VidyaBhushana's music.

There are some clips on YouTube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXmPpfL3 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pPd_CWa ... re=related

Sreeni Rajarao

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Vidwan VidyaBhushana

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I had a feeling this artiste (and this thread) may not be taken seriously, for I have heard people tell me that they don't think of him as a "serious" or "real" classical karnAtic musician.

I hope I am wrong, but makes me wonder if that is what it is, seeing that there is no response to this thread.

I have heard fine music from him, in a full length concert, which included rAga AlApane, neraval, kalpana swara and tani. I believe that is what his concerts feature when he performs in Bangalore and other places.

I must add that I respect members privilege that they can choose which thread they respond to, and what they say in thier response!

Sreeni Rajarao

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

I hope our dear Mankuthimma and others will be able to share some recordings
Sorry . Sreeni - I dont have any . He is well represented on commercial albums though.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Sreeni Rajarao wrote:I had a feeling this artiste (and this thread) may not be taken seriously, for I have heard people tell me that they don't think of him as a "serious" or "real" classical karnAtic musician.

I hope I am wrong, but makes me wonder if that is what it is, seeing that there is no response to this thread.

I have heard fine music from him, in a full length concert, which included rAga AlApane, neraval, kalpana swara and tani. I believe that is what his concerts feature when he performs in Bangalore and other places.

I must add that I respect members privilege that they can choose which thread they respond to, and what they say in thier response!

Sreeni Rajarao
Sreeni-I have attended a full fledged concert in Seshadripuram Ramanavami Celebrations . He sings the Daasa Sahithyam conveying all the emotions. They are all enjoyable. He has popularised innumerable no of Kannada songs.I have not yet purchased his available RECORDINGs.

sagars

Post by sagars »

I am a great fan of his. I have lot of his cassets mostly devorional picked up from the Mutt at Subramanya about 10 years ago when he was the Mutt Head. (Which post he relinquished after he married one of his rasikas)

There are few recordings of Thyagaraja kritis.

I heard him first time in TVG"s music festival in 1990s. He used to come regularly for Nungambakkam Cultural acedemy. How ever he has stopped coming to chennai for Dec festival.

But fan following for him is more for his devotional music only.

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

He is popular for his devotional songs only. He doesnot present an elaborate raga alapana or a lengthy, complicated swaraprasthara during his concerts. And nor are his concerts heavy and briga laden.
Harini.