Sethalapathi Balasubramanian

Carnatic Musicians
devidas

Post by devidas »

Greetings. Recently I listened to one commercial recording of Shri Sethalapathi Balu and also a lec dem on Papanasam Sivan in Sangeetham share. Surprised why such a treasure trove is not utilised fully by the CM world. Could someone share some information on this gentleman please. Thanks.

annapoorne

Post by annapoorne »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Devidas,

Thanks for the pointer to the lec-dem - great stuff. Especially part 2 where he sings like MMI - awesome! You are right - I wonder why we do not hear more from such a good artist...

ragam-talam

Sethalapathi Balasubramanian

Post by ragam-talam »

SETHALAPATHI BALASUBRAMANIAN, "Balu Mama", as he was endearingly called, is one among the stalwarts that failed to make it into the pages of history.

The scene does not fade — that Melthundu around his shoulders, vibuthi smeared on his forehead and both hands moving in gesture of self-admonition as he tries to bridge the gap between imagination and execution. And when his eyes closed, he had found the rhythm enveloping the lyric and the listener in one grand sweep.

His multi-tasking functions were to imagine, to execute and to evaluate, all discharged simultaneously. He never sought fame or money but would often remind one that he owed his very existence to Carnatic music. (In his own words "Isai ennai theruvil nirka vaikka villai").

Balu mama was a direct disciple of Papanasam Sivan and the fervour of the original versions had to be heard to be believed. His manner of teaching would transmit the bhava directly and instantaneously to the learner. He sought to bring the best out of the learner and in fact, that was his policy. Musicians who "passed through" him were legion. Practice and learning sessions were known for their impromptu pristine sangathis that had in them an air of spontaneity, always allowing for the greatest degree of improvisation never following the cut and dried method. The cadences were both compelling and persuasive. And there was no giving up.
Viruthams were his forte and what was distinguishable was not so much the raga, not so much the long karvais, not so much the unalloyed sahithya, but a combination of all these pouring forth with verve and vitality. He used to be particular about the impeccable usage of `kurils' (take Pa in Paravai) and `nedils' (take Paa in Parvai) and the need to elongate the phrases only where it was really warranted. The emphasis would be on the musical quality of the words without taking anything away from their literary excellence. And to boot, he would sing vruthams in almost all ragas that would serve as prefaces to the most appropriate songs ("Palum theli thenum" of Avvaiyar for the song "Ganapathiye Karunanidhiye", of Papanasam Sivan in the raga Karaharapriya, "Ulagelam Unarndhu" of Sekkizhar for the song "Sabapathiku Veru Dheivam" of Gopalakrishna Bharathi in the raga Abhogi, "Pannum Bharathamum" of Kumaraguruparar for the song "Saraswathi Dhayai Nidhi" of Papanasam Sivan, in the raga Saraswathi)

Karaikkudi Dr. Subramaniam of Brahdhwani saw in him a combination of forthrightness and simplicity. There was no kalmisham and his voice was at once flexible and robust and the tradition he stood for and carried forward was an integral part of him, unlike the many superficialities on parade today. When everything these days hinges on presentation, Balu mama was `real', an era. His total involvement could make a conversation with him a memorable spiritual experience.
excerpted from an excellent article in the Hindu: http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 280400.htm
Last edited by ragam-talam on 30 Oct 2010, 04:24, edited 5 times in total.

ragam-talam

Re: Sethalapathi Balasubramanian

Post by ragam-talam »

Two awesome uploads are available at sangeethapriya.
1. Lec-dem on Papanasam Sivan: http://www.sangeethamshare.org/nvn/seth ... i-lec-dem/
2. A Nada inbam concert: http://www.sangeethamshare.org/nvn/seth ... nadainbam/

Music of the highest order indeed.

After listening to his music, I simply cannot understand how a great vidwan like him could not get the recognition he surely deserved.
Strange are the ways of this world...

Does anyone know who his disciples are?

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

I do not know his full time disciples. But I think several artistes have learnt Sivan songs from him either directly or indirectly. This includes Sanjay Subrahmanyan - see this - Carnati Music and anything else

His son B.Ganapatiraman is of course is in concert circuit as a mrudangist.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

I am not able to resist myself from posting my experiences with the great human being and a nadopasaka!

I studied in Ramakrishna Mission Main School, T.Nagar during my higher secondary days. Once I was singing Thookiya Thiruvadi in the school music competition before Balu mama (i did not know who he was at that juncture). He somehow liked my singing though he was convinced that i am singing after listening to tape music, he corrected the dictions then and there during the competition and made me sing again. Later when he came out of the room, he just walked upto me and asked who i was and where did i learn the song from, i said, i heard it from a tape of Madurai Mani Iyer. He just patted me and said he was a bhakta of Mani Iyer and started an extempore "Ethanayo Piravi" neraval in the upper octave exactly like how MMI used to do. I was just taken aback of his full throated voice which had the depth to just shake your nerves! He introduced himself as S.R.Balasubramaniam a direct disciple of Papanasam Sivan who is working as a Secondary grade teacher in the same school where i was studying. I just fell at his feet immediately. He invited me to his house (near Baroda street west mambalam) and I went to his house the same evening along with him! He fed me evening tiffin and wanted me to sing some more songs that i knew and started discussing how MMI / GNB used to sing. He wanted me to bring whatever cassettes that I had to listen with him. Then started a relationship that lasted for many years where I had the oppurtunity to listen to number of concert recordings with him, to attend to many of his concerts, to even accompany him in couple of his concerts, to learn some great kritis of Papanasam sivan, thiruppugazhs, Gopalakrishna bharathi and many more tamil composers. My mother also had the privilege of learning many Thevarams, Thiruppugazhs from him.

Mama looked so simple that you could hardly believe that he possessed such a great talent. But when you just see him singing we will be blown off and taken aback on the prowess of his musical expressions, the stunning sruthi shudham, vaak shudhham, raaga bhaavam and above all a "hard to describe" devotional fervour which will transform you to another world. After seeing him singing, i would not dare to speak to him or go near him for a while unless he calls me "dei.. vaadaa, vandhu en pakkathula okkaru" (hey come and sit near me!).

As I remember, Trivandrum Baby used to learn from him, S.P.Ramh was his sishya (we used to call him "prabhu"), his daughter Srividya learnt a lot from him and could sing and even teach very well, the famous udayalur kalyanarama bhagavathar used to be a very frequent visitor to his house and learnt a lot of compositions from him. Infact Udayalur's main inspiration was Balu Mama!. Many musicians like Neyveli Santanagopalan, Sudha Raghunathan have learnt specific compositions of Sivan from him.

There were special rasikas for him including the great Lalgudi Jayaraman, Voletti Venkateswarulu (he admired Balu mama's virutham singing especially the raga "Jog"), Shri KVN (he used to admire Balu mama's varugalamo, kanavendamo, ayye methakadinam) and the list is just unlimited!

I have never seen Balu mama referring to any books to sing any krithis. Mama has composed many nice devotional songs which he used to sing in bhajans (we had the privilege to call him to our house many times for bhajans during Margazhi months focussing on lord ayyappan).

Mama was a great human being, childlike in nature, great sense of humor, encouraging talents and willing to learn from anyone, willing to teach to anyone with no expectation in return! His virtues were countless! i could just go on and on about my experiences with him but there are many others who would have many such great moments with mama, who can narrate their experiences in a better english than me :).

Mama's wife was like a mother to all of us, she never sent any of us without having food or coffee. His sons were good friends of mine (Ganapathyraman and Sivaraman) both of them are well settled in their profession as a mridanga vidwans and have earned a respectable name while mama was alive. Memories are gushing to me on how we used to spend time practising mridangam, singing and discussing music all the way without time frames. Unfortunately, i lost touch with the great man and his family during his last years owing to my work constraints!

I remember recieving his letter with headlines "irakkam varaamal ponadheno", "innamum paraamukham eno" to chide me for not visiting him like before! But not a day got past without remembering him. He was my guru, friend and a hero! I just thank god for giving me the oppurtunity to move with such a great soul!

The awards like Sangeetha kalanidhi, isai perarignar did not deserve that much to embrace our great Balu mama! He was an unsung hero, a great lakshana, lakshaya vidwan gifted with a lilting voice and natural devotion!

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

VRP,

Well.A moving tribute.Balu mAmA used to imitate the styles of past masters.Once I have heard him singing Mohanam like MMI,Maharajapuram,Madurai Somu and others.Had a baritone voice ( ghana SAreeram) yet melodic.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Thanks vishnuramprasad for the absolutely moving tribute/anecdote. You're a lucky person.

Indeed, for those who have had the privilege of listening Sethalapathi mama, absolutely no other music can compare.

I must thank the late Veena Vasu for introducing me to his music and making me go to his katcheri instead of some other popular artist with the words "nee ellam oru manishana, Sethalapathi patta vuttutu vera yedho kuppaiya kettundu" !! Needless to say, I was so blown away that I actually managed to drag my late father, who had stopped listening to music after the passing of MMI, to another Sethalapathi Katcheri. And my dad was convinced that music still lives - I've never seen him enjoy music like that. Same thing happened with my late father-in-law Shir Rammohan and they became good friends and Sethalapathi maama was featured in a few of his annual radha kalyanams. I am blessed to have had a few interactions I've had with him.

Somehow, recordings don't do justice to the greatness of his music which is awesome in every respect but reaches extrordinarily sublime heights when he's singing Tamil viruttams in ragas like Shanmukhapriya, Bhairavi, Kharaharapriya, Shahana, ... the list is endless. One of the most blessed souls in Carnatic music for sure.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear UDAY,
Sethalapathy & Veen Vasu ( I am glad you mentioned him) are two of VANISHED BREED of both greatness& genuineness.......Fortunately MEMORIES of such are what keeps us going......VKV

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

VRP - I was so moved by your writeup...as Uday said, you are truly lucky to have known such a great soul!

Came across this wonderful video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdO4q3Fg_KY
"Devi Navaratnamalika sung by Keerthana and Kriti Bhat to the tune set by Sri Sethalapathy Balasubramanian and taught to them by Smt. Rajarajeswari Bhat."

Please do listen to them! Such top quality music. Balu mama lives thru these youngsters...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VRP great narration .
4 or 5 years back I bought a lovely 2 volume CD titled manodharmam by Sethalapathi mAmA. It is a superb collection . It is a really beautiful collection, there are 23 numbers and all of them have his distinct stamp.
http://rajalakshmiaudio.com/web/index.p ... tail/id/39

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Duplicate thread http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... t=sethalap , merge please
-------------
Mod note: Thanks rajeshnat. Merged.

narayan

Post by narayan »

ragam-talam wrote:Came across this wonderful video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdO4q3Fg_KY
"Devi Navaratnamalika sung by Keerthana and Kriti Bhat to the tune set by Sri Sethalapathy Balasubramanian and taught to them by Smt. Rajarajeswari Bhat."

Please do listen to them! Such top quality music. Balu mama lives thru these youngsters...
Indeed! Enjoyed this music very much. Even though I have only heard a few recordings of Sethalapathi Balasubramanian, the impact was tremondous. I agree that there is a stamp of his music in this rendering. But the last raga is indeed Madhyamavati (not sri raga).

Also, either here, on in a separate thread, could someone write about Veena Vasu? I had met him a few times about 30 years ago and those (now dreamlike) encounters still have left very strong memories. For one thing, he was responsible for the two occasions that I heard T.Brinda, so I can never be grateful enough for that. I'd like to know more from those who knew him. Thanks.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Also, either here, on in a separate thread, could someone write about Veena Vasu? I had met him a few times about 30 years ago and those (now dreamlike) encounters still have left very strong memories. For one thing, he was responsible for the two occasions that I heard T.Brinda, so I can never be grateful enough for that. I'd like to know more from those who knew him.
Veena Vasu was ONE OF A KIND, a rare GEM, WHO WAS SNATCHED away from us at the prime of life but in the years he was in our midst
his CONTRIBUTIONS to our music was PHENOMENAL. HE WAS INDEED a very good veena artist- he worked in banking area-& great vidwans like T.K.Murthy & others VOLUNTARILY accompanied him based on his ability...Besides he arranged in his apartment EVERY WEEK at least once a SUBSTANTIAL CONCERT attended by Vidwans in additionto Rasikas the likes of which I do not think will ever occur again- THE MOST MEMORABLE CONCERTS I WAS LUCKY TO HEAR- & they were great because of the respect& enthusiasm of Vasu- a genuinely affectionate& sensitive human being- Your note brings tears to my eyes uncontrollably....
He helped especially vidwans who were excellent but did not get public acclaim or recognition. Music was all that mattered TO VASU; He gave away all his money to Vidwans to the tune of Lakhs to vidwans!...It is memories like these that propel me to Madras EVERY year after more than 50 years in USA.......The BEST OF THE BEST about our country& culture....In my career days I could visit only for two weeks but Vasu arranged his concerts especially around my schedule! I do not know how to express my gratitude!...VKV

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Thanks for that feast Vishnuramprasad.
will come back with some concert recordings and a video .

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Respected cacm,

Reference to Sri Veena Vasu kindles my association with him for more than a decade from 1970s.

He was working in LIC and his appreciation for music was supreme. He remained as a bachelor to look after his ailing mother. He had close relationship with the then established musicians as well as highly motivated musicians who could not be a very successful artists to perform in the Sabhas.

He used to be in touch with the later group of musicians and used to arrange concerts in his house. Many musicians used to attend the concerts at his house. He used to avail
GPF loan from his office every 3 months to pay for the artists who perform in his house.

As you may know that if any instrumental musician if they stop practicing even for a day, they loose the fluency of playing the instrument.[REF; Dwaram Venkatasamy’s advice to the Violinists].
As per this dictum, Veena Vasu had a daily schedule of strictly practicing so that he will be completing the revision of all the songs he had learnt to be completed in a week.
As he learns more krithis, the No. of krithis per day will increase to complete the practice in every week.

S.NAGESWARAN.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

http://www.mediafire.com/?i0zhf9bn3nkj4

three lovely renderings Parvathi Nayakane ( PAPANASAM ) Shanmukhapriya , Andavane Unnai Nambinen (PAPANASAM) Shanmukhapriya, Kanindarul ( PAPANASAM ) Kalyani .

Video ...
http://www.mediafire.com/?yytxeh7b5ilmais

Just The alapana for parvathi nayakane ....Cannot help shedding a tear for such Sadhakas .

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

here is a video..of the master..

Sethalapathi Balasubramaniam 04 Sendhil aandavan CHV Residence..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHF67rqN ... r_embedded#!

10 of his popular songs can be reached in my blog at..

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2011/03 ... aniam.html

venkatakailasam

Arpudha leelaigalai CHV Residence ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OBcGQQ_GdM

Thiruppugazh CHV Residence ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPxzikZaHYQ

Srividya Ramanath has posted nearly 10 live videos of the master..

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

very nice videos. thanks for the link Venkatakailasam.
Sethalapathy avl is accompanied by both his sons Ganapathyraman and Sivaraman in this. It is very nice to see NSG sitting right up front and listening to the music with much enjoyment.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sanjay writes about Sri Sethalapathy avl in his blog today: http://sanjaysub.blogspot.com

venkatakailasam

Concert 42-Sethlapathi Balasubramaniam...
listen at:

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2013/11 ... isten.html
Concert details...
001-brindavanam-sudha danyasi
002-ganarasamudan-Begada
003-parvathinayagane-Shanmugapriya
004-sadasivakumara-sudha saveri
005-Poonkuil-Kapi-Kalki Krishna murthy
006-navasidhipettralum-karaharapriya
007-ennai-kattharulvai-Saraswathi
008-Kanindarul-Kalyani-Adi-Papnasam_Sivan
009-ennai_kAttaruLvadu-hEmavati
010-Kana kann kodi vendum--kAmboji

ganeshkarthik

Post by ganeshkarthik »

Hello , it is great to talk about this the legend sethalapathi mama in this forum. Can some body tell who is the composer of the song brindavanam ithuvo ?

kvchellappa

Sethalapathi Balasubramaniam

Post by kvchellappa »

Here is something soothing to read, of a man who lived for music without need for limelight:
https://www.outlookindia.com/website/st ... ros/305035

shankarank

Re: Sethalapathi Balasubramaniam

Post by shankarank »

That was mOhanakalyAni in the recording that he starts in the first clip. Well I didn't know, that rAgA can be so emotional until I heard this! It is a repeat of Tadepalli experience in Music club IITM. If this Man also had sung for some money - I might have heard him there also!

Well there was a lot of discussion about this man in Sangeetham.com and his sons are no less caliber percussionists probably because of his music, voice and emotion!

Why is money such a barrier on both sides?

Sachi_R

Re: Sethalapathi Balasubramaniam

Post by Sachi_R »

Sethalapathi Sir caught our attention here too, and many wrote about him.

I think for all naysayers, all brahmcriminal attention mongers, for all sensationalist alarmists, one dose of a Papanasam Sivan and one dose of a Sethalapathi will do. To cure the malaise for good.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Check this for a wonderful collection of 108 videos –
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wCH5a8H-Mu