Post by venkysubrama » 13 Feb 2015, 21:19

Vande Santam Hanumantam
composed by Sri Ganapathy Sachchidananda Swamiji
0 x

sasip

#154 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by sasip » 25 Mar 2015, 11:49

Dear Rasikas,
I have not listened to Somu Sir performing live; that's my bad luck. But whatever recordings that I have listened, it is observed that he didn't use to sing many of Dikshitar or Shyama Sastri krithis. I have heard recordings of Meenakshi Memudam and Maha Ganapathe (Natanarayani), but not many. Can someone throw some light to this?

Almost similar. I have not heard Sri. MDR singing any Papanasan Sivan songs.

Sorry if I am not right. Also please keep this thread live. So interesting.

Sasi
0 x

CRama

#155 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by CRama » 25 Mar 2015, 12:06

Yes Madurai Somu has not sung many Deekshitar Kritis.His USP was the tamil compositions which he used to put his soul and life into it which audience enjoyed and welcomed immensely. Many tamil songs- we do not know who is the composer- whether he himself has composed- .He had an immense stock of Thyagraja kritis.
0 x

Pasupathy

#156 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by Pasupathy » 26 Mar 2015, 03:08

Chokka Lingame - Madurai Somu ...and see on the right more videos....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvcloi3R82A
0 x

varsha

#157 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by varsha » 27 Mar 2015, 08:10

Also please keep this thread live. So interesting.
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/f0dk2d6 ... garAja.mp3
0 x

vintageaudio1954

#158 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by vintageaudio1954 » 28 Mar 2015, 00:09

This is from the 1975 KGS concert with LGJ-UKS-SHY-THV-Mahadevan
0 x

Pasupathy

#159 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by Pasupathy » 11 May 2015, 03:29

Madurai Somasundaram Lalgudi CSM - Bhairavi & Chandrakauns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKLj1e- ... Rr-hkOfYdc
0 x

rajeshnat

#160 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by rajeshnat » 19 May 2016, 23:25

This post has nothing to do with the music of madurai somu. But i have few recollections of him in the time of mid 1980's to 1989 as he lived very close to where I lived in nungambakkam in chennai. His house was in Lake Area just opposite to his house is valluvar kottam. Right next to his house I used to play tennis ball cricket in my friends house . When some one hits a long shot towards deep longon the ball usually lands in somu house . I have had few recollections of going into his house and picking up the tennis ball . Some time just to play a bit of tantrums I and one more of my friend used to sing one line maruda malai mA maniyE murugaiyyA and there shri somu used to be there outside his house in the portico we yell that line maruda malai mA maniyE and then pick the tennis ball and go out and play. For many years i did not know that he was a carnatic musician but I thought he is the one musician who has sung maruda malai mA maniyE in doordarshan oliyum oLiyum.

I have also seen him in a particular barbar shop and I distinctly remember one or two occassions where he used to sing in the shop when he comes for a haircut or a shave . I have no clue what he sang but all i recollect him as an extremely lovable person , well if one listens to his music I can now extrapolate that personality. My father and chitappa used to talk some what with him.

Also there used to be a flood light night tennis cricket match near his home in nungambakkam corporation ground. I have seen him there also .

Also in the last season I had a chance to chat with VL kumar the violinist who has played a lot for somu in 80's . VL kumar told me an interesting anecdote about madurai somu .Many in the audience just hand over song lyrics either few hours before the concert or even just during the concert . somu just like that takes those and sings extempore in kutcheri in ragamaliga ragas and many in the audience used to love it . No practice just like that he tunes and sings - what daring confidence only madurai somu can do .I am not talking those tukkadas like enna kavi which he and /or anayampatti adisesha iyer have taken . But there are few viruththams or some tukkadas where there is a sudden thunder of loose words in praise of goddess rajeshwari or lord muruga - he just pours with music with utmost bhakthi- few like it and few have found it not so palatable . I love his music for his manodharmam ,charge and *endurance*.

Now over to Rsachi in sharing his outstanding recordings and also arasi can translate if possible to english ,pasupathy sir's wonderful writings on this one of a kind- maximum throw musician.
0 x

arasi

#161 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by arasi » 20 May 2016, 00:14

Rajesh,
Love your recollections!

I am ready with a portion of the translation. Will keep at it the next few days.

Now, should I post them here, or as Sachi suggests, in a separate thread?
0 x

Rsachi

#162 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by Rsachi » 20 May 2016, 09:28

The thread Somu will encompass many things. My idea of paying our tributes to a genius who went unrecognised with the SK title by MA is not going to be served well unless we start a separate thread (under Vidwans and Vidushis) with the qualifier. My last 2 cents.
0 x

Pratyaksham Bala

#163 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by Pratyaksham Bala » 20 May 2016, 10:37

Madurai Somasundaram - Top 100 Tracks :-
http://mio.to/artist/Madurai+Somasundaram/tracks
0 x

Rsachi

#164 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by Rsachi » 20 May 2016, 11:52

Here are some magnificent concerts - in full- of Madurai Somasundaram:

http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.in/ ... rai%20Somu

Six full concerts, each better than the other, with exquisite accompaniment -Lalgudi, MSG, MC, Chalakudy, Raghu, Dorai, Upendran....
Enjoy. So many hours of pure bliss.
0 x

dipukaruthedam

#165 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by dipukaruthedam » 21 May 2017, 23:00

Recently, stumbled upon the below concert:

https://www.sangeethamshare.org/muralid ... utta-1969/

Amazing and wonderful (though audio quality is not great due to the older recording constraints)

Typical "Somu concert" in more than many ways -
- A full 4.5 hours concert! (I think this version has now become extinct!)
- What a flow of energy and enthusiasm!
- The "paddhathi" of Somu is his "own" version of the traditional one. He doesn't really need any warmups! In many of his concerts, he starts Nerval and swaras from the first song itself. Here, swaras appear in the first, then Neraval comes for the next two. The number of neravals and swarams he presents is generally much higher than others. (compare this with the current trend where one should feel happy if a neraval comes in the sub-main. Sometimes, a whole concert goes with just 1 or max 2 neravals).
- The mix of ragas is also notable, few common ones, with few interesting ones...
- Once can see how much he is appreciating the music as much as he is singing... It comes deep from his heart and the "Aiyyo..." that comes when he hears some wonderful replies by LGJ or by percussion itself is worth hearing :)
- The concert is worth listening just for LGJ returns as well! The way the concert gets embellished by his so lovely!
- There are also other typical stuff like stopping in between an alapana and saying "namaskaram, namaskaram" and continuing the alapana from where it was stopped!

Hope you all hear the concert and add additional points on the music, individual songs etc...

It would have been a treat to watch him live!
0 x

ram1999

#166 Re: Madurai Somu

Post by ram1999 » 22 May 2017, 17:13

dipukaruthedam wrote:
21 May 2017, 23:00
Recently, stumbled upon the below concert:

https://www.sangeethamshare.org/muralid ... utta-1969/

Amazing and wonderful (though audio quality is not great due to the older recording constraints)

Typical "Somu concert" in more than many ways -
- A full 4.5 hours concert! (I think this version has now become extinct!)
- What a flow of energy and enthusiasm!
- The "paddhathi" of Somu is his "own" version of the traditional one. He doesn't really need any warmups! In many of his concerts, he starts Nerval and swaras from the first song itself. Here, swaras appear in the first, then Neraval comes for the next two. The number of neravals and swarams he presents is generally much higher than others. (compare this with the current trend where one should feel happy if a neraval comes in the sub-main. Sometimes, a whole concert goes with just 1 or max 2 neravals).
- The mix of ragas is also notable, few common ones, with few interesting ones...
- Once can see how much he is appreciating the music as much as he is singing... It comes deep from his heart and the "Aiyyo..." that comes when he hears some wonderful replies by LGJ or by percussion itself is worth hearing :)
- The concert is worth listening just for LGJ returns as well! The way the concert gets embellished by his so lovely!
- There are also other typical stuff like stopping in between an alapana and saying "namaskaram, namaskaram" and continuing the alapana from where it was stopped!

Hope you all hear the concert and add additional points on the music, individual songs etc...

It would have been a treat to watch him live!
3 artists in my opinion who get completely immersed in their own music, oblivious of what is happening around them, completely soaked in the art are MDR/Voleti and Somu. A class apart musicians !!!
0 x