T.H. SubashChandran

Carnatic Musicians
mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yjiHenJx5mE

I have a question about the following thani.

I've been listening to carnatic music for a long long time, especially thani's. With as much respect as I can muster, I'd like to have someone explain to me what is so great about this particular ghatam thani. From what I can muster, this thani is not special at all. The korvai's that he plays are exactly similar to what his students play...but it seems like every time he does something, he looks like he's expecting great praises...especially the way he looks at Ravikiran and Akkari Subhalaskmi.

I know that he's considered one of the top ghatam artists, but could someone explain to me why? From what I've heard over my years, I'd rate him in the top 15-20 maybe...but I suspect that I might be missing something...

Could you guys help me understand maybe why he's considered one of/if not the best ghatam artist? I just get the feeling that's he's quite the show-off...and has seniority over others...but that's just about it.

I apologize if my tone is considered offensive.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I regret that my 'broadband' is pretty bad when it comes to streaming video, so i have not seen your clip and cannot comment on it.

Whilst I'd say that we can't judge a senior (or any perhaps) artist from one clip, I'd say that there is nothing wrong with a "what's so special about...." question!

It is something that, one way or the other, we can only learn from.

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

I guess my point is that is more as to why he makes so many gestures when he plays (during the thani, he does a quick finish with one hand and then points at ravikiran with the other).
I've never seen anyone else do that...and i found it a little shocking and over-done...

arunk

Post by arunk »

I fail to see the value of such an exercise. You dont like his mannerisms, and i guess dont like his attitude. Fine - but this is nothing new or unique. Take any artist, you will have someone complain about some aspect of their music, and then ask why others consider them great or good.

Arun

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I've never seen anyone else do that
Generally speaking , Ghatam artistes are a bit expressive - more so , from the Vikku Vinayakram days..

atleast THS does not keep throwing up the Pot....:D:D

I have a feeling that this is something picked up from their fusion experiments - Tabaljis(especially Zakir) , Drums-Sivamani etc are very much similar in their showmanship

What I love about Ghatam artistes -though-is their ability to time the spots , in which they play , during a concert-
squeezing themselves in-so to speak- , for their share of limelight...
( And I love Karthik , in these matters.His smiley responses are sometimes ,hypnotising)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes, mannerisms don't really really count, although they can annoy, of course.

I am not fond of the more 'physical' style of singing: I think sometimes, you are singing, please do not confuse it with giving a dance performance. But if I want to listen to the artist, then I have to shut my eyes!

Another ghatam artist I would add to the list for a great combination of modesty and brilliance is V. Suresh.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Talking about ghatam, there's one concert recording I've heard (can't remember which one) where ghatam accompanies the vocalist and mridangam supports the violinist for most of a kriti. Sounded quite nice. I'm sure this has been tried by others?
Last edited by jayaram on 12 Jan 2007, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

-
Last edited by mahesh3 on 13 Jan 2007, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.