Amritha Murali

Carnatic Musicians
venkatakailasam

Amritha Murali

Post by venkatakailasam »

Amritha Murali is a disciple of Sri K.R. Kedaranathan, Smt. Meera Kedaranathan and Smt. Rama Ravi. She is currently under the tutelage of Sri P.S. Narayanaswamy. She also trains under Smt. T. Rukmini for violin playing.

With such impeccable credentials and a meticulous work ethic, she has become one of the brighter talents of the young brigade that gives much hope and optimism for the future of Carnatic music....read more at..

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2729792.ece

E swara-005-Amrtha murali-vocal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKz5qJofeI

archa

Re: Amritha Murali

Post by archa »

I simply love Amrita Muali's music. Whether it is Thyagaraja or Dikshitar she sings the songs beautifully and authentically too. Her alapanas are also very pleasing and full of bhava. She will certainly go places. He CD on Dikshitar's Kamakshi kritis was simply wonderful.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It seems that when she is not on stage she is often in the audience. I do like to see an artist take so much time to watch other artists. I guess her whole life must be music

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice writeup of amritha. I wish i was there to hear her tara sthayi with ease sangathis.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... ertainment

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

This was on ARTery or Parivadini live coverage. Archived I am sure.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat wrote:Nice writeup of amritha. I wish i was there to hear her tara sthayi with ease sangathis.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... ertainment
It would have been nice, had it been in English.

However, I was there to enjoy the concert, which was indeed superb. Amritha just goes on getting better and better each time.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Nick H wrote: It would have been nice, had it been in English.
Ha, ha. priceless! :))

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

:)
"Amritha Murali in the recent times is computing more value to her music." I am not familiar with that phrase 'computing more value'. Google was not much help either. The closest was 'computing the relative value of..'. Is it in common use? On a whim, I wanted to see what Google translation to Tamil would yield https://translate.google.com/#en/ta/com ... re%20value it produced "மேலும் மதிப்பு கணக்கிடும்" ( mElum madhippu kaNakkiDum ). Strangely that actually makes a bit more sense than the original :) since 'madhippu' also means 'respect' so I can interpret that with a stretch 'She is adding elements to gain more respect for her music'. ( I can see now the author generalized 'adding' to 'computing' )

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

there are many such I never understood which all originated here in our Indian publications like ' under the scanner"

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

under the scanner = under the radar

meaning, without being noticed

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Curious... I read "Under the scanner" as meaning the opposite! More like under the microscope, meaning being scrutinised, examined, investigated. Maybe the real definition is still on the anvil ;)

The Amrutha Murali review was not in English of any kind; not Indian English, not Indian-English-Language-Newspaper English, not any English, only a weird kind of gibberish sometimes seen in music reviews. I think we have had whole threads of laughing at this, but the serious question is why educated people, writing for an educated audience, continue to do this? How does it get past educated editors?
On a whim, I wanted to see what Google translation to Tamil would yield
Hmmm... I wonder if Google Translate to English would work? :)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I feel SureshVV has computed a new meaning for under the scanner. As I understand it, AND Nick, so does the Hindu, too:
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 835365.ece

Let me sculpt a new one for rasikas.org :
Whenever a concert under the scanner is imputed to compute a new complex curvilinear connected constabulary of competent vocal vidwat, it begs the question of where the needle of suspicion points to: lack of lakshya, lack of lakshana, or the wrong English curriculum for the reviewer in question.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I'm just getting to catch up on this...Nick that was priceless. I suggest that every English teacher in the country cut this piece out, enlarge it, frame it, and hang it in their classrooms as an example of 1) how not to write, OR, 2) how to bullshit and make it sound highfalutin!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

No, it doesn't even pass as high-falutin'

Even a management meet of marketing men would frown!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

On Jan 10th,2020 in The Friday Review , there is this center page writeup of Amritha Murali. Best wishes on her musical journey.
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 522694.ece

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Amritha is a brilliant and deeply knowledgeable musician, both as a vocalist and violinist. This year I heard a great concert at Arkay online where bhajarE chitta was the main. Also heard her at Kalakshetra some months back. The entire TMK RKSK shishya parampara was there to listen that day.

She is someone who genuinely keeps learning as a true student of music without flaunting it. Of late she takes great effort to present the compositions of Dikshitar as per the old raga lakshana of his period to the extent where she has proved that full manodharma and entire concerts can be done very well with it. In doing so our knowledge of music has been enhanced considerably. I was thinking it will take much longer for the CM world to appreciate it, but she has proven key to accelerating this.

She now gives more vocal concerts and has been steadily improving her vocal capabilities with every year. But I have also heard her as a violinist back in my IITM Music club concerts. Outstanding stuff.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

as a part of raga lakshana series of the music academy's conference, Amritha gave a very knowledgeable presentation on yadukula kamboji ragam

CRama

Post by CRama »

Link to the lec dem on Yadukulakambodi by Amrita Murali and L.Ramakrishnan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvNMJ68aFhs

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Amritha is a very sedate and melodious artiste. She is doing better and better all the time! Best wishes to her

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

What a lovely person ! Thanks for for the video..

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ranganayaki wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 07:14 What a lovely person ! Thanks for for the video..
Quite a few years ago, I mentioned to her that, unlike many others, I would see her regularly in the audience at the concerts. She told me that she simply cannot go long without the music. She is sincerely humble, and will react with amazement if she is referred to as a senior artist. From the many other moments when our paths have crossed, although we may have not have had much conversation, I would say that she is indeed a lovely person.

I think she may have since joined the growing school of R K Sriramkumar? ...Yes, she talks about it after I posted.

sankark

Post by sankark »

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Nick H wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 17:53 She is sincerely humble
So glad you said it (for me)! It came across so clearly and she wasn’t even trying! It wasn’t even a thought in her mind.

But as a grammar Nazi (in my mind only), I found her pleasingly grammatical too, 🙂 in ways that people never are any more. And that sounded so natural too. (Eg.:The correct use of the possessive in expressions that resemble “a friend of mine” or ”a book of Bob’s!” It is not of any importance to anyone any more and I have to silently put up with it. )

Any resemblance of my examples to any other post is purely a coincidence :D, really. I really felt that about her language and feel very happy to mention it 😂!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

She generalized! "In any art form , you have to keep learning!" Is sangItam an art form? It is a sampradAyam. Which art form people learn? And keep learning?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

From the recent Sudha Raghunathan tete-a-tete:

With music, there is only so much one can teach. But there is a whole lot one has to learn.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Of course you have to continue to learn. It’s like riding your bicycle. The more you advance, the less your mind is on pressing your foot down and then comes a time when you are no longer “pedaling”, you are riding your bike. Then comes a time when you are no longer ”riding your bike,” you are ”going somewhere.” And balance is this fabulous dynamic thing that you are not even conscious of. Just a parallel, but the learning in music continues even when you are an expert. But the parallel remains.

The details of the sampradayam, I imagine, are like everything you have to keep in your head as you learn to ride a bike. But one gets beyond that and makes it one’s own expression, just as we do when we freely ride. The sampradayam does not disappear, but it is not at all the preoccupation. Our mind goes to another level of experience and the sampradayam becomes less conscious. Then you learn the next thing that’s new to you, a new level of sampradaya..

I feel that of course music is an art form. But as I think about it, This is what I feel: it is an art form but not every musical output at any level is art. Art happens at magical moments. I imagine that it Might happen when the mind of the musician not on the opinion of the listener or even himself, or on sampradaya which has been internalized. I imagine these moments to be spiritual experiences even for people in the audience if there is one. I’m sure there is much more to say about this.

I hesitate to post this actually, but here I go..

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ranganayaki wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 20:20
I feel that of course music is an art form. But as I think about it, This is what I feel: it is an art form but not every musical output at any level is art. Art happens at magical moments. I imagine that it Might happen when the mind of the musician not on the opinion of the listener or even himself, or on sampradaya which has been internalized. I imagine these moments to be spiritual experiences even for people in the audience if there is one. I’m sure there is much more to say about this.
Very nicely put. Art happens when Sampradaya is transcended.

An activity where one is attempting to reach these "magical moments" is art.

Every concert of AM is art.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Nick H wrote: 19 Nov 2014, 14:07 but the serious question is why educated people, writing for an educated audience, continue to do this? How does it get past educated editors?

May be a simple answer: a case of the emperor’s new clothes?

The belief is that there must be something to it. The non-carnaticky reader would believe that it would be comprehensible if he knew the music. The one with a poor vocabulary would believe he would understand if he knew the words. Most of the readership would fall into these categories. The editor - that one’s harder to explain- lazy, may be, or spineless, and may not want to rock the boat that’s bobbing along fine? But can they possibly not be reading Rasikas?

I know this response comes years after the original post, but I only came across this thread in the last few days!

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 11:21 A Brief Encounter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVOKWNKIwk
Some genius decided to add drone to an interview :roll: It 'encounters' her voice totally!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Amrita Murali is an excellent entry to the established circle of musicians.She is very humble and sincerely gives her best in live concerts.
Yes many young musicians do not attend concerts of other musicians except their Gurus.
This is the case in Bangalore but in Chennai Amrita leads by example by attending concerts of other artists.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ouch! Such a lot of noise. Sad that they were so technically inept :(

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Would have been better if they had clipped the mike on to Amritha's blouse or something. The interviewer is very careful with it.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Whilst the bottom line is that the organisers should have used appropriate equipment and set it up properly, I'm a little disappointed to see a young musician not being more aware of using one of the prime tools of her trade.

I'd like to teach the youngster a simple lesson too. She's doing like many, many others would do, but the solution is simple: "Is that how you would ask your friend a question? Don't recite the question, ask it as if it was your question and you are asking a friend."

Small quibbles, but stuff too few bother to teach or learn, thus beginning a lifetime of stilted microphone announcements.

In happier times, not that many weeks ago, I was able to tell a dancer that I had enjoyed her dance a lot, but above all things, I was amazed and delighted to see a dancer who could read poetry, who could tell a story at the mic, properly. Very rare. It's never too early to learn :). (maybe never too late too, but step one is admitting there is a problem)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Nick H wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 19:08 Whilst the bottom line is that the organisers should have used appropriate equipment and set it up properly, I'm a little disappointed to see a young musician not being more aware of using one of the prime tools of her trade.
It was a mickey mouse microphone, so lets not call it a "prime tool of her trade". :D
I'd like to teach the youngster a simple lesson too. She's doing like many, many others would do, but the solution is simple: "Is that how you would ask your friend a question? Don't recite the question, ask it as if it was your question and you are asking a friend."
Agree! But hope she doesn't read this since all her friends and relatives are probably telling her how cutely she asked the questions. :D
Last edited by sureshvv on 20 Jul 2020, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

lol, that's inevitable.

If she does read this, I hope she understands that I really, seriously, genuinely, am trying to help :)

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I didn't realise till I saw a blog post from Sriram V [Sec Music Academy] that she is his niece!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Everybody is related to somebody.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Dec 2021 concert review from The Hindu
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 071495.ece