M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
cienu

#1351 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by cienu » 22 Oct 2017, 16:31

A Ghatam's Story
Year: Nov 1975
Place: Singapore

My Grandmother Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi along with my Grandfather T Sadasivam, my mother and her sister Radha and Vijaya respectively and the team of brilliant musicians Kandadevi Sri Alagiriswamy, Guru Kaaraikudi Mani and Sri Vikku Vinayakram landed at the Paya Lebar Airport in Singapore.

As they waited for their luggage in the baggage area, in a corner someone spotted Vikku Vinayakram in tears.

His Ghatam had arrived in a broken condition due to mishandling by ground staff :(

Musicians fervently believe that their instruments are infused with "Jeeva" (Life) and the relationship with an instrument is more often than not deeply personal.

Added to this, was the fact that only a miracle could now ensure that Vikku Mama took the stage along with my grandmother and mother for the ensuing concert.

Unlike in present times, in those days it was next to impossible to find alternative instruments in a foreign land.

Nevertheless to the credit of the Singapore organisers they launched an immediate hunt for a Ghatam with the appropriate Sruti.

As providence would have it, just a few hours before the concert was to begin at Victoria Concert & Theatre Hall, someone mentioned that one Wilfred Douglas Anthony a Singaporean Tamil of Ceylonese Origin, a detective by profession, was a collector of Ghatams and a keen amateur Ghatam player himself !

Vikku Mama was taken to Sri Anthony's home and to the former' s delight a Ghatam with the exact Sruti was found.:) With the Ghatam now firmly in his hands, a delighted Vikku Mama rushed to the concert hall.

The Kutcheri was a fantastic success and the Taniavartanam brought the audience (blissfully unaware about the drama behind the scenes ;) ) to their feet !

After the concert Sri Anthony requested my Grandmother and my Grandfather and all the artists to sign on the Ghatam.

He said that as a tribute to the memory of this historic concert he would preserve this Ghatam carefully and would not use it henceforth for any other purpose.

The autographed Ghatam was respectfully placed in a glass case and carefully secured in the pooja room (altar) of Sri Anthony's home where it stayed safe and sound for many decades.

A few months before he shed his mortal coils, WIlfred Douglas Anthony handed over this precious gift to Sri Shankar Rajan, Principal of SIFAS Singapore for safekeeping in whose home it is now
safely ensconced. :)

PS: Prior to my daughter S.Aishwarya's concert at SIFAS Singapore on July 1st 2017, Sri Shankar Rajan told me this story and I am therefore extremely thankful to him. Further details have been corroborated by my mother Smt Radha Viswanathan.
Picture Credit : Sri Shankar Rajan.
3 x

Ramasubramanian M.K

#1352 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K » 22 Oct 2017, 21:07

GREAT STORY CIENU: I am not surprised--Vikku's implacable faith in Paramacharya--like your Grandmother- is responsible for this turn of events.Likewise,in 1977 during the US tour MSAmma's concert in Washington D.C.- a couple of hours before the concert MSAMMA's voice turned hoarse(due to some changes in the weather,I guess) right unto her getting on stage.Once she invoked Paramacharya in her mind the hoarseness vanished and the concert was an astounding concert. Myself and Nirmala mami with a couple of. our friends. attended the concert.You can verify this with your Mother.

Such instances of unconditional Bhakthi should reinforce all our actions
1 x

RSR

#1353 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by RSR » 24 Oct 2017, 21:51

Wonderful chronological sketch of the Life , Art and Awards , of Smt.M.S.Subbulakshmi with nice photos.
http://pedia.desibantu.com/m-s-subbulak ... hronology/
http://3rc5gc20wpdg1ns78q2pqq9fj6z.wpen ... 89x493.jpg
2 x

vsn69

#1354 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by vsn69 » 25 Oct 2017, 05:56

RSR wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 21:51
Wonderful chronological sketch of the Life , Art and Awards , of Smt.M.S.Subbulakshmi with nice photos.
http://pedia.desibantu.com/m-s-subbulak ... hronology/
http://3rc5gc20wpdg1ns78q2pqq9fj6z.wpen ... 89x493.jpg
What a great career for a fantastic lady and so well presented in the sketch...
0 x

kartheeksharma

#1355 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by kartheeksharma » 07 Nov 2017, 19:40

Can anyone please post the lyrics of Rama bhaja gurunanak shabad by ms subbulakshmi
I'm searching on net but unable to find it.
0 x

RSR

#1356 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by RSR » 21 Nov 2017, 14:15

I consider it a great misfortune that Smt.MS was dragged into the Thmizh Isai movement. just when her voice was absolutely divine ( 1940-1953(. Of course, she would have sung many traditional songs of the Trinity in concerts during those years but they are not available as 78 RPM records. . The plain truth is that we never had music composers of the stature , devotion and scholarship of the CM composers beginning from Purandaradasa , Sadasiva Brammendram, the Trinity and Swathi ThirunaaL... When ruminating over this, I have an imaginary concert in mind. of these songs. Learned rasikas can suggest re-arranging the order to fit into a typical concert. Roughly for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
1) Jagadhaanandahkaarakaa ( naattai)
2) koluvamaragate (todi)
3) kaliyugadali (chenchurutti)
4) daasanamaadiko ennae ( nadhanaamakriya)
5) naanege badavanu ( behag)
6) jagadhoddhaaranaa ( pilu)
7) brocheva evaruraa ( kamaj)
8) ennagaanu raamabajana ( panthuvaraali_
9) yadhuvamsa thilakane
10) vaasudeva kamaalasana ( telugu) ( chenjurutti)
11) dhinamani vamsa ( harikamboodhi)
12) rangapura vihaara
13) tulasi dhalam uchyathe
14) jagadisa nadanaamakriya
15) bruhi mukundeti
16) vaishnava janatho
==================================
These are all of Vaishavite theme.
Just listening to them everyday is bliss. ( if we have the time)
We can compile similar list of songs on Devi ( non-tamil)/
So also, the best of DKPattammal , Madurai Mani Iyer and Alatthoor.
Who needs new concerts?
0 x

kvchellappa

#1357 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by kvchellappa » 21 Nov 2017, 18:22

It was a great fortune that MS joined the Tamizh Isai movement and a great misfortune that MA and a few musicians opposed singing Tamizh songs. MA had to go to MS for the building fund. MS and TS showed all grace. MA ultimately had to see reason.
1 x

RSR

#1358 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by RSR » 21 Nov 2017, 21:27

Though it is better to post this in DKPattammal thread, I have in mind, very good kruthis rendered by her . 1) maamava pattabiraama 2) sujana jeebvana 3) rangapura vihaaraa 4) sangeetha gnyanamu 4) rama nannu brovara 5) munnu ravana 6) sri sathyanarayanam 7) bajare gopalam 8) vandanamu ragunandhana 9) janaki ramanaa 10) maamava maadhava 11)enthanerchina . and a few more.
0 x

kvchellappa

#1359 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by kvchellappa » 22 Nov 2017, 06:58

Should not post 1355 be under "Identification / translation requests" and 1358 elsewhere as RSR himself has said?
0 x

rshankar

#1360 Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by rshankar » 22 Nov 2017, 07:41

kvchellappa wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 06:58
Should not post 1355 be under "Identification / translation requests"
He has, and it’s been answered!
0 x