M.S. Subbulakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
cienu

Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi

Post by cienu »

A Ghatam's Story
Year: Nov 1975
Place: Singapore

My Grandmother Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi along with my Grandfather T Sadasivam, my mother and her sister Radha and Vijaya respectively and the team of brilliant musicians Kandadevi Sri Alagiriswamy, Guru Kaaraikudi Mani and Sri Vikku Vinayakram landed at the Paya Lebar Airport in Singapore.

As they waited for their luggage in the baggage area, in a corner someone spotted Vikku Vinayakram in tears.

His Ghatam had arrived in a broken condition due to mishandling by ground staff :(

Musicians fervently believe that their instruments are infused with "Jeeva" (Life) and the relationship with an instrument is more often than not deeply personal.

Added to this, was the fact that only a miracle could now ensure that Vikku Mama took the stage along with my grandmother and mother for the ensuing concert.

Unlike in present times, in those days it was next to impossible to find alternative instruments in a foreign land.

Nevertheless to the credit of the Singapore organisers they launched an immediate hunt for a Ghatam with the appropriate Sruti.

As providence would have it, just a few hours before the concert was to begin at Victoria Concert & Theatre Hall, someone mentioned that one Wilfred Douglas Anthony a Singaporean Tamil of Ceylonese Origin, a detective by profession, was a collector of Ghatams and a keen amateur Ghatam player himself !

Vikku Mama was taken to Sri Anthony's home and to the former' s delight a Ghatam with the exact Sruti was found.:) With the Ghatam now firmly in his hands, a delighted Vikku Mama rushed to the concert hall.

The Kutcheri was a fantastic success and the Taniavartanam brought the audience (blissfully unaware about the drama behind the scenes ;) ) to their feet !

After the concert Sri Anthony requested my Grandmother and my Grandfather and all the artists to sign on the Ghatam.

He said that as a tribute to the memory of this historic concert he would preserve this Ghatam carefully and would not use it henceforth for any other purpose.

The autographed Ghatam was respectfully placed in a glass case and carefully secured in the pooja room (altar) of Sri Anthony's home where it stayed safe and sound for many decades.

A few months before he shed his mortal coils, WIlfred Douglas Anthony handed over this precious gift to Sri Shankar Rajan, Principal of SIFAS Singapore for safekeeping in whose home it is now
safely ensconced. :)

PS: Prior to my daughter S.Aishwarya's concert at SIFAS Singapore on July 1st 2017, Sri Shankar Rajan told me this story and I am therefore extremely thankful to him. Further details have been corroborated by my mother Smt Radha Viswanathan.
Picture Credit : Sri Shankar Rajan.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

GREAT STORY CIENU: I am not surprised--Vikku's implacable faith in Paramacharya--like your Grandmother- is responsible for this turn of events.Likewise,in 1977 during the US tour MSAmma's concert in Washington D.C.- a couple of hours before the concert MSAMMA's voice turned hoarse(due to some changes in the weather,I guess) right unto her getting on stage.Once she invoked Paramacharya in her mind the hoarseness vanished and the concert was an astounding concert. Myself and Nirmala mami with a couple of. our friends. attended the concert.You can verify this with your Mother.

Such instances of unconditional Bhakthi should reinforce all our actions

RSR

Post by RSR »

Wonderful chronological sketch of the Life , Art and Awards , of Smt.M.S.Subbulakshmi with nice photos.
http://pedia.desibantu.com/m-s-subbulak ... hronology/
http://3rc5gc20wpdg1ns78q2pqq9fj6z.wpen ... 89x493.jpg

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

RSR wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 21:51 Wonderful chronological sketch of the Life , Art and Awards , of Smt.M.S.Subbulakshmi with nice photos.
http://pedia.desibantu.com/m-s-subbulak ... hronology/
http://3rc5gc20wpdg1ns78q2pqq9fj6z.wpen ... 89x493.jpg
What a great career for a fantastic lady and so well presented in the sketch...

kartheeksharma

Post by kartheeksharma »

Can anyone please post the lyrics of Rama bhaja gurunanak shabad by ms subbulakshmi
I'm searching on net but unable to find it.

RSR

Post by RSR »

I consider it a great misfortune that Smt.MS was dragged into the Thmizh Isai movement. just when her voice was absolutely divine ( 1940-1953(. Of course, she would have sung many traditional songs of the Trinity in concerts during those years but they are not available as 78 RPM records. . The plain truth is that we never had music composers of the stature , devotion and scholarship of the CM composers beginning from Purandaradasa , Sadasiva Brammendram, the Trinity and Swathi ThirunaaL... When ruminating over this, I have an imaginary concert in mind. of these songs. Learned rasikas can suggest re-arranging the order to fit into a typical concert. Roughly for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
1) Jagadhaanandahkaarakaa ( naattai)
2) koluvamaragate (todi)
3) kaliyugadali (chenchurutti)
4) daasanamaadiko ennae ( nadhanaamakriya)
5) naanege badavanu ( behag)
6) jagadhoddhaaranaa ( pilu)
7) brocheva evaruraa ( kamaj)
8) ennagaanu raamabajana ( panthuvaraali_
9) yadhuvamsa thilakane
10) vaasudeva kamaalasana ( telugu) ( chenjurutti)
11) dhinamani vamsa ( harikamboodhi)
12) rangapura vihaara
13) tulasi dhalam uchyathe
14) jagadisa nadanaamakriya
15) bruhi mukundeti
16) vaishnava janatho
==================================
These are all of Vaishavite theme.
Just listening to them everyday is bliss. ( if we have the time)
We can compile similar list of songs on Devi ( non-tamil)/
So also, the best of DKPattammal , Madurai Mani Iyer and Alatthoor.
Who needs new concerts?

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It was a great fortune that MS joined the Tamizh Isai movement and a great misfortune that MA and a few musicians opposed singing Tamizh songs. MA had to go to MS for the building fund. MS and TS showed all grace. MA ultimately had to see reason.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Though it is better to post this in DKPattammal thread, I have in mind, very good kruthis rendered by her . 1) maamava pattabiraama 2) sujana jeebvana 3) rangapura vihaaraa 4) sangeetha gnyanamu 4) rama nannu brovara 5) munnu ravana 6) sri sathyanarayanam 7) bajare gopalam 8) vandanamu ragunandhana 9) janaki ramanaa 10) maamava maadhava 11)enthanerchina . and a few more.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Should not post 1355 be under "Identification / translation requests" and 1358 elsewhere as RSR himself has said?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kvchellappa wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 06:58 Should not post 1355 be under "Identification / translation requests"
He has, and it’s been answered!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Something soothing to read after much mental turmoil:
(By a friend in a whatsup group)
"When I was working in LHO one day HR Manager called me and asked me whether I can go to MS ammas house ans invite her for a concert in LHO since he doesn't know much about music. I said I will do it and went to her house. She was such a simple lady and offered me sukku coffee.She agreed to come and give a concert. I had to again go to her house and bring her for the concert. Later on I took my niece Shobana to get blessings. She asked Shobana to sing and she blessed that she has a excellent voice and asked her to practise regularly so that she can become a big singer. On all the time she was very friendly. She was in a very simple 6 yds saree. Great person quite simple eventhough she is a big celebrity."

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From FB (It shows her versatility, not weakness):
Tribute to M.S.Subbulakshmi

Listen to the galaxy of genres that were part of the vast MS repertoire at this link :
https://blog.msstribute.org/ms-repertoire-range-genres/

Let us know if we have missed any genre.
1.Namavali
2. Adi Tala Varnam
3. Ata Tala Varnam
4. Abhang
5. Bhajan
6. Kavadi Chindu
7. Svarajathi
8. Pancharatnams composed by Thyagaraja
9. Devar Nama composed by Purandaradasa
10. Dadra
11. Shabad
12. Rabindra Sangeet
13. Tarangam composed by Narayana Teertha
14. Pasurams – verses written between 7th – 9th Century AD
15. Tevaram – verses written in 7th century AD
16. Viruttams
17. Sanskrit Slokas
18. Suprabhatam – Recordings
19. Kritis
20. Thillana
21. Ghazal
22. Thiruppugazh
23. Javali
24. Ragam Tanam Pallavi
25. Padam
26. MelaRagaMalika Chakra

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

On the eve of her death anniversary

MS departed 13 years ago. She lives though in the happy memories of those that hear(d) her and followed her.
She was human and had a right to live her life the way she did. The way she did has benefited thousands and thousands.
If she had confined herself only to carnatic music as an art and not as a medium to touch the lives of common people we would have been the poorer.
Sri TS chose, let us concede that, her career and chose that she should immortalize some of the devotional hymns. It was no doubt to reach a large audience, but not for money or fame, both of which did not affect MS in any way. The couple wanted the welfare of people and devotion was the route to peace and contentment in their assessment. They stuck to that.
As a nonentity who followed Kanchi Acharya, Rajaji, Kalki and MS, I find a common thread that runs through. Kanchi Acharya led his life as a penance for the spiritual upliftment, Rajaji for political upliftment and Kalki for literary upliftment. MS did it in the most striking manner through her music. If it was only the voice or gnanam of music, so many others would have done it. It was a deep concern for people that pervaded her life as we see from many anecdotes from a wide range of people. That concern easily flowed through the devotional music she has left behind. Most of those that hear her and remember her get solace deep within. Mere art music would not have achieved it. It is not for achievement, but for reaching the people for their good. All the four luminaries lived for that. Kanchi Acharya was a spiritual beacon and he had no worldly attachment. The other three lived a worldly life and are a role model for ordinary people engaged in worldly life. If Gita must be understood it can be ubderstood by reflecting on their lives. There would be flaws and missteps, but that is about life. They are not epic heroes, and the greatness of our epics is that heroes are portrayed with flaws.
That is the truth to my mind. I take that which is the core and beneficial.
The memory of MS will ever be associated with the human predicament and the Hindu way of redemption. There is everything to feel proud about it.

CRama

Post by CRama »

kvchellappa wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 09:00 From FB (It shows her versatility, not weakness):
Tribute to M.S.Subbulakshmi

Listen to the galaxy of genres that were part of the vast MS repertoire at this link :
https://blog.msstribute.org/ms-repertoire-range-genres/

Let us know if we have missed any genre.
Add the following
Film songs- They were no less classical.
Daru varnam
Malayalam verses- Radhamadhavam LP Record which no other Non Malayali singer can attempt.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Today Dec 11th is the 13th remembrance day of my Grandmother and is also the 83rd birthday of my mother Smt Radha Viswanathan.
No words are sufficient to describe the love and respect my mother had for her parents and also how she imbibed all the values they stood for both in art and life.
For the last year or so she is mostly confined to bed, still she manages to teach my children and fine tune their music, with her sharp ear catching even the slightest of variations. She always remained in the background and preferred it that way. I am attaching a picture of both of them on her birthday.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Cienu,
A beautiful picture. Namakarams and a very happy birthday to your mother. May she have many more joyful years.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Wonderful picture . Namaskaarams.. Praying the Almighty to grant Mrs.Radha Viswanathan, freedom from health problems and Long Life.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Sri RSR and Ravi
Please find below another picture
Taken on the occasion of the 13th Remembrance day of my Grandmother Bharat Ratna M.S.Subbulakshmi.
This was prior to the commencement of the concert of S.Aishwarya and S.Saundarya in Goa on Dec 11th 2017.
The artist who created this life size image of my Grand Mother is Mr Karnan of Vasan Arts Chennai

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Excellent!
For a while could not imagine. Kudos to Shri Karnan.
Thanjavooran
12 12 2017

RSR

Post by RSR »

@1368
Just Absolutely Fantastic! For a moment, thought that Smt.MS was here among us ,again!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Cienu: A belated birthday wishes for your Mom from myself and Nirmala Mami!!!

Radha is an epitome of obstacles and challenges surmounted and ignored!! A "never-die-spirit" always pervaded her.Neither the grandeur of the Kalki Garden life nor the physical suffering she is going thro would ever "dull" her spirit. As you know in our family ,to my late mother Radha was her first child--a bond forged in Calcutta in1941--when she was 6 years old and my mother "baby-sat" her during the Savithri shooting.I do not know if she remembers this incident:

One of the shooting days happened to be a sunday when Radha was with my mother and my sister and myself. That Sunday SEVSADHANAM was being screened in one of the Theaters in Calcutta. My mother had made advance booking(she had not seen the movie which was shot long before she got acquainted with your Grandmother!). The three of us in tow,my mother goes to the Theater and I believe in one scene the hero F.G. Natesa Iyer pushes MS Amma( I cannot recall this as I was too young!!).Radha starts crying that her Mom is being ill-treated and she cannot bear to see the movie thro and that she wants to be taken home to her mother. My mother the typical martinet she was quitens her down saying"we have paid hard money for this movie and we are not going home--no tactful diversionary tactic to calm Radha down but an iron fist. Radha had taken this scene to her heart that I am told once later after a couple of years when F.G. Natesa Iyer visited Kalki gardens Radha refused to see him apparently still holding the "grudge" against the ppor man and had to be coaxed into greeting him!
She had your Thatha's sense of humor but not his irascibility!!! After every concert would deftly guide MS Amma to the car literally "snaking" thro the throngs of admirers desperately trying to catch a word(thank God there were not so many photographers around --no "selfies"!!) acknowledging each and everyone of them and exchanging a witty remark--she was equally at home with a Lord Mountbatten and a commoner who had "trekked" miles in Tirunelveli to attend a family wedding kutcheri in Kallidaikurichi!!!
At Cleveland a couple of years back--when she was honored- we shared a few private moments at the Comfort Inn reminiscing about the old Hindi light songs like Ek Sahara Thera and Mainara Guniya. She stops and says to me How I wish I had been given an opportunity to give solo concerts instead of being labelled as a support artist. That was the FIRST time I ever heard her "rue" about anything!!I AM SO PLEASED THAT SHE IS THE DYNAMIC FORCE BEHIND AISHWARYA'S SINGING AND NOT LET THE OPPORTUNITY PASS BY AS IT HAPPENED TO HER.

In 1977 when she visted USA and stayed with us,she suprised all of us by giving a birthday gift to Nirmala Mamai for her birthday-- a dance Malai Pozhudinele with MS Amma and myself singing--I think the pic was put in this forum a couple of years back.

Despite her busy schedule and managing MS AMMa's needs, she would be one of the most dutiful daughter-in-law to your late (Paternal) Grandmother who was equally a good sport and particpate in family events with full gusto!!

PLEASE WISH HER ON MY BEHLF AND NIRMALA MAMI A BELATED BIRTHDAY AND GIVE HER A BIG "HUG" FROM BOTH OF US!!!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

RSR wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 14:15 I consider it a great misfortune that Smt.MS was dragged into the Thmizh Isai movement. just when her voice was absolutely divine ( 1940-1953(. Of course, she would have sung many traditional songs of the Trinity in concerts during those years but they are not available as 78 RPM records. . The plain truth is that we never had music composers of the stature , devotion and scholarship of the CM composers beginning from Purandaradasa , Sadasiva Brammendram, the Trinity and Swathi ThirunaaL... When ruminating over this, I have an imaginary concert in mind. of these songs. Learned rasikas can suggest re-arranging the order to fit into a typical concert. Roughly for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

<list snipped>
These are all of Vaishavite theme.

Just listening to them everyday is bliss. ( if we have the time)
We can compile similar list of songs on Devi ( non-tamil)/
So also, the best of DKPattammal , Madurai Mani Iyer and Alatthoor.
Who needs new concerts?
Interesting set of priorities you have!

RSR

Post by RSR »

@1372-> Yes. My approach to Carnatic music and its essential theme has been articulated clearly many times in these pages. And the songs selected are really blissful. Would have been heavenly if we could hear them in her younger years. Thank you.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Top 75 Carnatic Songs of M.S.S

00:00:05 - Vishnu Sahasranamam (Stotram)
00:29:50 - Vishnu Sahasranamam (Dhyanam)
00:36:29 - Sri Venkatesa Suprabhatham
0:56:50 - Sri Rangapura Vihara
01:02:55 - Sri Kamakshi Suprabhatham
01:15:06 - Kanakadharastavam
01:23:44 - Madhurashtakam
01:29:04 - Ganesa Pancharatnam
01:33:32 - Rameswaram Ramanatha Suprabhatam
01:54:09 - Kashi Viswanatha Suprabhatam
02:04:55 - Annapoornashtakam
02:14:16 - Sikshashtakam
02:20:45 - Lakshmi Ashthtothram
02:26:39 - Siva Panchakshara Stotram
02:29:28 - Sri Varalakshmi
02:35:11 - Sri Venkatesa Karavalamba - Stotram
02:41:28 - Srimannarayana
02:45:44 - Shri Lakshmi Narayan Stothram
02:50:58 - Mahalakshmi
02:57:46 - Govindashtakam
03:03:49 - Dvadasa Stotram
03:08:29 - Durga Pancharatnam
03:11:36 - Bhavayami Gopalabalam
03:16:08 - Sri Meenakshi Pancharatnam
03:19:28 - Hanuman Chalisha
03:29:07 - Nama Ramayana (Ragamalika)
03:40:21 - Deva Devam Bhaje (Raga Hindolam)
03:44:23 - Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma
03:47:21 - Thiruvenkatamudaiyaan (Sri Venkatesa Suprabhatam In Tamil)
04:08:50 - Brahma Kadigina Paadamu
04:13:06 - Nagumomu
04:21:25 - Dolayam
04:23:59 - Cheri Yasodaku Sisuvu
04:31:13 - Naanaati Bathuku
04:35:43 - Manujudai Putti
04:43:22 - Nee Irangayenil
04:48:04 - Kanbadeppo
04:59:09 - Bhavamulona
05:04:07 - Vathapi Ganapathim Bhajeham
05:11:07 - Vinayakar Agaval
05:18:51 - En Thai Nee Andro
05:25:36 - Karpaga Vinayaka
05:29:18 - Shankaracharyam (Live)
06:09:44 - Kannan Leelaigal
06:13:00 - Raghuvamsa Sudha
06:17:08 - Veenabheri
06:19:41 - Maiya Mori Main Nahin Makhan Khayo
06:25:27 - Tiruvey (Mathurambiga Pathigam)
06:32:42 - Brochevarevarura
06:41:05 - Sri Ranganatha Gadyam
06:47:21 - Bhajo Re Bhaiya
06:53:38 - Jagadodharana
06:59:46 - Sairama Chiluka
07:04:02 - Dasana Madiko
07:08:48 - Tu Dayal Deen Haun
07:14:15 - Ananda Ghano
07:18:41 - Aindu Karathanai
07:27:30 - Bhogindra Sayinam
07:31:03 - Malai Pozhuthinile
07:36:42 - Muruga Muruga
07:42:33 - Vande Vasudevam
07:50:26 - Yaad Avey Brindaban
07:55:07 - Oli Padaitha Kanninai
07:57:56 - Villinaiyotta Puruvam
08:01:07 - Mamava Pattabhirama
08:05:12 - Thavadasoham
08:09:16 - Petra Thai Thanai
08:15:41 - Palinthsu Kamakshi
08:28:18 - Kandu Kandu
08:33:30 - Thodukkum Kadavul
08:38:07 - Yadu Vamsa
08:43:05 - Entamatramu
08:47:33 - Okaparikokapari
09:01:28 - Adi Purusha - Sarvopayamula
09:08:53 - Kurai Onrum Illai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZDbqNIGWdc

RSR

Post by RSR »

@1374-> All the songs in this list are in her later years. They may be of interest to people who care only for the devotional aspect. and not much for the quality ( comparative..to her earlier recordings). Tragically, MOST of the early gems are covered by copyright and so you are not likely to find them in youtube. Parivadhini says that they have the concert recordings of Smt.MS from 1951 to 1966. It was in 1966 that she sang in UN. Sri.Rama will tell you the difference between the same song in a concert and in the film / gramaphone recording.
With all due reverence to a great soul, I would not care to listen to most of these slokams , despite being a theist. They have no musical value . Saregama has issued A FEW LP s 1) MS - OLD GEMS 2) Popular melodies of MS 3) IMMORTAL LEGENDS 4) NATIONAL INTEGRATION ..SONGS IN 11 LANGUAGES. 5) SAREGAMA have donated all the songs from Tamil and Hindi Meera film to tube. 6) Quite a few great songs from Sakunthalai also are available in tube. ( listen to the song in Naadhanamakriya). .. From 1936 to 1966, ( 20th year to 50th year in age). The Real MS is to be found in those decades. .Sri.V.Srinivasan has uploaded a few songs not covered by license issues. ( concert recordings). . How long can a vocal artiste maintain the quality of voice? Not beyond 60 anyway. 1976 will then be the cutoff year. She could have refrained from giving concerts and albums. after that.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

http://allindiaradio.gov.in/Oppurtuniti ... 0Final.pdf

See the songs that are with AIR. How can we request AIR to release them as commercial recordings or atleast broadcast. All they do is relay the same concert again and again.

M. S. SUBBULAKSHMI
N/A
Vocal Recital
Dhanyasi
Sangitajnanamu
Adi

M. S. SUBBULAKSHMI
N/A
Vocal Recital
Kambhoji
Ragam Tanam Pallavi
Chathusra Rupakam

M. S. SUBBULAKSHMI
Vocal Recital
Shanmukhapriya
Siddhivinayakam
Rupakam

M. S. SUBBULAKSHMI
Vocal Recital
Devagandhari
Karunasamudra
Adi

M. S. SUBBULAKSHMI
Vocal Recital
Ananda Bhairavi
Marivere gati
Misra Chapu

RSR

Post by RSR »

by Aditto » 23 Jan 2018, 07:15
http://allindiaradio.gov.in/Oppurtuniti ... 0Final.pdf

See the songs that are with AIR. How can we request AIR to release them as commercial recordings or atleast broadcast. All they do is relay the same concert again and again.
Thank you very much for the link to the pdf. Just now downloaded it and went through the list of hundreds of songs. Particularly, about a dozen songs from 1958 M.S.SUBBULAKSHMI concert. I am beginning to sort the rather random list by artist, year. and make it available in my site soon. There are many songs by ARIYAKKUDI RAMANUJA IYENGAR, D.K.PATTAMMAL, MADURAI MANI IYER, ALATHOOR BROTHRRS, M.L.VASANTHAKUMARI, MUSIRI. GNB. RADHA-JAYALAKSHMI, SEMMANGUDI....AND MANY MORE. Many of them from 1958 to 1968. If we pool our resources and represent the matter to the Prime Minister , AIR may place them in public domain. and in youtube. Let us try.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Tribute to MS with prefatory comments by Gowri Ramnarayan and soulful singing by Vijay Siva and team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zWY3eteS1Y

RSR

Post by RSR »

A wonderful article by Gowri Ramnarayan on Smt.MS...
http://www.india-seminar.com/2004/540/5 ... arayan.htm

RSR

Post by RSR »

May I have the link to the English translation of 'Sangeetha kalaanidhi award' acceptance speech by Smt.MSSubbulakshmi? ( if there is one).

RSR

Post by RSR »

Happy news here. The Hindi version of Meera of MS ( 1947) has not been available in youtube or any other media so far .Just now stumbled upon a very recent upload of the film in three parts. The parts here contain some wonderful songs like
1) maain hari charan ki dasi ( what is the ragam of this lovely song?)
2) hindi version of 'aranga un makimaiyai '
3) more tho giridhra gopaala
4) daras bina (desh, bagesree, and paraj) ( corresponding to udal urga ( poorvikalyani, sahana, and naadhanaamakriya in tamil film)
5) yaadh aave ( sindhubairavi) with a special refrain &reach
6) Kunjana vana chadi

and the climax song. .
.ORIGINAL -PART-2 https://youtu.be/3YbafdoYfz8
PART-3 https://youtu.be/puL8a5i9V4w
and with that Smt.MS bid farewell to film world , her mission accomplished.

RSR

Post by RSR »

https://archive.org/details/1967MsSubbu ... m-tkMurthy

1967 MS Subbulakshmi-VV Subrahmanyam-TK Murthy
by cpblog
Usage http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/
Topics 1967, Parvathi, MSS
This ia a concert performed in "Parvathi", Mysore in 1967 featuring MS Subbulakshmi, VV Subrahmanyam (Violin) and T.K. Murthy (Mridangam)
==================================================================
1 01-Eranapai-Todi - 06:51
2 02-Siddivinayakam-Shanmukhapriya - 09:32
3 03-Chalakalla-Arabhi - 16:33
4 04-Naradamuni-Pantuvarali - 14:58
5 05-Sogasuga-Sriranjani - 11:12
6 06-Kshreerasagara-Mayamalavagowla - 17:58
7 07-Brochevarevarura-Kamas - 11:31
8 08-Vodibarayya-Bhairavi - 19:56
9 09-Manasuloni-Suddhahindolam - 03:38
10 10-Srikamakotipeetha-Saveri - 13:12
11 11-Sarojadala-Shankarabharanam - 29:02
12 12-Ranganayakam-Nayaki - 10:31
13 13-Kaliyugadali-Chenchuruti - 05:59
14 14-mudi ondri moovulakangalum aandu ( periyaazhvaar paasuram) ( correction)
15 15-Adisidalu-Hindhusthanikapi - 07:02
16 16-Maithribhajatha-Yamankalyani - 03:07
17 17-Mangalam - 00:52
Last edited by RSR on 26 Feb 2018, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

RSR wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 21:53 https://archive.org/details/1967MsSubbu ... m-tkMurthy

1967 MS Subbulakshmi-VV Subrahmanyam-TK Murthy
by cpblog
Usage http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/
Topics 1967, Parvathi, MSS
This ia a concert performed in "Parvathi", Mysore in 1967 featuring MS Subbulakshmi, VV Subrahmanyam (Violin) and T.K. Murthy (Mridangam)
==================================================================
1 01-Eranapai-Todi - 06:51
2 02-Siddivinayakam-Shanmukhapriya - 09:32
3 03-Chalakalla-Arabhi - 16:33
4 04-Naradamuni-Pantuvarali - 14:58
5 05-Sogasuga-Sriranjani - 11:12
6 06-Kshreerasagara-Mayamalavagowla - 17:58
7 07-Brochevarevarura-Kamas - 11:31
8 08-Vodibarayya-Bhairavi - 19:56
9 09-Manasuloni-Suddhahindolam - 03:38
10 10-Srikamakotipeetha-Saveri - 13:12
11 11-Sarojadala-Shankarabharanam - 29:02
12 12-Ranganayakam-Nayaki - 10:31
13 13-Kaliyugadali-Chenchuruti - 05:59
14 14-Mudi onru muvulaga - Ragamalika - 03:59
15 15-Adisidalu-Hindhusthanikapi - 07:02
16 16-Maithribhajatha-Yamankalyani - 03:07
17 17-Mangalam - 00:52
what a beautiful song list this is. and the team (VVS / TKM).

CRama

Post by CRama »

RSR, Just saw the MS concert link. What a wonderful concert. More important, Sidhivinayakam, Chalakallladu, Odi Barayya not frequent numbers. Very much enjoyed the concert. Thanks to you. I take this opportunity to express my appreciation for the collating work you are doing for various musicians and indepth analysis of ragams etc.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Song No 14. If possible, pl rename as Mudi vonru-Ragamalika.

sankark

Post by sankark »

RSR wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 22:56 A wonderful article by Gowri Ramnarayan on Smt.MS...
http://www.india-seminar.com/2004/540/5 ... arayan.htm

From that article
For this reason he insisted on her giving predominance to bhava and bhakti in alapana, kriti and niraval, while minimising technical displays in pallavi rendition and kalpanaswara. Though M.S. had learnt pallavis from the old stalwart Mazhavarayanendal Subbarama Bhagavatar, she readily followed her husband’s instructions.
While this strategist designed the format and all the numbers from varnam to the lighter tukkadas, the combination of composers and languages, the main and ancillary ragas of the evening, he also allotted the duration for each individual piece
To flog a dead horse once more, final round by me :), these statements certainly make one pause and ask, what could have been, if NOT for this strategist. And TMK, for all his wonts and warts, is right to raise that question.

RSR

Post by RSR »

CRama » 26 Feb 2018, 19:03
RSR, Just saw the MS concert link. What a wonderful concert. More important, Sidhivinayakam, Chalakallladu, Odi Barayya not frequent numbers. Very much enjoyed the concert.
Respected Sir, I knew that you would love this concert. It is indeed special for quite a few reasons . Thank you very much. As this is a rare concert, it may be good to download all the songs and preserve them. We never know , if the link and the songs will be there ,how long. I have made the necessary correction. (item-14)

RSR

Post by RSR »

ram1999 wrote
what a beautiful song list this is. and the team (VVS / TKM).
Very happy that you like the concert. Thank you.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@1386-> sankarK-> I have collected and heard as many songs of Smt.MSS, from very early period ( uploads by APKoil NSapthagireesan) and from 1938 till she stopped singing. By following the guideline of her husband Sri.Sadasivanm,
she has earned an indelible place in the hearts of millions of Indians here and abroad. Rightly so. Her own acceptance speech in Music academy on the occasion of Sangeetha Kalanidhi Award testifies to that. . Without that orientation, she might have been famous still but in the league of Lata Mangeshkar. ( this is not to belittle Lata). i feel that HM classical world lost a treasure when Lata chose film music to concert music. A few video uploads of her rendering HM ragams is mesmerizing. TS - MS team had a tremendous continuity from 1936 onwards. for so many decades. She is the best judge. The topic is closed once and for all, so far as I am concerned. If only TMK had concentrated on his music alone !

sankark

Post by sankark »

CRama wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 19:03 RSR, Just saw the MS concert link. What a wonderful concert.
+1

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Certain venues add sheen to the music and the musicians. Parvathi, Mysore is one of them. Whatever concerts have been recorded at Parvathi, they are all special!

RSR

Post by RSR »

May I know if the acceptance speech by Smt.MSS, in MUSIC ACADEMY , on the occasion of Sangitha Kalaanidhi award for her ,is available in tamil script or in English translation?

RSR

Post by RSR »

Stumbled upon this rare writing by Sri.T.Sadasivam on Smt.M.S.Subbulakshmi ( in 1966).

"
These are some random jottings on the musical career of mywife M. S. Subbulakshmi which I thought I could share with close family friends. There is nothing new here, but looking back on the last twenty five years, I realized that her achievement as a musician has acquired dimensions,- almost embarrassing for me to describe., but worth taking note of. I feel a little self-conscious putting pen to paper on a subject-so close to me, but as I said, it is a record for close relatives and intimate friends who I feel sure,will forgive me for any minor indiscretions in it
.Kalki Buildings
T Sadasivam
--------------------------
This document is a moving tribute to the genius of Smt.MS by her husband, 'friend-philosopher-guide' Sri.T.Sadasivam.
https://www.scribd.com/document/60262896/MS-by-TS

Ramasubramanian M.K

Nice writing by TS Mama--typical of him. He was her #1 admirer. Once I was sitting next to him at a Marriage concert in Chennai.MSAMMa was singing Sarojadala Netri and in the neraval Sama Gana Vinodhini she was traversing the higher octaves with gusto and free-flowing imagination in the sweetest of voice--Mama was so muc turned on and uncharacteristic of him turns to me and says" look how she has immersed herself in the Music and how she touches our hearts--it should be said tht he has NEVER spoken to me about MSAMMa's music ever before-Normally some dignitary or VIP would be sitting next to him and he is used to turning around and expressing his admiration.
That he forgot who was sitting next to him--a musical pygmy--shows how spontaneous and straight from the heart he expressed himself about MSAMMa's music!!!

RSR

Post by RSR »

Ramasubramanian M.K » 04 Mar 2018, 23:58
Nice writing by TS Mama--typical of him. He was her #1 admirer.
Yes Sir. And the admiration was mutual and genuine and even Ideological
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need the Presidential address by Smt MS, in Music Academy on the occasion of Sangeetha Kalanidhi award to her.
You are the best person to get it for me ( and all of us in this forum). Please. ( either audi recording, or report in tamil or English translation> ) It SHOULD have been widely reported in the press in that year.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear RSR: I remember reading it in the Music Academy souvenir of 1968(amazing it was just 50 terms ago!! My late mother (who has stored every single memorabilia must have tucked this one away in our archives).We will have to dig deep into our archives. I shall try my best. Ofcourse I am sure our fellow forumite Cienu must have atleast the souvenir if not the recording. We will sound him about it although I suspect he is. busy after Aishwarya's wedding with a concert tour etc upcoming. An anecdote that is relevant to the year 1968.

My mother was involved in a bad car accident in October 1968 in Mumbai(a hit-and-run case). She was in traction totally immobilized. The Music Academy. announcement of MSAMMAs SK award was made a month earlier. My mother had made plans responding to the entreaties of MSAMMA. However the Doctor said the recuperation period would be very long and she may not be able to make it by December. MSAMMA and TS Mama visit Mumbai specially to see my mother. MSAMMA tells the young orthopedic who operated on my mother--come hell or high water he should speed her recuperation even if it required wheelchair and other paraphernalia!! The Doctor smiles politely and says that may not be possible. TS MAMA suddenly chirps in to the Doctor" OH! Please tell my wife that you will make it possible otherwise she may turn down the SK award because her #1 friend is not able to make it!!!. Ofcourse my mother did not recover till march 1969 and had to miss the SK award function!! Ofcourse in all these events there is a divine element. MSAMMA could not attend my marriage in 1964(much to my disappointment needless to say) owing to some surgery she had a couple of days before.As many of the forumites may have seen my wedding pictures posted by my son in the Forum 4 years back on our 50th wedding anniversary) MLV attended besides TSMAMMA,Radha and a "toddler" our fellow forumite CIENU!!! But MSAMMA sang for my children' wedding (son and daughter) in Chennai in 1995 and 1996(TS MAMA died in November 1997!!!(Despite the accident that dislocated my mother's hip and despite overwhelming evidence in the Medical arena that such a big trauma(my mother was 49 years old at that time) is likely to end up in severe arthritis of the hip at an early age. My mother died in 2014(46 years later!!!) and from 1977 thru 2004(when MSAMMA died) after my. parents moved to Chennai from Mumbai ,the two enjoyed the best friendship and reminiscences. GOD works miracles in HIS own inscrutable ways!!!

As an aside when I was recently in Chennai I was sorting thro the family archives (in response to. a request from. one of our fellow forumites for apiece of information pertaining to a death in MSAMM's family in the late forties, when lo and behold I came across a letter from MSAmma to my mother carrying the piece of information which I conveyed to our forumite.. Although I had been aware of the depth of love and understanding my mother and MSAMMA had, for each other I had not realized till I came across those letters(several of them cover the period 1941 thro 1950) what a great soul MSAMMA was and how caring she was for every member of our family as much as she was for members of her extended family. Unfortunately. some of the letters got damaged in storage and do not reproduce well

Likewise TS Mama used to write letters--not regularly though--from the time I came of age and the letters will be full of humor and insight/advice thrown in good measure!!! I will try to post one of the letters that he wrote to my son a couple of months before he died --he was 97. at that time!!!Unlike my mother unfortunately I am little bit tardy in my care and maintenance of memorabilia. So I will have to do little bit digging!!

RSR

Post by RSR »

Ramasubramanian M.K
I remember reading it in the Music Academy souvenir of 1968(amazing it was just 50 terms ago!! My late mother (who has stored every single memorabilia must have tucked this one away in our archives).We will have to dig deep into our archives. I shall try my best...... behold I came across a letter from MSAmma to my mother carrying the piece of information which I conveyed to our forumite.. Although I had been aware of the depth of love and understanding my mother and MSAMMA had, for each other I had not realized till I came across those letters(several of them cover the period 1941 thro 1950) what a great soul MSAMMA was and how caring she was for every member of our family as much as she was for members of her extended family. Unfortunately. some of the letters got damaged in storage and do not reproduce well
Respected Sir, That is wonderful. I am sure that you will be able to locate it and share with all us . . I had read about the plea of Smt.MS to the doctor to somehow arrange for the presence of your mother during the Music Academy function that year. .
Please do share the letters of Smt.MS with your mother. especially in those great years 1940-1950. So much happened in those ten years.

RSR

Post by RSR »

an excerpt
(Excerpts from the Presidential Address by MS at the Music Academy, Madras, 1968.)
http://shencottah.blogspot.in/2004/12/m ... i-004.html

...At a time like this when a woman is called upon to preside over this Conference, it is but natural that the memory of her mother should come before her mind's eye. In my case, my mother was not merely my mother - She was also my music teacher. What little knowledge of music I possess today, I owe, in the first instance, to my mother, the late Veena Shanmukhavadivu of Madurai. Before her, both as mother and music teacher, I prostrate and pray for her soul force to come to my aid...
...Next I remember with gratitude the late Sangita Vidwan Srinivas Iyengar of Madurai. It was he who commenced my music tuition in the traditional manner by breaking a coconut and taught me music upto the stage of Varnam. After that, as I was unable to go to a music teacher for advanced tutions, I continued to learn from my mother. In later years, I had the good fortune to learn from several great musicians. Among them I must mention Sri Musiri Subramania Iyer and Sri Semmangudi Sreenivasa Iyer. I acknowledge with gratitude the knowledge they are giving me even today. Considering them as Gurus, I salute them...
...The blessings and good wishes of several great musicians have contributed to my progress in the musical world...
...Bhakthi is nothing but the devotion that we show to the Divinity that resides within us. Once we regard the Divinity within us with devotional fervour, we are bound to develop the same affection towards everything outside...
...I request students of music to devote their attention to the acquisition of purity in voice and sruthi. To achieve this, it is essential that they should practise voice culture assiduously. One should not be content with possessing a sweet voice; in the manner in which land is ploughed to yield a good crop, the voice should be cultivated in order to get the best out of it...

RSR

Post by RSR »

SrinathK » 15 Jul 2016, 20:52
I stumbled upon this really old full length concert from 1955, offering a glimpse into what her music was in those years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I too am searching for MS concerts in the early years from 1950 to 1955.
Thank you for giving the links to the 1955 concert with songs list.
But , in the youtube comments on the first clip, there is the following remark.
May I know if the year is correct (1955)?
------------------------------------------------------------
Keshav Desiraju
7 months ago
Thank you very much for posting this. This concert is indeed from the Music Academy season but from 1962 and not 1955. And, in reply to the question , the violinist is Sri Tiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer.

RSR

Post by RSR »

swathi thiruNaaL, bavayami Raguramam ..ragamalika
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... raguraamam