Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
RaviSri

Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by RaviSri »

BMK's and Vedavalli's recording of the varALi Pancharatnam of Thyagaraja where they have intoned the G properly is available in youtube. Just google and find out. As for nATa I don't know of any recording that authentically protrays the nATa R.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

RaviSri wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 18:39 BMK's and Vedavalli's recording of the varALi Pancharatnam of Thyagaraja where they have intoned the G properly is available in youtube. Just google and find out. As for nATa I don't know of any recording that authentically protrays the nATa R.
Thank you so much for pointing it out for me !
Arikayudi used to sing nattai like this
https://youtu.be/lo-EFSHC3f8
is this what you were talking about ?

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A Maharajapuram joke (from http://www.maharajapuram.in/jokes.htm)

"...A sishya of Viswanatha iyer was singing in a marriage concert, where Viswanatha iyer was present. The sishya sang “Poorvikalyani” and came upto neraval “Mathurapuri Nilaye Mani Valaye” in the song “Meenakshimemudam” and did not budge an inch from the lines “Mani Valaye”. Viswanatha iyer read him correctly and asked the bride’s father to pay the agreed sum instantly so that he may proceed further in the concert.

“MANI VALAYE” – MEANING THAT “THE MONEY HAS NOT COME”..."

No wonder they're unprintable...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

ratanabhinav wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 21:32
Arikayudi used to sing nattai like this
https://youtu.be/lo-EFSHC3f8
is this what you were talking about ?
'Video unavailable'.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

An album of MVI, all 4 items are incredible. I had this as a cassette.

http://www.kosmikmusic.com/home/Detail/ ... collection

MVI's manodharma is just unbelievable when he's on form. I mean check out this aTHANA :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhp7NE-LHY

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Srinath,
I am assuming you must have listened the most famous full length concert of MVI and santhanam , 1956 concert the start of aabhogi varnam gives me goosebumps . Hear the energy and ferrari ride brigas for the first four numbers aabhogi(evari bodhana with maruva rapid fire swars), then siva siva enaradha and that uphill jagadanandakA (nattai) and ilalo (atanA).Real confidence Just refer thread #3 here , that recording is still there

All,
In general i think the advantage of two singers singing gives that distributed energy and extra punch . If you hear the few concerts of MVI ,MVI decides abruptly not to sing sahithya any time at his discretion , the cub maharajapuram santhanam holds the skipped sangathi and continues . After a round of recoup and rest MVI attacks and santhanam stays silent . This kind of duo worked well for MVI-Santhanam , Santhanam- Ramachandran , Semmangudi- TMT, GNB-TR Balasubramaniam, MMI-Vembu Iyer . The punch and rapid fire is possible only with extraordinary lung support from supporting vocalist . In today's world Trichur brothers bring that extra sheen, RagA (especially GAyathri is like santhanam and ranjani is like ramachandran of 1990s)

Not to put these celestial greats like SSI , MMI , GNB and MVI etc, their standalone quotient is even higher , but over the years i seem to have more fascination and awe for the standalone vocalist like TRS(Lord Hanuman vArisu) and of late a later era TNS and then this era with Suryaprakash,Abhishek ,Sanjay , TNS Krishna and even few female musicians who bring such unmatched speed and excellence with podi brigas especially in swaras,alapanas and neraval with freewheeling run . They are all standalone vocalist. Even my childhood first hero maharajapuram santhanam had enough voice rest till midpoint of the concert . There is one famous recording of santhanam-ramachandran where santhanam only sings mahaganapathim then ramachandran manasasmarami, in 1956 concert (post #3 in this topic)you hear MVI singing jagadA.... then santhanam nandakAragA .... in nattai . So much of voice rest for the main vocalist and he comes with power and more ideas, as such ideas need voice power . Singing Standalone Vocal is actually olympics whereas singing as duo is just asian games.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

rajeshnat wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 21:23 Srinath,
I am assuming you must have listened the most famous full length concert of MVI and santhanam , 1956 concert the start of aabhogi varnam gives me goosebumps . Hear the energy and ferrari ride brigas for the first four numbers aabhogi(evari bodhana with maruva rapid fire swars), then siva siva enaradha and that uphill jagadanandakA (nattai) and ilalo (atanA).Real confidence Just refer thread #3 here , that recording is still there
Yes. I have this concert. Considering what MVI could do on a good day with an old and recalcitrant voice, he must have been a force of nature in his prime. His raga essays are special for their organic rAga bhAva.
rajeshnat wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 21:23All,
In general i think the advantage of two singers singing gives that distributed energy and extra punch . If you hear the few concerts of MVI ,MVI decides abruptly not to sing sahithya any time at his discretion , the cub maharajapuram santhanam holds the skipped sangathi and continues . After a round of recoup and rest MVI attacks and santhanam stays silent . This kind of duo worked well for MVI-Santhanam , Santhanam- Ramachandran , Semmangudi- TMT, GNB-TR Balasubramaniam, MMI-Vembu Iyer . The punch and rapid fire is possible only with extraordinary lung support from supporting vocalist . In today's world Trichur brothers bring that extra sheen, RagA (especially GAyathri is like santhanam and ranjani is like ramachandran of 1990s)

Not to put these celestial greats like SSI , MMI , GNB and MVI etc, their standalone quotient is even higher , but over the years i seem to have more fascination and awe for the standalone vocalist like TRS(Lord Hanuman vArisu) and of late a later era TNS and then this era with Suryaprakash,Abhishek ,Sanjay , TNS Krishna and even few female musicians who bring such unmatched speed and excellence with podi brigas especially in swaras,alapanas and neraval with freewheeling run . They are all standalone vocalist. Even my childhood first hero maharajapuram santhanam had enough voice rest till midpoint of the concert . There is one famous recording of santhanam-ramachandran where santhanam only sings mahaganapathim then ramachandran manasasmarami, in 1956 concert (post #3 in this topic)you hear MVI singing jagadA.... then santhanam nandakAragA .... in nattai . So much of voice rest for the main vocalist and he comes with power and more ideas, as such ideas need voice power . Singing Standalone Vocal is actually olympics whereas singing as duo is just asian games.
Interesting. I confess I have not yet started listening to TRS seriously. Maharajapuram Santhanam was also the first vocalist I ever heard as a kid.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

RSR

Post by RSR »

https://youtu.be/1YRq4mvd9N4

Maharajapuram Viswanatha iyer
full concert
RTP in Mohanam
upload by kalidas
===================

RSR

Post by RSR »

in continuation of p-34
MVI was born in 1896
He would have been 63 years young then
when he gave this concert in 1959

---------------------
Song list provided by the uplosder
K.S.KALIDAS
--------
edited slightly to indicate the duration of each piece.

As Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer was very fond of Mohanam and famous for that raagam, this concert may be of interest as the RTP is in Mohanam.
-------
@ganesh.mourthy may be interested
----
said to be 1959 MUSIC ACADEMY CONCERT
========================

00:00:00 Varnam - Begada - Adi
30 mins
----
00:30:00 Siva Siva Siva - Pantuvarali - Adi
41 mins
-----
00:11:36 Orajupu - Kannadagowla - Adi
7 mins
------
00:18:23 Emitova - Saranga - Adi
4 mins
------
00:22:40 Maarubalka - Sriranjani - Adi
10 mins
------
00:32:30 Tsaalakalla - Arabhi - Adi
15 mins
-------
00:47:30 Evarunnaru - Malavasri - Adi
4 mins
--------
00:51:09 Ilalo Pranatarthi - Atana - Adi
10 mins
-------
01:01:25 Ksheenamai - Mukhari - Adi
17 mins
--------
01:18:20 Brochevarevarura - Kamas - Adi
12 mins
--------
01:30:13 Jagadanandakaraka - Nattai-Adi
10 mins
--------
01:40:40 Kana Kana Ruchi - Varali - Adi
21 mins
--------
02:01:28 Tatvameruga - Garudadhwani - Tisra Ekam
3 mins
--------
02:04:22 RTP - Mohanam - Adi - TANI
38 mins
--------
02:42:56 Hare Panduranga
3 mins
-------
02:45:09 Viruttam - Ragamalika
12 mins
--------
02:57:38 Kanda Guha
2 mins
--------
02:59:57 Neerajadala Nayana - Maand - Adi
2 mins
--------
03:01:58 Adi Neepai Marulu - Yamuna Kalyani - Adi
3 mins
---------
03:04:51 Krishna Nee Begane - Yamuna Kalyani - Misra Chapu
3 mins
--------
03:08:08 Tillana - Chenchurutti - Adi
3 mins
---------
03:11:24 Mangalam
=======================================

arasi

Post by arasi »

As always, thanks to Pasupathy. Besides treasures from tamizh writings, he brings along to us sangeetha sangathigaL, which he gleans from worthy magazines of old times. Here is a write up about Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer from the weekly SWADESA MITRAN, dated 23 December 1945.

SANGEETHA BHUPATHI'S GOLDEN JUBILEE

'pugai naDuvinil tI iruppadai bhUmiyil kaNDOmE'

The above quoted line from Bharathi's truth-laden song well describes the musical journey of Viswantaha Iyer. He is a shining star in the firmament of CM. It's best to describe his music as an aesthetic musical garden. By planting fragrant flowering plants in it and nourishing them with his imagination, he has become a front line musician of mark. One cannot forget that. Yet, rasikas are aware that his life went off track at some point and was obscured by a fog as it were. Though the lamp was somewhat dimmed, it did not fail to glow. It's glowing bright again!

MV's special gnyAnam and imaginative prowess cannot not be questioned. We optimists who believed in his resurgence made it a point to go to every one of his concerts in every possible venue. It didn't take long for him to prove us right.
In early January, his music flooded TiruvallikENi Parthasarathy Swamy Sabha hall. The hearts of rasikAs jumped up with joy. They couldn't contain themselves. While writing about that concert, this magazine strongly suggested the choice of MV for presiding over the Madras Music Academy's 19th conference this year-- adding that the title of Sangeetha Kalanidhi for him would be most appropriate. It also emphasized listeners' zeal over his music.
The time has arrived! Sangeetha Bhupathi Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer is going to preside over the Vidwat Sabha which convenes on the 22nd of December. The SK award will enhance his stature. Many do feel that he should have been awarded the title much earlier. Still, how apt it is that it's happening this year! When we get to be fifty or when institutions reach that year of establishment, we call it a golden jubilee year. That way, since MV now is fifty, this award is most fitting this year.

When this golden year blossoms into one of more fame for him, it's but apt for rasikas to know his biography:
MV was born in TirukkoDikkAval-Maharajapuram in Tanjore Dist, what's considered the cradle of CM. He was one of the children of Rama Iyer who was well-known for his ability to charm listeners with his lakshya sangItam.
The child was born on the 15th of September, 1896. Rama Iyer's other sons were Rajam, Vaidyanathan, Mahalingam, Krishnamurthy, along with three daughters. Though the father excelled in music and loved it, he didn't make it his profession. No wonder, the sons and daughters inherited his gift. Each and every one of them was gifted in music.
Viswanathan who had a crystal-clear voice, thirsted for more music when he was eighteen. Focusing on music with his innate gift, he was outstanding even at the age of thirteen.

Umayalpuram Swaminatha Iyer to this day is a beacon of music and is a living testament to music. MV started his gurukulam with him. It greatly helped his innate gift to learn from such a veteran in the field. The learning continued with ghaTam/vocal vidwan Rangapaiyer. Within two years, MV was concert-worthy. At the age of fifteen, his concert debut happened in KuDaivAsal near Kumbakonam.

MV has a flawless voice. He is a prime example for brighAs singing, his voice generating them like ceaseless sparklers
shining brilliantly and with such beauty. His voice can produce any kind of sangathis and piDis effortlessly. Thus, when his imagination takes flight, they emanate like lightening from him. Initially, he was singing at 4 or 4 1/2 kaTTai Sruti. it has come down in the course of years. Yet, how pleasing and filled with sukha bhAva it is!
Even when Konerirajapuram Vaitha, Ramnad PUchi Srinivasa Iyengar and Madurai Pushpavanam were all the shining stars, young Viswanathan glowed along with them in the forefront.

His voice has energy and strength to it. Not just seasoned listeners, but anyone interested in music is drawn to his singing . Similarly, he's attractive is his appearance. Just when you are taken unawares by his myriad imaginative forays,
his handsome face disperses varied facial expressions with the aid of his lively eyes. A mischievous smile plays on his face, always. In essence, all these are pleasing qualities in a singer. To challenge his accompanists pleases him no end. He is pleasant at all times, wherever you meet him. Noting all this, a film producer made him an offer to act as vEdiyar in the movie NandanAr. There were discussions among rasikAs about this. Was it a good move, they wondered. Still, once the film was released, their doubts were dispelled. Fans can't ever forget his singing 'pODA paRaiyA' in MOhanam and 'nARpadu vEli naTTAGavillai' in kEdAra gowLa.

His abounding expertise in music, an amazing crystal-clear Sruti-aligned voice-one which can 'speak' all that it wants to. With him, nothing stays the same with each concert: naDai, unbelievable manOdharma, on the spot spontaneity to suit the moment, unimaginable imagination which can engulf and enchant the listeners--these are the hallmarks of MV's music. For about thirty five years, SrimAn Viswanatha Iyer has been steeped in his singing while serving at the altar of CM.

A few years ago, seasoned listeners in Tanjore Jilla gathered together at Nannilam, headed by T. Chidambaram and Rangachari to confer upon him the title of Sangeetha Bhupathi.

Now, his presiding over the Madras Music Conference pleases vidwans and rasikas alike. We are confident that under his leadership the conference would help keep the quality in our music and also would encourage the growth of it.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks, Arasi , for the lovely translation.

Here's the original article for those interested.
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2021/09/1934-290.html

The author is ' Neelam' ( Neelamegam), the famous music critic. He was also an Assistant Editor in the magazine. He was a pioneer in many respects. He was responsible for publishing kritis of many vaggeyakara-s with Tamil meanings and notations in Sudesamithran.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi
Wow super . You have also put an image .Hmmmm. If you can edit the above lovely post with a whitespace line between lines , MVI will look as charming as his extraordinary mohanam. White space like between altar of CM and a few years ago.

His abounding expertise in music, an amazing crystal-clear Sruti-aligned voice-one which can 'speak' all that it wants to. With him, nothing stays the same with each concert: naDai, unbelievable manOdharma, on the spot spontaneity to suit the moment, unimaginable imagination which can engulf and enchant the listeners--these are the hallmarks of MV's music. For about thirty five years, SrimAn Viswanatha Iyer has been steeped in his singing while serving at the altar of CM.

A few years ago, seasoned listeners in Tanjore Jilla gathered together at Nannilam, headed by T. Chidambaram and Rangachari to confer upon him the title of Sangeetha Bhupathi.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nannilam is a suburb of tiruvarur . Infact within nannilam is a smaller hamlet called nalamangudi.My paternal grandfather roots are there, also musician like aruna sairam and also K Balachandar ,the ace director is from that village. Good to hear that this title sangeetha bhoopathi is given to him at that place.

Vishwanatha Iyer created 4 miracles ,semmangudi was partially his sishya. GNB and MMI had a heavy manaseega influence and ofcourse Santhanam.

MVI never gives any return space for ever with the violinist , his manodharma is so engulfing with ideas , he just wanted to sing with only lakshya gyanam.

Thank You Arasi with your lovely translation , keep it coming with edited whitespace, inclusive of the above post correction. I am assuming you are going to go to next vidwan/vidushi with your translations . Hope it turns out as interesting as Yadugiri ammal - bharathiyar slice.

RSR

Post by RSR »

ref-p-36
Welcome @arasi Madam...We all missed you. Fine , flowing translation.
May I request you to translate the article on VeeNa Shanmugavadivu ,Smt.MS 's mother, available in Dr.Pas's blog site?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Please see the son's thread to get more of a feel for the father's music and of course, the son's. I have translated an interview from an old issue of Kalki by Charukesi just now.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

arasi wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 22:32 Please see the son's thread to get more of a feel for the father's music and of course, the son's. I have translated an interview from an old issue of Kalki by Charukesi just now.
Arasi's translation can be seen at:
viewtopic.php?p=375115#p375115

arasi

Post by arasi »

What serendipity! I just found a super, one of those beautifully put together classy documentaries on the master on You Tube.Thanks to the benefactor who brought it along. It was from Door Darshan. Rajesh/others, could you please post it here?

I was swept away with a gandharvA's voice, virtuosity, fluidity and the unimaginable zest and zeal of a genius in the true sense unroll in front of me.
In my childhood, how he seemed so special to me, appealed to me, though I had no clue about his prowess!
Please watch it and be awash with such great music and montage. Subbudu has been a force in bringing it to the screen. The documentaries were works of art from my days and you see it here! And the temples!
The son and saha sishya (!) Semmangudi frame it all so well with their thoughts about him.

In Credits, I see in VOICE, TM Krishna's name. Does it mean he lent his voice for the young MV singing in the film?
Last edited by arasi on 22 Feb 2022, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Sangeetha Bhoopathi Vidwan Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer- A Documentary
https://youtu.be/EM0eL9JbEvI

RSR

Post by RSR »

Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer - Select 78 RPM Recordings

Nadabhrunga
==========================
https://youtu.be/dj9BKMsFE9w
-----------------------------------------------

Nadabhrunga takes great pleasure in sharing from the archives select 78 RPM Disc recordings of Sangita Kalanidhi Mahavidwan Sri Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer. These recordings were released in the 1930's and 1940's by Hutchins & Co., Madras. We invite our listeners to partake in the musical feast from a bygone era.
=================================

1. samaja vara gamana - hindo?a - adi - tyagaraja [00:00]
2. rara sita rama?i manohara - hindo?avasanta - rupakam - tyagaraja [03:25]
3. raghuvara nannu - kamavardhini - adi - tyagaraja [06:50]
4. ko?i nadulu dhanu?ko?ilo- to?i - adi - tyagaraja [10:11]
5. sundari ni divya rupamunu - kalya?i - adi - tyagaraja [13:35]
6. grahabalamemi - revagupti - adi - tyagaraja [20:14]
7. sita vara sa?gita jñanamu - devagandhari - adi - tyagaraja [23:35]
8. manasu svadhinamaina - sa?karabhara?a - misra capu - tyagaraja [26:58]
9. kaddanu variki kaddu - to?i - adi - tyagaraja [33:27]
10. paramukhamelara - suru??i - adi - tyagaraja [40:14]
======================================
11. kulam tarum celvam tandi?um (viruttam) - ragamalika - tiruma?gai a?var [46:46]
12. adanuriloru vediyar ku??e - jheñjhu??i - adi - Composer unknown [53:20]
13. tiruve en celvame (viruttam - selection from "ava?utu?ai tirutta??akam") - harikambhoji - appar [56:43]
14. k???a murare - kalya?i - adi - Composer unknown [01:00:08]
15. sa pasyat kausalya vi??um - jaunpuri - adi - pañcapakesa sastri [01:03:30]
===========================================