Pazhani Vijayalakshmi

Carnatic Musicians
venkatakailasam

Pazhani Vijayalakshmi

Post by venkatakailasam »

E SWARA 001 Pazhani Vijayalakshmi concert ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiJyoeDW-cM

Palani_Vijayalakshmi Jamshedpur 1973
Courtesy and credit to uploader R Ramachandran..
Song list....
01_InthaChala-Varnam-Begada
02_Vathapi-Hamsadhwani
03_Brovabharama-Bahudari
04_Amba Neeku Charanam
05_Marugelara-Jayanthasri
06_Karpakambike
07_Kadaikkannilagilum Parai
08_Bogindra Sayinam
09_Nagumomu
10_SaravanaBhava
11_Kanchadalayadakshi-KamalaManohari
12_Thamarai Poovil Iruppal-
13_Ninnai Sila Varangal-
14_Vande Mataram-Ragamalika
15_Aadum
16_Pullithanayan
17_Thanigai Malai
18_Karunajaladhe Dasarathe
19_Oruthi Maganai Pirandu-Tiruppavai
20_Azhagukku Ani Engal Murugan
21_NeriTheri
22_Mangalam

I will be grateful if anybody Shares her image and profile....

I find the voice is akin to that of MLV...??

arasi

Re: Pazhani Vijayalakshmi

Post by arasi »

You are so right. She reminds us of MLV, but when we were growing up, we merely thought, how lovely her singing was. I wonder if some of them are Guhan's (her uncle) songs. I remember her sweet face. She did sing for the movies. I'm sure there are pictures of her somewhere on the internet. Pasupathy and Pratyaksham bala are the ones who may be able to bring them. I would have mentioned you as another source, had you not been looking for one yourself!

venkatakailasam

arasi..

A couple of days back when I played this , my wife asked me whether it was MLV. So much of resemblance..

If some body provides the profile, It is most welcome..

I could get only what is posted ...at archive of indian music..

https://soundcloud.com/archive-of-india ... alaxmi-adi
and,

https://soundcloud.com/archive-of-india ... ayalakshmi

She had rendered Meenakshi Stotram - ( Palani Vijayalakshmi) also...I could not get it..

There is a mention in carnatic Music Darbar..."

" Palani Vijayalakshmi has rendered the Shadvithamargini kriti of Kotiswara Iyer beginning"Antharanga bhakthi". I guess she has done this as a gramophone record. During 1950-80, the AIR artistes (probably led by Veena Danapaani and flute Ganapathy) used to render vivadi kritis of Kotiswara Iyer under `vaadya goshti/vadyavrinda'"

arasi

Post by arasi »

I have mentioned it elsewhere, but composer Guhan (was beloved Radio Mama to us children at AIR) was her uncle. I was a regular then at the children's broadcast and have sung a few songs of his, penned for children. We loved the skits he wrote for us. He would even let us sing our own verses. Anyway, if memory serves me right, I remember Pazhani V as his niece.

Lakshman might help with the songs. I have a feeling he wrote keDu madiyALar tham koDumaigaL sahithAr, starting with the virutham line: karam chandra mOhana dAs gAndhi which DKP has recorded. I have a vague feeling it is on the reverse side of the 'so well known' Santhi nilava vENDum.

As for Pazhani V's voice, when she begins the concert outlining the rAgam before varNam, it sounded different to me (she was middle-aged by then), but how within a minute, I could hear that voice of hers again!

hpspost

Post by hpspost »

Hello,

She is my grandmother. I am really happy to see someone talk about her. Yes her voice resembles like MLV. Please email me at hpspost@yahoo.com if you need information about her.

Regards
Priya

venkatakailasam

priya madam..

If I remember correct, I have sent you a message to you FB account..May be I am mistaken...

I am sending you a message to your above mail..

vk

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

arasi wrote:I have mentioned it elsewhere, but composer Guhan (was beloved Radio Mama to us children at AIR) was her uncle. ... if memory serves me right, I remember Pazhani V as his niece.
Yes!
... ... “We are actually fanatics,” announced Kuppusamy (Shastri Nagar, Chennai) unabashedly. He is the nephew of poet ‘Guhan’ whose poems have been sung by a few vidwans in their kutcheris. Pazhani Vijayalakshmi, the yesteryear Carnatic singer was his sister, he added. “You have heard of Arya – or Bhashyam, the artist who painted the portrait of Tiruvalluvar? He is my uncle!” The brave Arya, who unfurled the tricolour at Fort St. George, climbing up the flag-post and removing the British flag during the thick of the freedom movement. “And you know the Tamil writer R. Choodamani, who recently passed away? She is my niece!” said Mrs. Kuppusamy... ..."
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 893835.ece

venkatakailasam

Priya Madam contacted me and has promised that she will upload

Meenakshi Stotram - and other songs shortly..

We can wait..

There is another thread here

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21638

venkatakailasam

Priyaji has now uploaded ..

Meenakshi Stothram & Annapoornashtagam by Palani Vijayalakshmi with an image of the artist..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmYDMKq ... e=youtu.be

mohan

Post by mohan »

Was listing to her concert on CarnaticRadio today and agree she sounded very much like MLV.

Who were her gurus? Does she have any prominent students? What era was she singing?

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Smt.Pazhani Vijayalakshmi's (PV) remembrance day was celebrated at the Vivekananda Hall, P.S. High School Mylapore, on 27th December 2017, conducted by Shri Kuppuswamy her brother and other family members including her daughter and grand children. The Bombay Sisters were the chief guests. Smt. Saroja (the elder sister of the duo), narrated several anectodes about their association with PV and her influence on their music. They also rendered a song of the late composer Shri Guhan, in the raga Suba Pantuvarali. Shri Kuppuswamy gave a brief biographical sketch about her, included her childhood, learning music from Pazhani Mahadeva Iyer and later she becoming the first disciple of the Late Dr.S.Ramanathan, when the later was staying at Pudukottai as a bachelor. PV got married in 1943 but was sadly widowed very soon. She did not give up music though, limiting her performance to some Sabha concerts, Temple and radio concerts. She continued her classes with Dr.SR almost till his end. She was also a Vainika besides being a Vocal musician. She taught several students while she was working with the Ramakrishna Mission Sharadha Vidyalaya as a music teacher. She learnt several composition of her uncle Late Shri Guhan and popularised them through Gramaphone records and Radio. Her rendition of the Annapoorna Ashtakam and Meenakshi Stotram were popular as Gramaphone records. The Annapoorna Ashtakam Gramaphone record was played every day at the famed Hotel Annapoorna at Coimbatore for several years as a part of their daily prayer!

PV had a voice similar to that of the great MLV, which had a natural Shruthi orientation leaving a lingering effect on the listener. Her Thiruppavai rendition along with the commentary of the late Shri Embar Vijayaraghavachariar was a regular feature in the AIR during 1950s. Though unfortunately widowed very early, PV lived a graceful life, bringing up her family to a respectable position, with music has her divine support. She lead a simple life and did not thrive for popularity though she was a highly meritorious musician of her own right. She passed away when she still had several years of musical life left, perhaps to sing for the almighty.

Her brother Shri.Pazhani Kumar, is a famed Mridanga Vidwan (a disciple of the great guru Shri.Kumbakonam Rajappa Iyer) who lives in the US.

Her great grandson gave a performance with Ethavunara (Kalyani) as the main song, as though to demonstrate that PV's family had music in their genes.

The program was arranged by Shri Chitti Venugopalan (a fanatic of Madurai Mani Iyer) and convened by Shri Kuppuswamy. Several songs of Smt. PV was played on the occassion, besides showcasing her rare photographs.

The bombay sisters attended the function till the end and blessed the young lad after his performance.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Smt.Pazhani Vijayalakshmi accompanied by Shri M.S.Gopalakrishnan on the Violin and Palghat Mahadevan on the Mridangam. The Tambura artist is Shri Pazhani Kumar (her brother and a mridangam vidwan living in the U.S.) - Photo Circa 1957