T.R. Subramaniam

Carnatic Musicians
abhimani

Re: T.R. Subramaniam

Post by abhimani »

Many thanks Vasanthakokilam for making me translate this tribute and a host of others who have come to know the various dimensions of this immense personality! I think I will receive a warm hug from TRS sir, when I reach "there". Thanks again!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There is a small snippet posted online of Nov 2013 sruthi magazine . I am quoting those below

COVER STORY
An adventurer and a reformer
R. Swaminathan

Almost every evening you could see him get down from the rear seat of a Tata Nano car, and walk with faltering steps as someone guided him to a front row seat at one of the concert venues in Chennai. The performance could be by an up-and-coming, little known or well-known musician. The old man could easily pass off as a pensioner spending the autumn of his life by treating himself to live classical music. This was vocalist-teacher-musicologist T.R. Subramanyam’s near-daily routine. His genial demeanour belied his reputation as an uncompromising upholder of the spirit of Carnatic music, acquired over the last six decades in the world of classical music.

To him the music afforded aesthetic pleasure through exploration of ragas, delight in rhythmic variations and joy at the literary efflorescence of the composers. His pursuit in music was wholesome and holistic.

Early years
Born into a large family in 1929, Subramanyam grew up in a middle-class home. His father Rajagopala Iyer, employed with Indian Mutual Life Insurance Ltd., was a music aficionado who invited musicians to his home wherever he was posted. He hosted the likes of Ariyakudi, Semmangudi and Madurai Mani who partook of the warm hospitality extended by his family. As the family moved wherever Rajagopala Iyer was posted, Subramanyam and his siblings were to be schooled in several towns like Mayavaram, Kumbakonam and Tirunelveli. At Mayavaram he was tutored by Sivarama Iyer, a disciple of Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar. Later at Tirunelveli his teachers were A.D. Rajagopala Iyer and Perungulam ‘Gavai’ Seetarama Bhagavatar. He and his elder sister Radha received music training at home. According to him, his sister – now 86 – was talented and had an enviable, melodic voice. TRS regrets that his sister’s music career did not take off after her marriage. An event from boyhood days of singing as narrated by him is indeed fascinating.

Click here to read more ...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Interesting to know that TRS mAmA has leant music staying at mayavaram,kumbakonam and then moving to Tirunelveli.He is also a second generation disciple of Poochi.

Does any one know anything more about sivarama iyer(tutor at mayavaram) and A.D. Rajagopala Iyer and Perungulam ‘Gavai’ Seetarama Bhagavatar(tutors at tirunelveli)???

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Hello All

Found this pic and wanted to share with you.

Thanks
T

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There is a lot of posts of immense value shared in the other thread of Prof TRS, just posting the url here so that we can refer again
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22046 .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
In general the threads in the topic of Board index ‹ Carnatic Music ‹ Music & Musicians of the past (which I prefer you call Obituary) has to say have a 90 day window and then you have to lock that thread . THat way all posts are not spread in both Music & Musicians of the past AND Vidwans/Vidushis/Vageyyakara . Please lock the obituary threads and let people post in vidwans and vidushis (TRS mama is there too ). Lalgudi Jayaraman has a giant thread and another two threads are there in obituaries. Please lock it in time after obituarires are done

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vidwan Mohan santhanam has written two lovely post of his guru and supernova Prof TRS. Keep it up Mohan very insightful :ymapplause: , there has been never a day where I dont think about Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam.

http://mohansanthanam.wordpress.com/201 ... nd-part-1/

http://mohansanthanam.wordpress.com/201 ... nd-part-2/

The part 2 is awesome. IF one of you recollect what is the pallavi phrase that TRS sang in the competition and post it here that would be great.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Those articles by Mohan Santhanam were truly awe inspiring - well drafted, very thoughtfully presented insights in to the life of TRS- the greatest teacher. Thank you Rajesh, for bringing these links to my notice.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote:Those articles by Mohan Santhanam were truly awe inspiring - well drafted, very thoughtfully presented insights in to the life of TRS- the greatest teacher.
greatest teacher and More Importantly atleast to many of us a Greatest Performer :ymapplause:

Was TRS ever accompanied by mrudangam greats like Palakkad Mani iyer or Pazhani subramania pillai or much later by UKS or Trichy Sankaran or vellore Ramabadran or palakkad Raghu or CS murugabhoopathy . Any insights from any one there.

Have any oldtimers seen/heard TRS + PMI/PSP/UKS/TS/VR/PR/CSM combinations , by any luck does any recording exist?
Most of his recordings are with Kamalakar Rao and a lesser extent Karaikudi mani/TKM/JV/Arunprakash/few delhi artists whose name slips me /Kr ganesh/Trichur mohan/Arunprakash is there?.

The very fact that TRS mama has not played (or may be very minimal)with such greats like PMI/PSP/UKS/TS/VR/PR/CSM but still giving that great effect is commendable(that itself makes me give few extra brownie points).

CRama

Post by CRama »

I have seen photo of UKS accompanying TRS and I have a concert accompanied by Vellore Ramabhadran. TRS-TRukmini-Kamalakar Rao was a highly successful combination for many decades.

I do not think any vidwan had any reservation in accompanying TRS. TRS being a laya oriented vidwan, mridangists will be very happy to accompany him. and he never made any test for any vidwan on the stage. He was the first to appreciate saha vidwans- however junior they may be.

I could be like this. When PMI/PSP/CSM were at the zenith of their career, TRS was a very junior vidwan and they prefered sharng the dais with their long term companions - SSI, GNB, MMI etc.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote:I have seen photo of UKS accompanying TRS and I have a concert accompanied by Vellore Ramabhadran. TRS-TRukmini-Kamalakar Rao was a highly successful combination for many decades.

I could be like this. When PMI/PSP/CSM were at the zenith of their career, TRS was a very junior vidwan and they prefered sharng the dais with their long term companions - SSI, GNB, MMI etc.
Let me know the songs of TRS - VR concerts , may be I did hear that without knowing that VR accompanied or if possible please upload again?

With respect to second point , TRS mama was born on 1931 . May be for PSP you may be right as psp expired in 1964(TRS mama was just 33 then). But PMI expired in 1980 and CSM expired in 1988 - TRS mama was 49 and 57 respectively , so there is a chance . when there is a famous recording of TNS-CSM , there can perhaps be a TRS-CSM/PMI too that some one in the internet is aware of?

How about Trichy sankaran - TRS combo , did that ever happen?

On a side note ,It is well known that for the sake of reaching more audience TRS mama purposely sang in afternoon concert in academy , that may have been a reason where in few top stars of the mentioned calibre would have skipped playing for trs mama as they had graduated to play in prime evening concert. But i dont know the scenario of other sabhas other than academy.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I donot know this saxophone / composer Prashant Radhakrishnan. But I thank him for this lovely tribute to Evergreen TRS mama
http://www.prasantmusic.com/blog/remembering-trs/

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Is there a recording of TRS with Lalgudi jayaraman . Even if there is no recording have any old timers heard this combo.

I am looking also to hear TRS with Trichy Sankaran or TRS with Vellore Ramabadran or TRS with Palakkad raghu ?

By any chance when TRS mama was young did TRS ever had a concert with PSP/PMI /CSM ?

vilomachapu

Post by vilomachapu »

I have heard TRS being accompanied by LGJ at KGS once. I have heard my father say that PMI has accompanied TRS. Among old time vidvans PMI has never accompanied only Balamurali Krishna.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I *think* I've downloaded these from Sangeethapriya ... one with TRS / Lalgudi, TRS / MC and one with TVG.

Prof T R Subramanyam - Vocal
Sri Lalgudi G Jayraman - Violin
Sri Karaikkudi R Mani - Mridangam

List:

01-Evarikai-Devamanohari-Adi-Tyagaraja.mp3
02-Idubhagya-Pantuvarali-Khandachapu-Purandaradasa.mp3
03-Aparna_parvati-Nalinakanti-Roopakam-Kalyani_Varadarajan.mp3
04-Korisevimpa-Kharaharapriya-Adi-Tyagaraja.mp3
05-Tani.mp3
06-Mohanam_Ragm_Tanam.mp3
07-Pallavi-Mohanam.mp3
08-Vanitaro-Anandabhairavi-Roopakam-Dasu_Sri_ramulu.mp3
09-Haridasulu-Yamunakalyani-Adi-Tyagraja_n_Mangalam.mp3

Duration: 02:15:30

Size: 124 MB

1.shri.TR_subrahmaNyam-vocal
2.shrimathi.T_rukmiNi-violin
3.shri.TV_gOpAlakriShNan-mrudhanga

Venue:Bombay
Date:1972

Courtesy:Dr.N_shankara_nArAyaN.

contents:
01-inthamOdi_sEya-varNa-sAranga-Adhi-thiruvettiyUr_thyA.mp3
02-vAthApi_gaNapathim-hamsaDhwani-Adhi-m_dhIkShithar.mp3
03-endharO_mahAnubhAvulu-shri-Adhi-thyAgarAja.mp3
04-rArA_phaNi_shayana-harikAmbOdhi-rUpaka-thyAgarAja.mp3
05-vAdErA_dhaivamu_manasA-kAmavarDhini-Adhi-thyAgarAja.mp3
06-nIkeppudu_dhaya-abhOgi-Adhi-mysUru_sadhAshiva_rAo.mp3
07-sakala_grahabala_nIne-aTANa-k_ChApu-purandhara_dhAsa.mp3
08-lakShaNamulu_gala-shuDhDha_sAvEri-Adhi-thyAgarAja.mp3
09-RTP-bhairavi-swara_rAgamAlike.mp3
10-suDhAmayi_suDhAniDhi-amrthavarShiNi-rUpaka-muththayya_bhAgavathar.mp3
11-shLOka-mohana-incomplete.mp3

T R Subramanyam - Vocal 1987 - Kottayam

Sri T R Subramanyam - Vocal
Sri M Chandrasekharan - Violin
Sri V Kamalakar Rao - Mridangam

List:

01-Varnam-Hamirkalyani.mp3
02-Raghunayaka-Hamsadhwani.mp3
03-Evarani-Devamrutavarshini.mp3
04-Apparamabhakti-Pantuvarali.mp3
05-Sriranjani_Ragam.mp3
06-Marubalka-Sriranjani.mp3
07-Tatvamerugatarama-Garudadhwani.mp3
08-Nidhichala_Sukhama-Kalyani.mp3
09-Tani.mp3
10-Shanmukhapriya_Ragam_Tanam.mp3
11-Pallavi-Shanmukhapriya-1.mp3
12-Pallavi-Shanmukhapriya-2.mp3
13-Padmanabhacharanayugam.mp3
14-Tillana-Desh.mp3
15-Mangalam.mp3

Duration: 03:23:40

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Oct 04th,2013 the greatest manodharmam flame of Carnatic Music Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam moved on from earth to heaven to join his favourite GNB, his guru Musiri, his friend LGJ and other galaxy of carnatic stars.

Just Few Random Recollections with rajesh and TRS mama
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I met him for the first time in a concert in chennai .He attended his disciple padma seshadri sisters concert@TNagar TTD devasthanam , then our rasikas concert of PB Srirangachari@nageswaran house, his lecture on status of telugu which cooolkarni arranged , to the days when we sat for many concerts like trichur brothers @ NGS Mini, suryaprakash (OVK concert)@PS High school . He and me enjoying his disciple's concert Deekshita Venkatraman when that young kid sang an apoorva GNB Main krithi in bhairavi in an all exclusive GNB Composition concert, in all those moments I was more of a "guppu chuppu" upapakkavadhyam morsing artist just listening and smiling with TRS mama.

then.....

A little more talk with him in NGS canteeen when I mentioned about my Delhi Periappa who is around his age who were friends in Delhi from 1960's till 1990's.His eyes sparkled with me from then On. I graduated from a "guppu chuppu" morsing artist to a little more communicative kanjira artist . I started to talk with him with both paying little more mutual attention . Once he, me and just few other rasikas enjoyed a rare Dr Radha venkatachalam (Rave)concert at his music education trust in that Parvathi art hall in eldams road . I forgot the song and asked Rave the revati ugabhooga forgetting the lines(Dr Rave is TRS disciple ). Then TRS mama helped me and asked Radha to sing Eley ManamE the revati ugabhooga .

Then a bit later ...

Then I started privately complaining with him on different sabhas , different artists and finally even trying to tell him Sir GNB is not just the greatest musician you are also one ,with he rubbishing it aside. This GNB tussle where he says to me GNB is the greatest musician and I politely tell Sir you are also as great as GNB atleast happened half a dozen times with me also telling SSI and MMI are the greatest - perhaps countering not just GNB my favourites MMI and SSI are right there.

Then a bit later ...

Once he dropped me near my house after a mylapore concert in his Yellow Tata Nano after his red maruti 800 after many years (which was my last private meet ) .TRS mAmA said he enjoys making it to mylapore daily(his house is in annanagar pretty far to come to concert daily-the only rasika who travels to mylapore and mambalam to hear concerts till the pavamAna mangalame) .I recollect he told so many good things about Cleveland Sundaram, Saraswati Vageyakkara NV Subramaniam and Safe Ramabadran (Particularly TRS mAma had immense respect and love for Cleveland Sundaram )

Then a bit later for the last time ....

I saw him in walking stick at a distance during abhishek - pallavi darbar in 2013. If I am right the day before on Oct 03rd his last concert was that of he attending Brinda Manickavasagam (Brinda if you are there in the forum can you confirm and tell us what he said after your concert and corrrect me if he attended your concert last on Oct 2 or 3,2013 before he passed away. I am just conjecturing now) .

Then Oct 04th ,2013 happened.I saw him at rest in his anna nagar residence a day later.

On TRS receiving only Sangeetha kalaAcharya and not Sangeetha kalanidhi
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seven or Eight years before jhalsik or someone with that id put some excerpts of his thesis in this forum .We all believe that TRS because of his thesis lost his SK award or so .May be you all dont know in 2002 ,academy has given TRS Mama Sangeetha KalA acharya why the hell is that instituation not given Sangeetha Kalanidhi when he lived from till 2013 when he was 84 years??.We talk in forum that MDR and Madurai Somu are not awarded , but they all died before 70. you cannot blame academy seriously for that. In my opinion they not giving TRS the award is really the worst decision more worst than somu,mdr etc(considering they have given to Bombay sisters and many kutti pasanga ponnunga after that till now).

Moving on today is Oct 04th,2016
-----------------------------
Little bit of Cmlover OR Rsachi like end to my post .The Vaayu PUtra -Lord AnjanEya was bit naughty in his early days but he had the most humility, Valour , courage and communication skills- he even had the charisma to be respected even by Lord Rama and Lord Sita . Our CM Vidwans and Vidushis of today need more AnjanEya balam and musical charisma relayed from TRS .

Just listen to TRS RTP in ranjani. While ranjani ragam is somewhat okay, but hear his spectacular taanam with mrudangam (from 13:45 onwards)and the pallavi neraval and that two ragamAliga swaras (especially the first one from where does he get so much of manOdharmam). Who is seshagiri rao the violinist that I still dont know (endharo MahanubhAvulu) with the motherly mrudangam suppport of Trichur Mohan (O dear Trichur Mohan you are simply fabulous).

Lord Anjaneya is very much there only with the evergreen Taala Raaga Swaroopan .

TRS-SeshagiriRao-TrichurMohan-MorsingPlayer??? Ranjani Pallavi- here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeFbxvLdMY

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thank you Rajesh, for sharing your thoughts about the Mahavidwan. Today, I am also constantly remembering about the various concert experiences I had of him. I have heard many of his concerts in TVM, Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata. Your thoughts kindled my thoughts.

Recording of this RTP Ranjani concert.

This RTP Ranjani concert happened in the Anjaneyar Temple in Mahalakshmi Lay out in Bangalore, some times in 1992/93. I think, it was Saturday or Sunday. When I saw in the newspaper about the concert, I made my travel plan. I was residing in Sanjay Nagar, Bangalore, not very far away from the location. And I was having an Yezdi bike of those days which used to take me to the farthest locations in Bangalore for hearing music concerts. There is a quarters of our staff in Nadini Lay out which is near Mahalakshmi Lay out. So myself and my wife (those days, occasionally I used to take my wife for music concerts- so that it will be an outing for her- not a musically oriented person she is) made a plan that we will go to Nandini Lay out to see a couple of friends and then go to the concert. I had taken my big AKAI Deck with me for recording. For TRS is one magnanimous person, who never objected to recording.

On this day, to my bad luck, I reached the venue just five minutes late. When I went, the concert has started and TRS was singing Smarajanaka subha charita as the first song which I very much wanted to record. But alas. It is mid way. I hurriedly went to the mike man, whispered him- give me a line out- I will pay you what ever you want. He was a good soul and obliged. Since it is not always that you will get to record from the amp, I wanted to take full advantage- already I had missed one song. So just when the first song was finished- I myself went up to the stage and gave a chit to TRS- KIndly sing Grahabhalamemi and Trilokamata. (Both the songs I did not have his recording at that time. One of my friends mentioned with awe TRS rendering of Trilokamata in TVM and the arresting swaras in Paras. ) Normally Grahabhalamemi he used to sing in the beginning of the concert and there is no use of requesting the song at a later stage. The Great vidwan and humane he was, he did not get disturbed because of my intrusion and happily acceded to my request by starting immediately Grahabhalamemi. So, this concert recording starts with Grahabhalamemi. Vedalanu Kodandapani is another gem that is sung as the main song in this concert. It is my recording which makes rounds among the rasikas.

Being Anjaneya temple, TRS most appropriately sang a pallavi in praise of Anjaneya in Ranjani- Hanumate Bhagavate Namaste. Rajesh, I do not find any shortcoming in the alapana of Ranjani. The tanam as you have told is electric. RM swaras in Kanada- he used to sing in all concerts- a very enjoyable sojourn always.

While returning I had to come via the Yeshvanthpur Bridge which was much confusing for me those days, and in pitch dark of night, with wife along with me, I went upto Peenya instead of coming to Mekhri circle – that is another story.

Today in Arkay, his Remembrance Day function is being organised by Delhi Muthukumar. PSN and TNS will be paying tributes to TRS followed by a concert of TNS. I propose to attend.

varsha

Post by varsha »

May God Bless you CRama !!!!!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In that clip from CRama, is the mRdangam vidvAn the father of the Trichur Brothers?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar wrote:In that clip from CRama, is the mRdangam vidvAn the father of the Trichur Brothers?
The Ranjani RTP that I put as per CRama has been recorded by him in bangalore . Trichur Mohan plays mrudangam , He is the disciple of Palghat Mani , UKS and Karaikudi mani . Trichur Mohan is the father of Trichur Brothers.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Dear Shri. CRama, you don't know what a great favor you have done to me! I must have listened to this concert 100s of times. Thank you for making this concert alive forever!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TRS - 4 years post Oct 04th,2013
---------------------------------
I went to Prof TRS home to pass last respects on October 05th,2013 after he passed away on October 04th,2013. I asked his sister what does TR stand for in his name TRS. She told Tiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam. When she told that the phrase T stands for tiruvidaimarudhur , it just immediately gave me a spark O my god TRS mama name starts with Tiruvidaimarudhur .It is the same place where Flute Mali was born. Tiruvidaimarudhur is a hamlet in between Kumbakonam and mayavaram . TRS mama was a born musician from tiruvidaimarudhur . I still donot know where TRS was born as only the first initial stands for tiruvidaimarudhur? Can some one tell me that , may be it was tiruvidaimarudhur.

Mahavidwan TRS moved from that hamlet Tiruvidaimarudhur(also getting tutored in bigger towns like mayavaram & kumbakonam) area to Tirunelveli . What can I say atleast when I grew up and even now I believe that those who are from tirunelveli have an extra intellect. I have seen myself - few friends from my college / school belt who are very brainy and the reason is always they are from trinelveli. These kind of groupings associating with places is no more logical in todays world but it is just there where few believe .

What can I say the born musician(tiruvidaimarudhur) became an intellect musician(Tirunelveli).

Mahavidwan TRS moved from Tirunelveli to vijayawada. WHile the whole galaxy of musicians sang mainly in Madras/partly bangalore/ partly trivandrum and went to tiruvayaru to pay yearly respects to flagship vageyakkarA sadhguru Thyagaraja . mahavidwan TRS thought let me first get sadguru Thyagaraja right and concentrate atleast primarily in the flagship language telugu . With that focus he was mistaken as andhra(telugu native) musician .In vijayawada he began to think deep.

May be i can say the born musician (tiruvidaimarudhur) transformed from intellect musician (tirunelveli) to be a deep thinking musician (vijayawada)

Mahavidwan TRS moved from vijayawada to Delhi. All the musicians did mainly go to Delhi to receive an award like padmashree , natak academy etc and possibly head to few sabhas like RK Puram malai mandir , Mayurvihar samajam etc. TRS mAmA became a really good CM Loksabha leader . He felt I am just one spoke in the hub , let me genuinely help in all ways all fellow established musicians , upcoming aspirants , he even partly sacrificed his own musical career for the larger good of carnatic music - a true and a rare cm-parliamentarian at delhi.The dogma of which is bigger is it carnatic music or carnatic musician must have hit him very hard but he took a right choice and became a righteous musician in welcoming so many musicians of all sizes to perform in delhi.

May be I can say the born (tiruvidaimarudhur), intellect (tirunelveli), deep thinking(vijayawada) became a righteous musician(Delhi)

Finally Mahavidwan TRS settled in madras . He enjoyed every bit of music from every vidwan and vidushis. He even at his old age carried the banner Music Education Trust and encouraged talent . Many concerts he has only sat in the first 10 rows all alone ,I have seen and heard him getting so attracted even to the last nee nAMA roopamulaku krithi and then he speaks few encouraging words to artists and then only leaves.Remember he came all the way from anna nagar - cintamani area(his residence) to mylapore/ mambalam that is a long distance. The real love for a carnatic musician is tested when he/she stops performing, and how they drop the deep rooted resentment that comes especially with madras. TRS dropped all of that he inspired the next 1 or 2 generations of musicians and at times even played the dual role of an inspiring musician and a role model rasika.

May be I can say the born (tiruvidaimarudhur), intellect (tirunelveli), deep thinking (vijayawada),righteous (Delhi) musician tranformed to a dual role of an inspiring musician and a role model rasika (chennai)

Finally few things have struck me- not to stir controversy
--------------------------------------------------------
# Year 1994/1995 was the controversy year where TRS mama wrote the thesis . Jhalsik(an id here) gave snippets of the thesis , i downloaded it and did not find anything wrong . My Delhi Periappa who was a close friend of TRS in Delhi thought it was not proper for him to collaborate and write that thesis . I and my periappa have vehemently disagreed , because I still think he had the guts to write on what he wrote and there is a high degree of truth. When you stear a whole gamut of problem statement you are just bound to hurt here and there few people- the price of speaking the inconveniant truth

# I googled to find that In Year 2002 Music Academy awarded Sangeetha Kala Acharya to TRS. If the thesis is so wrong , then why should the esteemed academy award sangeetha kala acharya to TRS after seven years in 2002 post his thesis. They should give him nothing right .For arguments sake SKA sets a more worse precedent as it is given for a teacher and his teaching thesis should have backfired only his teaching career award(sangeetha kala acharya) and should not have cannibalized his musical career award (sangeetha kalanidhi). In year 2002 Sangeetha kala acharya was given for TRS and Sangeetha kalanidhi was given for Sikkil Sisters. I have no qualms on Sikkil Sisters but TRS was like DKJ , Santhanam , LGJ,nedanuri , TNK etc . LGJ refused is what we all heard but I am sure TRS would not have refused SK.mahavidwan TRS did not have enough clout to push towards SK.

# In my humble opinion bit later in Year 2010 instead of giving to another musiri disciple Bombay Sisters they should have given to finest musical disciple of musiri -TRS . I am not even sure after listening to bombay sisters if they are of the calliber to even get SK, i feel i need an intermediate silencer to listen to bombay sisters. But I may be wrong there as Bombay sisters may have a lot of music which i have not heard - I will give them a benefit of doubt. May be They should have given TRS 2010 SK . Some great musicians like palakkad raghu got it late it is ok as long it is given it is wonderful . Possibly years 2013 , 2015 or 2017 the SK could have been given to Bombay Sisters .

Thank you TiruvidaiMarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam - your stock mrudangist Kamalakar Rao used to call you Taaala Raaga Swaroopan. As I told must number of times to TRS mama, I can repeat again one more time - neenga summa summa gnb is a great musiciannnu sollindE irukkadingO you are also a great musician.

Hear the immortal TR Subramanyam(Born 20 September 1929 - Died 04 October 2013) singing a composition dedicating to Lord Subramanyam

Kanda Bhaktha Cinthamani (N,S)- dharmavati - Koteeswara Iyer
neraval in dharmavati umaiyAl tanda maindA for 7 mins
swaras for 7 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xQ0IQ95Y4
Thank you Prakash Rao Narayanan for the upload of a vidwan whose house is near chintamani bus stop.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

---

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh, Thank you for posting the reminiscences about TRS on this day- the day he left us four years back. We miss him a lot. But his music - plenty of them are available with us. On October 10th, his Remembrance day is going to be held in Arkay Hall with a violin concert by Smt T.Rukmini who paired with him in innumerable concerts.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 07:17 --------------------------------------------------------
# Year 1994/1995 was the controversy year where TRS mama wrote the thesis . Jhalsik(an id here) gave snippets of the thesis , i downloaded it and did not find anything wrong . My Delhi Periappa who was a close friend of TRS in Delhi thought it was not proper for him to collaborate and write that thesis . I and my periappa have vehemently disagreed , because I still think he had the guts to write on what he wrote and there is a high degree of truth. When you stear a whole gamut of problem statement you are just bound to hurt here and there few people- the price of speaking the inconveniant truth
Is there an ecopy of this thesis or if you have it can you please send it to me? Thanks.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MaheshS wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 14:04
rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 07:17 --------------------------------------------------------
Is there an ecopy of this thesis or if you have it can you please send it to me? Thanks.
MaheshS,
I have it downloaded , this was first shared by jhnlasik in the below thread . Give me this week end i will share it

All
If you have a chance read this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4215

Way back in 2007, Coolkarni and few of us organized a series of concerts and this was the first lecdem where the immortal TRS mama spoke . Just read the above thread , with vgv commentary , then view points of cmlover , sangeeth rasik, ramaraj sir who is also vaggeyakkara,sbala,vijay and of course many more who are still active with our forum(arasi and team) have put their lovely thoughts.
The lecdem topic is 'Status of Telugu as a language employed in CM'

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 12:40 Rajesh, Thank you for posting the reminiscences about TRS on this day- the day he left us four years back. We miss him a lot. But his music - plenty of them are available with us. On October 10th, his Remembrance day is going to be held in Arkay Hall with a violin concert by Smt T.Rukmini who paired with him in innumerable concerts.
Crama,
I am not sure if plenty of music of trs is actually available is factually right. I am for the past 10 to 12 years have heard thru grapevine that dalachina vaaru in dhanyasi is one song that TRS has taken to himalayan heights . The recording is somewhere there .I recollect few years back i asked you in forum you said you dont have it. May be some one who has that can share the dalachina vaaru of taala raaga swaroopan.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 15:01
MaheshS,
I have it downloaded , this was first shared by jhnlasik in the below thread . Give me this week end i will share it
Many thanks, either post it here or do contact me via email.

kvjayan

Post by kvjayan »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 15:01
MaheshS,

All
If you have a chance read this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4215

Way back in 2007, Coolkarni and few of us organized a series of concerts and this was the first lecdem where the immortal TRS mama spoke . Just read the above thread , with vgv commentary , then view points of cmlover , sangeeth rasik, ramaraj sir who is also vaggeyakkara,sbala,vijay and of course many more who are still active with our forum(arasi and team) have put their lovely thoughts.
The lecdem topic is 'Status of Telugu as a language employed in CM'
I think TRS sir was the guide and the student-author of the thesis was Smt. Radha Venkatachalam. Of course, the complaint of the anti-TRS group (led by the late editor of SRUTI magazine) was that TRS passed off his own views on many great Carnatic musicians in the guise of thesis (entitled EPOCH MAKERS) written by his student. SRUTI carried on the propaganda against TRS for quite a long time, until there was nothing more left and was somewhat contended that TRS (who was in Delhi at that time) was orstracised, at least, for a while.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

jhnlasik posted this on Dec 2007 wrote:
in 1987 , Prof. TRS and his student Smt.Radha Venkatachalam made the following report card after analyzing many of the yesteryear musicians. I like to see similar report on the present day artists.

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/sGAq ... D%3D922037

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/AmOe ... D%3D894606

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/QbdW ... D%3D328521

===========================================

When this was given by Jhnlasik , I downloaded the 3 pdf .

I am not sure if the writeup is exhaustive , it may be abriged .

Also I traced lot of magazines inclusive of sruthi and tried to read more about the thesis of TRS - Radha Venkatachalam. I did not get any thing more than these 3 pdf . Few letters to the editor about this article many slam dunking TRS and very very few appreciating TRS and Rave . Most of the writeups concludes saying that - i wish he did not write that way he would have still got the coveted award.

I am without a doubt in the camp of appreciating Prof TRS and Dr RAVE, there is no slander in writing about say personal lives etc which was such a big taboo with those artists. TRS and Rave attacked excess sensationalism , zero objectivity and pure hearsay which is still there in CM .

Just may be , Dr Rave could have written few not so good things about Prof TRS Music. I am sure I can list atleast few things , but she failed to do that , she put TRS mama in such a high pedestal - these kind of big writeups should have an extremely balanced conclusion.

OR

It is just that Rave wrote every thing inclusive of TRS mama shortcomings. But as such that was not published is some thing that I have in my mind for the last few years . Some times abridged writeups just like partially using our quote in our forum will always miscommunicate.

As such Prof TRS and DR Rave had GUTS . PERIOD . There is lot of truth in what all has been written in the pdf .
Download the writeup in the below link.

http://bit.ly/2xrnmbz
Last edited by rajeshnat on 08 Oct 2017, 20:29, edited 3 times in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MaheshS and others
I hope you can click the above link and download the zip. The zip has 3 pdf , i am not sure the source of this article . wrote a small readme just as disclaimer so that they know they are only reading part of the thesis. THe 3 pdf is bit hazy , I recommend you can zoom a bit and take print out if you are really finding it difficult to read . Also it is tricky to read as it is column wise print of content.

When you read it first time , you feel O god on some artists and vageyakkaras he is right . Also on some artists whom you adore you may feel the thesis is not right and you may feel How can this be true for so and so ?? .

When you read it second time , you may find what was written is not that bad at all . May be there is an element of truth that you didnot know yet?

Possibly if some one publishes the original manuscript we all will be happy , for sure Prof TRS and Dr Rave are great mahanubhavulus. Period. Hoping to read the entire manuscript some time soon...

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

It so happened when I heard about the capabilities of TRS, his knowledge and his generosity as a teacher (a friend of mine learnt from him as well and would tell me how enthusiastic and dedicated he was even at that age), and was trying to find recordings of his music that I found out about this infamous thesis incident, courtesy google, the all knowing guru of modern mankind.

I even read quite a few excerpts of it, if you can call that a "Ph.D thesis" - which started somewhere from the trinity to composers and vidwans and musicologists and instrumentalists and all that was contemporary at the time) -- in my honest opinion, it was a mish mash of below average forum posts, youtube comments and a collage of random condescending gossip, hearsay, the occasional hyperbole or the pat on the back, with maybe a fact here or there that was already open knowledge anyway, at times open trolling, and some misgivings and some genuine observations that have been expressed by others in better tones. There was even a separate section taking cheap shots at the music of the great ladies...

And if you're thinking of "music criticism", the truth is that nothing and nobody is beyond it, but even criticism has standards. This was not a counter to hagiography. Some excerpts were so cringe-worthy it made me think of what would happen if faking news or the onion wrote about Carnatic Music :lol:. Some of the most condescending posts on this forum have been outdone by that draft in that regard...

Yeah, I was reminded of this :- http://www.fakingnews.firstpost.com/sni ... hone-23181 -- that's the level of satire I'm talking about, in a manuscript intended for a doctoral dissertation....

But this is the part I didn't like -- you take something like this, that wasn't even published and which should have been dispatched to the "vambu" bin right away and turned to smoke -- you bring it out in the open, pass equally sarcastic criticisms on it, use this to ruin the reputation and careers of two musicians by creating a scandal -- this is very poor journalism. There was definitely an agenda there for sure. Otherwise all this would have just come and gone off the radar. Why raid the garbage bin?

If anything, the moral of the story is never to wash dirty linen in public, and never allow flammable material to be put in writing, and never willingly fan an ember into a forest fire. Don't do trolling in the name of research. And always dispose off the trash thoroughly.

I hope I never have to discuss this incident again -- it makes me sad to think about it - a brilliant musician like TRS ending up being known for this. IMHO, All these opinions and satires that belong indoors firmly between one's two ears should have never come out in the first place. I mean, many books have been written about CM musicians where their pluses and minuses have been made known, but this thesis was trolling it. Those things ought to be left to the tigers and the porcines and sheep and trolls and all other species of anonymous rasikas, and that stinks enough already. :twisted:

There is so much about TRS mama's music I have admired -- his knowledge, diction, laya and pallavi expertise. It is now a dream of mine that will never be realized of learning pallavi singing from him. I only regret that I did not meet him (and so many others) when he was alive. Anyway, a nice RTP to take my mind of this is very much the need of the hour....

varsha

Post by varsha »

Anyway, a nice RTP to take my mind of this is very much the need of the hour
I settled for this
https://archive.org/details/TRS-TR-KM-M ... ndaraDAsar
:roll:

varsha

Post by varsha »

The tragedy - like with Anna Karenina as Tolstoy put it - was that there was never a doubt about the "Crime".
Only that the Punishment was disproportionate .
And meted out by a scurrilous guy who himself hid behind a whispering screen cheered by a whispering gallery .
https://archive.org/details/TRSParAkuMA ... ndaraDAsar
nararolage pAmararu "nAvu" .....

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 19:23 MaheshS and others
I hope you can click the above link and download the zip. The zip has 3 pdf , i am not sure the source of this article . wrote a small readme just as disclaimer so that they know they are only reading part of the thesis. THe 3 pdf is bit hazy , I recommend you can zoom a bit and take print out if you are really finding it difficult to read . Also it is tricky to read as it is column wise print of content.
Thank you! Read it :/

Now I am going to listen to Purvi Kalyani :)

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Is mAnava janma in mishra naDai? What tala and eduppu? (That mishra naDai is handled like child's play...)

shanks

Post by shanks »

Here is a unique kalyani by TRS

https://archive.org/details/TRSConcert72

The taanam and pallavi are quite unusual and intriguing.

The pallavi was composed by one of his students at Delhi - may be a year or two ago, Sruti had an issue on TRS in which there was a piece about how he encouraged/challenged his students to compose pallavis and if my memory serves right, this specific pallavi was quoted in that article.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

The Hall of Fame "1-2-3-4 Pallavi Lec-Dem" of TRS shall stand out as a testimony to the genius of the man. Pallavis have never been demystified better, for the layman and the connoisseur alike.

One can clearly see what a great guru he has been. Its one thing to have the vidwath, but totally another thing to pass it down so beautifully to the students! GOD Bless, the likes of TRS/ DKJ etc...

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Is there a recording of that?

varsha

Post by varsha »

Is there a recording of that?
---
how time flies !! A decade ago we christened this track as the 1234 demo.
And it lives on....
https://archive.org/details/trs--pallavi-1-2-3-4

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The below post was made by Swami , the original poster is from facebook and thanks to Priya Sisters for throwing so much pointers about Prof Mahavidwan TRS

Post by Swami » 30 Dec 2017 17:50

hello sir,

below I took it from their Fans page. Please find the consolidated

Simply no words to describe the amazing lecture demonstration today on Prof. T.R. Subramanian's pallavis by Priya Sisters.
Within the short time they had, they covered Prof. TRS' pallavis based on:

1) gopucha yati
2) srotovaha yati in the purvangam
3) srotovaha yati in both the purvangam and uttarangam
4) mridanga yati
5) sama yati
6) multiple yatis in the same line
7) raga mudra
8) raga tala mudra
9) trikalam in the same line
10) svaraksharam
11) puns
12) different kalams (speeds) in the same line
13) jatis/solkattus
14) vishama arudi
15) dwiragams
16) existing sahitya lines
17) composers

They shared a lot of interesting ideas on how to do neraval for these, how to put kalpana swarams etc.
They ended the session with a pallavi in the raga gAnamurti composed by them as a tribute to Prof. TRS.
They had requested TRS mama for one in this raga but he passed away unexpectedly before he could revert to them.
They also sang a similar one in the raga chandrajoti.

A list of Pallavi's of their Guru Prof TRS presented and explained by Priya Sisters. It's almost impossible to write all what they explained but a small effort to atleast list the pallavis. What a fantastic presentation by the Sister's. We hope we have many more such wonderful lecture demonstration's by them, giving rasikas an insight to the wonderful compositions of their Guru Prof TRS.

1. Pallavi in Hindolam " Muruganai Guhanai Ninai Nee Maal Maraganai Sharavananai " [Gopucha Yati]

2. In Poorvikalyani " Maa Umaa Vinumaa Brovumaa Maayammaa Maatanga Kanya Maravaku ][Shrotovaha Yati]

3. In Reetigowla " Velavaa Yennai Aalavaa Enkurai Teerkavaa Murugaa Shanmugaa" [Complete Shrotovaha Yati]

4. In Poorvikalyani "Paarvati Parameshwari Chamundeshwari Parvata Kumari Haranaayaki" [Mrudanga Yati]

5. In Poorvikalyani "Aadi Sankaram Ati Dayaakaram Aarsha Guruvaram Aham Bhaje Aharnisham Aacharyam" [Sama Yati]

6.In Todi "Sharavananai Muruganai Guhanai Ninai Nidam Padame Tudisheyvaai Nee Arule Perave Tiru" [All Yati's - Gopucha , Shrotovaha , Sama]
------------------------------------------------------------
Next Raaga Mudra Pallavi's

7. In Hamsadhwani "Hamsadhwani Sahite Dhwani Sahite Sahite Hite Te Namaste"

8. In Charukeshi " Suhasihi Agha Naashini Chaarukeshini Sundari Paradevata Parashiva Mohini"

9. " Ranjani Niranjani Bhavabhanjani Sadaa Paahimaam Maarajanai Mahaalakshmi Haripriye"

10. In Bindumaalini " Enduko Neekrupa Raadu Bindumaalini Maa Talli"

11. In Shanmukharpiya " Sharanu Vaibhave Shamale Shive Shanmukhapriye Shankari Vashankari Shivashankari"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pallavi's having Taala Mudra.

12. Pallavi in Kalyani having Raaga Taala (Roopaka) Mudra "Kalyani Mamukaavumu Kamaneeya Roopakalyani Roopa Kalyani"

13. Pallavi in Hamsadhwani having Taala (Adi) Mudra " Karam Shubhakaram Mohana Karam Bhajeham Aadi Devam Ahibhushanam"
----------------------------------------------------------------
14. Trikaala Pallavi " Dasaratha Tanayuni Maravaku Manasa Dinamu Kshanamu"

15. Trikaala Pallavi "Triyambakanai Maheshwaranai Sadaashivane Maname Dinamu Tudishai"
----------------------------------------------------------------
Swaraakshara Pallavi's

16. "Sa Ri Ga Ma Pa Da Ni Sa Paadega Saamagaanamruta Saaramagu"

17. " Sammanamaa Sabhapathe Sadaashiva Sakala Daivamu Unaku Sari "
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Raagamalika

18. In Kharaharapriya "Velai Panivade Nam Velai Adi Kaalai Avan Kaalai Vadi"
And change over to Bowli at '......Adi Kaali Avan kaalai....
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pallavi Line in different Speeds
19. In Poorvikalyani " Meenakshi Me mudam Dehi Sadaa Paradevi Parashiva Jaaye Marakatamani Chaaye"

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Pallavi's involving Jatis

20. " Tattadhimi Tatadhimi Tadhimi Anisadaa Shivudu Bahuchakkaga Natanamu Aadevu"

21. "Dhitai Dhi Dhi tai Yendradu Daivame Tai "
Dwi Raaga Pallavi

22. In Vasanta and Mohana "Ellapaudu Vasanta Rutuve Mohana Krishnuni Dayayunte"
Pallavi Based in Jaavali

23. "Vega Todi Teve Saamini YelarAdAyane Kaamini"
24. Pallavi in Nayaki " Rangapathe Paahimaam Ranganaayaki Sameta Sri"

25. Pallavi on Saint Tyagaraja and Saint Annamacharya "Tyagayya Annamayya Bhagavatotamulu ???"
Priya Sister's concluded with a Pallavi in Gaanamurthey
A pallavi in tribute to their Guru Prof TRS composed by them.
"Guru Murthey Sangeetha Spurthey Gandharva Gaanamurthey Akhanda Keerthe Subramanya"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Some of the above Pallavis are demonstrated by the great man himself, in his 1-2-3-4 Lec-Dem recording. The Genius of the man lives on!
What a vidhwan!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jmoMivUew

Please don't miss the mInakshi mEmudam towards the end. He enjoys kARvai in each syllable, produces music with syllabic intervals alone, nothing else. The svara, sounds , just dripping paint for him!

Smt. T. Rukmini such a support.

Sri Kamalakar Rao - what a confident gait and surety in his playing!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

2 weeks back when i wrote a review of Abhishek crt, I asked a question as to who else sings the below krithi as I heard for the first time :

sadAshiva bhajanamE - todi - papanasam sivan

One friend/accquintance sent me a personal note that Taala Raaga Swaroopan (TRS )has sung this. I have not heard the sadashiva bhajanamE of papanasam sivan sung by TRS. Any pointers from any one preferably recording link ? Crama- have you heard this krithi from TRS

CRama

Post by CRama »

I have never heard this Thodi song of Papanasam Sivan from TRS.

sathreya

Post by sathreya »

Hi

I am no longer able to find this 1973 concert of Shri TRS

https://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.co ... rough.html

The gajavadana beduve and the Paramadbhuta Maina are imprinted in my mind, and I would love to be able to access it again.

If I am not mistaken, Sachi was kind enough to get us access to these recordings from Parvathi, so if he could please oblige, id be much grateful.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Am at it. Hope I can find the tracks.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Happy Vinayaka Chaturthi!

Sathreya and all,
The tracks are working!
Please note you need to access the site and embedded audio files via a browser that supports flash
Take care

CRama

Post by CRama »

Heard the above concert. Brilliant. Thanks Sachi.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

🙏