T.R. Subramaniam

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Re: T.R. Subramaniam

Post by rajeshnat »

MaheshS wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 14:04
rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 07:17 --------------------------------------------------------
# Year 1994/1995 was the controversy year where TRS mama wrote the thesis . Jhalsik(an id here) gave snippets of the thesis , i downloaded it and did not find anything wrong . My Delhi Periappa who was a close friend of TRS in Delhi thought it was not proper for him to collaborate and write that thesis . I and my periappa have vehemently disagreed , because I still think he had the guts to write on what he wrote and there is a high degree of truth. When you stear a whole gamut of problem statement you are just bound to hurt here and there few people- the price of speaking the inconveniant truth
Is there an ecopy of this thesis or if you have it can you please send it to me? Thanks.
MaheshS,
I have it downloaded , this was first shared by jhnlasik in the below thread . Give me this week end i will share it

All
If you have a chance read this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4215

Way back in 2007, Coolkarni and few of us organized a series of concerts and this was the first lecdem where the immortal TRS mama spoke . Just read the above thread , with vgv commentary , then view points of cmlover , sangeeth rasik, ramaraj sir who is also vaggeyakkara,sbala,vijay and of course many more who are still active with our forum(arasi and team) have put their lovely thoughts.
The lecdem topic is 'Status of Telugu as a language employed in CM'

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 12:40 Rajesh, Thank you for posting the reminiscences about TRS on this day- the day he left us four years back. We miss him a lot. But his music - plenty of them are available with us. On October 10th, his Remembrance day is going to be held in Arkay Hall with a violin concert by Smt T.Rukmini who paired with him in innumerable concerts.
Crama,
I am not sure if plenty of music of trs is actually available is factually right. I am for the past 10 to 12 years have heard thru grapevine that dalachina vaaru in dhanyasi is one song that TRS has taken to himalayan heights . The recording is somewhere there .I recollect few years back i asked you in forum you said you dont have it. May be some one who has that can share the dalachina vaaru of taala raaga swaroopan.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 15:01
rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 07:17 --------------------------------------------------------
# Year 1994/1995 was the controversy year where TRS mama wrote the thesis . Jhalsik(an id here) gave snippets of the thesis , i downloaded it and did not find anything wrong . My Delhi Periappa who was a close friend of TRS in Delhi thought it was not proper for him to collaborate and write that thesis . I and my periappa have vehemently disagreed , because I still think he had the guts to write on what he wrote and there is a high degree of truth. When you stear a whole gamut of problem statement you are just bound to hurt here and there few people- the price of speaking the inconveniant truth
Is there an ecopy of this thesis or if you have it can you please send it to me? Thanks.
MaheshS,
I have it downloaded , this was first shared by jhnlasik in the below thread . Give me this week end i will share it
Many thanks, either post it here or do contact me via email.

kvjayan

Post by kvjayan »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 15:01
MaheshS,

All
If you have a chance read this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4215

Way back in 2007, Coolkarni and few of us organized a series of concerts and this was the first lecdem where the immortal TRS mama spoke . Just read the above thread , with vgv commentary , then view points of cmlover , sangeeth rasik, ramaraj sir who is also vaggeyakkara,sbala,vijay and of course many more who are still active with our forum(arasi and team) have put their lovely thoughts.
The lecdem topic is 'Status of Telugu as a language employed in CM'
I think TRS sir was the guide and the student-author of the thesis was Smt. Radha Venkatachalam. Of course, the complaint of the anti-TRS group (led by the late editor of SRUTI magazine) was that TRS passed off his own views on many great Carnatic musicians in the guise of thesis (entitled EPOCH MAKERS) written by his student. SRUTI carried on the propaganda against TRS for quite a long time, until there was nothing more left and was somewhat contended that TRS (who was in Delhi at that time) was orstracised, at least, for a while.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

jhnlasik posted this on Dec 2007 wrote:
in 1987 , Prof. TRS and his student Smt.Radha Venkatachalam made the following report card after analyzing many of the yesteryear musicians. I like to see similar report on the present day artists.

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/sGAq ... D%3D922037

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/AmOe ... D%3D894606

http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/QbdW ... D%3D328521

===========================================

When this was given by Jhnlasik , I downloaded the 3 pdf .

I am not sure if the writeup is exhaustive , it may be abriged .

Also I traced lot of magazines inclusive of sruthi and tried to read more about the thesis of TRS - Radha Venkatachalam. I did not get any thing more than these 3 pdf . Few letters to the editor about this article many slam dunking TRS and very very few appreciating TRS and Rave . Most of the writeups concludes saying that - i wish he did not write that way he would have still got the coveted award.

I am without a doubt in the camp of appreciating Prof TRS and Dr RAVE, there is no slander in writing about say personal lives etc which was such a big taboo with those artists. TRS and Rave attacked excess sensationalism , zero objectivity and pure hearsay which is still there in CM .

Just may be , Dr Rave could have written few not so good things about Prof TRS Music. I am sure I can list atleast few things , but she failed to do that , she put TRS mama in such a high pedestal - these kind of big writeups should have an extremely balanced conclusion.

OR

It is just that Rave wrote every thing inclusive of TRS mama shortcomings. But as such that was not published is some thing that I have in my mind for the last few years . Some times abridged writeups just like partially using our quote in our forum will always miscommunicate.

As such Prof TRS and DR Rave had GUTS . PERIOD . There is lot of truth in what all has been written in the pdf .
Download the writeup in the below link.

http://bit.ly/2xrnmbz
Last edited by rajeshnat on 08 Oct 2017, 20:29, edited 3 times in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MaheshS and others
I hope you can click the above link and download the zip. The zip has 3 pdf , i am not sure the source of this article . wrote a small readme just as disclaimer so that they know they are only reading part of the thesis. THe 3 pdf is bit hazy , I recommend you can zoom a bit and take print out if you are really finding it difficult to read . Also it is tricky to read as it is column wise print of content.

When you read it first time , you feel O god on some artists and vageyakkaras he is right . Also on some artists whom you adore you may feel the thesis is not right and you may feel How can this be true for so and so ?? .

When you read it second time , you may find what was written is not that bad at all . May be there is an element of truth that you didnot know yet?

Possibly if some one publishes the original manuscript we all will be happy , for sure Prof TRS and Dr Rave are great mahanubhavulus. Period. Hoping to read the entire manuscript some time soon...

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

It so happened when I heard about the capabilities of TRS, his knowledge and his generosity as a teacher (a friend of mine learnt from him as well and would tell me how enthusiastic and dedicated he was even at that age), and was trying to find recordings of his music that I found out about this infamous thesis incident, courtesy google, the all knowing guru of modern mankind.

I even read quite a few excerpts of it, if you can call that a "Ph.D thesis" - which started somewhere from the trinity to composers and vidwans and musicologists and instrumentalists and all that was contemporary at the time) -- in my honest opinion, it was a mish mash of below average forum posts, youtube comments and a collage of random condescending gossip, hearsay, the occasional hyperbole or the pat on the back, with maybe a fact here or there that was already open knowledge anyway, at times open trolling, and some misgivings and some genuine observations that have been expressed by others in better tones. There was even a separate section taking cheap shots at the music of the great ladies...

And if you're thinking of "music criticism", the truth is that nothing and nobody is beyond it, but even criticism has standards. This was not a counter to hagiography. Some excerpts were so cringe-worthy it made me think of what would happen if faking news or the onion wrote about Carnatic Music :lol:. Some of the most condescending posts on this forum have been outdone by that draft in that regard...

Yeah, I was reminded of this :- http://www.fakingnews.firstpost.com/sni ... hone-23181 -- that's the level of satire I'm talking about, in a manuscript intended for a doctoral dissertation....

But this is the part I didn't like -- you take something like this, that wasn't even published and which should have been dispatched to the "vambu" bin right away and turned to smoke -- you bring it out in the open, pass equally sarcastic criticisms on it, use this to ruin the reputation and careers of two musicians by creating a scandal -- this is very poor journalism. There was definitely an agenda there for sure. Otherwise all this would have just come and gone off the radar. Why raid the garbage bin?

If anything, the moral of the story is never to wash dirty linen in public, and never allow flammable material to be put in writing, and never willingly fan an ember into a forest fire. Don't do trolling in the name of research. And always dispose off the trash thoroughly.

I hope I never have to discuss this incident again -- it makes me sad to think about it - a brilliant musician like TRS ending up being known for this. IMHO, All these opinions and satires that belong indoors firmly between one's two ears should have never come out in the first place. I mean, many books have been written about CM musicians where their pluses and minuses have been made known, but this thesis was trolling it. Those things ought to be left to the tigers and the porcines and sheep and trolls and all other species of anonymous rasikas, and that stinks enough already. :twisted:

There is so much about TRS mama's music I have admired -- his knowledge, diction, laya and pallavi expertise. It is now a dream of mine that will never be realized of learning pallavi singing from him. I only regret that I did not meet him (and so many others) when he was alive. Anyway, a nice RTP to take my mind of this is very much the need of the hour....

varsha

Post by varsha »

Anyway, a nice RTP to take my mind of this is very much the need of the hour
I settled for this
https://archive.org/details/TRS-TR-KM-M ... ndaraDAsar
:roll:

varsha

Post by varsha »

The tragedy - like with Anna Karenina as Tolstoy put it - was that there was never a doubt about the "Crime".
Only that the Punishment was disproportionate .
And meted out by a scurrilous guy who himself hid behind a whispering screen cheered by a whispering gallery .
https://archive.org/details/TRSParAkuMA ... ndaraDAsar
nararolage pAmararu "nAvu" .....

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 19:23 MaheshS and others
I hope you can click the above link and download the zip. The zip has 3 pdf , i am not sure the source of this article . wrote a small readme just as disclaimer so that they know they are only reading part of the thesis. THe 3 pdf is bit hazy , I recommend you can zoom a bit and take print out if you are really finding it difficult to read . Also it is tricky to read as it is column wise print of content.
Thank you! Read it :/

Now I am going to listen to Purvi Kalyani :)

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Is mAnava janma in mishra naDai? What tala and eduppu? (That mishra naDai is handled like child's play...)

shanks

Post by shanks »

Here is a unique kalyani by TRS

https://archive.org/details/TRSConcert72

The taanam and pallavi are quite unusual and intriguing.

The pallavi was composed by one of his students at Delhi - may be a year or two ago, Sruti had an issue on TRS in which there was a piece about how he encouraged/challenged his students to compose pallavis and if my memory serves right, this specific pallavi was quoted in that article.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

The Hall of Fame "1-2-3-4 Pallavi Lec-Dem" of TRS shall stand out as a testimony to the genius of the man. Pallavis have never been demystified better, for the layman and the connoisseur alike.

One can clearly see what a great guru he has been. Its one thing to have the vidwath, but totally another thing to pass it down so beautifully to the students! GOD Bless, the likes of TRS/ DKJ etc...

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Is there a recording of that?

varsha

Post by varsha »

Is there a recording of that?
---
how time flies !! A decade ago we christened this track as the 1234 demo.
And it lives on....
https://archive.org/details/trs--pallavi-1-2-3-4

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The below post was made by Swami , the original poster is from facebook and thanks to Priya Sisters for throwing so much pointers about Prof Mahavidwan TRS

Post by Swami » 30 Dec 2017 17:50

hello sir,

below I took it from their Fans page. Please find the consolidated

Simply no words to describe the amazing lecture demonstration today on Prof. T.R. Subramanian's pallavis by Priya Sisters.
Within the short time they had, they covered Prof. TRS' pallavis based on:

1) gopucha yati
2) srotovaha yati in the purvangam
3) srotovaha yati in both the purvangam and uttarangam
4) mridanga yati
5) sama yati
6) multiple yatis in the same line
7) raga mudra
8) raga tala mudra
9) trikalam in the same line
10) svaraksharam
11) puns
12) different kalams (speeds) in the same line
13) jatis/solkattus
14) vishama arudi
15) dwiragams
16) existing sahitya lines
17) composers

They shared a lot of interesting ideas on how to do neraval for these, how to put kalpana swarams etc.
They ended the session with a pallavi in the raga gAnamurti composed by them as a tribute to Prof. TRS.
They had requested TRS mama for one in this raga but he passed away unexpectedly before he could revert to them.
They also sang a similar one in the raga chandrajoti.

A list of Pallavi's of their Guru Prof TRS presented and explained by Priya Sisters. It's almost impossible to write all what they explained but a small effort to atleast list the pallavis. What a fantastic presentation by the Sister's. We hope we have many more such wonderful lecture demonstration's by them, giving rasikas an insight to the wonderful compositions of their Guru Prof TRS.

1. Pallavi in Hindolam " Muruganai Guhanai Ninai Nee Maal Maraganai Sharavananai " [Gopucha Yati]

2. In Poorvikalyani " Maa Umaa Vinumaa Brovumaa Maayammaa Maatanga Kanya Maravaku ][Shrotovaha Yati]

3. In Reetigowla " Velavaa Yennai Aalavaa Enkurai Teerkavaa Murugaa Shanmugaa" [Complete Shrotovaha Yati]

4. In Poorvikalyani "Paarvati Parameshwari Chamundeshwari Parvata Kumari Haranaayaki" [Mrudanga Yati]

5. In Poorvikalyani "Aadi Sankaram Ati Dayaakaram Aarsha Guruvaram Aham Bhaje Aharnisham Aacharyam" [Sama Yati]

6.In Todi "Sharavananai Muruganai Guhanai Ninai Nidam Padame Tudisheyvaai Nee Arule Perave Tiru" [All Yati's - Gopucha , Shrotovaha , Sama]
------------------------------------------------------------
Next Raaga Mudra Pallavi's

7. In Hamsadhwani "Hamsadhwani Sahite Dhwani Sahite Sahite Hite Te Namaste"

8. In Charukeshi " Suhasihi Agha Naashini Chaarukeshini Sundari Paradevata Parashiva Mohini"

9. " Ranjani Niranjani Bhavabhanjani Sadaa Paahimaam Maarajanai Mahaalakshmi Haripriye"

10. In Bindumaalini " Enduko Neekrupa Raadu Bindumaalini Maa Talli"

11. In Shanmukharpiya " Sharanu Vaibhave Shamale Shive Shanmukhapriye Shankari Vashankari Shivashankari"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pallavi's having Taala Mudra.

12. Pallavi in Kalyani having Raaga Taala (Roopaka) Mudra "Kalyani Mamukaavumu Kamaneeya Roopakalyani Roopa Kalyani"

13. Pallavi in Hamsadhwani having Taala (Adi) Mudra " Karam Shubhakaram Mohana Karam Bhajeham Aadi Devam Ahibhushanam"
----------------------------------------------------------------
14. Trikaala Pallavi " Dasaratha Tanayuni Maravaku Manasa Dinamu Kshanamu"

15. Trikaala Pallavi "Triyambakanai Maheshwaranai Sadaashivane Maname Dinamu Tudishai"
----------------------------------------------------------------
Swaraakshara Pallavi's

16. "Sa Ri Ga Ma Pa Da Ni Sa Paadega Saamagaanamruta Saaramagu"

17. " Sammanamaa Sabhapathe Sadaashiva Sakala Daivamu Unaku Sari "
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Raagamalika

18. In Kharaharapriya "Velai Panivade Nam Velai Adi Kaalai Avan Kaalai Vadi"
And change over to Bowli at '......Adi Kaali Avan kaalai....
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pallavi Line in different Speeds
19. In Poorvikalyani " Meenakshi Me mudam Dehi Sadaa Paradevi Parashiva Jaaye Marakatamani Chaaye"

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Pallavi's involving Jatis

20. " Tattadhimi Tatadhimi Tadhimi Anisadaa Shivudu Bahuchakkaga Natanamu Aadevu"

21. "Dhitai Dhi Dhi tai Yendradu Daivame Tai "
Dwi Raaga Pallavi

22. In Vasanta and Mohana "Ellapaudu Vasanta Rutuve Mohana Krishnuni Dayayunte"
Pallavi Based in Jaavali

23. "Vega Todi Teve Saamini YelarAdAyane Kaamini"
24. Pallavi in Nayaki " Rangapathe Paahimaam Ranganaayaki Sameta Sri"

25. Pallavi on Saint Tyagaraja and Saint Annamacharya "Tyagayya Annamayya Bhagavatotamulu ???"
Priya Sister's concluded with a Pallavi in Gaanamurthey
A pallavi in tribute to their Guru Prof TRS composed by them.
"Guru Murthey Sangeetha Spurthey Gandharva Gaanamurthey Akhanda Keerthe Subramanya"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Some of the above Pallavis are demonstrated by the great man himself, in his 1-2-3-4 Lec-Dem recording. The Genius of the man lives on!
What a vidhwan!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jmoMivUew

Please don't miss the mInakshi mEmudam towards the end. He enjoys kARvai in each syllable, produces music with syllabic intervals alone, nothing else. The svara, sounds , just dripping paint for him!

Smt. T. Rukmini such a support.

Sri Kamalakar Rao - what a confident gait and surety in his playing!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

2 weeks back when i wrote a review of Abhishek crt, I asked a question as to who else sings the below krithi as I heard for the first time :

sadAshiva bhajanamE - todi - papanasam sivan

One friend/accquintance sent me a personal note that Taala Raaga Swaroopan (TRS )has sung this. I have not heard the sadashiva bhajanamE of papanasam sivan sung by TRS. Any pointers from any one preferably recording link ? Crama- have you heard this krithi from TRS

CRama

Post by CRama »

I have never heard this Thodi song of Papanasam Sivan from TRS.

sathreya

Post by sathreya »

Hi

I am no longer able to find this 1973 concert of Shri TRS

https://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.co ... rough.html

The gajavadana beduve and the Paramadbhuta Maina are imprinted in my mind, and I would love to be able to access it again.

If I am not mistaken, Sachi was kind enough to get us access to these recordings from Parvathi, so if he could please oblige, id be much grateful.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Am at it. Hope I can find the tracks.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Happy Vinayaka Chaturthi!

Sathreya and all,
The tracks are working!
Please note you need to access the site and embedded audio files via a browser that supports flash
Take care

CRama

Post by CRama »

Heard the above concert. Brilliant. Thanks Sachi.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

🙏

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

What is the raga of the pallavi by TRS: "VinAyakam vignEshwaram vandEnisam varam varadaram vAraNam" ?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sir, please give an audio link. I will listen and try to identify it.

talalaya

Post by talalaya »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 10:19 What is the raga of the pallavi by TRS: "VinAyakam vignEshwaram vandEnisam varam varadaram vAraNam" ?
"TRS The Great" has sung that Pallavi in quite a few ragas. I remember a Sastri Hall concert in the late 70s (Not sure) with T. Rukmini, Upendran & a very young Harishankar, where he sang this in Kalyani in Misra Triputa, Khanda Nadai..

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Thank you Sachi_R and Talalaya for the response. I do not have the audio of the concert of Gayatri Venkataragavan in Tampa,FL on Oct.15, where she sang this Pallavi. I missed her initial announcement of the raga, but later she said that this wold be a pallavi by TRS. It sounded like Mohana KalyaNi to me, but I was not sure. The violinist also played Kapi during the Alapana, adding to my confusion ! It was a very good concert that I enjoyed very much.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Today Oct04th,2018 is TRS mama's Death Anniversary
------------------------------------------------------------------
What can one say about Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam or Taala Raaga Swaroopan that his stock mrudangam accompanist kamalakar Rao told once about shri TRS.

Personally one of my top two biggest regret is not hearing TRS sing a live concert. In late 80's when my periappa in Delhi introduced and said he is TRS - a carnatic musician . I asked TRS mAmA do you sing like santhanam. Strange question then, but now I keep asking the whole world does any one other than (MMI-SSI-GNB and may be few more) ever sing with such verve and manodharmam like TRS. I personally owe a lot of rasikatvam to Taala Raaga Swaroopan .

A rare Thyagaraja krithi Lakshanamulu in suddhasAveri, I only knew about this krithi few years back when I wrote a review that abhishek sang. I then came to know thru the forum that trs sang this lovely krithi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GvFdMAPoCM

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:23

A rare Thyagaraja krithi Lakshanamulu in suddhasAveri, I only knew about this krithi few years back when I wrote a review that abhishek sang. I then came to know thru the forum that trs sang this lovely krithi
There is a TRS National Prog of 1970s where in he sang this piece with a few others. totally about 6/7 kritis, limited alapana/swarams etc. TRULY BEAUTIFUL CONCERT and a young and vibrant voice.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Greatness about TRS music that I wrote way back in Jan 2010 when mahavidwan TRS just completed his 80th birthday

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22239&start=250#p153454

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

FB memory triggerred thoughts on the gerat man and his music kept lingering through the day. I made a blog post based on it: https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... ering-trs/

alpajnani

Post by alpajnani »

varsha wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 08:12 Is there a recording of that?
---
how time flies !! A decade ago we christened this track as the 1234 demo.
And it lives on....
https://archive.org/details/trs--pallavi-1-2-3-4
From listening to this I believe this actually is the audio track of a video recording. Does anyone have the video version?

Thanks,

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 22:32 FB memory triggerred thoughts on the gerat man and his music kept lingering through the day. I made a blog post based on it: https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... ering-trs/
lalitharam
Most of what you wrote possibly i already knew any way thanks for rekindling those memories . The rendition of bharatha janani by palakkad sriram shows his abhimAnam even voice texture is bit like TRS mama. Ideas just kept pouring in all directions and they were indeed blessed to see TRS mama in action. Thank you palakkad sreeram for capturing the intense musical drive of taala raaga swaroopan.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 21:40
parivadini wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 22:32 FB memory triggerred thoughts on the gerat man and his music kept lingering through the day. I made a blog post based on it: https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... ering-trs/
lalitharam
Most of what you wrote possibly i already knew any way thanks for rekindling those memories . The rendition of bharatha janani by palakkad sriram shows his abhimAnam even voice texture is bit like TRS mama. Ideas just kept pouring in all directions and they were indeed blessed to see TRS mama in action. Thank you palakkad sreeram for capturing the intense musical drive of taala raaga swaroopan.
Rajesh,

It would be impossible for me write something that you wouldn't know on Shri. TRS :-)

sankarrj

Post by sankarrj »

Namasakarams Everyone! Shri Kunnakudi Balamuralikrishna Sang this Pallavi in TRS mama day concert this week. RTP Starts at 1:47:00
https://youtu.be/A25HhRUaZB8

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

After many years of chasing , i finally got the information from TRS mama's daughter that Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam was born in Madras . He was born in a house near Armenian street in Parrys(Mannady), Chennnai. TRS born in madras drifted to 9 different navagrahas ranging from Parrys-Mannady-(1),Tiruvidaimarudhur-(2), mayavaram-(3), kumbakonam-(4), trinelveli-(5), vijayawada-(6), delhi-karolbagh(7),delhi-universitycampus(8) and back to Chennai- Annanagar(9).

If you think the above info on different grahas is useless here you have a very useful link to get back to Taala Raaga Swaroopan with his graha balam emi???

grahabalamEmi - revagupti- T .TRS coartists are Seshagiri Rao(Violin), Trichur Mohan (Mrudangam) and unknown moresing artist(some one can let us know the morsing artist)

https://youtu.be/jyPLPSahOr8?t=826

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Hanumath Jayanthi just got over . Who else is a better representation to dedicate to Lord Hanuman than the one and only Thriuvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam . Superbly assisted by younger Trichur Mohan . Thanks to violinist Seshagiri Rao sir pranams . shri rao played way back in 80's or 90's and more importantly uploaded this gem . I just set the time of the RTP to begin with Taanam with Mrudangam , the real testimony of any vidwan/vidushi to show their maruthi-Intelligence and Hanumath-VocalPower. go on from the taanam to pallavi lines on Hanuman and the super spectacular kAnada and spectacular revati swaras.

https://youtu.be/PpeFbxvLdMY?t=820

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 09:03 Mahavidwan TRS used to render teliyaleru rama in his inimitable style. Here is one link. TRS with TRukmini and Karakudi Mani.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ngi79gt2 ... s.mp3/file
Rajesh, I have solved your problem.
Thank you See Rama,
I just reheard Rama with the rendition of Taala Raga Swaroopan . What confidence ,he is not fragmenting swara kalpana with any violin returns. TRS mama's 3 unwritten rules are as follows
1. I am Taala Raaga Swaoopan and I am running a manodharma race especially in swarakalpana.
2.Let me see if mrudangist say karaikudi mani or kamalakar Rao can catch up with me
3.Let T Rukmini or VV Subramaniam during those swarakalpana movements become a tambura artist or play along violin artist and not be a violin return artist and fragment my cohesive ideas with near zero violin returns .

What swaras and what ideas from this jambhavAn TRS. Dhenuka must have got a fresh coat in 60's to 80's after the most popular semmangudi srinivasa iyer rendering his dhenuka . Atleast in dhenuka swaras, TRS was higher than SSI. My lifes biggest regret is not hearing TRS and SSI in a live concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

https://www.facebook.com/srividyacal/vi ... 2ODY2NDI3/

Thanks to Calcutta K Srividya who is the daughter of violinist Vasantha Kannan. The clipping is a 1988 USA concert of Taala Raaga Swaroopan accompanied by Vasantha Kannan and Trichur Mohan.

Rewriting a bit more contextually the above post !!!!
rajeshnat wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 12:02
TRS mama's 3 unwritten rules are as follows
1. I am Taala Raaga Swaoopan and I am running a manodharma race especially in swarakalpana and I am GOING TO SING DHARMAVATI SWARAS.
2.Let me see if mrudangist Trichur Mohan can catch up with me .
3.Let Vasantha Kananan - violinist during those swarakalpana movements become a tambura artist or play along violin artist and not be a violin return artist and fragment my cohesive ideas with near zero violin returns .

What DHARMAVATHI swaras and what ideas from this jambhavAn TRS .

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:23 A rare Thyagaraja krithi Lakshanamulu in suddhasAveri, I only knew about this krithi few years back when I wrote a review that abhishek sang. I then came to know thru the forum that trs sang this lovely krithi
A truly sparkling rendition. It is too bad that the uploader has cut out the equally sparkling classical-TRS-style svarakalpana that follows that rendition!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Oct04th,2019 is TRS mama's Death Anniversary
------------------------------------------------------------------
Today , October 04th,2019 is sixth anniversary since Tiruvidaimarudhur RajagOpalan Subramanyam alias Taala Raaga Swaroopan passed away.Kudos to this mahavidwan who was born in mannady near Armenian Street -Parrys in 1929 and passed away in Annanagar on October 04,2013 . Mahavidwan TRS was born in Madras and died in Chennai.

I wrote a post long time back thinking through a lot about this great TRS on his 80th birthday. Check viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22239&start=250#p153454 .

One of the point that i wrote then was that TRS was a Master of Untested Unheard krithis of very popular Vaggeyakkaras like Sadguru Thyagaraja.Here is another krithi as a proof that i discovered a day back, a rare kovvur pancharathnam krithi in the melakartha #65 ragam .

nammivacchina-kalyANi-Thyagarajar-rUpakam-T R Subramanyam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-uT2lTQSnk

RSR

Post by RSR »

@rajeshnat
Sir, I would like to suggest that the sections on Composers / Musicians,
can have a biography introduction (preferably sticky). I have read through all the posts on TRS in this topic but yet to get a clear picture about his life journey . I liked your explanation for the 'T' in his initials.
Without fragmenting this thread, I request you to attempt a biographical sketch in correct chronology , about Sri.TRS.
Sri.Muni Rao @munirao2001 should write about Sri. Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

RSR
Thanks for your interest of SSRao, a forgotten maestro. Link to my article on SSRao is: http://www.carnaticindia.com/profiles/S ... a_Rao.html

RSR

Post by RSR »

munirao2001 wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 17:42 RSR
Thanks for your interest of SSRao, a forgotten maestro. Link to my article on SSRao is: http://www.carnaticindia.com/profiles/S ... a_Rao.html
Respected Sir,
I hope that you may not object if I give the link and some excerpts in the thread on Sri.S.S.Rao.
Best Regards.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Tribute for #TRS91- #Lalgudi90
---------------------------------------
I remember collating some time back the info of TR expansion of Thriuvidaimarudhur R]ajagopalan Subramanyam when he moved on in 2013 with all of you. Also it took many many years where TRS mama's sister told TRS daughter who finally relayed to me that TRS was born in madras. I am assuming only MS Gopalakrishnan was born in mylapore and TRS was born in mannady, for a change 2 great supernovas not born in the banks of cauvery in either Tanjore or Mysore belt, Tamirabarani , Godavari or bharathapuzha belt . Hooray Madras Day in future can be celebrated with TRS and MSG.

Every 3 letter subrahmanyam is a supernova be it SPB or TRS. I also recollect i posted some time back for the first time an interesting info . The info was in vocal kutcheris , TRS mama was the first performer to sing Lalgudi thillana in a live vocal concert. . The mahavidwan TRS also quite an accomplished vageyakkara sang then the Desh Thillana of mahavidwan and mahavageyakkara Lalgudi Jayaraman. I am assuming i am right and only later say may be TNS , or students like SP Ramh all performed later. I am not 100 sure , if I am wrong- some one can correct it . Merely being elder does not mean TRS did it , but it is likely that LGJ thillana for the first time came only through TRS in a vocal concert.

I personally never had a chance to ever meet LGJ in person. I and coolkarni planned but LGJ was bit not well so had to skip. Missed and lost the opportunity in my life of meeting LGJ . But TRS mama knows me in person for atleast 8 to 10 years before he moved on. I curse myself that i had a chance in 1980s when I had a chance to hear TRS in a live concert in Delhi. I did not hear and willfully skipped. TRS and my Delhi periappa who passed away this year were close friends in Delhi since TRS mama moved from vijayawada to Delhi .TRS has personally told me in person that Lalgudi Jayaraman romba periya vidwan and vageyakkara and his musical mind is so sharp .

TRS mama and LGJ indeed mutually admired a lot .

Mahavidwan TRS singing thakadhim ta dheem (tanjam nin) - Desh - mahaVageyakkara LGJ Thillana
https://youtu.be/Y4WadIrMeXI?t=54

Exclusive tribute for #TRS91
------------------------------------
Many a days i feel bit fed up/lose interest in film music and also get fed up/lose interest with many many carnatic vidwans and vidushis. I always feel at that point why there is no verve or not enough carnatic classical ideas. During those times may go to say 5 to 10 vidwans and vidushis .Very Likely TRS and his rendition will be there and i feel an urge to hear his rendition .

Few times I have distincly said to TRS Mama "TRS Mama you are also a great singer , summa summa donot just keep on talking only about GNB". ""TRS Sir may give some counter and we will move on" .

There is a 8 mins hindolam alapana and then Dikshitar krithi with swaras.The first link is the full song link and the second link is where he starts with the song , just in case you dont have time for alapana for hindolam. Intense classicism with every turn be it lyrics , raga alapana , swaras in absolute kalpana . TRS brims with tightly leashed layam and raaga bhavam.

Taala Raaga Swaroopan singing
Neerajakshi(R,S) - Hindolam - NaadaYogi Muthuswami Dikshitar
8 mins alapana with no violin return and 8 mins swaras

https://youtu.be/q7NsYDZ9GL0?t=538

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7NsYDZ9GL0

Homage to TRS seventh Death Anniversary.

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

Rajesh I believe Voleti garu was singing Lalgudi Mama's thillanas as early or earlier than TRS Mama. And perhaps Nedunuri Garu as well not sure (M. Santhanam and TNS may also be in the fray). We can ask LGJRK and LV and see if they know.

Nevertheless your other glowing comments stand true. TRS Mama was a brother in all ways other than blood with my grandfather Sri KS Mahadevan so became as a member of our family esp late in life. They attended so many kutcheries together in the last decade of their respective lives that when no one could track down my GF'd whereabouts, they would try and reach TRS! The pre-modern version of 'find my iphone' was 'find my 90+ YO GF via 3rd parties'. They also took long walks together rapt in conversation, and I was once fortunate to be alongside them both in RA Puram, as they discussed mostly matters that had nothing to do with CM from English writers to politics. TRS Mama was a Renaissance man and musician. I agree that his GNB mania sometimes got the better of him. I felt his music soared when he shed that singular influence to a large degree and cast his own stamp.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

maheshram wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 22:06 Rajesh I believe Voleti garu was singing Lalgudi Mama's thillanas as early or earlier than TRS Mama. And perhaps Nedunuri Garu as well not sure (M. Santhanam and TNS may also be in the fray). We can ask LGJRK and LV and see if they know.
I forgot the source , but after your post , i referred TRS hard copy sruthi magazine exclusive writeup that came up in Nov 2013, few months after TRS death.

There is a question and answer done by R Swaminathan.
Question : What In Lalgudi Jayaraman made you admire him so much ?
Answer By Taala Raaga Swaroopan : Just relevant snippets . I came to know Lalgudi Jayaraman from his early years...... TRS says
"I listened to Lalgudi Pallavis , the ones that i heard earlier appeared as trash to me .In each concert he would play a different pallavi . I would visit his home ,learn the sahiya , goback vocalise and practise . He enchanced my depth of pallavis . His varnams and thillanas gave a new status to these forms .I could take the credit for being the first vocalist to have sung his thillana in concerts
Bit later in interview Lalgudi calls TRS and asks "Did you sing my thillana in Desh at coimbatore". Lalgudi said he received many letters of rasikas post TRS singing thillanas."
~~~
It is not too clear which was the first thillana that TRS sang of Lalgudi . I am conjecturing it was desh. Also no year was put . There is a possibility that TRS mama may have sung bit later than especially voleti /nedanuri /TNS . There is a recording of Lalgudi pahadi thilllana of Voleti singing in 1979. I am assuming it is likely TRS mama may have sung even before that is my calculated guess.

About MKR-TRS :
----------------
On a side note , once in queens your appa MKR sir talked with me and he went gA gA with TRS mama. He particularly likes TRS mama handling of suddha dhanyasi subramanyena .MKR then in 2011 analytically pointed out how TRS sings bit differently with venkateshwara line eduppu for swaras in suddhadhanyasi. He also mimicked like TRS.

TRS is perhaps one of the most analytical vidwan/vidushi ever, quite likely MKR may be one of the most analytical rasika ever . Atleast I can extrapolate one very likely reason of how they got it .Both considered GNB as their super O super star.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Desh was the earliest Lalgudi tillana I heard from TRS- in the seventees.

I have never heard any Lalgudi tillana sung by Santhanam or TNS - nor do I have in my collection of recordings. That Charukesi varnam was the staple fare in Santhanam concerts.