DK Pattammal

Carnatic Musicians
ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Words cannot describe the feeling of loss. The doyen of carnatic music passes on.
End of an era.

prashant

Post by prashant »

A great patriot rendering our national anthem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQGaVdZsMy4

That unique heart-melting smile at 0:28...

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

What a musician and what a personality. A great loss, end of an era, and slowly but surely the break from the glorious past is complete.

perarulalan

Post by perarulalan »

Extremely shocked and sad!!! Inspite of being such a stalwart, she had been absolutely a down-to-earth personality...Modest and simple to the core.. A colossal loss!! Nothing can replace the child-like and innocent smile on her face .....
May her soul rest in peace!!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Sad! I have always enjoyed her music.

eppramod

Post by eppramod »

Extremely Sad.A huge loss to CM world. Condolences to her family

A very recent upload of DKP amma from TVG

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLO ... _TV_Audio/

makham

Post by makham »

Pay your homage to DKP by listening to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNiITs6kFiI

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

i feel numb - may her soul rest in peace

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I guess that she was an elderly lady with a not-so-strong body.

This doesn't make it any easier for family, friends and fans to bear the news; I am so sad.

Condolences to family, and to those close.

Meeting her was one of the special events in my life.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Very very sad news. Doyen and an inspiring musician with so much humility .

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

sad news indeed. My condolences to all the members of her fmly.
Thanjavooran

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

I am very sad. The only surviving member of the Women Trinity is no more. This is a great loss to the CM world. This year, 2009, is indeed such a sad year for us all. DKP amma may have left us all physically, but her music will never die. I just can't believe it. Even today morning, I was downloading and hearing DKP amma's brilliant 'shrI subrahmanyAya' as suggested by manjunath. Such sad news. Condolences to the family.

tyagarajadasa

Post by tyagarajadasa »

DKP amma was the epitome of bhakti laden rendition with perfect diction. Will anyone be able to sing Shyamala Dandakam like amma??

My heart felt shraddhanjali to the maestro!

tkb

Post by tkb »

sincere condolences. We have had the great opportunity of having got her blessings in person couple of years back. May her soul rest in peace.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

prashant wrote:A great patriot rendering our national anthem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQGaVdZsMy4

That unique heart-melting smile at 0:28...
Please... Why?? Why did you show that link? It brings tears.

asrini

Post by asrini »

What a journey she has traversed. One of the great pillars of our beloved tradition. Indeed a great loss and the end of an era.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Deeply grieved to hear the news. Condolences to her family, disciples and close friends. The music world has lost a doyen.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

What a sad news. My condolences to the members of her family.

Prashant ji, on seeing the link immediately clicked it. Though I could not listen to the clip (right now I am in the office) just by watching the legend singing I could get the bhavam. It brought tears into my eyes.

revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

I never know much about carnatic music but i always loved Pattamal! Her style and her way of singing! everything was so wonderful! I wish this did not happen!
I have no words to write! I really dont wanna believe this! but tears are rolling out of my eyes!
May her soul rest in peace!

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Saddest moment for me. Not getting enough words to write..

sakthi.balan

Post by sakthi.balan »

shocking news......

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Oh dear, what a loss. One of the greatest Carnatic musicians of all time. There can never be another like her.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

oh no... 2009 seems to be the blackest year for CM after the death row of the 60's .

Too sad and shocked to write anything ..

Arvind

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

tyagarajadasa wrote:DKP amma was the epitome of bhakti laden rendition with perfect diction. Will anyone be able to sing Shyamala Dandakam like amma??
Very true. This EP came much before Sri Venkatesha Suprabhatam by MS, if i am not wrong.

So many ragas oven in this Shyamala Dandakam and ragas like Bhairavi;Saranga where the lyrics have these names were sung in those ragas. Raga Saraswathi used when lyrics refer to Godess Saraswathi etc., etc. At the end of hearing these Five slokas, listeners are transformed to experience Bliss!

Heartfelt Condolences to family members.

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

Miserable, nothing more to say. What a bad year !!!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

The azhuttam and soukhyam in DKP's singing is incomparable.

Look at her grace and simplicity in this interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E764nWR-KQ

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Just can not believe it! Was she ailing?
Really do not know what to write.
As popularly said
'pATTukkoru paTTammAL'
Agreat loss to the CM world and to her family, friends and fans.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Another Irreperable loss to CM !
May her soul rest in peace !

mazhai

Post by mazhai »

What a rude shock!
My head bows down to her pure soul.

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

sob sob sob ... :-(

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

One of the all-time greats has left us, and the CM world is less beautiful today. Unbelievably sad.

prashant

Post by prashant »

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Heartfelt condolences. Her treasure trove of Dikshitar compositions survives in her recordings.

arunk

Post by arunk »

Heartfelt condolences. Always loved her music, her style i.e. patantram.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 16 Jul 2009, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Another great loss to the world of classical carnatic music... may her soul rest in peace.

First we lost raghu sir, and now DKP amma... 2007 and 2009 are turning out to be very bad years for carnatic music

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

An irreplaceable loss to CM world - a legend we all will remember all the time to come. Our condolences to the near and dear ones in the family.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

How SAD! I am bereft of words! Heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family and disciples. I hope what she accomplished in her lifetime serves as some source of comfort to her near and dear. Truly an end of an era...

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

It is sad. MSS-MLV-DKP - Those trnity of music legends (in female category) enthralled us with their outstanding renditions. Sad to see their demise and we are left with shadow of CM.

She is truly a genius. Many times, I used to meet her. The brightness in her eyes, while talking about CM, is unimaginable. She always says- " I have to learn a lot of music. I know nothing". !!

With all the accolades, she is always humble, unassuming and caring for other. My heart goes to Smt Nithyashree who was nurtured by DKP.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Carnatic Music has lost one of its grandest and most dignified edifices. We are unlikely to witness such a model of sobriety and restraint ever again...and there are yet so many virtues beyond all those CDs and mp3s....

Yet another crucial link with our glorious past has been snapped...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The end of an era.
Heart felt condolences.
She will live for ever in the hearts of CM Rasikas!

vsn207

Post by vsn207 »

A great institution and a great Human being. A collosal loss.

rajesh_rs

Post by rajesh_rs »

Heartfelt condolences to her family and all rasikas who have been touched by her music. I will forever remember her "Sivakama Sundari" in Mukhari and her beautiful rendition of "Yaaro Ivar Yaaro" in Bhairavi. Her renditions of Athana were also splendid.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

I have heard her singing live once - in Music Academy on 25 Dec 1994, it was a morning concert. I don't have more memories of this concert however. When i was in school/college i have heard many of her recordings over radio - those still afresh in my memory are dasukovalena in todi, parthasarathy in suddha dhanyasi, yaro ivar yaro, tukiya tiruvadi, gajamba nayako & other dikshitar songs. Some of the recordings which i acquired during beginning days are her commercial release on papanasam sivam keerthanas, bharatiyar songs etc. Her cassettes with bharatiyar songs, and a commercial recording starting with viribhoni, venkatesa natham in brindavana saranga, etc are hot favorites in my family. Just last month, i heard a lovely and moving concert, most of the items are my favorite - from sangeethapriya - New york 1976 concert. A great lady, her legacy and music lives through her recordings and her sishya parampara. She was very patriotic, and one can still feel that in her rendering of national anthem and other patriotic songs in movies/concerts. In one of the interview, she cried while taking about country and patriotism.

I am recollecting moments i spent in her home when i met her two years ago. What a simple personality she was, and how caring for everyone! On that day, Ishwaran mama was going out for a medical test, and she was so concerned and caring for him. I heard she was bed ridden for some time now, and sick for last few days due to old age. Her end came around 1.30pm today, and hope that she passed away peacefully. Cremation happened today evening. May god give courage to her family members to come over this happening.

-hari

Dhanavendra

Post by Dhanavendra »

Music world has lost the last of the great ladies of Carnatic music. The women trinity becomes history with the passing away of smt pattammal. It would have been four great ladies had we not lost smt vasanthakokilam very early.

smt pattammal was a modest, family oriented person who loved everyone she came across. she used to shower her praise and affection on artists of all hue. A rare quality among musicians, which she possessed till the very end. Age might have dimmed her activities but she still had a sharp ear for music to which she responded with alarming clarity.

music world may have to wait for generations for someone of her quality be it musical or personal. A beacon is extinguished but her memory will never fade. she had a full life and had blessed us all affectionately. condolences to the bereaved family
Last edited by Dhanavendra on 16 Jul 2009, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

ogirala sri ramakrishna

Post by ogirala sri ramakrishna »

I am very sad on hearing the news. My heartfelt condolences to her family members, disciples .

She has learned the song SUNDARI SADA in the raga Sudha Dhanyasi from H H BHAKTA GNANANANDA TITHA( SRI OGIRALA VEERA RAGHAVA SARMA GARU), the Saint Composer of Carnatac Music at the instance of her guru Late, Justice, Sangita Kalanidhi T.L.Venkatrama Iyer in 1950s who was dedicated the DEVIGANASUDHA VOLUME 2 by the Saint Composer. Since then she and her brother Late D K Jayraman propagated this song in India and abroad. Even Smt. Nityasri is also singing this song.
Their tradition was whenever they go to Andhra for a concert they make it a point to sing this song without any demand or request.

I came to know SUNDARI SADA is one of her best favouraete songs .

Few days back I paid her courtesy visit to extend her invitation to the Birth Centinary Function of H H BHAKTA GNANANANDA TIRTHA on 11-7-2009. She could not recognised me. I have spoken to Sri Iswaran Sir came back.

H H BHAKTA GNANANANDA TIRTHA dedicated his book DEVIGANASUDHA VOLUME- 3 to her in August, 1987 at Chennai. I came from Calcutta to attend that function. I am still having those photographs of that function. The fuction was attended by late Sri D.K.Jaraman, Sri S.Ramanathan, T.S.Parthasarathy etc.

Generally audience will clap after copmpletion of a song by the artist during concert.
Once in Mumbai BRC , Anushakti nagar concert she started singing the song Sundari sada. Audience gave big clap immediately after the completion of pallavi itself. Still I have that recording.
She mastered that song like any thing.

The Saint composer publised his songs in Tamil on her request only.

After hearing her demise I have rendered the song omtariga videsamula kanupaka in the raga Vachaspati composed by the Saint Composer and prayed Gayatri Devi and H H BHAKTA GNANANANDA TIRTHA to take her to the heaven personally which is the purpose of this song. If you render this song at the time of last journey of a person the Goddess her self will come personally and take the individual to heaven. This was proven very recently when my mother expired in September, 2008.

Sadguru Sri Bhakta Gnanananda Tirtha Sangeeta Sabha honoured her in the year1989 with the title SRIMAD DEVIGANASUDHA NIDHI in memory of the Saint Composer.

May her soul rest in peace.

O.S.RAMAKRISHNA
Last edited by ogirala sri ramakrishna on 16 Jul 2009, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

sundance

Post by sundance »

vijay wrote:Carnatic Music has lost one of its grandest and most dignified edifices. We are unlikely to witness such a model of sobriety and restraint ever again...and there are yet so many virtues beyond all those CDs and mp3s....

Yet another crucial link with our glorious past has been snapped...
How right you are, vijay..indeed, a fatal blow to our bridges to the past.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I saw her live once. August 15th 1997. She sang as she was [apparetly] persuaded nu Mrs YGP[?] of the PSBB schools. It was in the Anna Nagar or Nungambakkam [?] PSBB shcool. She was brimmed with tears even that day when she sang Bharathiar's song. It was my pleasure, privelege and honour to hear her on that day. It's a pity that she couldn't have lasted one more month to witness the Independance Day and would, in all probability have uttered "Vazhiya Bharatha Mani Thiru Nadu, Vande Mataram, Vande Mataram".

Condoleneces to all music lovers.
Last edited by MaheshS on 17 Jul 2009, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

ajit

Post by ajit »

Its very sad to lose such a great artiste. Condolences to the family.

ajit

erode14

Post by erode14 »

very sad... heartfelt condolences...