DK Pattammal

Carnatic Musicians
Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

My heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and disciples. May her music live forever.

gavats

Post by gavats »

huge loss to carnatic music

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

very sad to hear the news. Condolences to the family, friends, disciples and rasikas.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Extremely saddened to hear the news. Heartfelt condolences to the family, disciples and thousands of Rasikas....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

mysoremurthy

Post by mysoremurthy »

We have lost one of the very best. Condolences to her family. What a wonderful singer she was!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Bharathiyar and DKP, AN INSEPARABLE COMBINATION. T he mundasu( turbanned) kavignar would have erected a welcome arch for her in heaven. Heartfelt condolences to her family members. gobilalitha

arasi

Post by arasi »

Love was lit in her heart
It lighted up her face--
Music added a glow to it--
We were touched by both

Divine
KAnci
PATTup peNmaNi, paTTAm PaTTammA --

I will always cherish her memory.
If we all feel this way, I can't imagine the state of her life partner who led a glorious life with this love-filled woman.
Sympathies to the entire family and to those who were blessed with her proximity. Hope her students carry on the treasure of a tradition which she guarded as her own precious life...
Last edited by arasi on 17 Jul 2009, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.

kapali

Post by kapali »

Pattammal's demise is a great loss not only to the carnatic music world but also to our nation as`a`whole for her singing to and reaching the masses with Bharatiyar's nationalistic songs.

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

To me, she was the one who brought Dikshitar to the masses. For that alone, namO namahA to her. Who can forget the innumerable Tyagaraja kritis that she and Shri DKJ popularized? Maybe she is having an audience with Tyagaraja and Dikshitar up there !!!.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

While we mourn the loss of a great vidhushi of carnatic music, let us remember her contribution to the music world and also celebrate her life, for she will live for ever in our memories. It certainly is a very great loss to her husband Mr. Iswaran at his old age . It is very difficult to bear the loss of ones spouse at an old age. Heartfelt condolences to him and the rest of the family.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

DKP was an examplary human being! One of the greatest musicians of 20th Century! A proud to the universal womanhood in particuar and human race in general! Her music will go on for years to come!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

chetants

Post by chetants »

As we all mourn the loss of one of the greatest Doyennes of music, let us remember that her music without frills(gamakas and brighas) and replete with bhavam and azhuttham should be worthy of emulation by young aspirants for ages to come.

Age shall not wither, nor custom stale the music of DKP. May her great soul rest in peace!

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

I would request rasikas to lisen to 'Yaro ivar yaro" in the www.musicindiaonline.com .What a voice what a rendition!!

No wonder I heard she was called Bhairavi queen.My god it is awesome and melts you!!
Last edited by anandabhairavi on 17 Jul 2009, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

Another big loss to the CM world.
May her soul RIP.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

DhwaniB

Post by DhwaniB »

Yes, the last of the triumvirate has breathed her last...condolences to the family. She has led a complete life and left behind many a treasures in the form of her students and her immortal music.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

and the Opinion - Editorial Page of Hindu had this feature

http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/17/stories ... 580900.htm

vsnatarajan

Post by vsnatarajan »

heard the news yesterday from the worldspace satellite channel-shuruti around 6 PM. Just became numb. from her shyamala dandakam to subramainyaya mamasthe, yaro evar yaro to Mamabhi- it had been the stuff dreams are made of. Suddenly feel very small, very Mortal- comaparing my journey so far to legends like DKP- so many miles to Go to even appear in the rear view mirror of greats like her

Anaconda

Post by Anaconda »

very sad indeed. may her soul rest in peace.

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

May her soul rest in peace.

SR

kam

Post by kam »

Definitely it is a very great loss to carnatic music. Condolences to her family.May her soul rest in peace.
Last edited by kam on 17 Jul 2009, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

May the goddess bless her soul to rest in peace. The greatest female singer in the past century in my humble opinion. I can't believe she is gone. Im at office and in tears right now thinking of the sheer purity with which Pattamma Amma will sing Mamava pattabhirama. Or the absolute majesty of the thodi Sri Subramanyomam. Or the feeling of delight when she renders Ranganayakam in that chavukka kaalam. Or that grace and authority of layam when she sang the jaganmohini ragam tanam pallavi.

Smt. DKP, you are one of a kind. I can recollect DKJ mentioning in a lecdem about DKP in the following words "Innikku naan ivlo pramadapaduthakoodiya nilaila irukken'na adhukku kaaranam enakku guruvum, akka'vum ellaamum aana Smt. D K Pattammal dhan. Pattamma irukkale, aval vandhu oru sangeetha gugai. Asaathiya keerthanai paadandhiram. Avalukku 400 dikshithar keerthanaiku mela paadam" (For people who dont know tamil - "Today, if I am celebrated as musician, its all because of my sister, guru and my guide, Smt. D.K.Pattammal. Pattammal is a musical cave. She has amazing keerthanai knowledge. She knows to sing more than 400 dikshithar kritis")

I cannot believe and digest that fact that a brain which has more than 400 dikshithar kritis has just been burnt.

God - change the design. Let a select few be chiranjeevis as humanity will ever need them.

With tears,
Thathwamasi

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thathwamasi, very moving. Quite true.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Im absolutely appalled by the scant coverage of this in 'mainstream' media. The indian express today devoted 10 lines in the margin, whereas it published a gaudy dozen page write up on some other musician who recently died. Neither did i hear a word from the central Govt. Only condolence message that i could see was from Yediyurappa.

Was this covered in any TV channel?
Last edited by matterwaves on 18 Jul 2009, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

She was a chiranjeevi (chiranjeevi means long lived, not immortal). Immortality is amara-tva, which can be said of her music already.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNiITs6kFiI
Listening to what she says at 5:30 brings tears in one's eyes...
What a grand lady!

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

I just cannot stop thinking about Pattammal Amma. Have been listening to her music since midnight and its almost 3 AM here. Just noticed something and couldn't help sharing it with the forum. Smt. Pattammal Amma has passed away exactly on the last day of Uthrayana punya kala.... What a great soul.... May the goddess bless Her...

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Please can someone share the Jaganmohini ragam thanam pallavi which DKP and DKJ sang togather.

Thanks
T

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

ragam-talam wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNiITs6kFiI
Listening to what she says at 5:30 brings tears in one's eyes...
What a grand lady!
Really touching! What a great lady she was!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

May I draw your attention to the following on behalf of us Rasikas..
http://rasikas.org/forums/post129124.html#p129124

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Coolji - Sorry about the request. Wasn't aware that it is a commercial release. Let me see if its available in the market.

Thanks
T

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

K'ji: Thank you so much - for me its when she sings "kanna talli vedukonti nee sharanantini.. karunanidhi ilalo neevanucu"

kam

Post by kam »

thathwamasi here is your favourite dish : http://www.4shared.com/file/118935237/d ... angal.html
Last edited by kam on 22 Jul 2009, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Vimala Bulusu

Post by Vimala Bulusu »

We are deeply distressed at the sad news of Sangeeta Kalanidhi, DK Pattammal’s demise. Fifteen years back, I happened to visit her at Chennai. I had the fortune of receiving haldi and kunkum from her hands. Her blessings are a memorable instance in my life.

May her soul rest in peace.

Our heartfelt condolences to her family and all well wishers.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

When DKP was yet a child 3 months old, her parents had taken her to Tiruvannamalai for a darshan of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi. Ramana graciously spread on her tongue two or three drops of honey!

Her father (or was it DKP herself?) said in later years that because of this she became the singer she was!

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

kam wrote:thathwamasi here is your favourite dish :http://www.4shared.com/file/118935237/d ... angal.html
Thanks KAM. Wow... what an experience.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

girish_a wrote:When DKP was yet a child 3 months old, her parents had taken her to Tiruvannamalai for a darshan of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi. Ramana graciously spread on her tongue two or three drops of honey!

Her father (or was it DKP herself?) said in later years that because of this she became the singer she was!
Oh my God..... Is that true????? No wonder.... Now that Shyamala dandakam makes more sense..... the lyricist and the performer have a similairity....

Thanks for that note Girish
T

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

I also have heard this.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Nice tribute - with audio links - in tamil though(;-

http://www.tamilhindu.com/2009/07/dk-pattammal-anjali/

=hari

SureshS

Post by SureshS »

Pattammal was a giant among musicians. This is really a great loss. My humble tribute to her at:

http://sureshs65music.blogspot.com

S.Suresh

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

Thanks a million Hari sir . It is so wonderful article about the Gem of an artist

studentvidya

Post by studentvidya »

This is from my Guru Smt Bhavadhaarini's Notes on Face book- Vidya

My Loving teacher...

From my childhood I have been a part of my guru’s family. My mother Nalini Anantaraman was her student previously and I used to visit Pattamma amma’s home for classes and listened to the classes. During one such lucky visits on a Sunday afternoon, my mother was learning the Kalyani Nava varna krithi of Mutthuswami Dikshithar ’Kamalaambaam bhajare’, I had been listening to it with rapt attention. It seems I repeated the sangathis and the whole Pallavi in a few minutes. D.K.Pattammal Amma hugged me and said ‘Indha Kuzhandhaikku nan daan guru’and with those words began my musical journey. That was the age of 5.

From then on, it was a ‘Chakkani raja maargam’ for my musical learning process. I was guided every little step in spite of Pattamma’s ill health or busy schedules. It’s now a 24 year young love story that I share with Amma. When in school I had classes on weekends and later on it was three or even four day classes in a week. She would encourage me to go to competitions and hear concerts regularly.

Every minute in her presence is a lesson. It was indeed a gift to learn from ‘The Kaalidas Samman, Sangeetha Kalanidhi, Gana Saraswathi’ who never showed that she was a very great person. She remains a loving grandmother to me and to many other students. It’s just like any other music class when I sit cross-legged before Pattamma, keeping time with her hand, while we both sing in a slow cadence many numerous beautiful Krithis. With eyes closed Pattamma listens to every sangathi, every syllable and moulded to more perfection. I only wonder how much of ‘punyam’ should I have done to be in Her Musical Divine folds?

To me ‘Amma’ always appears as Gaana Saraswathi, a Goddess of so much of musical knowledge and a teacher who constantly wants to give more and more. D.K.Pattammal Amma is an extra-ordinary teacher"¦After every song a discussion about the composer, the raga, the nuances, the variations, the mood of the song, How to sing it on stage, How to effectively present, Where to stop How to end"¦ She would explain every bit, she would connect us to the old memoirs of her performances adding more anecdotes to the song she just taught and made every other krithi special.

She would encourage us to hear more and more, learn more and more. She would often say these words, "nAn munne laam oru naaL ku oru Kruthi manappaadam paNNuven"

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Coolji

Thanks a lot for the wonderful picture .

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

What a divine penetrating look! Superb picture coolkarni !
(are we seeing you and meenakshi at the back?)