Sanjay Subrahmanyan

Carnatic Musicians
Vmenon

Sanjay Subrahmanyan

Post by Vmenon »

Sanjay Subrahmanyam is one of those rare and complete performers whose concerts are the product of a lively and intelligent mind. His music has the high authority and purity of tradition and the creativity of an exceptionally gifted artist. His concerts, like those of the great musicians of the past, convey an air of freedom. They sang in the presence of an audience, but they sang for their music. The durability of their music lies partly in this strength of spirit that it embodies. Their joy in their music is a part of our enjoyment of it. Sanjay’s performances have this great attribute. He is visibly lost in his music, and takes us with him.

Today Sanjay sings with superb confidence. His repertoire is vast and varied, and he delights us with the unpredictability and newness of what he chooses to sing. The intensive and exhaustive elaboration of unconventional ragas, and those that are outside the major mainstream, is a unique feature of his concerts that brings out the best in him. His innovativeness is quite astounding, although he makes it seem so easy ! While maintaining the same high standard, no one concert of his is like another. He gives of his best each time. We hear in him a musician who has been learning continually, honing his craft and training his voice. He has the humility not to take his audience for granted and the discernment not to cater to any popular notion of music as primarily the outpouring of emotional or religious fervour.

The great artists of Carnatic music have always sought the infinite and taken us along with them in their quest and striving. The best among them today, like Sanjay, harmonize the wisdom and stabilizing influences of the past with their own artistic and intellectual creativity.

Sanjay's absence from the list of Vidwans and Vidushis on this website was, to say the least, conspicuous. Hopefully, this post will set off a string of responses about an artist who, otherwise is regularly and robustly covered.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Sanjay's absence from the list of Vidwans and Vidushis on this website was, to say the least, conspicuous
Lots and lots of Concerts have been reviewed here on this website.

As far as this section goes, the absence is natural , given the fact that we are handicapped by not being able to use tracks to demonstrate a point.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Menon sir, I am as ardent a fan of Sanjay as you seem to be and agree with most of your eloquent observations....but my understanding is that this thread is primarily meant for talking about, and listening to, vidwans who are either no longer with us, or no longer at their prime, or relatively unknown...happily, none of this applies to Sanjay which is probably why no one is in a hurry to start a thread on him...besides, as coolji points out, the fact that we are constrained from sharing his music.

That said, since the thread has been started, I do hope we get some interesting responses...

mohan

Post by mohan »

vijay wrote:my understanding is that this thread is primarily meant for talking about, and listening to, vidwans who are either no longer with us, or no longer at their prime, or relatively unknown....
No I don't think that is the intent for these discussions. Any musician, past or present can certainly be discussed here. We just don't want recordings that may be subject to copyright posted. This is less likely to be an issue with musicians of yesteryear.

I would consider Sanjay as the leading male vocalist singing today. His vidwat is of the highest calibre, reportoire immense and is able to bring innovations in his concerts despite remaining within a strict classical framework.

As a person, Sanjay is very humble abouthis music, sticks to his principles and is quite willing to share his knowledge with others. Apart from music he is an avid fan of Indian cricket and Euro-style board gaming. His board game blog is at http://sanjaysub.wordpress.com/ and he also writes about cricket occasionally at http://i3j3cricket.wordpress.com/ Unfortunately, since the demise of sangeetham dot com we don't see his music articles anymore.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think Sanjay gets a lot of forum space in the kutcheri review section. We can only 'talk' about contemporary musicians, but can't really 'hear' them...that is the point Kji is making.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Ravi
I was only trying to defend against an opinion that suggested that this website ignores a great artist , while the rest of the world covers him regularly and robustly.

Frankly this website does not aim to project anybody or a group of artists.Barring some threads like the Review section , most discussions are of the Volley and Smash mode.Someone tosses up an idea and the rest run under it to find ways of responding to it.
This is more in the nature of a tradition that has been built up over a period of time.
Now what do I do with this amazing video clip of a Todi alapana ?
Someone , please tell me fast before I put it back from where it came from..

:P:cool:

vijay

Post by vijay »

Mohan thanks for ridding me of my mistaken impressions and for the blog links - passion for Board Games - like snakes and ladders you mean?! I had better check it out....

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

i've actually participated in a discussion in the forum about sanjay's documentary; it is quite untrue that no dicussions were there about him.
sanjay in my opinion has to check the quality of his voice. the sanjay which i heard a few years is not the same as the one that we are hearing as of now. this i think is something relating to his weight and he has to keep a check on the same. his lung power seems to be affected because of the weight.
regarding posts in the forum a few members seem to enjoy only discussing literature without any adulteration of CM and many times it gives an impression that we are in a literary forum.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kji,
Put it back where it came from...:)
We do not want copyright police haunting us!

rasam

Post by rasam »

One thing about Sanjay that I admire is that recently (past year or so) he has started singing ata thala varnams in different ragams. Nothing sets up a concert than to begin with a grand ata thala varnam.

mohan

Post by mohan »

chalanata wrote:sanjay in my opinion has to check the quality of his voice. the sanjay which i heard a few years is not the same as the one that we are hearing as of now. this i think is something relating to his weight and he has to keep a check on the same. his lung power seems to be affected because of the weight.
The last time I heard Sanjay perform live (in August 06), his voice seemed better than it ever was and his lung capacity immense. In one stage of his Bhairavi alapana he held a single note for very long period (nadaswaram style) which sent the audience in raptures. He had also reduced his weight considerably.

meena

Post by meena »

deleted
Last edited by meena on 27 Dec 2007, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

mohanam

Post by mohanam »

chalanata,

If over-weight and lung power were strongly corelated, Pavorotti, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Talat Mahmood, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, MLV, S. Janaki, Chitra, SPB, et al would not quite be the musicians they are/were. There are many other examples too. In general, I think it is much better to back opinions with either science or fact or observation.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Meena - thanks for the link - was interesting to watch!

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

My family and I have had the previlege of hosting Sri Sanjay with Nagai Murali in my house in Aug 06. Having observed him from close quarters, I can confidently say that Sanjay is a very interesting person, with very wide knowledge on many subjects in various areas, not restricted to music, has excellent taste in food and above all, has complete control over his body with rigerous exercises and controlled habits. He is a great artist with absolutely immense potential to greater heights. It was a pleasure to have spent a week with him enjoying his sense of humour along with some splendid music. My best wishes to him....Sam

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks for the link Meena! Nice interview!

He certainly has slimmed down in the last couple of years - before that he was threatening to become a "gundu mama" - but now, in that interview, he actually looks like someone in his twenties...however, I vote for bringing the moustache back - it gives him a certain larger-than-life aura...

Excellent taste in food, huh - at least I have something in common with him!

I also agree with Mohan that his voice has gained a lot of strength in the last couple of years. When he started the Pantuvarali varnam at Rani Seethai Hall this season, I was overwhelmed by its sheer power...

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

voice becomes resonant on greater control of breath. breath is pressured when weight increases. i do not want to comment about play back singers. their music is with intermittant gaps of interludes and the songs are well rehersed and sustituted with a repeated rendtion whereever there are flaws. the gasps are filtered and removed with the help of technology. sruti usually moves to lower octaves upon aging and increase in weight.
SPB was always singing in a psudo voice for very long years. the HM singers were managing with the accompaniments like a loud harmonium. even in such cases you can observe the difficulty faced by fat artisits. for example nasrat fateh ali khan.
it is my firm conviction that nadha is contributed by breath and not the voice. in other words it is not the blow of air but a regulated and calculated release of breath. pranayama helps for this to a great extent. this finding is not by me- it is by patanjali.
even today the first thing nadhaswaram learners do is to practice pranayama. this is how TNR and karukurichi could play in both directions of resonance and reverse resonance and which gave us wonderful music. the same could not be repeated by TNR in the later years because of various reasons. if you can listen to his concert in the inagural ceremony of annamalai university you can easily make out this.
sanjay is a great and passionate artist. i do not undermine his capabilities. but ultimately i've to tell what is conveyed by my ears a very sensitive scientific monitor i possess since i came in to being in this world!
Last edited by chalanata on 21 Feb 2007, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mohanam wrote:chalanata,

If over-weight and lung power were strongly corelated, Pavorotti, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Talat Mahmood, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, MLV, S. Janaki, Chitra, SPB, et al would not quite be the musicians they are/were. There are many other examples too. In general, I think it is much better to back opinions with either science or fact or observation.
Mohanam,
On behalf of chalanata, let me quote science - for the sake of space I am just quoting excerpts from one article that deals with the impact of obesity on lung capacity which we can stipulate is a very strong determinant of lung power....
This is from the abstract of an article published in the journal Chest in Sept of 2006:
BACKGROUND: Obesity is a major health issue in North America, and the trend is for obesity to be a more important medical issue in the future. Since obesity can cause respiratory symptoms, many obese people are referred for pulmonary function tests (PFTs). It is well known that obesity causes decreases in lung volumes, but there has never been a large study showing the correlation between body mass index (BMI) and the various lung volumes. DESIGN: We collected PFT results from 373 patients sent for lung function testing who had 'normal' values for airway function but a wide range of BMIs. SETTING: The PFTs were done in two accredited outpatient laboratories. RESULTS: There were significant linear relationships between BMI and vital capacity and total lung capacity. CONCLUSIONS: We showed that BMI has significant effects on all of the lung volumes, and the greatest effects were on FRC and ERV, which occurred at BMI values < 30 kg/m2.
There is also data that in individuals with asthma, even small increases in weight impact the airway reactivity adversely in a major way. And remember, unlike the rest of the world, for Asians (including Indians, excepting Polynesians) the BMI cutoffs for defining overweight and obesity are lower: 22-27 OW, 27+ obese.

And if I had to re-state your point
If over-weight and lung power were strongly corelated, Pavorotti, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Talat Mahmood, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, MLV, S. Janaki, Chitra, SPB, et al would not quite be the musicians they are/were.
, I would say: Imaging how much better they'd be/they'd have been if they were not overweight/obese.

And it makes perfect anatomical and physiological sense - weight gain, especially in the abdomen, causes major restrictions in the excursions of the diaphragm...

Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

thank you , Ravi MD.
:)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

correlation between body mass index (BMI) and the various lung volumes
Some more corelation between Lung Volumes and BMI

http://www.badongo.com/vid/299385

:D

On a serious (and Sad) note, Nusrath passed away at the ripe young age of 48.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ravi,
More than BMI, whether you are apple shaped or pear shaped also matters right . I guess in CM too, it is better to be pear shaped .

chalanAta,
I did not get on resonance vs reverse resonance in your post. Throw more light please?
even today the first thing nadhaswaram learners do is to practice pranayama. this is how TNR and karukurichi could play in both directions of resonance and reverse resonance and which gave us wonderful music.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajesh,
If we watch BMI, the pear/apple/pineapple/whatever issue will take care of itself. Health care advocates in India have been so heavily focussed on the issue of malnutrition, that the concept of maintenance of appropriate weight for the ones who are not malnourished is something that has been ignored. And society in general seems to operate on the mistaken belief that since undernutrition is seen in poverty, gaining weight inappropriately is a sign of affluence!
Indians and other Asians have several genetic disadvantages: At lower BMI levels we have higher waist circumferences (more apple-like - but unfortunately, this one doesn't keep the doc away! :( ), higher body fat content (the main reason for the revised criteria to define obesity in Asians), a higher risk for developing diabetes etc., compared to other racial/ethnic groups. In addition, if results from a large trial are to be believed, we also have higher levels of cardiovascular risk as well. You would think that all performing artists would pay greater attention to their SarIram, given that it undoubtedly impacts stamina and SArIram....

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

One of the occupational hazards of a career in CM (or in music generally) is that the artistes tend to sit and practice (and perform) for long periods of time. Add to this their intake of large amounts of sugared coffee/tea and keeping irregular timings for food, and the tendency to acquire the various ailments that Ravi outlines, can be more pronounced.

I feel artistes should go for long walks (at least 1 hour) every day and maintain healthy food habits. (This applies to all of us, of course!) When the Manakkals were here, Sriram and I went on a long walk along the Thames, while discussing music and other topics - that was a wonderful experience! Exercise, water, fruits - three key ingredients for healthy life!

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

rajeshnat,
the breath consists of an intake, holding and release. in case of resonance the well regulated release results in exceptional quality of sound. in reverse resonance a small part of the intake just at the moment of holding is released to give an effect as if the intake actually results in the note. i may sound very absurd and am not able to explain my listening experience any further. but i've observed this in TNR (early years without the bari nayanam) and in karukurichi's play very distinctly and a little bit in MPN brothers. thiruvizha jayashankar was also dispalying quite a bit of this.

shishya

Post by shishya »

This discussion sure makes one wonder about the saying " It ain't over till the fat lady sings." As a practicing musician, I have personally felt the benefit of exercise and diet control. Keeping weight in check does give better breath control and lung capacity. Also, I have always found singing on a full stomach to be very exhaustive ever since I was a kid. I would never eat anyghing at least 1 hour prior to a concert.

rasam

Post by rasam »

We have talked about food, breathing etc. Has anyone studied the effect of alcohol on music? I dont about y'all but my bhairavi always sounds so much better after a couple of beers ;) And aren't TNR and Mali considered the best ever at their instruments?
Last edited by rasam on 23 Feb 2007, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

The 10th rasam :) drAkshArasam?

Did tyAgarAja foresee that future when he sang

yati vishrama sadbhakti virati drAkSArasa navarasayuta :D

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 23 Feb 2007, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

rasam,
i'm very sorry. alcohol damages breath, voice and brain. it keeps on reassuring you about your capabilities and pushes you into an empty well. are you aware of the preservatives in alcohol? they are more harmful than alcohol. if you are a performing artist please keep away from alcohol in any form. there is history of geniuses in CM ruined by drink. i know you're not going to like this. but i'm unable to resist these words.....

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

And aren't TNR and Mali considered the best ever at their instruments?

TNR was before my time, but when Mali was at his "spirited best"....IMHO...it was Managathayaru who held the show than the master himself....

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Not to speak of some who even lost the life. My brother was treating a well-known flautist from Bengalooru when he passed away while he was still in his 40's due to liver complications.

-Ramakriya

mohanam

Post by mohanam »

Sorry I haven't checked with this forum for the last two days.

chalanata is quick to dismiss any of the artistes I mentioned from different genres. His/her disrespect of artistes and art forms is stunning. It just means that I am less inclined to respect his/her views and deem them worthy of a comment.

rshankar, terrific post. And yes, you have dug up scientific evidence that obesity does restrict ones lung capacity. Hats off. That wasn't my only point.

My point is that singing-quality is a multi-dimensional problem. And I admit I may not have made it very well. Let me try again...

We have/had singers like Pavarotti, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Talat Mahmood, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, MLV, S. Janaki, Chitra, SPB, Nusrat, et al who have been sensational singers, despite being obese.

Sure they could have been "better singers", as you say rshankar. But that is speculative. Let us live in the realm of evidence-based learning. The above set may be generally classified as obese and by MOST accounts, they are (or have been, or were) sensational singers.

Clearly, at least anecdotal evidence suggests that quality-singing does not get deterred by obesity and the resultant loss in lung power. Clearly, quality-singing is not only/merely related to the obesity and lung power.

We even have the adage: "It is not over until the fat lady sings"!!

Let us pause to think about that adage. Why is the adage constructed the way it is?

It is because most opera singers are obese. It is actually an acute problem in the world of opera. And let us also recognise and acknowledge that opera singing requires more lung power than, perhaps, any other form of singing. Apart from Pavorotti, other examples include the brilliant Jessye Norman and Leontyne Price. Even Dame Kiri Te Kanawa is not exactly lean-and-mean.

Moreover, it has been suggested that most singers have endomorphic metabolisms. This is not helped by a crazy lifestyle.

Furthermore, there was a seminal paper in the American Journal of Physiology by Peter Osin. He suggests that that lung cells release a hormone-like substance called leptin as a response to the repeated mechanical lung-stress caused by high vitality singing. Leptin regulates appetite and metabolism. High levels of Leptin cause the body to crave for food.

So, one could perhaps even conclude that if one is obese and one is a singer, one is involved in much more high-vitality singing! The corollary could be that if you are non-obese-singer, you are probably not involved in high-vitality singing! However, I am not prepared to mount that argument. Osin has an explanation for why some good singers who do not gain weight too. Read the paper. Gain insights. Or read: http://theartofsinging.blogspot.com/200 ... chive.html

For more on inordinate levels of leptin release, check out Wickipedia.

I am not a champion of obese people. Nor am I saying that obesity is good for singing. I am merely saying that anecdotal evidence suggests that being obese did not deter several artistes from being sensational singers. Precisely because quality singing is a multi-variate multi-dimensional problem and to strip it down to one variable and debate it is a somewhat futile exercise.

Talking about lung capacity as a variable on its own, let me pose this question... With immensely limited lung capacities, Madurai Mani Iyer and Ramnad Krishnan rose to be amongst the best singers of the previous generation! How? Clearly, they had other things going for them.

Let us celebrate good artistes for what they are.

sirsub11

Post by sirsub11 »

Mohanam, you might have wanted to add - Pandit Kumar Gandharva, for the best part of his career, sang with just one lung !

vijay

Post by vijay »

Mohanam, I agree with you on MMI but did Ramnad Krishnan have a limited lung capacity? His alaapanas sound quite forceful to me....in fact probably one the best among the great masters...

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Listening to SKR (Kalyanaraman), one gets the feeling he did have some breathing problem. Did he suffer from asthma?
I've also heard that he used to smoke! Is this right? (I hope not.)

mohanam

Post by mohanam »

sirsub11, good point. I had forgotten Kumar Gandharva in my post. Another example. Vijay, do listen to Ramnad Krishnan's alapanai's. The phrases are almost always short and crisp. He overcame a significant lung capacity problem to belt out some forceful and thoughtful music. And yes, SKR is also a good example. Why? He used to even perform in whistle-kutcheris with his impediments.

arasi

Post by arasi »

sirsub,
Talat Mohammad, the playback singer, had a single lung and sang sweetly too.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I get the point about the one-lunged singing wonders (and many are my favorites and I would not want them to sound any different), but there are some points that need to be clarified for the sake of evidence-based learning.
mohanam wrote:But that is speculative. Let us live in the realm of evidence-based learning. Clearly, at least anecdotal evidence suggests that quality-singing does not get deterred by obesity and the resultant loss in lung power. Clearly, quality-singing is not only/merely related to the obesity and lung power.
The bolded statements are clearly incompatible with one another - anecdotal evidence does not make for evidence-based learning. If anecdotal evidence were enough, then Kunnakudi's claims that Anandabhairavi has the power to revive the dying would gain wider credence!
mohanam wrote:Furthermore, there was a seminal paper in the American Journal of Physiology by Peter Osin. He suggests that that lung cells release a hormone-like substance called leptin as a response to the repeated mechanical lung-stress caused by high vitality singing.
Can you please post the article in question? AFAIK, other than the blogger you posted a link to, I do not see any article by P. Osin on the topic you have alluded to. I have checked the Ovid and PubMed databases extensively. Reminds me of one of the Oncologists I worked with who used to say 'In God we trust, Everyone else must bring references along'!
mohanam wrote:Leptin regulates appetite and metabolism.
Perfectly true statement.
mohanam wrote:High levels of Leptin cause the body to crave for food.
Do you have a reference for this? All of us who have been working in the field of obesity know leptin as the 'hormone' of satiety - a hormone that is secreted by the fat cells when they are replete - causing the body to increase energy expenditure and stop eating. However, the teleological role for leptin is in the opposite scenario: when we starve, leptin levels drop, and that is a potent stimulus to crave food, seek food, lower energy expenditure etc. Leptin deficient mice and humans have HUGE appetites, and are morbidly obese and treatment with recombinant leptin causes weight loss in these individuals. So, even if Dr. Osin's observations are correct and mechanical strees causes the alveolar cells to secrete leptin, then singers with the most stress should be the lean ones, and not the fat ones.

Leptin levels in the blood by and large, correlate with body fat: higher body fat, higher leptin. This means that obese individuals will have higher leptin levels. If this leptin was functioning normally, then these guys should become satiated early, eat less and lose wieght naturally. Ah! If it were only so. Most of these situations are examples of 'leptin resistance' where weight gain continues despite high levels of leptin. Treating these individuals with elephantine dosed of rleptin does get them to lose some weight, but it is not cost effective. Humans and animals with leptin receptor mutations are also very obese and have aggressive food seeking behaviours.

Now coming to obese opera singers, organizers, and even the artists themselves, maybe singing a different tune these days - 'dekhO ulTE srOt sIdhE kis tarah bahnE lagE':
Innes - Nov 1 2005 entry Why fat ladies sing wrote:John Treleaven, the clarion-voiced Cornish heldentenor who’s just been singing Siegfried at the Royal Opera. He’s lost 26 kg (almost five stone) since I first saw him singing another Wagner role in Nice a few years ago, and looks terrific. “My God, this is dangerous!â€

rasam

Post by rasam »

The great Ramnad Krishnan sang with a limited lung capacity? Thats truly unbelievable!

Regarding SKR, I read somewhere that due to a weak lung, he trained himself to sing from the stomach or something like that. The article also mentioned that he found it much easier to whistle than sing in his last days.

http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/kalyanaraman.txt

I quote from the article:

SKR had some original ideas/theories about voice production and was
very keen on publishing these in a collaborative effort with some
experts in the medical and scientific fields. During our conversations,
he talked about it very briefly and in an idiom entirely of his own.
I don't remember all the details but he said that KVN had perfected
the "chest" voice to a great extent. After saying this, he sang
Todi in typical KVN style phrasings and enunciation that left
me stunned by the accuracy of his imitation. Then he mentioned his
own congenital heart problem and other respiratory afflictions,
and said that he could not have survived singing all these years
had he not learnt early to use his stomach muscles for voice production
and projection. He stressed that one of the distinct
characteristics of his technique was that the voice/tone/shruti will
not "spill" when producing a pure note - I took this to mean that
he could produce pure notes of great strength and weight that would
waver very little. He remarked that with a chest voice there is
a lot of "spillage".

Another interesting thing he mentioned was that it was physically
easier for him to give an exclusive whistling concert than a vocal
concert, despite all his afflictions. For those who don't know this,
he has given quite a few such concerts - of 2.5 hrs duration -
accompanied by prominent artistes. With a twinkle in his eye,
he said that he charged a much higher fee for a whistle concert
than vocal.
Last edited by rasam on 24 Feb 2007, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Link edited..

Sanjay sings a lilting Bageshri RTP in this Season 2007 concert available on sangeethapriya.org....enjoy!

Many thanks to TVG, and his yeoman service on sangeethapriya....
Last edited by mahesh3 on 26 Dec 2007, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Sanjay's blog (the non-board games one!) has been udpated. Forum regulars who miss Sanjay's comments/opinions on sangeetham.com would find it especially interesting. Check out:

http://sanjaysub.blogspot.com

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vijay,
I was wondering why you did not chime in on this when it was posted a couple of days ago on the Kalyanaraman thread!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Oh! Was it....I've been a bit irregular lately!

sasa110

Post by sasa110 »

Hi al, please do check out the Second Episode of Sanjay's podcast!

http://media.libsyn.com/media/sanjaysub ... de_002.mp3

It has some interesting thoughts and features a great clip on MMI

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Hey Vijay/Arasi.

The blog is refreshing. Sanjay starts the blog with his favorite, a certain SKR :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahesh3,
Did you tune in on the 2nd podcast? No less than MMI's music here! The topic is Creativity. He speaks with fervor about interacting with artistes of other genres, a touch of a renaissance man here ( the arts flourish when artistes exchange ideas, enrich themselves and the society too, in the process). This time, Sanjay plays MMI's neraval of 'ettanaiyO piRavi' and brings to us a magical moment in music when the performer and the accompanists are only concerned with the music which is happening on the stage. All that matters is the music. A poignant moment it is, when all their egos are erased as it were! We get to hear what was frozen and preserved for posterity in all its vibrancy.
This is something which might happen 'in camera', especially when an eminent musician is commenting on it . Sanjay's remarks on his podcast is shared with all who care to tune in. Hope he keeps making more of these podcasts--an original approach from a prominent vocalist who has a flair for communicating his ideas and his concerns about CM...
Last edited by arasi on 14 Jul 2008, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Not just yet..Arasi..Still soaking in the first one with SKR....will definitely get to listen to it soon. It is so amazing to listen to Sanjay, I am sure he will further develop his ideas and invite us along for the ride :)

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Arasi: Yes the second podcast is brilliant. I've heard the ethanayo neraval ethanayo times now.

jananee

Post by jananee »

Thanks Vijay for the blog.....it is nice to read it esp after sangeetham.com vanished!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Can a knowledgeable forumite dissect the signature theme tune of the Sanjay Subrahmanyan show? I thought I recognized Dharmavathi and may be Kalyani somewhere there but keep getting buffeted by the waves :-)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shulini--I say it, though I am not a knowledgeable forumite :)