D Pasupathi

Carnatic Musicians
meena

Post by meena »

lambOdaram avalancE. rAgA: kAmbhOji. c/rUpaka tALA.- MV comp.

P: lambOdaram avalambE ambAsutam aharnisham
A: tumburu nArada vinutam lambAlakam ibhavadanam
C: surabhUsura samsEvita caraNa agha vidUram
sharaNAgata mandAram karuNAsAgaram
hariNAnka garvaharam dhIram guha sOdaram
vara pAshAnkushadharam vAsudEva bhakta varam

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks meena!
Beautiful sahityam, worth discussing under MV thread!

meena

Post by meena »

Just when I thought I was going to call it a day for acquisitions , He plays - on my music system-a mind blowing MDR-Kalki Unte-in the Company of Lalgudi -Coimbatore Ramaswamy and *??** Iyengar on te Khanjira -
Mind blowing recording as well as rendering.
And he takes great satisfaction in the fact that this will be spread further.
Kji
the Khanjira player was sree Madurai Krishna Iyengar

and that mind blowing kriti rendered by sree mdr-kaligi uNTE gadA - kIravANi - tyAgarAja

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Dear Mr.Coolkarni,
I joined this forum recently and when I tried to access the DP rapidshare tracks, I got the message, "file not found".
May I request you or some other member who has already d/l these to upload the same so that I can enjoy this artiste who, unfortunately, has not come to the limelight in the CM world.There are many such unsung and unheralded voices in CM who have never received the adulation of the more prominent musicians, and it will be a welcome and refreshing experience for many of us to get an opportunity to hear them through this forum.One such artiste,who comes to my mind is G.S.Mani
Another one is Manakkal Rangarajan.If you have any files of these two musicians, I would appreciate your uploading them.
Thanks,
Sivaraman.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

i will wait for a day or so to see if badri or others meet your request.
We did go through a similar exercise for gs mani last year and we could repeat it.(if someone has the tracks).
Otherwise I will dig into my stock (which has received good inflows since that period !)again and upload.
Manakkal. This weekend I should be meeting his son Sriram with the hope of getting something !!!(though one concert had been uploaded earlier-the only one with me)

meena

Post by meena »

sivaraman

ALL sree DP files are still active. Try clearing ur cookies and caches.

abadri

Post by abadri »

i will wait for a day or so to see if badri or others meet your request.
We did go through a similar exercise for gs mani last year and we could repeat it.(if someone has the tracks).
Kji, will post the few individual tracks & the Coimbatore concert with VVS/UKS.
Will probably do so on Monday.

padren68

Post by padren68 »

More details on Sri Pasupathy - Direct disciple of Mysore Vasudevachar, served i Kalakshetra and Tirupathi Annamayya Foundation. Has been instrumental in popularising Annamayya Kritis, setting them to tunes, notations etc along with other giants (Voleti, Nedunuri, Sr Pinakapani etc). A multifaceted musician - A great vocalist, vainika and a Bharatanatyam exponent.
I have afew tapes of Sri Pasupathi (basically AIR concerts) and lovely compilation of Mysore Vasudevachar compositions. Need to digitize them, will try doing it over the weekend and post!

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Coolkarni,
Many thanks for your great efforts .Looking forward to the uploading of G.S.Mani and Manakkal Rangarajan tracks.
Incidentally, I have uploaded an awesome ARI concert in this forum for the pleasure of music lovers.
Sivaraman.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

padren,
Looking forward to the shower of nectar!
ini amudum tEnum yedarku?
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

padrenji

thanku for the treat!

MaalirumSolaiNambi

Post by MaalirumSolaiNambi »

Thank you very much for the Gokula Nilaya!

My earliest memories in life are living just a few yards away from the music classroom at the Theosophical High School within the Theosophical society campus in Adyar -- where the KFI school now is.

(coolkarni, there used to be an old fort or palace like big structure inside, and behind that were some living quarters where the long time HM Krishnarathnam and three other teachers lived, as well as a music class room -- do not know if the structures still exist).

And two of my favorites were Gokula Nilaya and also a song which started "rAdha kAntha shyamalALanga dwaraka vAsA mAdhavA ..."

As a 2 or 3 year old, I used to stand across from the class, and ask the teacher to sing again and again those two -- and the teacher and the students usually complied with my request!

Thanks again for bringing back memories from long, long ago --
now, if only someone else has a copy of "rAdha kAnthA ..."

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Whose composition is rAdhAkAnta shyAmaLAnga?

MaalirumSolaiNambi

Post by MaalirumSolaiNambi »

Whose composition is rAdhAkAnta shyAmaLAnga?
Lakshman,

Don't know -- all I remember is what I listened to when I was between 2 and 5 years old -- quite a while ago. Have done google searches, no luck.

The raga is BhimpLas (guess that explains why I liked both rAdhA kanthA and gOkula nilaya) -- and given that it was taught at the Theosophical High School, I imagine there must be a Varadachar or Vasudevachar or some other Kalakshetra connection (of course, I may be wrong).

The lyrics, from memory are as follows:

rAdhA kanthA shyamaLAngA
dwaraka vAsA madhAvA

kamsa dwamki veNuka bandhana (? - sorry, my sanskrit is not good)
kaLiNga nardhana keshava

Sanka chakra dhara peethambaradhara
garuda vAhana murahari
gokula VAsA nathajana sheela
gOpI ramaNa keshava

sangeeth

Post by sangeeth »

Info about Prof.D.Pasupathi

Pasupathi sir is a product of Kalakshetra, Chennai, India and learnt music under Sri. “Tigerâ€

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Didn't realize there was a thread on vidwan D. Pasupathi! I heard a recording of his years ago, and was hooked straightaway. Have been looking for more of his music.

I realize the uploads on this thread are quite dated, but if someone would be kind enough to upload at least one or two pieces, you would make this rasika immensely happy. Thankyou.

meena

Post by meena »

jayaram

as u know, on this forum we use audio clips to understand the topic of discussions. Requesting for reuploads or clips one missed will be an never ending assignments don't u think?

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Madam, I am so glad you were not my school teacher! ;)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Ah !
My Knuckles hurt again today.. I Wonder why ?:)

Jayaram
We will get around the issue of RE UPLOADS by uploading something new !!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

thankyou, shashi

Re: the re-uploads, perhaps you can upload any way, and let me know by email (psst, we don't want to be caught here for being naughty! ;) )

<<so exciting, feels like school days again...>>

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Shashi, any luck getting D.Pasupathy recordings?
(Another artiste whose music is hard to find is Sadagopan)
Last edited by jayaram on 15 Dec 2006, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kudos to the wonderful artist:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/02/02/stor ... 910500.htm
Music

Vijay Kichlu - Hindustani music (vocal); Rashid Khan - Hindustani music (vocal); Shahid Parvez Khan - Hindustani instrumental music (sitar); Kumar Bose - Hindustani instrumental music (tabla); D. Pasupathy -

Carnatic music (vocal); Chingleput Ranganathan -Carnatic music (vocal).

N. Ravikiran - Carnatic instrumental music (gottuvadayam); Tiruvarur Bakthavatsalam - Carnatic instrumental music (mridangam).

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dw08ga

Mahatmule...
My Cup of Joy overflows , whenever I hear this Maestro sing.
God Bless him with a long and Healthy Life !!

sangeeth

Post by sangeeth »

Tirumal Tirupathi Devasthanam has a bunch of recordings on their website and this includes Sri.D.Pasupathi' s recordings as well. If you go to website - http://www.tirumala.org/music1.htm . Scroll down to the artist of your choice you can listen to these gems. The recordings are under - "Annamayya Padparijatham" adn "Annmaya Sankirthana Kaumudi".

rajeshnat

Re: D Pasupathi

Post by rajeshnat »

Write up post demise of Shri D Pasupathi in The Hindu dated Mar 07,2019
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 456709.ece

rshankar

Re: D Pasupathi

Post by rshankar »

rajeshnat wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 17:59Write up post demise of Shri D Pasupathi in The Hindu dated Mar 07,2019
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 456709.ece
A lovely tribute from none other than Sri VP Dhananjayan! :)