Smt. Chokkamma

Carnatic Musicians
meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 15 May 2008, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena,
THANKS for all the trouble. I love the sepia prints - they are very nice!
And a special thanks to your Appa!:)
Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meena, what a vintage clip! Thanks for a period piece which,--minus her talents in music--would have fetched her droves of suitors--prestigious family, such good looks, accomplished in embroidery, her love for animals...I said 'minus her talents in music', because (refer to Gangu Bhai thread) she would have scared suitors away (at least, their families), since she was a gAnEwAli--not fit to be a family woman, after all...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Meena
Thanks indeed to your friend first and to your dad for such a nice translation. We are very grateful to them !

meena

Post by meena »

(deleted)
Last edited by meena on 01 Dec 2007, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

May her soul rest in peace!

Meena,
When I read the article you posted, as fascinated as I was with her and the period piece, I had no idea she was around! I would have made enquiries--even met her if it were possible! Well, my loss.
I read the article again. Aren't some of the author's laments relevant even today? Mispronounciation of words, repetition of the same old kritis in a concert, manOdharmA and venturing into new territories a rarity and so on? Thank goodness, there are a few artistes who keep Chokkamma's individuality going. Even assuming that her talents were perhaps not that great as it was made out to be in that article, a woman to be spoken of this way, that too decades ago, is something to think about. Innovation among women singers
today is still a rarity...
Last edited by arasi on 07 May 2007, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

avara Atmakke SAnti doreyali.
arasi wrote:Even assuming that her talents were perhaps not that great as it was made out to be in that article, a woman to be spoken of this way, that too decades ago, is something to think about.
Is there any reason to believe her talents were exaggerated? :(

arasi

Post by arasi »

Heaven forbid, DRS! The way I meant it was: even if there could be those who doubt the merits of Chokkamma (unknown as she is to many) and there are those who do not take a newspaper article seriously, I wanted to emphasize that even if that were the case (obviously not), a woman to be written about in such a way, especially in those days was special, indeed. Sorry, it came across the way it did. Brings to mind what Aldous Huxley said to this effect: what a chasm lies between impression and expression! It is alchemy in the reverse. Touch gold and it turns into lead...:)

The lady is after my own heart, and you know that too...
Last edited by arasi on 08 May 2007, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

:)
Sometimes one has to ask questions to make things clear for everyone.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

May her soul rest in peace!

pooja

Post by pooja »

hi all
venne chokkamma is living in mysore now..she is alive...another chokkamma was expired,, this is not chokkamma......plz make correction...
i really feel very sad to say the mistake of news paper...

mortal_goddess

Post by mortal_goddess »

The article is written about N.Chokkamma, who is my guru ( neighbour)and very much alive, and chokkamma who passed away recently is altogether a different person.so, i request members to kindly make sure of the facts before posting.
Last edited by mortal_goddess on 30 Nov 2007, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Point taken , Mortal Goddess..

sandeepbg

Post by sandeepbg »

mortal_goddess is right about the fact that Smt Chokkamma is still alive, and i can say that she is embodiment of goddess saraswati. May lord bless her many more years of seva to the great carnatic music...

meena

Post by meena »

mortal_goddess / pooja

Thanks for bringing to our attention. Have deleted.

meena

Post by meena »

mortal_goddess / sandeepbg/ pooja

Would be nice if u 3 could share more info on Smt. Chokkamma. Maybe if possible do an interview- video/audio and share it with us?
If u have any old AIR rec. of her performing do u/l.

BTW welcome to the forum!

pooja

Post by pooja »

s sure .. if possible we will do her interview

braindrain

Re: Smt. Chokkamma

Post by braindrain »

Bringing another thread back up...

FM Bangalore played a 30 min concert now of N Chokkamma. She sang and played Veena along ( it was a vocal concert). A very refreshing khamas , 'paramAdbhutamaina' of Sadhashiva Rao with a grand neraval @ ghana mrdanga vINA vENu vAdyamulanu'. Followed by a kriti 'bandidE dootu' in ragamalika.

Sachi_R

Re: Smt. Chokkamma

Post by Sachi_R »

Must have been 60's or 70's recording. Mysorean. She usually had tabla accompaniment ☺️