09-nIraja_dhaLa_nayana-mAnd-Adhi-mannArgudi_sAmbhashiva_iyer
10-raghuvamsha_suDhAmbuDhi-kadhanakuthUhala-Adhi-patNam_subrahmaNya_iyer
11-kshIrAbdhi_kannike-rAgaMAlike-Adhi-puranDhara_dhAsa
12-shen_thamizh_nAdennum-mOhanakalyANi-Adhi-subrahmaNya_bhArathi
13-nada_mAdum_dhaivamE-sAramathi-MV_santhAnam
14-AdAdhu_azhangAdhu_vA-madhyamAvathi-Adhi-UththkAdu_venkatasubbier
15-viruththam-rAgamAlike-brundhAvanasAranga_shivaranjani
16-thillAna-shivarAnjani-MV_santhAnam
17-nI_nAma_rUpamulaku-sourAshtra-Adhi-thyAgarAja.
courtesy Dr. Manjunath..
0 x

venkatakailasam

#77 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by venkatakailasam » 24 Jun 2014, 08:07

A lullaby to Guruvayurappan..

tAlATTu pADum. rAgA: nIlAmbari. cApu tALA. Composer: Krishnadasan.

P: tAlATTu pADum endan madhura gAnam kETTu nIla vaNNA kriSNA nIyum kaN vaLarAi guruvAyUrappA
A: mElAna undan sannidhi vand-aDaindEn nAn kOlAhalamAna un darishanam kaNDu kaLittEn kaliyuga varadA
C: pArkkaDalil AdisESanil paLLi koLLum shrIman nArAyaNA padmanAbhanAi tOnrum parandAmanum nI anrO
shrngAramAna undan mOhana punnakai kaNDu en sankatangaL ellAm tIrndu santOSam aDaindEn uNNikrSNA

Talattu padum enthan madura ghanam kettu..rendered by M Santhanam here..

http://mfi.re/listen/n7debvbyz170x63/Sa ... ambari.mp3
0 x

venkatakailasam

#78 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by venkatakailasam » 24 Jun 2014, 08:09

Mahaperiva-001-nada_mAdum_dhaivamE-sAramathi-MV_santhAnam

Mahaperiva-001-nada_mAdum_dhaivamE-sAramathi-MV_santhAnam.mp3
0 x

HarishankarK

#79 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by HarishankarK » 25 Jun 2014, 12:38

i had an audio cassette of Santhanam ji in my house with a Todi Purandaradasa song Ninne Nodi Dhanyan and a Kharaharapriya song of Papanasam Sivan Dayavillaya Dayalo.
Both the renditions are very haunting, and i have always remembered him. I think the other side of that cassette had Kamalambaam Bhajare of Dikshitar but i did not hear that much.
He tuned and popularised the Devi krithi Sri Chakra Raja Simhasaneshwaree in ragamalika. But i think he sang it in too many of his concerts which became very boring later.
I think the Dikshitar krithi Nanda Gopala in Yaman Kalyan was also sung by him. Today i think Neela Ramgopal is the only one who sings this krithi.

Is MH Ramachandran the only student of MH Santhanam? What about Dr Ganesh? And are there no other students of Maharajapuram Santhanam?
0 x

rajeshnat

#80 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by rajeshnat » 25 Jun 2014, 12:53

shri maharajapuram santhanam students are
1. maharajapuram ramachandran
2. maharajapuram srinivasan
3. Dr Ganesh
4. Yazhpaanam karunAkaran - I have not heard him, he is based out of srilanka.
0 x

kvchellappa

#81 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by kvchellappa » 25 Jun 2014, 14:16

TMK also sings Namdagopala.
0 x

venkatakailasam

#82 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by venkatakailasam » 24 Dec 2014, 11:30

Request join Maharajapuram Santhanam group at FB..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/904848519533700/
0 x

sankark

#83 Re:

Post by sankark » 05 Jul 2015, 21:56

rajeshnat wrote: 2. Not heard a good todi from him. One RTP in Todi(1987 Academy) , in an objectionable pallavi line "Entharo Mahanubhavulu" was quite boring too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJZo9EyXSk - a full fledged concert. Thodi RTP in kanda triputai, starting @ around 2:10 mark. But the nereval is a rAgamAlikai, not only thOdi.
0 x

rajeshnat

#84 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by rajeshnat » 21 May 2016, 17:32

varsha wrote:MS has sung yAro ivar yAro for close to half an hour , saree evvaramma for close to an hour , in concerts
Varsha
Can i get the upload of maharajapuram santhanam singing saree evaramma and yArO ivar yArO in bhairavi please.
0 x

rajeshnat

#87 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by rajeshnat » 22 May 2016, 12:06

Maharajapuram santhanam singing bhairavi swarajathi - not as superlative as his guru's another student semmangudi. But santhanam always gives emote with right voice power. You can play in the 2nd song of the playlist. I am not sure if he has ever sang in a live concert-this swarajati.
http://mio.to/album/Maharajapuram+Santh ... ri+Krithis
0 x

rajeshnat

#88 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by rajeshnat » 24 May 2016, 22:54

Thank you varsha the sari evaramma appears as a live recording - perhaps this is the only neraval bhairavi recording of santhanam.
Santhanam singing periya upachAramoolanu (R,S,T)- no neraval
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaT93J75SSc
0 x

CRama

#89 Re: Re:

Post by CRama » 26 May 2016, 10:37

[quote="sankark"][quote="rajeshnat"]
2. Not heard a good todi from him. One RTP in Todi(1987 Academy) , in an objectionable pallavi line "Entharo Mahanubhavulu" was quite boring too.

Santhanam has rendered lot of good Thodis- May not be RTPs, but many kritis like Ninne nammi nanu, Sree Krishnam bhajamanasa, Dasarathe etc. Last Sunday, in the Isai pettagam there was a superb Thodi and Ninne namminanu. It may be available in sangeethapriya. I also want to download that concert.
0 x

varsha

#90 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by varsha » 26 May 2016, 15:09

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/14g4di ... hanam_Todi
Santhanam has rendered lot of good Thodis-
0 x

vinodnn

#91 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by vinodnn » 17 Jul 2016, 22:37

Thank you for the rare Bhairavi piece from the maestro. This appears to be from his pre-80s. I'm a big fan of shri Santhanam. Do you have the full concert available?

Regards,
Vinod
0 x

varsha

#92 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by varsha » 18 Jul 2016, 08:32

regret
0 x

sweetsong

#93 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by sweetsong » 12 Aug 2016, 02:58

0 x

rajeshnat

#94 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by rajeshnat » 12 Aug 2016, 09:05

Sweetsong
What a treat sweetsong - only today you have become truly the sweetest. See the musical intelligence and caution .- TO preserve the voice he is giving his son the chance to give the opening remark . Also the caution is he wants to give ramachandran the chance to speak in english which I am assuming shri santhanam is not as familiar. No one understands stagecraft better than santhanam.

Santhanam in 1985 was 57 years old . I am assuming there is more North Indians than south indians, could the person who introduced be Karan Singh the diplomat who is from J&K and also was US ambassador- he walks in black blazer just before start and after introduction. Besh besh santhanam i wish you were called to UN in those years 1985 to 1992 to represent the next vidwan/vidushi in UN after MS amma.

Off to work with only the pantuvarali breakfast .

Crama
see the context of what I wrote in ramachandran sir review. see how with power vidwan santhanam is singing say the line paripAlaya sarasIruha lOcana bhava bhaya kAnana and then ramachandran takes the last phrase bhanjana. This is what i was saying - may be the term .. Adichufying is bit crude yes(in hindsight I stand corrected) , but this vocal resource sharing is the key.
0 x

vinodnn

#95 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by vinodnn » 06 Nov 2016, 18:51

In spite of being a great maestro, I personally feel that shri santhanam is one of the ever neglected vocalists in the carnatic world.

I don't believe that he delivered less number of concerts in his life time. But the number of recordings of the maestro that is available in the web are less/limited. Till the beginning of 80s, he had been working in the Veeramani music college in Jaffna. May be due to this, he might not have delivered much concerts in India during that period. At least I haven't got a chance to listen to much concerts in his pre-80s.

When I hear people talking about legendary musicians (in TV or other media or in public talks), I hardly heard reference about shri Santhanam. I feel pain while seeing this. There are several vidwans/vidushis at his times including D K Jayaraman, Tanjavur S Kalyanaraman, Balamuralikrishna, M L Vasanthakumari, etc. who are remembered by rasikas. But I wonder why a maestro like Santhanam is not in the picture.

I feel that he got his Sangeetha Kalanidhi too late (similar to the fate of other vidwans like KVN, Nedunuri etc.).

Had he given any lecture demonstrations? I haven't got a chance to hear one.
0 x

Purist

#96 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by Purist » 07 Nov 2016, 13:03

quote #95 vinodnn "In spite of being a great maestro, I personally feel that shri santhanam is one of the ever neglected vocalists in the carnatic world"

It may not be appropriate to say MVS is one of the ever neglected, infact he was and is remembered for his
janaranjakam approach to CM. One of reasons for the less/limited number of concerts available on web is that
MVS wouldn't permit recording his concerts perhaps due to contractual obligation with recording companies.
It is well known he has to his credit a record number of cassettes/CD's next perhaps to MS & BMK,
As for other musicians of his time like DKJ/TSK/BMK/MLV you have mentioned, being referred to, each one is
for their own reason. DKJ for Sivan/Dhikishtar kritis,spl bhani, disciples trained etc. TSK for radical approach,vivadi ragas etc. BMK is a legend who doesn't need any signature reference.
In the case of MVS it is difficult to single out musical factors. Music appeal to the masses was his distinct achievement,
a great crowd puller in a so called 'lull' period of CM -1980's to 1990's, MVS trained very few disciples (apart from his sons) and nothing much to carry as a 'bhani'. All this could be reasons for lesser recalls amongst rasikas. I remember him for
his perfect concert planning,sense of proportion in what he offered, his acute sense of guaging audience pulse and
a great voice.
0 x

varsha

#97 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by varsha » 07 Nov 2016, 13:16

Purist
very succintly and correctly responded.Almost my thoughts
0 x

varsha

#98 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by varsha » 07 Nov 2016, 13:46

MVS wouldn't permit recording his concerts
and such glorious exceptions ....
D K Jayaraman, Tanjavur S Kalyanaraman, Balamuralikrishna, M L Vasanthakumari, etc. who are remembered by rasikas
Lalgudi once told me - after I played the tracks of one of his dizzyimg play with Nukala-especially the closing
https://archive.org/details/NIvEraKulad ... aTyAgarAja
: (in tamil )
" I used to think of of the likes of you as thieves . In hindsight i agree you guys have done a service by preserving .Little did I realise the value of this aspect of the activity.Thanks.Bring me more without hesitation "
Weeks later I went to him to pay my respects when he was moving out , at german hall - program organised to felicitate bmk ( once the Organising function was over ).

What ! have you got more stuff for me , he smiled .

"Appa" groaned gjr .To the effect that I did not ply my trade so unabashedly out in the open :lol:

How times change . Each impression on the magnetic tape - done by the unknown recorder - over thousands of hours.
Is such a vital link to a glorious chapter .And I dont know whom to thank
Which music marketeer could have captured moments of ecstasy like these as .
A huge message for current artists who frown upon , today :roll:
0 x

Ramasubramanian M.K

#99 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K » 07 Nov 2016, 23:44

Varsha: Right on with your comment about LGJ's initial dislike for recordings and his subsequent change of heart re; recordings.

SSI always used to say we can joy live music--listening to recorded music--he used to say in Tamil--it is like bathing in the kuttalam falls--right under the walls it is enjoyable but taking a dip into the same WATERS A FEW FEET AWAY DOES NOT GIVE THE SAME EFFECT. cLEVER ANALOGY MAY BE BUT IT IGNORES THE PERSERVE-FOR POSTERITY ADAGE.
If today we enjoy the likes of SSI,GNB,ARI,MMI,Alathur--who were all leading luminaries almost 50/60 years back--it is because there have been recordings public and private that give us an insight into their styles and repertoire.

The one thing that always bothered me was that those artists are not being compensated thro royalties despite the fact that all of us have heard umpteen concerts of theirs and even if there was only a small royalty everytime we played(a kind of honor sytem) would be equitable--ofcourse the logistics of collecting and channelling would be formidable!!!

Re; the present day musicians know how to safeguard their interests by demanding upfront(especially the CD recordings without waiting for royalty checks to come in the future) and also the proliferation of Sabhas all over the World have made it sufficiently rewarding.This is something the previous generation(the ARI,SSI clan) missed although their financial circumstances were less favorable(Now forumites Don't ask me How do I know this whether I have seen their Tax returns!!!!) Trust me!! Even providing for inflation their remunerations were paltry compared to what goes on today--especially the overseas tours!!

Sorry for the digression on MVS. MVS had to overcome his own Father's indifference towards his music and did very little to back him.That he made CM appealing to vast segment of the population-- whom the elites had effectively throttled before --cannot be denied.
0 x

vinodnn

#100 Re: Maharajapuram Santhanam

Post by vinodnn » 09 Nov 2016, 23:11

Hi Varsha, Purist, Ramasubramanian,

Thanks for sharing these information, unknown to me. I didn't have a chance to hear a live concert of Santhanam, whereas I wished to have.

As 'Purist' said, there is no such 'Santhanam' bAni like we have for Semmangudi/Ariyakkudi/GNB.

>> When I hear people talking about legendary musicians (in TV or other media or in public talks), I hardly heard reference about shri Santhanam
This is what I've seen till today. His krithi repetition mode gained criticism, which I also agree to a certain extent. It seems he always used to think about the pulse of audience and how to keep them happy. That should be a goal of a good musician. But his limited selection of krithis doesn't look appreciable. For example, if we take rAga sankarAbharanam, the krithis that I've heard the most is 'Enduku peddala'. There are a lot of krithis in the same rAga, but he used to stick on to a very limited set of krithis. I think he hadn't explored much in his concerts. I really wished to hear a number of rAgAs and krithis in his voice.

I can tell you a lot of rAgAs which I haven't heard from him, but really wished to hear from him.

chArukEsi
suruti
kEdAragaula
natabhairavi
mAyAmAlavagaula

are some of them.

I must say that I'm not a knowledgable person in carnatic music like you, who have decades of experience in listening to different concerts by vidwans/vidushis of different times.
0 x