Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao

Carnatic Musicians
Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

There is 1964 mumbai concert of Sandhyavandanam in the site but no details about him,infact one member thought it would be recital of ?sandhyavandanam?!.
Thanks so much for posting such a concert.As mentioned,more stress should be given less popular artists whose cds may not available in the market.
I have attended two of his concerts,in 1980s,one is fresh in the memory,at Sidhi Vinyagar temple,Besant Nagar,Chennai.He was physically not well(should be 70 at that time)but music was soaked with maturity and was unique.A true vidwan.One distinct thing of these Andhra singers,their,telugu pronunciation!
Members kindly post details about this vidwan,with personal audio recordings,which would be precious to many.

param

Post by param »

Heres a picture that I found on the net

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

pictures are welcome,but audio files are more welocme!

Somchai

Post by Somchai »

An anecdote from 1968. Sri Srinivasa Rao was principal of the Central Carnatic College. Smt Vegavauhini, daughter of Smt Brinda was a student doing her Vidwan Course. Srinivasa Rao was teaching Swara Raga sudha in Sankarabharanam and Vegavauhini was not singing the song and looking out at the Adyar river flowing on the other side. Srinivasa Rao stopped the song and asked in his typical tamil " Enna ma, why aren't you singing ?"

Vegavauhini replied" I already know this song and my mother has taught it to me in a different way. I do not want to change it".

Srinivasa Rao said " Why are wasting your time here ? The door is there and you can leave the room. And yes, there is no need to come to my classes in future. You can learn all your music from your mother". Vegavauhini walked out of the class and Srinivasa Rao continued his class.

Just shows what a firm disciplinarian Srinivasa Rao was ! I have always been impressed with his simplicity and firm ways !

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

pictures are welcome,but audio files are more welocme!
But ground rule 2 prevents uploading full concerts.

Kaumaaram

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Srinivasa Rao stopped the song and asked in his typical tamil " Enna ma, why aren't you singing ?"

Vegavauhini replied" I already know this song and my mother has taught it to me in a different way. I do not want to change it".

Srinivasa Rao said " Why are wasting your time here ? The door is there and you can leave the room. And yes, there is no need to come to my classes in future. You can learn all your music from your mother". Vegavauhini walked out of the class and Srinivasa Rao continued his class.

Just shows what a firm disciplinarian Srinivasa Rao was ! I have always been impressed with his simplicity and firm ways !
My considered view is that Mr Srinivasa Rao should have asked her to abstain from that particular class alone. Or, he should have smiled and ignored it. After all, the student had certain reservations in learning that song from him and NOT everything else.

Kaumaaram

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 610100.htm
Has anyone here listened to the CD Bhajana Seyave O Mansa mentioned in this article? If yes, what are the items in this concert?

neelotpal.m.s

Post by neelotpal.m.s »

it was scintilating to hear 'lekana ninnu' in ASAVERI by sri sandhyavandanam. the concert of his may be heard at'www.sangeetamshare.org/murthy'

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Sandhyavandanam Madhva Mu

Post by Sandhyavandanam Madhva Mu »

For the Dear Rasikas, the Bhajanaseyave O Manasa CD's , the concert recordings of Sngeetha Kala Ratna and Sangeetha Kalaacharya Dr. Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao, was produced and marketed by Sandhyavandanam Madhva Muni Rao, Son& Desciple and Proprietor of M/s.Professsional Marketing Services, Bangalore-Tel:+91-080-23229151 and Cell:+91-9845336203. Please Order for CD's .
I have plans to Produce CD's containing the excerpts from concerts, the compositions of Mudduswami Deekshita, rendered by Srinivasa Rao, who is considered as Authority on Deekshita's Compositions. Sponsors Welcome for this important endeavor .

rbsiyer

Post by rbsiyer »

Sandhyavandanam Madhva Mu wrote:For the Dear Rasikas, the Bhajanaseyave O Manasa CD's , the concert recordings of Sngeetha Kala Ratna and Sangeetha Kalaacharya Dr. Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao, was produced and marketed by Sandhyavandanam Madhva Muni Rao, Son& Desciple and Proprietor of M/s.Professsional Marketing Services, Bangalore-Tel:+91-080-23229151 and Cell:+91-9845336203. Please Order for CD's .
I was gifted this 3cd set and it is excellent. rs. 200 is only a token amount for such an album. the only other recording i could find of the great singer is from sangeetha audio. criminal neglect by audio companies of such a great vidwan.
please continue intimating of other available releases.

Sandhyavandanam Madhva Mu

Post by Sandhyavandanam Madhva Mu »

Dear RBSIyer,
Thanks for the feed back. Not only Audio Companies did not record and release S.S.Rao's concerts, even the AIR has not throught it worthwhile to release the CD's in their Series. He was associated with AIR- Vijayawada and Chennai in various capaciites and was even their Emiritus Producer. Neither CD's nor Broadcast in their National Programmes are being done by AIR. To my knowledge, two of his National Programmes were hailed as One of the Richest and Best by Great Maestros like Semmengudi Srinivasa Iyer ! Due to the Low Profile he consciously kept, the relevant authorities have no idea of the contribution of S.S.Rao.
Perhaps demand for the Broadcast or Audio releases by the Rasikas like you, may lead to the positive reponse from the relevant authoriites
Namaskaram
Sandhyvandanam Madhva Muni Rao

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Namasthel,

I am forwarding the live Video recording of our late father Dr.Sandhyavandanam Srinivasarao for Naada Inbam programme of Madras Doordarshan dating back to 10.03.1985 accompanied by Dwaram Mangatayaru on Violin, Shri Suchindram Krishnan has given Mrudangam support. Please use the links given below and download from the site, use winrar to do the needful.

Have you got any video of any music programme of my father? Many years ago I recorded from
Madras TV a half an hour programme of my father Sri Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao. From the video cassette tapeI captured it digitally. It features three pieces

Karunimpa - Sahana (varnam)
Vachamagocharame - Kaikavasi
Sri Vatuganadha - Suddhasaveri

I have split the 300 plus MB file into four parts and uploaded for you.. Download all the files in a
single folder and unrar them using winrar.

The links are

Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.part1.rar (95.37 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?wzamikuxwjm

Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.part2.rar (95.37 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?itnmqwv12gw

Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.part3.rar (95.37 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmtznmhzzw

Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.part4.rar (83.9 MB)
http://www..mediafire.com/?tzrmzmbtmzn

I hope that this brings you happiness

Your's Truly
S.MADHVA MUNI RAO
Son & Desciple of Sandhyvandanam Srinivasa Rao

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

I,S.Madhva Muni Rao, Son & desciple of Late Dr.Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao, have pleasure in informing you that my Guru’s and Father’s CD’s of Live concert in 1964 at Mumbai, titled "Bhajana Seyave O Manasa’ has been released . Karnataka Music Lovers and practioners like you would find it eminently enjoyable and will add to your worthy collection of Classical Music. I am attaching files containing the :
i) The Hindu report on the release of CD’s
ii) CD’s Sleeve notes giving the Profile of Sangitha Kala Ratna Srinivasa Rao, the reviews he had received and the contents of the CD’s.
The CD’s (3 Vol) are priced at Rs.200/- & USD5.
I request you to kindly Order for the CD’s . The CD’s are available with :
i) S.Madhva Muni Rao, 170/C, 3rd E Cross street, 3rd Stage, 2nd Block, Basaveshwarnagar, Bangalore-560079. Tel:080-23229151. Cell:98453 36203
E-Mail Id:munirao2001@yahoo.com.
ii) S.Poorna Pragna Rao, M17/4, 28th Cross street, Besent Nagar, Chennai-600 090
Tel:044-24914125.
You are requested to Order for your collection and for your Relatives, Friends and Desciples. You can advise for the personal delivery(Bangalore& Chennai), Domestic and International courier services. The local delivery charges are Free and for the International Delivery, the cost of courier charges, are Extra.
Kindly send us your payment through M.O./Cheque/DD drawn in favor of :
S.Madhva Muni Rao OR S.Poorna Pragana Rao
With your present contact details.
If the CD’s are received well, I am planning to bring his CD’s on Compositions of Haridasas, Mudduswami Dikshita, Shyama Sastri, Thyagaraja, Other Vaggeyakara’s other than Trinity, for the benefit of Lovers ,Practitioners and Rasikas, like You.
I now look forward to receive your valued order, at your earliest convenience.
With Best Wishes
Your’s Musically
S.MADHVA MUNI RAO

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Style is NOT Tradition
Article by Sri. S.Madhva Muni Rao
Reading of the opinion of Great Maestro and Genius Dr.M.Balamuralikrishna on Tradition in Karnataka Music prompted me to share with the readers/rasikas/practioners of Karnataka Music the correct position on the Tradition in Karnataka Music as written in an article for the special issue by the Hindu and published by Late NMN, as part of performance review of Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao(with his consent), doyen of Karnataka Music. In fact, DR.MBK had received lots of information and guidance from SSRao, when they were associated with AIR, India, as told by Dr MBK himself.
Tradition is not Style. Tradition is perceived and recognized as Classical-Excellence, time-tested and everlasting. Excellence is determined by the achievement of cherished goals of Indian Music - DehaSudhi- cleansing of the Body( Folk/Fast beat based other forms), KarnaSudhi - pleasing the Ears( light music, with greater emphasis onlyrics), Manas Sudhi- cleansing of the Heart( judicious mixture of melody and bhava) and Chitta Sudhi( Melody, with greater emphasis on Nada/Nadanubhavam-pure and noble sound). The Original, creative and innovative works of the Great Composers are encapsulated in their composition. It is a crystallization in music which has captured the vision of eternity gained by the great Masters in their sublimely creative moments.
The need to pursue this course of ‘Style' would not have arisen if the significance of what is Classical/Tradition had been deeply and profoundly understood by the artists. That which is truly Classical needs no updating, since it is not dated. It is eternal . It is so, because each masterpiece of the Classical legacy embodies immortal music . The task of preserving their immortal excellence is rendered immensely possible for the artist(s), who is musically sensitive and capable.
The pursuit of Pata Integrity rendered it possible to pass on priceless works with the flame of their creator burning in them. It was a path in which creativity was not shut out as commonly understood. Pata is repetitive, no doubt, but when the artist comes to it anew every time with artistic character of his intensely dedicated musical heart, he sees it as fresh as ever and presents it with the passion and ardor of the first romance with it .
In the task of preserving the Tradition/Classical Excellence, the Stylists have not been helpful and successful. They adopt the masterpieces and great works to fit in with the very personal propensities and idiosyncrasies of their talent. This is was/is an enterprise in which they freely tamper the great works, retaining only the skeleton and the broad sketch of the compositions and push their style in to the substance and improvisations(sangati ornamentations) of the works. With the growth of Styles and personal interpretations, the ideal of Pata Integrity suffered eclipse. This is the major factor,which has contributed to the decline in the Excellence and quality of Classicism in the cutcheri music.
Goals of the Indian Music, are
a) attaining theSat-Chit-Ananda(Reality, fresh, creative and unconditioned mind and pure Bliss),
b) Entertainment of the Rasikas.
Artist entertaining the rasika does not deviate or dilute the Tradition by accepting Money !
The contributer of this aricle may be contacted at:
SANDHYAVANDANAM MADHVA MUNI RAO
S.Madhva Muni Rao,
Son and Disciple of Late Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao,
170/C, 3rd E Cross Street, 3rd Stage, 2nd Block,
Basaveshwarnagar, Bangalore-560079
Tel:80-23229151. Mobile:9845336203
E-Mail/MSN:munirao2001@hotmail .com

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

IMPERSONAL CLASSICIST

"With the growth of styles and of personal interpretations, the ideal of pata integrity has suffered eclipse. This is a major factor which has contributed to the decline in the quality of classicism in contemporary cutcheri music. In this situation, the contribution of the "impersonal"

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

I recall SKA.Chingleput Ranganathan narrating an unfortunate happening in SSR's career in music (govt)college. Seeing him Standing in the queue in Royapettah Hospital Ranganathan sir had enquired if he had not been keeping well.He had told him (since he was a strict disciplinarian a few undesirable elements in the music college had floated a rumour he was not fit enough )he had to prove himself that he was mentally fit by obtaining a certificate from the govt authorised hospital to continue holding the prestigious post .Ultimately he did IT!

I vividly remember his rushing to the mike holding his panchakacham in one hand whenever he had strong views to express during Lecdem.sessions. I have also heard he was a lawyer by qualification.
Last edited by balusatya on 01 Mar 2009, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Madhav Muni Rao: Thank you for uploading those recording.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To : Munirao2001

Dear Sir:

Can you please upload the audio of Vachamagocharame in the ragam Kaikavasi?. God bless you/family sir.

Regards

Guru

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Dear Mr.Guru,

Namasthe,

I am forwarding the live Video recording of our late father Dr.Sandhyavandanam Srinivasarao for Naada Inbam programme of Madras Doordarshan dating back to 10.03.1985 accompanied by Dwaram Mangatayaru on Violin, Shri Suchindram Krishnan has given Mrudangam support. Please use the links given below and download from the site, use winrar to do the needful.

Have you got any video of any music programme of my father? Many years ago I recorded from
Madras TV a half an hour programme of my father Sri Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao. From the video cassette tapeI captured it digitally. It features three pieces

Karunimpa - Sahana (varnam)
Vachamagocharame - Kaikavasi
Sri Vatuganadha - Suddhasaveri

I have split the 300 plus MB file into four parts and uploaded for you.. Download all the files in a
single folder and unrar them using winrar.

The links are

Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.part1.rar (95.37 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?wzamikuxwjm

Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.part2.rar (95.37 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?itnmqwv12gw

Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.part3.rar (95.37 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/?mzmtznmhzzw

Sandhyavandhanam Srinivasa Rao.part4.rar (83.9 MB)
http://www..mediafire.com/?tzrmzmbtmzn

I hope that this brings you happiness

Your's Truly
S.MADHVA MUNI RAO
Son & Desciple of Sandhyvandanam Srinivasa Rao

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

it is a pleasure sir. Thanks very much

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Dear Rasikas,
I am copying and pasting some of the links for your listening pleasure !

Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao presents another version of the same kriti in the following clip. His version is closer to that given in the ...
www.sawf.org/newedit/edit01282002/musicarts1.asp - 38k

Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao. ... Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao. Added to Classical Carnat... folder on Mar. 10 2007. Size: 2.4MB ...
www.esnips.com/doc/37b7941e-6378-49ce-a ... Reetigoula - 49k

www.sangeethapriya.org/down.shtml - 59k

Download sahana Mp3s | Mp3 and Lyrics Search Engine | Chalo.net
Album: 615-Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao-V Thiagrajan-TK Moorthy-Coimbatore 19.05.1984. Info: mp3, 128 Kbps, 7.7 Mb, 00:08:24, 01.01.2006 ...
www.chalo.net/music/download-sahana-mp3s-1.html - 18k

Download sankarabharanam Mp3s | Mp3 and Lyrics Search Engine ...
Album: 609-Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao-MS Anantharaman-MN Kandaswamy Pillai-Max Mueller Bhavan Info: mp3, 128 Kbps, 35.5 Mb, 00:38:48, 01.01.2006 ...
www.chalo.net/music/index.php?search=sa ... type=audio - 16k -

Sandhyavandanam Madhva Muni Rao, Son & Desciple of Late SSRao
E-Mail:munirao2001@hotmail.com, Tel:+91-9845336203 and +91-80-23229151

annamalai

Re: Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao

Post by annamalai »

I think in this Tiruvaiyaru concert, my guess is that vocal support for Viswanatha Iyer is by Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa Rao, violin Lalgudi Jayaraman and Mridangam Umayalpuram Sivaraman.

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjunat ... Broadcast/

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

annamalai
After considerable delay I could listen to the recording. You are absolutely right, the vocal support was given by SSRao, disciple of MVI. Accompaniments must have been TNK and PMI.
Thanks & Regard
munirao2001

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Namaskaram to all, also to revered friend Sri. Muni Rao.

In 1969-70 summer vacation, I attended a day long event at Sri B V Pandit's Sadvaidyasala (famous for Aamodini!) on their founder's day. Prof. SS Rao gave a fine vocal concert and there was a lecture by my father.
I remember Sri Rao to have been a robust vocalist with a preference for speed like SSI.
Sri KVN held him in high regard and always consulted him on Kannada compositions.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Sri KVN held him in high regard and always consulted him on Kannada compositions.
https://archive.org/details/ThanuNinnad ... inivasaRao

varsha

Post by varsha »

I remember Sri Rao to have been a robust vocalist with a preference for speed like SSI
https://archive.org/details/RAvEHimagir ... inivasaRao

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

There is also a presentation at the Suswaralaya/SRLKM festival on this theme by Sri Muni Rao.

RasikasModerator1

Post by RasikasModerator1 »

SSRAO'S LAST AIR NATIONAL PROGRAM: viewtopic.php?f=13&p=355500#p355500

hnbhagavan

Lalgudi G Jayaraman Old concerts

Post by hnbhagavan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQB6NOtKbE&t=1775s
This is a 1976 concert with Vellore Ramabhadran

RSR

Post by RSR »

http://www.carnaticindia.com/profiles/S ... a_Rao.html

Srinivasa Rao was born on 21-08-1918 , at Penukonda, Anatapur Dt.,Andhrapradesh to S.Narayana Rao(Advocate) and Smt.S.Ganga Bai, both belonging to Dasakoota parampara . His ancestors were natives of Srirangapatna, Mysore . Rao did BA and BL and practiced Law for a brief period. His wife Smt.S.Saraswathi gave him total support to him to realize the potential. He has five sons and one daughter. He attained Lord's feet on 25-01-1994 .

Great Maestro's like Dwaram Venkataswamy Nadu, Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyyengar, Musiri Subramani Iyer, G.N.Balasubramaniam and Semmengudi Srinivasa Iyer paid encomiums and opined:

He exhibited rare perseverance and devotion in learning.
He is Idealist, who expounds emphatically and they bear a fine outlook and musical thinking.
His repertoire is quite big.
One can easily guage great passion in his music.
He teaches the students with a gusto and he endeared himself to the students.
He is profound musician of Karnataka Music, equally at home in the theory as well as practice of music.
He is one of the most talented and extremely well qualified musician in the field of Karnatak Music.
He has specialized in Mudduswami Dikshita kritis and his repertoire may be described as a golden treasury of the great composers works. His mastery of the compositions of Haridasas, Thyagaraja, Shyama Sastri, Kshetragna and Bhadrachala Ramadoss are equally comprehensive and authentic.

Srinivasa Rao started performing at the age of 12 and has performed for well over Six decades, all over India . A few excerpts of reviews of his concerts by Subbudu(Indian Express), NMN and RV(The Hindu), Music critics of Times of India and Hindusthan Times read :

To those who complain about the absence of a second line in Karnatak Music, Srinivasa Rao, a fitting answer.
Rao retains his clear vision relating to what is authentically classical. It is transperantly classical. Whatever aspects of music he touches, quality carries the eternal flavor of carnatic classicism.
Uncompromising traditionalist with a clear prescription of classical prescriptive aesthetics of refined quality that determines the traditional color of Carnatic music.
Rao is among the few Karnatak Musicians who do not sacrifice quality for quanitity. Without an eye on applause or a desire to play to the gallery, presents brilliant exposition of ragas.
His recital was majestic and moving, a model of how ragas should be imbibed and exhibited. He emphasized the simplicity of the renderings, be it raga or svaram, as the secret of appeal in Music.

Srinivasa Rao received initial training from Pallavi Pakka Hanumanthachar, Tirupathi Rangacharyulu, Chilamathur Ramaiah. He received advance training from Great Maestros like Tiger Varadachar, Maharajapuram Viswantha Iyer, Dwaram Venkataswamy Naidu and Mysore Vasudevachar. Rao also received special training from T.L.Venkatarama Iyer(Mudduswami Dikshita kritis), C.S.Iyer(Shyama Shastri kritis), Vijayakrishna(kshetragna padams) and Tanjore Ponniah Pillai ( Pallavi and rare compositions)

Rao served with distinction, AIR, Madras and Vijayawada – 1944-1947 and 1954-1964 in various capacities, including Emiritus Producer. His introduction of Bhakthi Ranjani programme, became trail blazer. Trained by him, the Karnataka Vadya Vrinda programmes playing Trinity compositions, Thyagaraja's Nowka Charitram and Prhlada Bhakthi Vijayam music operas, raga darshana and sangita sikshna programes , were immensely popular. He was widely acclaimed for his stewardship as Principal of prestigious institutions like Central College of Kanatak Music and Teacher's College of Music of Music Academy , both at Chennai, in the years 1964-1978 and 1978-1980. He was selected for the most coveted post of National Professor of Karnatak Music(For the First Time) by the Centre's HRD Ministry, but due to his sudden demise, the appointment order had to be cancelled. He served various governing bodies like Experts committee of Music Academy , UGC grants committee, Sangeeth Natak Academy , audition committee of AIR as member and Chairman. Rao also served as Special Officer, Dasa Sahitya and Annmacharya Projects of T.T.D. and set to tune several compositions of rare merit. His lecture demonstrations on various aspects of Karnatak Music and it's practice were well received and acclaimed.

Srinivasa Rao received many honors and titles during his illustrious career and some of the presitigious are Sangita Natak Academy award, Sangita Kala Acharya, Sangita Kala Ratna, Swar Vilas and Doctor of letters, Honoris cause, Asthana Vidwan of TTD.

Srinivasa Rao had the rare privilege of teaching special compositions to Great Maestros like Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyyengar, Semmengudi Srinivasa Iyer, M.S.Subbulakshmi, M.L.Vasanthakumari, M.Balamuralikrishna, S.Ramanathan, Radha & Jayalakshmi, Trichur Ramachandran, R.Vedavalli, Sugandha Kalamegam, Prapancham Sitaram. His prominent disciples are his Sons and disciples Madhvamuni Rao and Poornapragna Rao, Smt.Arundhati Circar and Shashank

Srinivasa Rao's music was quintessential amalgam of his various Gurus Rich music and he was hailed as an institution by himself to uphold the true ideals and values of Classical Karnatak Music. Indeed, he was Nada Yogi.

S.Madhva Muni Rao,
Son & Desciple of SSRao,

meerag56

Re:

Post by meerag56 »

kaumaaram wrote: 23 May 2006, 16:03
Srinivasa Rao stopped the song and asked in his typical tamil " Enna ma, why aren't you singing ?"

My considered view is that Mr Srinivasa Rao should have asked her to abstain from that particular class alone. Or, he should have smiled and ignored it. After all, the student had certain reservations in learning that song from him and NOT everything else.

Kaumaaram

I disagree. Decorum dictates she should respect her teacher and not talk back. She is either fully in, or out.