Pazhani Subramaniam Pillai

Carnatic Musicians
rajumds

Pazhani Subramaniam Pillai

Post by rajumds »

This the birth centinary year of the legend. A nice article in The Hindu.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/04/25/stor ... 020300.htm

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Please also refer to my thread about the Birth Centenary Celebrations invite at Music and Festivals Column.

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5476

Thankyou
J.Balaji
Last edited by mridhangam on 25 Apr 2008, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Nice article, thank you.

Also thanks for notification of the event.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I suppose it might be too much to dream that anyone has a recording of the lecdem that TS gave in Bangalore a couple of months ago? A friend who was there told me about it, and it sounded just so good, interesting and informative.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

yup even i heard about that.... if anyone has that please upload it here,, for am a big fan of sankaran sir and his lec dems..... his language is just international.......

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

An article in thamizh on the celebration
Nice pictures...

http://www.varalaaru.com/Default.asp?articleid=706

kanjira

Post by kanjira »

Can someone pls hear this audio and tell me who played the mridangam? The website says it was Palani Subramania Pillai, but if you listen to the sixth part of the audio, the AIR person says it is UKS. I've heard a lot of Palani's vasippu's and I'm pretty sure it's Palani only. Pls give your comments

http://sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/mmi/lg-psp/

Muthu

Post by Muthu »

Dear Kanjira ji
It is PSP and not UKS. You know how I identified ? From the thoppi use. UKS uses thoppi and valanthalai balancedly through
out the songs. Here in this case, more of valanthalai and rarely thoppi. So, it is palani and not uks. Thanks for the nice thread.
Last edited by Muthu on 22 Nov 2008, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

kanjira

Post by kanjira »

Even I thought in the same line but did you take a look at the sixth part of this audio? The AIR person says it's UKS and not palani. So was the announcement wrong?

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

The last song is from a different concert, I think. The first few songs (Vatapi, O Jagadamba, Minakshi Memudham, Darini) are all from a famous AIR Sammelan concert with Lalgudi, PSP and Umayalpuram Kodandarama Iyer, recorded in 1961. It is also commercially available now from AIR I think.

Muthu

Post by Muthu »

Dear Kanjira ji and sankirnam Ji
I feel sure that even the last song the number 6 Karpagame iwas also accompanied by PSP and Not UKS. The mrudangum phrase Nagathathim was only played through out with valanthalai which is certainly not the hall mark of UKS. Even in Nagathathim phrase Na-ga-tha-thim , the letter ga of UKS is heavy where as in this cae all phrases are of mellinum ( soft ) .I have been listening UKS for several years and he doesnot use only one phrase for a song through out. This is my observation, please correct me if I am wrong. Style can reveal the difference always. Please once again check and confirm to me. Thanks for the healthy analysis of stalwarts. Enjoy the swetness anyhow. Both are great.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

UKS sir used to play a lot of sarvalaghu back in the day, that last Karpagame is with him only, I can tell from the nadam.

trichur c narendran

Post by trichur c narendran »

Dear friends,

I am sure that the last song karpagame is taken from a radio recording in which Sivaraman sir has played and the following announcement can't be wrong. Palani Sir has accompanied in all other songs, no doubt about it. The anonymous rasika who has contributed this concert has combined two different concerts.I don't know why he has done this.

Muthu

Post by Muthu »

Dear Sankirnam ji, Narendran ji
Thanks for clarifying. It seems you two are also great artist but I am only a listener. I respect your opinions on this issue and accept that. But the only skepticism in my mind on this issue is that UKS never plays continuously more aavarthanam of even sarvalakhu without balancing with the thoppi. I have keenly listened to it. May be olden days he would have followed the style of playinf only valanthalai. Also, from the sound of the sarvalakhu which is very very nano mellinum and not with emphatic stroke and the same is possible in the case of a left hand use which is the case with PSP. Ofcourse even when you use left hand on valanthalai, the natham can be shilling tone from practice. Please I am not able to think anything more on this issue and I am unable to understand as to why only a song of other stalwart needs to be appended to another stalwarts concerts. What is the motive and intention behind it ? UKS, living legend has achieved everything in the art. PSP too had given to this world his best. Probably, both UKS and PSP would have accopnaied MMI at different points of time and played for the same song at different concerts. The best way to dissolve thi issue would be to clarify with UKS directly as he can identify his fingers and can remember the concert. We can even ask him to calrify through his site www.umayalpuramsivaraman.blogspot.com which he has recently brought out in the interest of art lovers for sharing his experiences and thoughts on this art. Could anyone do that and inform us in the forum. As art lovers, we need to get issues clarified from right source and advice rasikas to maintain integrity in thier art dealings and displays. Friends, what I wrote here is my view point and I am sure you might have had more experience than me as see from your assertions on this issue.
Last edited by Muthu on 24 Nov 2008, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Purist

Post by Purist »

It's very simple Mr Muthu. Many of the concerts of yesteryear stalwarts were recorded
on Spool tapes. While transferring them to cassettes/spools of different dia, some blank
spaces towards the end are inevitable. These are used up as fillers where you
record tukkadas/short songs-likeKarpagame for example which are invariably from other
concerts/tapes/programs. I dont think there are motives or intentions behind this,

As for the song Karpagame is concernd it is very clear its taken from a different program.
Apart the mridangam, you can can easily make out Lalgudi in Darinee telisi while
its Govindswamy Naicker in Karpagame.

I feel we should spare Umayalapuram!!!!
Last edited by Purist on 25 Nov 2008, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Muthu

Post by Muthu »

Dear Purist
I understand some new info from you about file transfers. I accept your view point. Thanks for additional clarification on this issue.

kanjira

Post by kanjira »

OK...so do we all finally agree that it was indeed palani who is the mridangist except for the last one?

Muthu

Post by Muthu »

Dear all

I agree that our conlusion on this issue is acceptable to me in principle and as UKS is around in Chennai I will get a reassurance through my friends who have intimacy with UKS for my additional satisfaction as the issue was identified and revealed to the forum by someone. As far as the forum discussion is concerned, from my side I keep the issue closed for ever. Thanks all you great friends. Solving puzzle makes us thinking and active. Keep the spirit of healthy discussion active as it always brings out some unknown and unheard facts and tips. Thanks again and bye from this area. Hope to thread with you somewhere in the forum

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

http://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.co ... %e0%ae%aa/

This article appeared in Amudhasurabi Deepavali Malar
Last edited by Guest on 20 Oct 2009, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum

Dear Gamakam,

Thanks for this great article
do you know the writers E mail address,
Any idea who can translate into english for me
please.

Aum

Rajan Padiachi
South Africa

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Rajan,

I wrote the article:-)

My email ID is ramchi@gmail.com

rajeshnat

Re: Palani Subramania Pillai

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramachandran Mahadevan(who writes here with the id 'gamakam' and as 'lalitharam' in his webblog) is a wonderful carnatic rasika and a brilliant writer. He has released two books historically on GNB, his book on Mahavidwan Pazhani Subramania Pillai is getting released this season-2011 .

The date is Sunday,11th December, 9AM at ragasudha hall, Mylapore

I assure you will have a great day knowing more about mahavidwan Pazhani Subramania Pillai thru a wonderful passionate gamakam.

p.s I have also updated in the calendar
Last edited by rajeshnat on 30 Nov 2011, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ah! so, gamakam, it is your book that is being released! Delighted to know that.

Being nocturnal, I am known for my inability to attend morning functions, but I'll try, and if I get there, will certainly buy the book. After that, my poor wife can expect days and days of being pestered for translation!

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Rajesh:

Thanks a lot for the post. I was going to do it once the invitation is ready.

This wouldn't have been possible without Sri.K.S.Kalidas's constant support and guidance. I would like to thank the Pazani Subramania Pillai trust, esp. our forumite Mannarkoil Balaji sir for arranging such a wonderful function. It is a nice coincidence that my book is coming when for the first time a mridanga vidwan from the Pudukottai school is awarded with the Sangita Kalanidhi title. It is a real honor that sri. BM Sundaram is receiving the first copy of the book and Sri. Sankaran is delivering a key note address. The book release will be followed by a concert of Dr.Vijayalakshmi Subramaniam. Two promising next gen torch bearers of Pazani school, Subramanian and Akshay, will be accompanying her on the Mridangam. I'll post more details when the invitation is ready.

Looking fwd meeting you guys on 11th.

Nick: My GNB book was translated and serialized in sruti magazine. I will let you know if such a thing happens to this book too:-)

Lalitha Ram

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

I've also included a chapter on Murugabhoopathi. It wouldn't have been possible without forumite Ajith's help in getting an appointment with CSM's disciple Karaikudi Krishnamurthi. Thank you Ajit for all the help.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Congratulations Gamakam !

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Great. I hope that serialisation happens.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

For this one, a temporary name change would be in order ...to Gumaka!

Nice to see the cover. I'm looking forward to presenting a copy to my guruji when he arrives a few days later.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Nick H wrote:For this one, a temporary name change would be in order ...to Gumaka!
Good one Nick:-)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gumki gamakam
Color-Cover Page is lovely and it would be nice if you tell the price and no of pages as you told me yesterday , let them come prepared .
YOu are such a great person man writing about vidwan whom you have not even seen and collating all that in one book :clap: :clap: :clap: , let us also know how Trichy sankaran receives this after he lands here at chennai , I hope he has enough time to read the whole book before your inaugral

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Rajesh,

You better hold on to those compliments until you read the book. Contrary to what you said, I want to sneak away with the book release before Prof. Sankaran reads the book:-)

The book cost is Rs. 150 and there will be available on a discounted price (I don't know how much) on the 11th. No. of pages is 224.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Eye catching cover page Gamakam :)
What a magnificent picture of the one and only PSP !

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Cienu: Am sure you are aware that PSP and Trichy Sankaran acompanied SSI in 1957 for your Mom's wedding--that was a memorable concert and so magnanimous of PSP to expose TS to an elite audience in Kalki Gardens--the Gazebo was temporarirly removed from the center and I wish we had pics of that evening!!

Saw your e-mail--would love to bring my Mom but her physical condition is not good enough to stand the strain. I will be there for the concert as well as the event.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

The cover of the book is excellent...the majestic look of PSP the great... the look is just like the sound of his drum. I think there is no English version of this book... am I right? If yes, I will need to find a translator who can help me out :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I will need to find a translator who can help me out :)
My wife has been given notice: ten minutes a day :)

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

If one wants order the book online, it can be done here: http://udumalai.com/?prd=thuruva+natcha ... s&id=10381

Of course, it will be ready for delivery only after the release on Dec 11th though:-)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Hands up who else thought that Gamakam must be one our learned elder[ly] member? He isn't! :$

This was an excellent function, followed by a superb concert. Met many friends, old and new. I hope they will forgive me if I have, in the future, no recollection of the event! Really was more than half asleep, I'm afraid.

My highlight of the morning was the double mridangam play of the two youngsters, students of Sri Kalidas, who really gave a wonderful tribute to PSP.

What can I say about the book? Very little, until my wife begins the serialisation ... except that it is beautifully produced and it is nice that we need think no longer of Sri PSP as a one-photograph mridangist. There are quite a few nice pictures in the book.

It was nice to see how well the event was attended, including several VIPs of the musical world.

In today's Hindu: a write up about the book: Exploring Palani Subbudu's genius

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Nick,

It was nice chatting with you. Thanks a lot for the kind words.

I was truly humbled by the presence of several stalwarts. Of course PSP deserved such turn out. As I had said earlier, it was the meak response during his centenary celebrations that motivated me to take up the task of writing on him. It was really heartening to see a over-flowing hall. I was taken over by emotions when I had to speak. Had to end it rather abruptly:-)

Thanks again Nick and other forumites (Nageswaran sir etc.) for turning up for the function.

lalitha ram

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

For those interested, the book is available for sale at teh Karnatik Music Book Centre apart from the online store I had mentioned earlier in post #38

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Gamakam: Missed the function because of the clash with the MSS/Radha function--the loss is mine!!

Hope to see you on 18th--otherwise would love to meet you in person--will be in chennai between 15th to 20th--my contact# 99940409012.

Loved your GNB book--I am an unabashed o admirer of GNB-----plan to attempt a mimicry o 18th.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

The first chapter of my book can be read here: http://solvanam.com/?p=18173

MKR sir: I'm trying my best to make it to the 18th meet. I hope I can make it.

Lalitha Ram

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Gamakam: Impressive narration. i read it atleast twice yesterday..

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

voi gamakam...ennaiya umma vayasukkum ezhuthukkum sambandame illaye.....appadiye romba saralama kalki, devan nadai mathirina jilu jilunu irkku...besh besh rombha nanna irukku......

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

@Gamakam

Are you based in Bangalore? If yes, looking forward to meet you. Maybe you can forward an email to raghavendran_t@dell.com

Regards ~ raghav.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Gamakam: What a way to narrate that story! Excellent. Nick, instead of translating, your wife should tell you the story that Gamakam weaves about that Bombay trip of PSP with Chembai.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Thank you all for your kind words.

Lalitha Ram

nchokkan

Post by nchokkan »

லலிதா ராம் எழுதிய இந்தப் புத்தகத்தை மிகவும் ரசித்துப் படித்தேன். அதுபற்றிய என்னுடைய அறிமுகப் பதிவு இங்கே : http://nchokkan.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/pazhani/

என். சொக்கன்,
பெங்களூரு.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri. Chokkan, nIr adai Angilattil ezhudinAl innum pala forumites paDittu magizhvArgaL...(if you post that in English, several more forumites will enjoy reading it)....