Carnatic Musicians
cienu

Re: Palani Subramania Pillai

Post by cienu »

Congratulations Gamakam !

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Great. I hope that serialisation happens.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

For this one, a temporary name change would be in order ...to Gumaka!

Nice to see the cover. I'm looking forward to presenting a copy to my guruji when he arrives a few days later.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Nick H wrote:For this one, a temporary name change would be in order ...to Gumaka!
Good one Nick:-)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Gumki gamakam
Color-Cover Page is lovely and it would be nice if you tell the price and no of pages as you told me yesterday , let them come prepared .
YOu are such a great person man writing about vidwan whom you have not even seen and collating all that in one book :clap: :clap: :clap: , let us also know how Trichy sankaran receives this after he lands here at chennai , I hope he has enough time to read the whole book before your inaugral

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Rajesh,

You better hold on to those compliments until you read the book. Contrary to what you said, I want to sneak away with the book release before Prof. Sankaran reads the book:-)

The book cost is Rs. 150 and there will be available on a discounted price (I don't know how much) on the 11th. No. of pages is 224.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Eye catching cover page Gamakam :)
What a magnificent picture of the one and only PSP !

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Cienu: Am sure you are aware that PSP and Trichy Sankaran acompanied SSI in 1957 for your Mom's wedding--that was a memorable concert and so magnanimous of PSP to expose TS to an elite audience in Kalki Gardens--the Gazebo was temporarirly removed from the center and I wish we had pics of that evening!!

Saw your e-mail--would love to bring my Mom but her physical condition is not good enough to stand the strain. I will be there for the concert as well as the event.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

The cover of the book is excellent...the majestic look of PSP the great... the look is just like the sound of his drum. I think there is no English version of this book... am I right? If yes, I will need to find a translator who can help me out :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I will need to find a translator who can help me out :)
My wife has been given notice: ten minutes a day :)

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

If one wants order the book online, it can be done here: http://udumalai.com/?prd=thuruva+natcha ... s&id=10381

Of course, it will be ready for delivery only after the release on Dec 11th though:-)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Hands up who else thought that Gamakam must be one our learned elder[ly] member? He isn't! :$

This was an excellent function, followed by a superb concert. Met many friends, old and new. I hope they will forgive me if I have, in the future, no recollection of the event! Really was more than half asleep, I'm afraid.

My highlight of the morning was the double mridangam play of the two youngsters, students of Sri Kalidas, who really gave a wonderful tribute to PSP.

What can I say about the book? Very little, until my wife begins the serialisation ... except that it is beautifully produced and it is nice that we need think no longer of Sri PSP as a one-photograph mridangist. There are quite a few nice pictures in the book.

It was nice to see how well the event was attended, including several VIPs of the musical world.

In today's Hindu: a write up about the book: Exploring Palani Subbudu's genius

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Nick,

It was nice chatting with you. Thanks a lot for the kind words.

I was truly humbled by the presence of several stalwarts. Of course PSP deserved such turn out. As I had said earlier, it was the meak response during his centenary celebrations that motivated me to take up the task of writing on him. It was really heartening to see a over-flowing hall. I was taken over by emotions when I had to speak. Had to end it rather abruptly:-)

Thanks again Nick and other forumites (Nageswaran sir etc.) for turning up for the function.

lalitha ram

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

For those interested, the book is available for sale at teh Karnatik Music Book Centre apart from the online store I had mentioned earlier in post #38

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Gamakam: Missed the function because of the clash with the MSS/Radha function--the loss is mine!!

Hope to see you on 18th--otherwise would love to meet you in person--will be in chennai between 15th to 20th--my contact# 99940409012.

Loved your GNB book--I am an unabashed o admirer of GNB-----plan to attempt a mimicry o 18th.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

The first chapter of my book can be read here: http://solvanam.com/?p=18173

MKR sir: I'm trying my best to make it to the 18th meet. I hope I can make it.

Lalitha Ram

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Gamakam: Impressive narration. i read it atleast twice yesterday..

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

voi gamakam...ennaiya umma vayasukkum ezhuthukkum sambandame illaye.....appadiye romba saralama kalki, devan nadai mathirina jilu jilunu irkku...besh besh rombha nanna irukku......

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

@Gamakam

Are you based in Bangalore? If yes, looking forward to meet you. Maybe you can forward an email to raghavendran_t@dell.com

Regards ~ raghav.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Gamakam: What a way to narrate that story! Excellent. Nick, instead of translating, your wife should tell you the story that Gamakam weaves about that Bombay trip of PSP with Chembai.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Thank you all for your kind words.

Lalitha Ram

nchokkan

Post by nchokkan »

லலிதா ராம் எழுதிய இந்தப் புத்தகத்தை மிகவும் ரசித்துப் படித்தேன். அதுபற்றிய என்னுடைய அறிமுகப் பதிவு இங்கே : http://nchokkan.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/pazhani/

என். சொக்கன்,
பெங்களூரு.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri. Chokkan, nIr adai Angilattil ezhudinAl innum pala forumites paDittu magizhvArgaL...(if you post that in English, several more forumites will enjoy reading it)....

nchokkan

Post by nchokkan »

rshankar wrote:Sri. Chokkan, nIr adai Angilattil ezhudinAl innum pala forumites paDittu magizhvArgaL...(if you post that in English, several more forumites will enjoy reading it)....
True. But My English vocabulary is very limited. Not good for writing anything beyond 4 paragraphs :)

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Publisher's note and another chapter (Titled Dhruva Nakshatram) from my book - Dhruva Nakshatram can be read here: http://www.tamilpaper.net/?p=5255

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

MRIDANGAM-PALANI-SUBRAMANIA-PILLAI....Listen....

01-MRIDANGAM-PALANI-SUBRAMANIA-PILLAI-12.3-MB.mp3 - 12.3 Mb

aarvalan

Pazhani Subrmania Pillai

Post by aarvalan »

(This may be appearing a trifle late. But its significance is immense.)

“Many artists choose art to add to their glory. Only through a very few artists, ART chooses to express its own glory. Pazhani Subramania Pillai is one such rare expressions of ART.”

“Pazhani Shri Subramania Pillai : The Pole Star of Laya Universe” - a documentary on the life and lure of Pazhani Anna , was released on the occasion of the 52nd Guru Pooja, organized by PSP Trust.

The DVD begins by narrating an episode in Mumbai where Chembai Vaidhyanatha Bhagavathar gave a “thani-opportunity” even during the first half of his concert. In fact the concert had four more thanis and was fittingly reported as a “grand mridangam concert”. The mridangam player was none other than Pazhani. People who were close to him and others who were either direct or indirect disciples of him and other patrons appear on the screen in this DVD, recounting their experiences with/of him. Trichy Sankaran Lalgudi Jayaraman, Vedavalli, K S Kalidas, Arun Prakash, B M Sundaram, Guruvayur Durai, Palakkadu Rajaram (speaking on behalf of his father Palakkadu Mani Iyer and Palakkadu Raghu) T K Murthy, Tanjore Upendran and many others have through this documentary highlighted both the technical, ennobling and endearing qualities of this personality of magnificent proportion.

The DVD’s narration combines well with appropriate images and is interspersed thoughtfully with PSP’s lilting thanis that rivet your attention. You are irrevocably drawn towards it. The DVD brings about how PSP’s name was synonymous with “sathyam” and “gowravam”, how he never tended to gloss the rare errors he may have committed in concerts and the brief stint Alathur Brothers had with him at Purasawalkam (Chennai) learning Thirupugazh. PSP’s playing was as compact as the concerts of Ariyakudi. He was a genius but never an eccentric. His sense of judgment, the balance between savukkam, melkalam, farans and filling up gaps (or to leave it blank) was both inborn and acquired over years of experience. He was the mridangist who established the slots these “patterns” had to occupy (vis a vis their suitability) in a concert. When he played for the light items (thukkada) the mridangam would “become” the tabla and he lent complete seriousness even during this phase. He was particular in handling the instrument with utmost care. His gumkis resembled the silent yet majestic murmur of the dove. He tailored his playing to suit that of the singer - be it GNB, MMI, KVN or a violinist, like Lalgudi. He knew how to balance the valandalai and ilandalai and the nadham he produced glittered to gold by default.

The DVD goes on. He also “fusioned” with drummer Joe Morollo and that event hosted by AIR was reported with the title “When Mridangam Played Jazz”. His uncompromising devotion to Khanjira genius Dakshinamurthi Pillai perhaps accounted for the immense prowess he expressed in this single-handed instrument (meaning the Khanjira, which PSP could play to perfection.) Thalam and Thiruppugazh are inseparable. PSP reveled in accepting challenges and has played many exclusive Thiruppugazh concerts too. This DVD sets to rest any kind of a semblance of rivalry that had existed between Palakkadu Mani Iyer (another of immense stature) and Pazhani. It was mutual admiration that formed the cornerstone of their relationship. PSP, in fact felt proud that Mani Iyer was the first recipient of the national award instituted by Government of India and thought by receiving this, he had done the mridangam proud. The DVD also adds this : PSP’s veritable singing prowess was made explicit when he gave vocal concerts. He had also made his mark by willingly accompanying vidhushis when this was not the practice.

PSP left this world on 27th May, 1962 leaving behind a clan of worthy disciples.

In its closing stages this DVD cites Tanjore Upendran who says,“We the left handed mridangam players should always think of Pazhani whenever we take our morsels of food”

(Credits: Direction S B Khanthan, Script sources: Sruthi Magazine and the Book Druva Nakshatram (Lalitha Ram), Samarpanam: K S Kalidas, Narration: S Muralidhar. Scores of others have to be acknowledged for provided other credits. This DVD is a Swati Sanskriti Production.)

aarvalan (aarvalan@yahoo.com)

This DVD is priced at Rs.150 and can be had from Swathi Soft Solutions,5 Ananda Road, Alwarepet, Chennai-600018 (Phone: 044 24984050)

Nick H

Re: Pazhani Subrmania Pillai

Post by Nick H »

This may be appearing a trifle late. But its significance is immense.
The event and the DVD release was reported at the time. Some of the people involved are members of this forum. No harm in being reminded of it, though: the DVD is excellent. I was happy to be able to give a copy to my guruji M Balachandar (based in UK for past 20 years or so) on his brief visit to Chennai last week.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Please merge this thread from musicians of the past to Vidwans and Vidushi topic please.
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 94#p226094

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

As per report request, please also rename this thread so that it is clear that it is not for history, but for recent demise.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Merged

shankarank

Pazhani Subramania Pillai

Post by shankarank »

I searched titles in V&V forum - could not get a hit. I will be surprised if no one had opened one and privileged indeed to open one on one of the two eyes of this instrument - if I am the one to do it :D

This will be first about him copied from UKS thread.
rajeshnat wrote: as I am yet to hear a live Palghat Mani Iyer Mrudhu angam touch - may be none of the mrudangist got that exact unadulterated jack fruit tree as the one that PMI got
https://youtu.be/yzJJ7rcrQFs?t=1099

Parlandu to PMI on Pazhani's toppi sound!

semmu86

Re: Pazhani Subramania Pillai

Post by semmu86 »

Very much here. Maybe you didn't find it because of the typo in the original header.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23982&hilit=palani ... nia+pillai.

rajeshnat

Re: Pazhani Subramaniam Pillai

Post by rajeshnat »

The write up of the restoration of rare PSP video that came up in The Hindu on June 2018 is in http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 064176.ece

The actual Psp video in 1960 taken from a dindugal concert that is restored with video and audio from two sources of the same concert.
The you tube video is in the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Lfh8b6KI0

Congratulations on restoring my favourite #1 mrudanga vidwan PSP. The team of Kalidas Sir, LalithaRam ramachandran, Akshay Anand(not Akshay kumar) are folks whom I know.There is also mention of G Sridhar kumar whose dad vs gopal learnt from PSP. I donot know this mrudangam vidwan G Sridhar Kumar. Certainly great to see their labor of love towards PSP.

In the restored video of 1960 ,Mahavidwan PSP is assisted by Young to be soon doyen Trichy Sankaran Sir. They are performing for Kalyanakrishna bhagavathar in vocal with lalgudi jayaraman sir playing fiddle . Treat to watch and hear.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 06 Jun 2018, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

anand_900315

Post by anand_900315 »

Please read "Akshay Kumar" as "Akshay Anand" who is a disciple of KS Kalidas. Also Lines from Hindu Article "Mr Kalidas, who took the help of fellow mridangist Akshay Kumar" should read "Mr Kalidas, who took the help of his disciple Akshay Anand".

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

anand_900315 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 13:56 Please read "Akshay Kumar" as "Akshay Anand" who is a disciple of KS Kalidas. Also Lines from Hindu Article "Mr Kalidas, who took the help of fellow mridangist Akshay Kumar" should read "Mr Kalidas, who took the help of his disciple Akshay Anand".
Thanks anand I corrected . Let our art and artist take no help from Akshay Kumar of bollywood. May be ace hindu write S kolappan who equally writes for cinema and music got crossed with name.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A solo from Youtube (main artiste is MMI) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c9j_Eu9YRw

An excerpt of the DVD : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJJ7rcrQFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZaHi4m9iY

Many more out there.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Way back in 2011, PSP biography by lalitharam ramachandran was released, i did not see the below link of PSP in this thread yet. We can get some details about parivadhini founder lalitharam ramachandran. I loved the thamizh biography written by lalitharam ramachandran , took me few months to read but that was fantastic material.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 704665.ece

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A duet between the two titans, with Pazhani on the kanjira : https://soundcloud.com/irreverentguru/p ... -mridangam

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Documentary on the Mahavidwan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxsi9rJYl-4

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Thank you!