K.V.Narayanaswamy

Carnatic Musicians
cacm

Re: K.V.Narayanaswamy

Post by cacm »

HVS is a PRODIGY; Since almost his birth he was precocious& brilliant. He grew up in East Coast (near Poughkeepsie) & KVN had a great liking to him. Similarly Shashank was also taught by KVN. THERE ARE MANY OTHERS like this but HVS IS A TRUE KVN DISCIPLE CAPABLE of learning what KVN had to offer. BOTTOM LINE IS if one is SERIOUS about Carnatic Music one CANNOT ESCAPE ARI & KVN & their GENUINE CLASSICISM.IT SPEAKS VOLUMES OF KVN'S GENIUS HE DEVELPOED HIS OWN BANI! VKV

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

VKV Sir Your appreciation means a lot. Looking forward to your article on Dr Brown

KNV

cacm

Post by cacm »

KNV1955 wrote:VKV Sir Your appreciation means a lot. Looking forward to your article on Dr Brown

KNV
Dear KNV,
I am in the process of writing but CLEVELAND activities are right now priority. SO PLEASE BE PATIENT. I WANT TO DO A THOROUGH JOB. VKV

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

KNV-You are right on the dot when it comes to adherence to srithi-- KVN was my sister's teacher in the Fifties when he was living in New Street,Mandaveli--despite his familiarity with our family he was always punctual,no small talk,insisted that the previous lesson be repeated to his satisfaction before he proceeded.
In the early 2000's whenever I visited Chennai I used to catch a couple of concerts--he was totally immersed in the music--I asked him for some tips on holding the breath during "Karvais"(my wife tells me I am usually "long-winded while I talk--so if I can reduce my talking she says my karvais would be longer--that is another story anyway!!! Over the phone in Chennai he gave a demo asking me to progressively increase the karvai in intervals--each time holding it a little longer instead of trying to "belt" it out in one swoop--not that I have gotten better at it now(how can you teach an "old dog" new tricks--apparently KVN believed it can be done!!!
In my opinion Hemmige Srivatsa is the MOST AUTHENTIC follower of KVN in every way--he sometimes goes to the extent of asserting that he would not want to listen to others--be it the violin playing or vocal he has absorbed the essence of KVN's music. Aswath Narayan has ways to go-ofcourse I am not taking anything away from him(we arranged for him to sing for my late father's 100th birthday celebrations in last August--that was the first time I heard him in person--if y ou put the curtain down you would swear it was KVN singing!!).
On a personal note when he visited US in the late 70's at a chamber concert in Long Island, he asked me if I would play the kanjira with Ramnad Raghavan on the mridangam--he assumed that because my brother was a Mridngam player--learnt under PMI--that I could also play. I politely declined--that "indiscretion" on the part of KVN to even suggest that I could play would have been unforgiven by the Carnatic Music World had I succumbed to his overture!!!

A great artist who gave 100% on the stage whether he was in the forefront or in the back!! His climb to fame was not easy--I have never seen an artiste who worked harder at his craft than KVN and who worshipped his Guru(Ariyakudi)putting up with a lot of pinpricks characteristic of Gurukulavasam endemic in those days Despite his relationship to PMI he never took anything for granted--SSI used to compliment KVN as Musician of Musicians".A dispassionate learner that he was he learnt some of the pieces for which the Dhanammal family had a virtual monopoly--despite the fact that the schools were very different-At Wesleyan he learnt a good name thro his teaching.

Just listen to his Eppo varuvaro @ the Cleveland Festival(a popular download in You Tube)--Gopala Krishna Bharathi would have been moved to tears!!

advaitin

Post by advaitin »

RMK

that eppo varuvaro is what i posted, the post just before yours :)

Ramasubramanian M.K

Advaitin: Sorry!! My oversight but it gave me an excuse to listen to it for the nth time!!!

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGdx2uyOr0Q

Saramathi & Kapi from Thyagaraja Aradhana

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Concert 267-KS Narayanaswamy-veena
His birth day on 27-09-2014-Centenary year
listen at:

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/09 ... art-x.html

01-tharuni_varnam_kAmbhoji-ponnuswAmy
02-rAmarAma_guNasIma-simhEndramadhyamam-swAtitirunAl
03-Sadhinchane-Arabhi-Adhi-Tyagaraja
04-Kaligiyunte-Keeravani-Adhi-Tyagaraja
05-manasu_svAdhinamaina-shankarAbharaNam-tyAgarAja
06-Varali-Adhi-Tyagaraja
07-sItapatte_nA_manasuna-khamAs-tyAgarAja
08-marivEre_gati_evarammA-Anandabhairavi-syAmA_sAstri

venkatakailasam

bombal

Post by bombal »

Mahavidwan K V Narayanaswamy with H V Srivatsan and Bombay Balaji @ the Bharatiya Music and Arts Society, Bombay as part of the Sri Rama Bhagavathar centenary celebrations in the year 1990.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iki458b6y94am ... 0.MP3?dl=0

:namaste:

venkatakailasam

Request Join the group ...Palghat K.V. Narayanaswamy...At FB...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/386866851391230/

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Some tech savvy guys have started a "Listen 2 MY Radio" on Palghat KV Narayanaswamy. The prog is broadcast twice a week from 9 PM to 10 PM. You can find on facebook at: facebook.com/palghatkvn.The next broadcast is on Sat.

KNV

CRama

Post by CRama »

Bombay Balaji, Thanks for your upload of that KVN concert. I am just listening to the great RTP in Kharaharapiya. I have never heard RTP in KHP by KVN. Your accompaniment is most appropriate and lilely also. Whenever you get some time, kindly do share such gems with us. Thanks once again.

bombal

Post by bombal »

thank you CRama sir...

namaste

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

bombal wrote:Mahavidwan K V Narayanaswamy with H V Srivatsan and Bombay Balaji @ the Bharatiya Music and Arts Society, Bombay as part of the Sri Rama Bhagavathar centenary celebrations in the year 1990.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iki458b6y94am ... 0.MP3?dl=0

:namaste:
Thanks a lot Balaji sir for sharing this great concert of the MASTER !! ... I have been listening this for last 3 days and addicted... Please do share your memories and other finer details of manodharma aspects of this concert (layam part of it, from neraval, swarams esp, since you played mridangam...)

A great kalyani (bhajre chitta) and kharaharapriya RTP by KVN mama... with kanavendamo, irakkam varamal etc.... and immortal viriboni !!

Loved the kalyani and KHP alapana... Thanam didn't go well with me, lot of akara phrases like alapana..

pallavi is grand, with good use of swaraksharas (on sa, ma and ni).... Rama ni samanam evvaru, samanam evaru, samanam evaru in tisra triputa, 2 kalai... samam eduppu (hope it is right) since the sahityam part has samanam !! great ragamalika pallavi and swarams in varali, atana and behag...

I am hearing two thillanas ! I'm sure they are not from same concert.. you may confirm

Master sings janaranjani filler... has done any detailed alapana in this ragam? Would love to hear...

bombal

Post by bombal »

thank you pattamaa...

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Balaji, you are indeed fortunate to have accompanied such greats.

bombal

Post by bombal »

thank you mahavishnu

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuykK20 ... e=youtu.be

An interview of Sri K.V.Narayanaswamy in Malayalam. Sourced from an old VHS tape.
K V Narayanaswamy

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

pattamaa wrote: Loved the kalyani and KHP alapana... Thanam didn't go well with me, lot of akara phrases like alapana..

Pattamaa, I would like to hear you sing Thanam one day. Maybe Sri KVN could have learnt a thing or two from you. Who knows, maybe even Ariyakkudi himself could have gotten a couple of pointers on good singing from you. Unfortunately they aren't present to hear your gems!

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear KNV,
VERYGOOD & RELEVENT POINTS. It would be nice if you can copy& paste this in the ARI SECTION TOO. VKV

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

advaitam wrote:

Pattamaa, I would like to hear you sing Thanam one day. Maybe Sri KVN could have learnt a thing or two from you. Who knows, maybe even Ariyakkudi himself could have gotten a couple of pointers on good singing from you. Unfortunately they aren't present to hear your gems!
sure, most welcome, when i perform next, i will post it in events and announcement section.

Not sure about nit-pick. I just commented on what my preference is in thanam singing.. I admire and an ardent fan of Sri KVN, and his music. I couldn't understand what is your concern about...

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

They will broadcasting some gems of Sri KVN via internet radio this Friday. The link is - http://palghatkvn.listen2myradio.com/ Broadcast date and time: 13/03/'15 - 8:30 pm IST. You can follow the event on Facebook too. The link is - https://www.facebook.com/events/1614650592091573/

shanks

Post by shanks »

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

pattamaa wrote:I am hearing two thillanas ! I'm sure they are not from same concert.. you may confirm
Pattamaa - Both thillanas are from the same concert. Sri KVN has sung 2 thillanas in a concert on other occasions too. It was the charm of his spontaneity. Here are a couple of other concerts where he sang multiple thillanas :-

Venue: Unknown
Date: 06.03.1959
Accompanists:
T.N.Krishnan - Violin
Palghat Mani Iyer - Mridangam
01. Era Naapai (Varnam) - Todi - Adi - Patnam Subrahmanya Iyer
02. Samaja Varada - Suddha Saveri - Rupakam - Ramanathapuram Srinivasa Iyengar
03. Raghuvara Nannu - Kamavardhini - Adi - Tyagaraja Swami
04. Thanayuni Brova - Bhairavi - Adi - Tyagaraja Swami
05. Karuna Samudra - Devagandhari - Adi - Tyagaraja Swami
06. Emi Jesitenemi - Todi - Mishra Chapu - Tyagaraja Swami [Followed by Thani]
07. Ela Nee Dayaraadu - Athaana - Adi - Tyagaraja Swami
08. Nirupamaana Saami (Javali) - Behag - Rupakam - Ramanathapuram Srinivasa Iyengar
09. Marulukonnadira (Javali) - Khamas - Adi - Ramanathapuram Srinivasa Iyengar
10. Ongi Ulagalandha (Thiruppavai-Viruttham) - Ragamalika (Kaapi, Dhanyasi, Surutti, Sindhubhairavi) - Andal
11. Raamanai Tharuvaai - Sindhubhairavi - Adi - Arunachala Kavi
12. Jagadoddharana - Hindustani Kaapi - Adi - Purandaradasa
13. Kumaragurupara (Thiruppugazh) - Senchurutti - Arunagirinathar
14. Thillana - Bilahari - Adi - Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iyengar
15. Thillana - Poornachandrika - Adi - Ramanathapuram Srinivasa Iyengar
16. Vangakkadal Kadaindha (Thiruppavai) - Surutti - Rupakam - Andal
17. Sri Ramachandra (Shlokam) - Madhyamavati

Venue: Somewhere in the USA
Date: ?-?-1993
Accompanists:
Padma Narayanaswamy - Vocal Support
Nagai Muralidharan - Violin
Vellore Ramabhadran - Mridangam
01. Viriboni (Varnam) - Bhairavi - Khanda Ata - Pacchimiriam Adiyappaiya
02. Siddhivinayakam - Chaamaram - Rupakam - Muttuswami Dikshitar
03. Rama Nannu Brovara - Harikambhoji - Rupakam - Tyagaraja Swami
04. Nee Bhakti Bhaagya Sudha - Jayamanohari - Rupakam - Tyagaraja Swami
05. Deva Deva Jagadeeshwara - Poorvikalyani - Adi - Maharaja Swati Tirunal
06. Ekkaalatthilum Maravene - Nattakurinji - Tishra Eka - Ramaswami Sivan
07. Ninne Nammitinaiyya - Simhendramadhyamam - Mishra Chapu - Mysore Vasudevachar [Followed by Thani]
08. Kandavarkku Kanavilum - Kuntalavarali - Adi - Dr. V.V.Swarna Venkatesha Dikshitar
09. Vidajaaladura - Janaranjani - Adi - Tyagaraja Swami
10. Ragam-Tanam-Pallavi (Govindanadi Mukundanadi Enakkavar Sondhamadi) - Bhairavi - Rupakam [Ragamalika Swaras: Varali, Athaana, Saama, Behag]
11. Kandu Dhanyanaade - Behag - Rupakam - Anandadasa
12. Thillana - Yadukulakambhoji - Khanda Triputa - Ramanathapuram Srinivasa Iyengar
13. Thillana - Kanada - Adi (Tishra Gati) - Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iyengar
Nee Nama Roopamulaku (Mangalam) - Saurashtram - Adi - Tyagaraja Swami

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

good to hear that, both thillanas are composed by his guru and parama guru :)

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

They will be broadcasting some select renditions of Sri KVN on Lord Rama on tonight's "KVN Radio", at 8:30 pm IST. The radio link is: http://palghatkvn.listen2myradio.com/

The event can also be followed on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1411210159188905/

advaitam

Post by advaitam »

The perfectly cultured voice was stilled on this day, 13 years ago...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1609414709296130

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good to hear from you KNV, and that too with a treat--every time I hear kaNDu dhanyanAde from him, it's a joy.

Is it your son that I see there, the one who put it up on Youtube?

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Yes Arasi Avargale

KNV

Ramasubramanian M.K

Thanks KNV for that posting!!
Anybody who knows nothing about CM and wants to hear something good to "stimulate' his/her passion for CM should listen to just this artist and this song.He/She will be hooked for ever!!!

As they say in Tamil,'ORU PAANAI SOTRIKKU Oru SHORU PADAM".

Young Vidyarthis to note: How long KVN Sir is able to hold the Kaarvai in the Anupallavi-- without the "hisses" that follow a long-winded note- that is due to sheer practice not some God-given gift or special "LUNGS"!!!!!

KVN Sir is one of the rare "breeds" that were equally good at Teaching as well as Singing

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

KNV1955,
Enjoyed. Many thanx for sharing.
Thanjavooran
08 03 2016

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

14 years back, the World was left bereft of one of the most beautiful voices to have ever sung South Indian Music. In connection with the 14th remembrance day of The Master, we offer an old radio concert of his. The accompanists: Sri V. Thyagarajan (violin) and Sri Palghat R.Raghu (mridangam). The songs featured are:
Sri Chamundeshwari Devi - Kannada - Mysore Maharaja
Palukavademira - Devamanohari - Mysore Vasudevachar
Brochevaarevarura - Khamas - Mysore Vasudevachar

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 80TgFh0NiI

Ramasubramanian M.K

KNV1955: I AGREE!!! HE WAS A TRUE NADAYOGI--impeccable in his attention to the nuances of our music and adherence to the Padantharam and yet never hamstrung by it!! he was a great teacher too(my sister was his student in the fifties when he lived in New Street in mandaveli).he was very austere in his eating and general habits and I always thought he would live longer--78 years were too young for a man of his musical calibre and habits.

shibi

Post by shibi »

KVN sings Omana Thingal Kidavo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m385MAmXwi0

The master sings this so beautifully. Be it the most complicated neraval or a sangathi less lullaby, KVN does it best.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Wonderful.!!!! great channel too !!!!
Led me to a treasure of Puducode-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOEXh6w1dYY
cant thank you enough

shibi

Post by shibi »

Are there any recordings of KVN singing Kshira Sagara Sayana in Devagandhari? Searching through Sangeethapriya it seems like there are mostly recordings of Enneramum Unthan Sannidhiyil. Also, are there any recordings of KVN singing Sahana ( Sangeethapriya has a few RTP Sahana) but I am looking for songs, particularly Tyagaraja songs.

Devyani phadnis

Post by Devyani phadnis »

Hello everyone...I wanted to know the meaning of sumasayaka varnam (swathi thirunal).. what is the meaning of last stanza that is. Manani ihate tapam?????? Plz help

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

In the following concert, an upload in sangeethapriya.org,
(concert 282 by Sri.HMG Murthy)
the rendering of the kruthi at 09_nannu_pAlimpa-mOhanam-tyAgarAja,
particularly the niraval is out of the world.

However the it is incomplete.

I request Varsha ji may upload the complete version of
'nannu palimpa', if it is available.

KV Narayanaswamy
Mysore Nagaraj - Violin
Bangalore-1987

01_vanajAkshi_ninnE_kOri-kalyANi-pallavi_gOpAla_iyer
02_nAda_tanumaniSam-cittaranjani-tyAgarAja
03_sAdincine_O_manasa-Arabhi-tyAgarAja
04_tyAgarAja_gurum_Ashraye-kEdAram-m_d_rAmanAthan
05_ela_nI_dayarAdu-aTANA-tyAgarAja
06_nambi_keTTavarillavO-kalyANi-purandaradAsa
07_shrInivAsa_tava_caranam-kharaharapriya-p_shivan
08_OrajUpu_cUcEdi_nyAyamA-kannaDagauLa-tyAgarAja
09_nannu_pAlimpa-mOhanam-tyAgarAja
10_brOvavamma_tAmasa-mAnji-shyAmA_shAstri
11_shri_rangapura_vihAra-brindAvana_saranga-m_dIkshitar
12_paramAtmudu_velige-vAgadIshwari-tyAgarAja
13_mAtA_rAmO_matpitA-rAmarakshA_stotram-rAmanai_taruvai-arunAcala_kavi
14_krsNA_nI_begane_bAro-yamnunAkalyANi-vyAsarAya
15_mAmava_pattAbhirAma-maNirangu-m_dIkshitar-jagaSayino_mangaLam

varsha

Post by varsha »

I request Varsha ji may upload the complete version of 'nannu palimpa', if it is available.
https://archive.org/details/09NanuPAlim ... mTyAgarAja

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Thank You very much, Varsha Ji for sharing the beautiful Mohanam by KVN.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXH3LLV9OY

Amazing krithi! Mandaradhara Sundaratara by KVN

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

"This video is unavailable."

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

kvchellappa wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 06:59 "This video is unavailable."
Really? The vid is still up. Maybe the link doesn't work?
Try searching title on youtube:

KV Narayanaswamy - Mandara Dhara Sundaratara - Todi - Swatithirunal

KTBR

Post by KTBR »

▶ KV Narayanaswamy - Mandara Dhara Sundaratara - Todi - Swatithirunal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXH3LLV9OYY

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Today is KVN's 94 Birth Anniversary. Enjoy listening to this lovely Bhairavi Kriti "Tana Youni Brova" accompanied by Chowdaiha & brilliant Mridangam support of Mani Iyer. Mani Iyer has virtually played the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flXFHPb8JjM

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

A seemingly new ( as of yet unpublished) AIR broadcast is available in youtube and also saw it in Sangeethapriya ( with April 24th as the date of upload)

Navarathri Mantapam c 1986. Acompanists : VVS and TKM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1oAVVzvyJU