Karaikurchi Arunachalam - KalpanAteetha Music

Carnatic Musicians
shankarank

Re: Karaikurchi Arunachalam - KalpanAteetha Music

Post by shankarank »

There from @varsha

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27164&p=297967&hili ... al#p297967

If it is 05 - there could be 4 more before that. Since most links dropbox and sendspace must have expired. Here is an unexpired link.

https://archive.org/details/KaraikurchiConcert05

One anecdote about him. I have heard a very senior rasika who hailed from paavoor in that region, tell me once: whenever Thiru aruNAcalam felt hungry , he will say Shanmugam koopidutu (Lord Shanmuga is calling!)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The Music Academy guest speaker of 2019 sadas, Suresh Krishna quotes his mother Smt. Ambujam Krishna from her notebook of compositions. At his request , she made anecdotes on when and what situations she was inspired to compose. One of them is the vIti ulA (procession of the deity) of PerumAL at Thirukurungudi , a garuDa sevai. She noted that the composition came to her listening to Thiru Karukucci AruNacalam playing for the vIti ulA.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Continuing Ku. Azhagirisami's article from last page:

Friendliness was Arunachalam's hallmark. Even in a big crowd he would spot those whom he knew and would take pleasure in conversing with them. Even after the passage of many years, he remembered them. One can find only a handful of such vidvans with humility in tamizhnadu.
Arunachalam had come to give a concert in Chennai in December 1958 at the All India Writers Conference. I was in the hall conversing with ti.ja.ra, Chidambara Subramanian, Sundara Ramaswamy and others when Arunachalam arrived. I had not met him in ten years or so and he was at the acme of fame then. Would he still be as friendly as before, I wondered, but he eagerly walked up to me and spoke warmly to me. I introduced ti.ja.ra and chidambara Subramanian to him. The latter said: After Rajarathinam, you are the one who's playing the instrument like no one else now. When you play, we feel as if we are listening to him.
Arunachalam protested and said repeatedly: oh no, there are many vidvans who can play the nadaswaram much better than I do. To this day, it gives me goosebumps when think about it.
ti.ja.ra had requested him to play the English note that day. What he played was matchless. I hadn't heard even his guru play it that vividly.
Arunachalam sang as beautifully as he played the nadaswaram. While singing, he would pause every now and then, get emotional and say: you should have heard my guru play this! He would marvel at his guru and uphold him as a genius.
To Arunachalam, his guru was his very soul and the god that he bowed to, and the guru had as much love for his student.
Whenever Rajarathinam came to play in and around Tirunelveli, Arunachalam was in attendance. When his guru had another student accompanying him on stage, he would sit at the rear end of the stage and listen.
Before the concert ended, two things happened without fail. His guru would beckon him to come to the front and ask him to massage his tired fingers. Then he would ask Arunachalam to play with him for half an hour. This happened whether the organizers had asked for it or not.
When Rajarathinam Pillai had come to Malaya to perform, I said to him: there's no boundary to the devotion Arunachalam has for you. He laughed and said: that's why he plays so well. He was happy and proud. I added: his vocal music is wonderful too. Rajarathinam said: really? I had no idea!
In 1946, when Arunachalam's brother in law's brother got married, he was there and we asked him to sing. He sang Natabhairavi for nearly one and a half hours. "I would have given vocal performances too, but I was hesitant that my guru might feel that I wouldn't give as much attention to my nadaswaram playing if I took that up," he said.
He had a beautifully sweet voice, the tone of which enhanced it even more. He would employ all sangatis of the nadaswaram in his singing. He handled difficult piDis effortlessly with the richness of his voice and vivid imagination.
Something of a feat only possible for Rajarathinam, Vilathikulam Nallasami Pandian, M.S. Subbulakshmi and a few others.
Whenever his guru played in Koilpatti area, Arunachalam informed us, the friends circle without fail and asked us not to
miss the concert. If he himself had an engagement for which he had to travel through our region, he would find an hour or more to stop by. He would ask us: do you want me to sing? I get the chance to sing rare classical rAgAs to you. In many concerts, the requests are mostly for cinema songs and maguDi...We would take pleaure in asking him to sing rAgAs like Kanakangi, Ratnangi, Vakulabharanam, ramanArAyaNi and such. He would steep us in joy and continue on his journey.
Many such memories of Arunachalam as I knew him as a friend come flooding to me. When I think of his endearing qualities, his demise brings me great sorrow. The music world has lost a treasure in his passing away.
Those of us who moved with him in his younger days feel the loss of a friend of our youth. He possessed precious and great qualities too. Our richesse, one of India's treasure is gone. May his soul rest in peace.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi
Great posts. I personally like karaikurichi bit more than some times TNR . There is so much melody and sowkhyam with too much tear in your ears , when sangathis are even fast ones .One of my favourite is Karaikurichi playing huseni with a lovely alapana and an extraordinary sadguru rAMA ninnE krithi in huseni with rapid fire swaras .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IViKFTt-JVY

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I’ve been listening to KA in the last few days, and I’m just happy to have found someone who plays with swara Shuddhi. But I’m not sure I enjoy this style of constant speed. I’m still listening to hear more, though.

I tried to record a “like” on Arasi’s post. I get an error msg. Are others having this experience?
Last edited by Ranganayaki on 13 Apr 2020, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I also got the like error
AJAX ERROR
The routing file "/home/ramsur/rasikas.org/forums/ext/shredder/sitemap/config/routing.yml" contains unsupported keys for "shredder_sitemap_controller": "pattern". Expected one of: "resource", "type", "prefix", "path", "host", "schemes", "methods", "defaults", "requirements", "options", "condition", "controller".

Mods
Please fix

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Though several of our old musicians were known to be disciples who worshipped their gurus, as I was translating, I thought of Madurai Somu.. As I skimmed through the thread on him, which ends(for the moment) with Lalitharam's impressive work on him, many other posts caught my attention. One of our valuable senior members, dear departed Venkatakailasam has brought us countless pieces here andso many on his blog-- has a post where he mentions Somu's singing often his composition in Abheri about SIva and Vishnu, and also of his own devotion to his guru. Of course, many of the posts there speak of his ardor...

shanks

Post by shanks »

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

If it was physically possible - I will meet each one of you and share this story in person.

For now, here is the link (In Tamil):

https://solvanam.com/2021/03/14/%e0%ae% ... %e0%ae%be/

CRama

Post by CRama »

LALITHARAM, the story was very touching. Thanks a lot.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lalitharam
Reading what you wrote in #64 appears like a story that appears in films . But it is a true anecdote. Music is all about having a scarcity to start with . Shri vembu had the scarcity. If there is maniyachi, kadayanallur and other hamlets are the rasikas base , just see then at that era . For some one to earn say close to 1000 bucks is equivalent to may be 7 lakh rupees as of now . I know in 1950s to 1960s one ground of land in porur or valasarawakkam or ambatur was just few thousands then.

But right now how many have an inclination to hear even once Karaikurichi to hear the depth of Carnatic music . What a musician was Karaikurichi , his huseni always rings my ears when i heard for the first time .

As usual your post in #64 was well written and it appears too good to be true.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Rajesh: I heard this story during my recent trip in search of the maestro.

First part of the travelogue can be read here: https://solvanam.com/2021/03/14/%e0%ae% ... %e0%ae%bf/

RSR

Post by RSR »

just a story - nothing more. Would be good if the lqst para is removed.
It is such additions , which over time, become 'history' while being just myths born out of a writer's imagination.
Janakiraman , the writer would never have passed it off as real incident.

rajeshnat

Karaikurchi Arunachalam

Post by rajeshnat »

Lalitharam,
I know for sure that you have done due diligence . If i did Sound i was questioning i was not. RSR may have a different opinion . The last para is indeed a great gesture for a true artist to reciprocate with a true rasika. Shri Vembu financials was easily guessed by Karaikurichi and after he came to know he reciprocated and only revealed by action. Neither the artist or the rasika indulged in empty talk.

For many in that era , CM indeed was very deep in their psyche that too with zero globalization distraction. Once I heard from some rasika in madras about 15 years back , he said to me that in a congress meeting in 1950s or 1960s, karaikurichi was slated to play in that Congress Meeting where Jawaharlal Nehru made a remark saying the crowd has come to hear karaikurchi (Have you heard this you are deep may be you already know that share that anecdote) .

In my era through the forum and anecdotes of many in this forum and sangeetham.com .For eg Tanjore Ananda lodge Kittappa for GNB Music etc. Once i talked with Arusuvai Natarajan for his adulation of Madurai Somu .Even our own VK Viswanathan Sir had the same love for Madurai Mani. Karaikurchi was in the near same anthasthu as GNB or MMI or even MS Subhalakshmi but this era being different not many will relate Karaikurchi as much as GNB, MMI or MS Amma etc .

It is nice for you to bring in these anecdotes. keep writing and share more.

parivadini

Re: Karaikurchi Arunachalam

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 15:53 Lalitharam,
I know for sure that you have done due diligence . If i did Sound i was questioning i was not. RSR may have a different opinion . The last para is indeed a great gesture for a true artist to reciprocate with a true rasika. Shri Vembu financials was easily guessed by Karaikurichi and after he came to know he reciprocated and only revealed by action. Neither the artist or the rasika indulged in empty talk.

For many in that era , CM indeed was very deep in their psyche that too with zero globalization distraction. Once I heard from some rasika in madras about 15 years back , he said to me that in a congress meeting in 1950s or 1960s, karaikurichi was slated to play in that Congress Meeting where Jawaharlal Nehru made a remark saying the crowd has come to hear karaikurchi (Have you heard this you are deep may be you already know that share that anecdote) .

In my era through the forum and anecdotes of many in this forum and sangeetham.com .For eg Tanjore Ananda lodge Kittappa for GNB Music etc. Once i talked with Arusuvai Natarajan for his adulation of Madurai Somu .Even our own VK Viswanathan Sir had the same love for Madurai Mani. Karaikurchi was in the near same anthasthu as GNB or MMI or even MS Subhalakshmi but this era being different not many will relate Karaikurchi as much as GNB, MMI or MS Amma etc .

It is nice for you to bring in these anecdotes. keep writing and share more.
Rajesh: What you say is indeed true. This anecdote is already recorded in a magazine decades ago and is laso documented in a documentary movie produced in the nineties. Karukuruchi family in Tirunelveli were kind enough to share them with me during my recent trip.

On the Nehru remark: Karukurichi was closely associated with Congress (He chose to wear only Khadi from the 1950s - he had played in several inaugural public functions including the famous 1955 Avadi Congress). In the post-independence years, there was a time when Nehru was the chief guest for 3/4 events within a span of few weeks in which Karukuruchi Arunachalam was to play a concert. Nehru has remarked that, "I know that this huge crowd is gathered not to listen to me but to listen to Karukuruchi Arunachalam."

I do understand that the rasikas who turn ecstatic about Nehru's remark on MSS that he is just a Prime Minister in front of the melody queen would find it difficult to digest that the then Prime Minister would have showered such compliments on the maestro.

On rasikas taking the extra step - I do think such people exist even today. I have been a beneficiary of such benevolence - despite me being just a curious rasika (and not a performer).

RSR

Post by RSR »

p-70
----
Mr.'PARIVAADHINI'- You may not know that I am an admirer of your values and activities. and am a regular reader of your writings since varalaaru com days. I like your style of thamizh writing. Also, I share your admiration of Naagaswaram players. and steps that you are taking to promote it. I am all admiration and respect for your efforts to help indigent artistes through your trust.
That said, as a writer occasionally given to hype, imitating Janakiraman in style, ( I have read ALL his writings even from the days when they were serialized) , I do feel that you are crossing the line. -- sensationalism stuff.
-----
I am revolted by your outburst in your post which you had the good sense to remove. My posts are not meant for currying favour with anybody. ' Do not have pent up emotions'. Pipe down
Atleast , I lived in those years from 1945 to 1965 with sensitivity to political , literary and cultural/ spiritual environment of those decades.
Hype is the worst enemy of admiring any person.
Your 'story' in 'solvanam' is ok as a story.. but the incident of Vembu Iyer selling his wife's 'thaali' to raise funds is a bit too much . And how could the Vidwan get to know and arrange to return it? Sounds like a figment of imagination . Seriously, you cannot expect everyone to verify things. Not worth it. Just add a disclaimer that it is a story .
Gandhiji is said to have remarked about Jawaharlal Nehru that people throng Nehru's meetings just to look at him though they may not understand his speech and message atall.
Such hyped stories are irritating. and unrelated to serious appreciation. Just because, certain stories had appeared in magazines , or even books, they do not become facts. Nor do they really matter much.
My remark was not about Kaarukurichi Arunaachalam but about the last line in your story.
Smt.MS you may not know, was much more than a musician. She had very advanced political views as well , not known to many. She differed with the politics of Rajaji in later years. which she had revealed in an interview with Mr. V.Srinivasan. ( not her grandson).

As you are very much young- around 45 if I am not mistaken, you are just relying on second-hand reports and reminiscences.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

RSR - I agree with the "crossing the line" part in your post. Thankfully we have a ignore option. I am going to use that option for your posts. Feel free to use yours (May be - I shouldn't advise you as you have been there and done that. My apologies!) This will be my last response on this subject.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

RSR wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 17:07 Hype is the worst enemy of admiring any person.
Your 'story' in 'solvanam' is ok as a story.. but the incident of Vembu Iyer selling his wife's 'thaali' to raise funds is a bit too much . And how could the Vidwan get to know and arrange to return it? Sounds like a figment of imagination . Seriously, you cannot expect everyone to verify things. Not worth it. Just add a disclaimer that it is a story .
RSR,
1. Anecdotes of 1950s picked up by a guy Lalitharam who is born may be late 1970s or early 1980s is itself rare that too on a forgottten subset of nadaswaram is indeed very very rare.

2. He has taken all pains to document some layman (Mr Vembu)who sells POli in a small town but wishes deep inside to associate the great karaikurichi to play in his small home town.

3. He gives another writeup to state additionally all the information that Mrs Vembu gives thali which as per you , you donot have problem

Till that you believe no qualms for you

4. What you dont believe is Karaikurichi knowing that incident has gone possibly to the pawn broker to get back Mrs Vembu's thaali and gives back the thaali at the end of his concert . Karakurichi has not revealed how he got it and all this incident just happened and all of them moved on with their daily lives.

Only #4 , you donot believe . It is ok for you not to believe it . Keep it either 99 1 or 50 50.It is an anecdote where lalitharam also has given photos , digged archives and found out as best he could . The key is as best as he could . There is no way even if a billion dollars is given to Lalitharam he can bring proof.

All these questioning we can do it for any anecdotes comparing to possibly many reel stories and there is no fact checking . We can apply to any anecdotes from 1940s till say backtrack to 1700s .

It all boils down to you knowing bit more about lalitharam and his credentials over the period of few decades. He takes time , collates and puts all that he knows and shares even those photos who shared who are mostly in their 80 plus in age who are all spread mostly in rural tamilnadu . You can just take it or leave it . I can for sure say If it is falsehood and if lalitharam knows bit later , he will be the first person to write that and redact it. Period.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Thavil Maestro Thanjavur Govindarajan's reminiscences on Karukuruchi Arunachalam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joEXEemiO10

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Here's Tamil writer Ku.Azagirisami's article ( in Tamil ) which Arasi had translated last year.( i read her request to me to give this link , only now.)
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/04/1512-225.html

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Gramophone Records :-

(1)
7EPE 1605
HMV
KP Arunachalam
Raga Arabi

(2)
EALP 1284
HMV
Karukurichi P Arunachalam
Nadesawara (Rama Ninne; Ela Nee Daya Radhu ; Sarasijanaba ; Vee Vasudha Chakkani Raja; Mamavathu Sri)

(3)
EALP 1287
HMV
Samaja Varagamana

(4)
MOAE 157
Odeon
Nagaswaram

(5)
ECLP 40555
HMV
An All India Radio Release

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Pasupathy wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 06:10 Here's Tamil writer Ku.Azagirisami's article ( in Tamil ) which Arasi had translated last year.( i read her request to me to give this link , only now.)
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/04/1512-225.html
Here's the article mentioned by Ku.Azagirisami in the above article:
1845. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 277
காருகுறிச்சி சகோதரர்களின் நாதஸ்வர கானம்
ஈ.கிருஷ்ணய்யர்

https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2021/04/1845-277.html

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

78 rpm records of Karaikurchi Arunachalam (all HMV label):

N98047 - rAmA ninnE (husEni)
N98054 - cinnam siru kiLiyE
N 98056 - aThANA (Ela nI dayarAdu), nAgagAndhAri (sarasijanAbha sOdari)
N98062 - shahAnA (I vasuda nIvaNTi)
N98088 - hindOLa (mAmavatu shrI)
Extended play Series:
7 EPE 61 - kharaharapriyA (cakkani rAja)
7EPE 1605 -Arabhi (sAdincenE)

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

last installment on the travelogue here: https://solvanam.com/2021/04/10/%e0%ae% ... 0%ae%bf-3/

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

My analysis of Karukuruchi's music based on the recordings we have: https://solvanam.com/2022/07/10/%e0%ae% ... %e0%af%81/

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

ஒரு ராகத்தில் வழக்கமான சஞ்சாரங்களுக்கு நடுவே அவர் வெளிப்படுத்தும் கம்பிதங்கள் (உதாரணமாய் கரஹரப்ரியாவில் ‘ரி-கா’) வேறு நாகஸ்வர கலைஞர்களிடம் அதிகம் கேட்கக் கிடைக்காதவை. இசையறிஞர் டாக்டர் என்.இராமநாதன் ஓர் உரையில், “கர்நாடக சங்கீதத்துக்கு உரிய காலபிரமாணம் மத்தியம காலமென்பர். ஆனால் பல கமகங்கள் மிளிர்வது சவுக்க கால பிரயோகங்களில்தான். கர்நாடக சங்கீத கச்சேரிகளில் இது ஒரு அடிப்படை முரண்’, என்கிறார். காருகுறிச்சியார் துரிதமான சஞ்சாரங்கள் வாசிக்கும் போது, அதனுடன் ஒலிக்கும் ‘துரித கம்பிதங்கள்’ முரணின்றி மிளிர்பவை.
That ri-ga is so rare because it is problematic and it does not allow variations. In the vikruthi zone having a constraint like that kills any expression. His cakkani raja whizzes past us ( oru mAdhiri ceeti adiccu viTTA mAdiri). But how come his bhairavi (identified as nI Vanti daivamu) is a poised rendition?

Even with slower speed that kampita is not going to add any further substance in karaharapriya. For, his Bhairavi finds it's own level speed! So there is really no conflict here. It depends on the capability of instrument and then the musician.

Shows more and more that Karahapriya is not a raga.

The terminology for real rAgAs itself is unfavorable. "Vakra sampURNam" as though going straight is somehow always the norm. anuvAda-kramam would be a better term indicating the real intent.

And then if the madyamkAla kriti has good viSrama embedded, speed itself is not a hindrance! The former provides the space for expression.

Question: Did Thiru Karukkuricciar also use some special treatment , like wax in his instrument? Like it is said of his Guru?