01-rAma_bhakti_sAmrAjya-shuddhabangALa
02-sAmaja_vara_gamanA_sAdhu-hindOLam
03-darini_telusukoNTi_tripurasundarini-shuddhasAvEri
04-mInAkSi_mEmudam_dEhi-pUrvikalyANi

rajeshnat

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by rajeshnat »

Balummi wrote:Dear Kapali,

After the demise of Sri Aryakudi TNK totally dedicated himself to Mani iyer. There were many rumours afloat

regarding Lalgudi Sir not accompanying MMIfrom 1962 and were all rumours . Sri Lalgudi Sir had rpeatedly expressed his wish to listen

to MMI atleast for 3 hours as his last wish!
You meant after Ariyakudi retired from performance . Ariyakudi passed away in 1967 and MMI in 1968. I have also heard from few elderly relatives that MMI and LGJ had few years gap where they did not perform together. Just curious when did ariyakudi retire from public performance?

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rajeshnat,
I understand that Iyengarval didnot give any public performance since 1962 except may be

one or two rarely!

kapali

Post by kapali »

In those days we all used to discuss after attending the Ramanavami concerts etc in Bangalore, whenever Lalgudi accompanied MMI, Lalgudi performed to exalted levels, especially triggered by MMI's creative spells and also MMI used to give him uninhibited encouragement. Those memories still linger!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

Madurai Mani Iyer Musical evening

On the occasion of 103rd Birthday

Date: 9.11.2014, Sunday

Time: 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm

Venue: “ Vivekananda Hall”,

The P.S. High School, R.K.Mutt Road,

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004.

Presided by: Special Speech:

Mr. K R A Narasaiah Mr.K.S.Kalidas

Kalaimamani Dr. Narmadha

Violinist

Mr.Cleveland V.V.Sundaram Vote of Thanks:

Chitti S.Venu

ALL ARE WELCOME

HIGH TEA AT 3:30 PM

Excerpts from various live concerts of the master to be played.

kapali

Post by kapali »

Dear Venu Sundar, Wish the MMI annual function all success ,guided by your devoted efforts. Perhaps, if you can play during the function the songs 1 to 5 of Enna Solven's post at post no.598 in this thread, the audience will enjoy it! I hope these songs can be retrieved.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Today's Paper » FEATURES » DOWN TOWN
November 2, 2014
Concert to celebrate Madurai Mani Iyer
Study Finance at LSBF - Postgraduate Certificate in Finance Career services, small class size. lsbf.org.uk/PG-Finance-Cert
Ads by Google
print · T T
inShare

A musical evening of Madurai Mani Iyer, on the occasion of his 103{+r}{+d}birth anniversary celebrations will be held on November 9 at Vivekananda Hall, P.S. Higher Secondary School, Ramakrishna Math Road, Mylapore, between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. The chief guest is Cleveland V.V. Sundaram. K.R.A. Narasiah, a marine engineer and an author, will preside over the event. For details, call S. Venugopalan at 98413 13527.

On November 9 at Vivekananda Hall, P.S. Higher Secondary School, Ramakrishna Math Road, Mylapore, between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Venugopalan Sundararajan shared Kizhambur Sankara Subramanian's photo.
18 mins ·
மதுரை மணி ஐயர் இசை வேள்வியை சிட்டியின் திருமகனார் வேணுவும் விஷ்னுவும் பி.எஸ் உயர் நிலைப்பள்ளியில் ஏற்பாடு செய்திருந்தார்கள்.மதுரை மணிக்காக ஏற்பாடு செய்யப்படும் 5ஆவது நிகழ்ச்சி என்று நினைக்கிறேன்.வெல்டன் வேணு சார்.லைவ் நிகழச்சி மாதிரி இருந்தது.இனிப்பு நோய் காரர்களும் ரசிக்கும்படியான தேன் மதுரக்குரல் மதுரைமணியுடையது என்பது புரிந்தது.இது போன்ற சங்கீதம் கேட்டால் பிரஷரோ சுகரோ வராது என்று ஒருவர் சர்டிபிகேட் கொடுத்தார். நரசையா அவர்களின் பேச்சு சூப்பர் சார் என்றார் ரமேஷ். மதுரைமணி கோதுமை அல்வான்னா அரியக்குடி பாதாம் அல்வா செம்பை அசோகா அல்வா இப்படி அந்தக்கால இசைவாணர்களை புகழ்ந்துண்டே போகலாம் விஷ்னு சொன்னது அர்த்தமுள்ளது. பழைய வித்வான்களுடைய இசையைக் கேட்க வேணு சார் செய்யும் ஏற்பாட்டிற்கு கோடி நமஸ்காரங்கள்.இவர்கள் மதுரைமணி பக்தர்கள்.இப்படியொரு நிகழ்ச்சி நடப்பது இசைப்பிரியர்களுக்குத் தெரியவந்தால் கூட்டம் அலைமோதும். நிகழ்ச்சி மயிலாப்பூரில் 9 ஆம் தேதி நடந்தது. கம்பியூட்டர் மூலம் அமரர் மதுரை மணியை அழைத்து வந்து அசத்திவிட்டார்கள். இனியும் பல அந்தக்கால வித்வான்கள் கணினி மூலம் மேடை வலம் வரப்போவதாகச் சொன்னார் வேணு.
Kizhambur Sankara Subramanian

மதுரை மணி ஐயர் இசை வேள்வியை சிட்டியின் திருமகனார் வேணுவும் விஷ்னுவும் பி.எஸ் உயர் நிலைப்பள்ளியில் ஏற்பாடு செய்திருந்தார்கள்.மதுரை மணிக்காக ஏற்பாடு செய்யப்படும் 5ஆவது நிகழ்ச்சி என்று நினைக்கிறேன்.வெல்டன் வேணு சார்.லைவ் நிகழச்சி மாதிரி இருந்தது.இனிப்பு நோய் காரர்களும் ரசிக்கும்படியான தேன் மதுரக்குரல் மதுரைமணியுடையது என்பது புரிந்தது.இது போன்ற சங்கீதம் கேட்டால் பிரஷரோ சுகரோ வராது என்று ஒருவர் சர்டிபிகேட் கொடுத்தார். நரசையா அவர்களின் பேச்சு சூப்பர் சார் என்றார் ரமேஷ்.

மதுரைமணி கோதுமை அல்வான்னா அரியக்குடி பாதாம் அல்வா செம்பை அசோகா அல்வா இப்படி அந்தக்கால இசைவாணர்களை புகழ்ந்துண்டே போகலாம் விஷ்னு சொன்னது அர்த்தமுள்ளது. பழைய வித்வான்களுடைய இசையைக் கேட்க வேணு சார் செய்யும் ஏற்பாட்டிற்கு கோடி நமஸ்காரங்கள்.இவர்கள் மதுரைமணி பக்தர்கள்.இப்படியொரு நிகழ்ச்சி நடப்பது இசைப்பிரியர்களுக்குத் தெரியவந்தால் கூட்டம் அலைமோதும். நிகழ்ச்சி மயிலாப்பூரில் 9 ஆம் தேதி நடந்தது. கம்பியூட்டர் மூலம் அமரர் மதுரை மணியை அழைத்து வந்து அசத்திவிட்டார்கள். இனியும் பல அந்தக்கால வித்வான்கள் கணினி மூலம் மேடை வலம் வரப்போவதாகச் சொன்னார் வேணு.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

MMI 103 JAYANHTI HELD ON 9TH NOVEMBER 2014 AT THE P.S.HIGH SCHOOL VIVEKANANDA HALL CHENNAI AND WE ARE APPENDING THE TOI REPORT!PL RESPOND MMI FANS!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 104612.cms

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shri venu sundar
Can we get the audio access of those who spoke in the function. I do know that some of them like VRP can do wonders when he explains about MMI. I donot know much about narasaiyyA. There must have been interesting tidbits of the great MMI that many are not aware.

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rajesh,
Many of us do not know that Vishnu ( VRP ) can actually tell us in which year Mani Mama had sung the concert by simply listening to his voice and also can tell us the mirudangam and gatam aritists besides ofcourse the violinist by listening to them!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyers prime disciple and nephew of MMI the popular T>V Sankarnarayanan opened the Margazhi Music with his concert at the Bharahtiya Vidya Bhavan Mylapore on Sunday the 30th November at 6-30 PM as part of the BVB MUSIC Festival and the hall was full!TVS was very ably supported by his son Mahadevan who is also catching up with his brisk voice and fine singing.TVS was supported by S/S H.N Bhaskar Violin R.Ramesh Mridangam and Madipakkam Gopalkrishna

on Kanjeera.TVS opened up like Sachin Style with a song on VInayaka and settled down well with the most popular kriti of Thyagraja ENTHA VEDUKO in Saraswathi Manohari Raga!TVS also kept the audience spell bound with his SARASMUKHI of Harikesa Nallur and GURVAYOORAPPAN of the great late Papanasam Sivan!The climax was the beautiful Bharivi and the very fine song of KOLU VAI!TVS excelled in that right from the start and like the DHoni and Kohli partnerships in T 20 s both TVS and Maha sang so fluently and melodiously the entire audience went into ecstatic moods and it was one of the best and memorable concerts to the delight of the rasikas!Last Year Music Academy season TVS was the BEST concert in the opinion of many musical experts.Maha has shown great promise and kudos to the entire team for the great musical event!

cacm

Post by cacm »

venu sundar wrote:Madurai Mani Iyers prime disciple and nephew of MMI the popular T>V Sankarnarayanan opened the Margazhi Music with his concert at the Bharahtiya Vidya Bhavan Mylapore on Sunday the 30th November at 6-30 PM as part of the BVB MUSIC Festival and the hall was full!TVS was very ably supported by his son Mahadevan who is also catching up with his brisk voice and fine singing.TVS was supported by S/S H.N Bhaskar Violin R.Ramesh Mridangam and Madipakkam Gopalkrishna

on Kanjeera.TVS opened up like Sachin Style with a song on VInayaka and settled down well with the most popular kriti of Thyagraja ENTHA VEDUKO in Saraswathi Manohari Raga!TVS also kept the audience spell bound with his SARASMUKHI of Harikesa Nallur and GURVAYOORAPPAN of the great late Papanasam Sivan!The climax was the beautiful Bharivi and the very fine song of KOLU VAI!TVS excelled in that right from the start and like the DHoni and Kohli partnerships in T 20 s both TVS and Maha sang so fluently and melodiously the entire audience went into ecstatic moods and it was one of the best and memorable concerts to the delight of the rasikas!Last Year Music Academy season TVS was the BEST concert in the opinion of many musical experts.Maha has shown great promise and kudos to the entire team for the great musical event!
MY SUGGESTION IS TO TRANSFER THE ABOVE POST TO THE ONE DEDICATED TO T.V. Sankaranarayanan especially as purists like me do not wish this segment DEDICATED to MMI NOT BE CONTAMINATED BY OBSERVATIONS ABOUT OTHERS CONCERTS......THIS IS A CONTROVERSIAL AREA & PERSONS LIKE ME FEEL OFFENDED TVS BEING MADE PART OF THIS SEGMENT DEDICATED TO MMI FOR VERY GOOD REASONS. VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

I FEEL VERY BAD AND SORRY TOO FOR POSTING THE TVS CONCERT IN THE MMI AREA IF IT HURTS THE PURITANS!I WILL NOT REPEAT THE MISTAKE ONCE AGAIN SORRY!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer was very fondly remembered by nearly 400 rasikas at the TAG Auditorium Alwarpet in which Sri V.Sriram one of our finest and beloved historians spoke on the greatness of MMI and it was one of the best musical mornings.Sri R.T Chari should be complimented for the very sumptuous and delicious breakfast and the CARE with which he made every one sit and enjoy the great moment.Sri Sashi made the welcome address and also customarily introduced Sriram to the rasikas
Sriram started with SURYAMURTE Dikshitar Krithi and it was like Virat Kohli batting on his day.Sriram took the MMI rasikas back to the formative days in which MMI started his musical career.MMIs uncle late Sri Pushpavanam was one of the fine and respected musicians in the early 1900s and MMIs dad Sri Rajam Iyer was one of the important figures in the Carnatic music field.MMI started his debut as early as inn the 1912 and MMI was noticed by the music stalwarts and rasikas.alike
MMI was one of the finest human beings who used to praise and also appreciate other golden greats like Ariyakkudi,Mahrajapuram,GNB and Semmangudi and the likes.MMI used to encourage the accompanists very lavishly and his special were Thiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer and Palani Subbudu among others.MMI was an avid reader of Dickens and he liked Cricket very much.MMI had a big circle of friends and he was the best friend of many!Sriram explained at length how the Manikodi writers like Chitti and Thi.Janakiraman were close to MMI.It was only Chitti who used to write the Presidential address for MMI both at the Music Academy 1959 and Tamil Isai Sangam in 1960!Sriram also made
special reference to the visit of Paramacharya SRI Chandresekara Sarawthis sudden appearance in the late 1950s which made MMI emotionally happy!Sriram played very good melodious numbers of MMI and also narrated the famed Cycle Rikshaw fans and further gave the interesting news that the Dharavi Slum dwellers used to throng MMI singing venue!Srirams speech was one of the historic one and very nicely documented one.Sriram concluded with the ENGLISH NOTE and the rasikas were touched by the description of MMIs illness and the ultimate end on 8th June 1968!Srirams speech was spellbound one and I am one of the FANATIC OF MMI was in tears when Sriram came to the end.Sriram has done a very great contribution to fans of MMI!

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

V.SRIRAM SPOKE ON MADURAI MANI IYER ON SUNDAY THE 21 at TAG AUDITORIUM OF R>T> CHARI AT ALWARPET CHENNAI!

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Request you to join the group of the legend in FB at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/524147844265748/

anuanantharaman

Post by anuanantharaman »

Hello VKV Sir,

My regards. You must have attended numerous MMI concerts in person. For the benefit of MMI fans, would it be possible to list his less-well-known songs you have heard? For example, in the Hindu article on MMI Centenary, you refer to his piece "Raattinam kodi paareer".

On Sangeethapriya, there are about 80 concerts available, including your detailed collection with commentary. However, after a point, the set of kritis repeat in his recorded concerts. This is most likely due to the fact that many of his recordings are from the last 10-15 years of his singing career.

As an avid MMI fan, I would at least like to know what all the maestro has sung in his concerts.

Thank you very much!
Ananth

venkatakailasam

MMI 190-Madurai Mani IyerConcert With LGJ and PMI. held at Bombay..3 and of hours concert..

http://mfi.re/listen/d7wixdi4era4tmr/MM ... nd_PMI.mp3

anuanantharaman

Hello Balummi Sir,

When I was going over your posts, I saw your comment: "Sri Lalgudi Sir had rpeatedly expressed his wish to listen to MMI atleast for 3 hours as his last wish!"

Great to hear that! Not surprising, considering how much he has accompanied him. In what context did Lalgudi sir say this?

Thank you,
Ananth

cacm

Post by cacm »

anuanantharaman wrote:Hello VKV Sir,

My regards. You must have attended numerous MMI concerts in person. For the benefit of MMI fans, would it be possible to list his less-well-known songs you have heard? For example, in the Hindu article on MMI Centenary, you refer to his piece "Raattinam kodi paareer".

On Sangeethapriya, there are about 80 concerts available, including your detailed collection with commentary. However, after a point, the set of kritis repeat in his recorded concerts. This is most likely due to the fact that many of his recordings are from the last 10-15 years of his singing career.

As an avid MMI fan, I would at least like to know what all the maestro has sung in his concerts.

Thank you very much!
Ananth
I AM OUT OF TOWN RIGHT NOW. When I return I will write in detail. Happy New Year. VKV

anuanantharaman

Hello VKV Sir,

Thank you very much! Very happy & prosperous new year to you!

Regards,
Ananth

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Anantharaman ,
The last wish of SRI LALGUDI Sir was reported in an interview in a tamil magazine and again in another interview he had repeated his last wish . Again in an interview in Mangier Malar , Sri Subbudu Sir , to the question that why he had always denigrated men singers however great they may be , and extolled only female singers , he had replied that Madurai Mani Iyer whose hundreds of concerts he had listened to , he could never find even a microscopic fault ! The paper cuttings of these were taken away from me by one Mr. Ramachandran whose is now somewhere in Kerala.
In another interview in Kalki Magazine before his passing away Mr. TM Soundararajan, the famous playback singer who is an idol for cine lowers had expressed that his own idol in Music was none other than Madurai Mani Iyer and of course MS Amma.

anuanantharaman

Dhruva Nakshatram

Hello MMI Fans, I just now finished reading an excellent book on Vidwan Pazhani Subramanya Pillai, the pre-eminent Mridangist. Many of us know that he was the favorite accompaniment of Shri MMI. The title of the book is "Dhruva Nakshatram" and is compiled by Lalita Ram.

I realize that this is an MMI forum and not Pazhani forum. However, this book offers great insights on MMI and the famed MMI-Pazhani association. It describes how they elevated the levels of carnatic concerts in general and the "light songs phase" in particular (Kandan Karunai, Eppo Varuvaro & so on). Apparently, MMI would opt for another Mridangist only if Pazhani was not available for any reason.

cacm

Post by cacm »

MMI has said in private conversations that Tiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer (violin acc. to Vmbu Iyer)- no surprise as he was christened "SUSWARAM "T.S.I."- He was present when he was not playing some other concert either on the stage or in the audience....PSP' INSTINCTIVE ABILITY to INNOVATE in the DIFFICULT Savalaghu style of M.M.I. were his FAVOURITES & these are KNOWN FACTS!....VKV

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Very true. One only has to listen to MMI's Academy concert with LGJ and PSP (Vasudevayani, Thaye Yasodha, Nagumomu) to get a flavor of Pazhani's playing for MMI. The music produced in that concert is one of divine proportions. I've listened to it hundreds of times and I find something new every time I listen to it. The RTP-Kamboji in that concert is probably one of the best Kambojis ever sung.

cacm

Post by cacm »

LIKE MMI ANY ONE WHO HEARD PALANI & PSP IN PERSON CANNOT ERASE THE DIVINE NADHAM PERFECTION AND TECHNICAL VIRTIUOSITY OF BOTH OF THEM. THOSE SOUNDS ARE THE BEST IN THE COSMOS! I CONSIDER IT AS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY LIFE. I have been fortunate to meet& know MANY GIANTS IN VARIOUS FIELDS INCLUDING close to 30 NOBEL LAURATES IN PHYSICS starting with the GOD OF PHYSICS OF INDIA SIR C.V.RAMAN HIMSELF.
THE ONLY HOPE FOR HUMANITY IS MORE PERSONS OF THIS CALIBRE.........VKV

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

CACM Sir Met 30 Nobel Laurates in Physics & Giants in Carnatic Music. My God. Romba Punniyam Pannerkel. ( You have done lot of Punniyam in previous birth). I have not met you in person except saw you in North American Music Festival at Raga Sudha Hall where you spoke . Feel blessed knowing you thro this forum. Ariyakudi/GNB/Madurai Mani Iyer/Palghat Mani Iyer/Palani Subramnia Pillai/TR Mahalingam (Except for one concert of Ariyakudi & GNB & a few concerts of Palghat Mani Iyer with KVN) I have not heard any of the other greats directly. My uncle speaks very highly of Madurai Mani Iyer music. Hearing directly is altogether a different experience from hearing in tapes. Only now I have started listening to these great artists. I am still waiting eagerly for your article on Dr Brown. Pl oblige for the sake of this forumites.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear shripath_g,
I would like to know whether the MMI concert u are referring to is available in sangeethapriya?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

KNV1955/VKV, Like VKV I was extremely fortunate in growing up and intimately associating(thanks to my parents) with these stalwarts when they were in full form--each of these vocalists had their individual unique style and the accompanists--PMI,PSP too--all of them GRACIOUS beyond description both to their fellow artistes irrespective of their age, and total deference to the audience--admittedly although speaking for myself our "Gnanam" at that age was nowhere near the gnanam of the young rasikas of today and as such younger rasikas might tend to question our competence and assessment !!nevertheless I stand by my steadfast admiration of these artistes--in fact I would squarely " blame" these vocalists for my not formally "learning" vocal music--- for I was afraid I would be forced to restrict myself to one Bani(the artistes in those days were particular about this aspect) and thereby lose many listening opportunities!!!
Needless to say the CM World has been better served by my judicious exercise of discretion and abstinence!!!!!

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

cacm

Post by cacm »

KNV1955 wrote:CACM Sir Met 30 Nobel Laurates in Physics & Giants in Carnatic Music. My God. Romba Punniyam Pannerkel. ( You have done lot of Punniyam in previous birth). I have not met you in person except saw you in North American Music Festival at Raga Sudha Hall where you spoke . Feel blessed knowing you thro this forum. Ariyakudi/GNB/Madurai Mani Iyer/Palghat Mani Iyer/Palani Subramnia Pillai/TR Mahalingam (Except for one concert of Ariyakudi & GNB & a few concerts of Palghat Mani Iyer with KVN) I have not heard any of the other greats directly. My uncle speaks very highly of Madurai Mani Iyer music. Hearing directly is altogether a different experience from hearing in tapes. Only now I have started listening to these great artists. I am still waiting eagerly for your article on Dr Brown. Pl oblige for the sake of this forumites.
DEAR SRIKNV,
I consider KVN& BOB BROWN TO BE IN THE PANTHEON OF GODS OF CARNATIC MUSIC. I WROTE 4 DIFFERENT VERSIONS. FEEL I HAVE DRAGGED ON TOO MUCK. BY 26TH JAN IPROMISE TO PUBLISH IT HERE. HAPPY NEW YEAR. VKV

cacm

Re:

Post by cacm »

new1 wrote:For his 100th birth anniversary, it will be nice to have a book brought out that has observations/articles by people that have known and observed him closely. My own father has heard numerous concerts of his when MMI was at his peak as well as when he was weak and ravaged by illness, and often talks about them.
This could be accompanists that are still around as well as ordinary rasikas and the knowledgeable ones. With the passage of time, we will only have left with us recordings of his music and nothing else as those who have seen him in flesh and blood will also be no more.
Talking of recordings, a systematic cataloging of them would also be nice. I saw a nice excel spreadsheet in sangeethapriya posted by someone, that has concert dates, venues, accompaniments etc. If we can match that to known/available recordings, we will have a nice way of organising his music over time. I tried matching that sheet with what I have through downloads and from vkv sir but given my knowledge limitations it is difficult. For instance I would not know if the violinist is LGJ or TNK or MSG unless it is mentioned in the mp3 file. Some others will know it offhand. Same goes for mridangam. If available downloads/recordings are numbered or cataloged I think that will enhance their appeal and rasikas can see them in the context of the periods they were recorded.
Efforts by vkv sir and others to collect his recordings and distributing them are acts of great 'punyam' that cannot be described in words.
It is somewat easy bec THEY ALL HAD UNIQUE BOWING STYLES. MMi found 1/2Kattai HIGHER WAS BETTER FOR MSG. HE adjusted to EVERY ACCOMPANIST UNIQUELY! VKV

cacm

Re:

Post by cacm »

new1 wrote:For his 100th birth anniversary, it will be nice to have a book brought out that has observations/articles by people that have known and observed him closely. My own father has heard numerous concerts of his when MMI was at his peak as well as when he was weak and ravaged by illness, and often talks about them.
This could be accompanists that are still around as well as ordinary rasikas and the knowledgeable ones. With the passage of time, we will only have left with us recordings of his music and nothing else as those who have seen him in flesh and blood will also be no more.
Talking of recordings, a systematic cataloging of them would also be nice. I saw a nice excel spreadsheet in sangeethapriya posted by someone, that has concert dates, venues, accompaniments etc. If we can match that to known/available recordings, we will have a nice way of organising his music over time. I tried matching that sheet with what I have through downloads and from vkv sir but given my knowledge limitations it is difficult. For instance I would not know if the violinist is LGJ or TNK or MSG unless it is mentioned in the mp3 file. Some others will know it offhand. Same goes for mridangam. If available downloads/recordings are numbered or cataloged I think that will enhance their appeal and rasikas can see them in the context of the periods they were recorded.
Efforts by vkv sir and others to collect his recordings and distributing them are acts of great 'punyam' that cannot be described in words.
It is somewat easy bec THEY ALL HAD UNIQUE BOWING STYLES. MMi found 1/2Kattai HIGHER WAS BETTER FOR MSG. HE adjusted to EVERY ACCOMPANIST UNIQUELY! VKV

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

Yes sir. This is unique quality of MMI. He allows the accompanying artists to come to full flow. MMI is a noble and gracious artist.

N.R.Patanjali

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

venkatakailasam wrote:Concert 279-MMI-National program
His birth day to day
Listen at:

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/09 ... art-x.html

01-rAma_bhakti_sAmrAjya-shuddhabangALa
02-sAmaja_vara_gamanA_sAdhu-hindOLam
03-darini_telusukoNTi_tripurasundarini-shuddhasAvEri
04-mInAkSi_mEmudam_dEhi-pUrvikalyANi
Sir, This performance has been listened to by many rasikas several times. Someone remarked "MADURA MANI " while commenting on this concert.

N.R.Patanjali

venkatakailasam

" This performance has been listened to by many rasikas several times.."

There are many more rasikas who have not listened to it...I am also one among them..It is for them...

If you have listened already , skip it...

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Hey everyone, look what I found just uploaded yesterday -- old LPs from the 1930s showing a much younger MMI (and an older style of CM itself). @cacm, VKV sir, one for you. Wonder what else is hidden in the archives of the rasika world. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl-3TMLFkC0

Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1930s-
accompanied by Kumbakonam T.K.Jayarama Iyer-violin, Tanjore Vaidhyanatha Iyer-mridhangam & Madras Venu Naicker-kanjeera.

Sri Raghukula-Hamsadhwani,
Anuragamule- Saraswathi
Vidajalatura- Janaranjani
Marugelara-Jayanthashree
RTP_ Kalyani_Bhajare Raghuveeram
Ethani Vithangal- Virutham-Ragamaligai
Javali
Madarpirai Kanni-Thevaram-Arabhi
Thirupugaz- NIraimathi Mugam- Hamsanandhi & Mangalam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Srinath
Early 2003 or 2004 I went to BaluMMI sir who gave me 6 cds worth of ganakaladhara when I went to his halls road , egmore home .Then around 2008 or 2009. I met VKV sir who gave his entire dump of MMI . There are few in that where VKV sir has taken pains to curate and use some noise reduction software and there is one in which vkv sir has given crisp narratives about mmi. I have shared that to few relatives and friends who innocently ask me "Can i hear bit more of Carnatic Music, I am just beginning to like it ". BaluMMI and VKV are special mmi fans who were luckily born when MMI sang.

What you have shared is from raju asokan who is known to share lot of historic gems of past - particularly we owe a lot of madurai somu collections to him.Raju asokan is also part of our forum.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Great to know. I can never forget my first experiences as a 5 year old listening to Maa Janaki and Sarasa Sama Daana in old cassettes. Somehow even at that age I realized those swaras were special. From then on it was always "Madhura Mani Iyer" for me.

cacm

Post by cacm »

SrinathK wrote:Great to know. I can never forget my first experiences as a 5 year old listening to Maa Janaki and Sarasa Sama Daana in old cassettes. Somehow even at that age I realized those swaras were special. From then on it was always "Madhura Mani Iyer" for me.
Dear Srinath,
I have enormous number of MMI Concerts+ some special comments etc; Problem is TIME! I am hoping to copy ALL THE ONES I HAVE in one HD & DISTRIBUTE IT to persons like you. After CLEVELAND that will be one of my projects. I will be happy to share ANY MMI I have with any one intertested . Actually in the two dvd set I produced & distributed for the MMI Centinary the second DVD is MMI'S RECORDINGS in MP3(192sampling which I chose after listening to most things I have; I had tried to follow a rough chronological order concentrating on Chakkani raja particularly to study his changes, evolution etc as I have discussed aspects like this with a great musician & Scholar like Sanjay Subramanian & Vellore Ramabhadran etc. Depending on where you live some one may have it& you can copy it; I gave away 2000 DVDS free etc.OR if you write your address I will be happy to copy it&send you. VKV

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I can trust my ears with this so I'll say it : In all old LP recordings of all the past year musicians, I find a certain folksy touch (a gamaka rawness if I may say) in the way they've rendered the compositions with a greater emphasis on plainer notes -- whether this was indeed the way of singing madhyamakala or whether this was due to some compromises and rushed rendering that had to be done to fit into the 3 min LP playing time I am not sure. Later recordings tell me that the overall gamaka palette of CM has become increasingly varied and refined and the renditions are weightier -- I think the mic might have partially helped in this matter by freeing musicians from singing louder and allowing them to focus on more intricate and delicate raga phrases. A certain amount of this is also due to voices getting weightier as one grows older, but this alone wouldn't explain it. Going only by recorded music it appears on the surface of it that from the late 19th century onwards, CM has really cranked up the use of gamaka to a different level altogether. MMI as far as I have heard used many of the old phrases to unique (and melodious effect) throughout his career -- a vocal / veena style of singing (with some flute gamakas too). I could even call him the last of his kind in this particular use of gamakas and phrases.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear S.K.,
I am astounded by the CORRECTNESS & SOUNDNESS OF YOUR OBSERVATIONS.Wish you could get involved in some organisation that can use your EXPERTISE. Where do you live? WE BADLY NEED YOUNGER PERSONS LIKE YOU with good taste as well as SOUND KNOWLEDGE. VKV :!: :) :D

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

Sri Rama Navami Trichy Manimandapam

Concert

Date: 5.4.2015, Sunday

Time: 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004.

:

Chief Guest:

Mr. K R A Narasaiah

Vote of Thanks:

Chitti S.Venu

ALL ARE WELCOME

HIGH TEA AT 4:00 PM

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

47th REMEMBERANCE DAY

Concert ANCHORED BY VISHNU AND ANECDOTES BY EGMORE BALU

Date: 14th JUNE, Sunday

Time: 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. CONTACRT CHITTI VENU 98413 13527

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

கானகலாதர மதுரை மணி அய்யர் 47 ஆம் ஆண்டு நினைவஞ்சலி

மதுரை மணி அய்யர் ரசிகர்கள் சங்கம்.

நாள் : 14/6/2015

இடம் : விவேகானந்தர் அரங்கம், பி.ஸ். ஹை ஸ்கூல், ராமக்ருஷ்ணா மடம் சாலை, மைலாப்பூர்.

நெரம் : மாலை 4.30 மணி முதல் இரவு 8 மணி வரை.

நிகழ்ச்சி நிரல்

4.15 முதல் 4.30 வரை :- தேனீர் உபசரிப்பு

இறை வணக்கம்
நினைவலைகள் - திரு. பாலசுப்ரமணியன்
மணி பழனி இசை அமுதம் : பழனி சுப்ரமணிய பிள்ளையின் பக்கவாத்யத்தில் மதுரை மணி அய்யரின் இசை தொகுப்பு
பாலக்காடு மணியும் மதுரை மணியும் - இசை தொகுப்பு B27Y VISHNU CONTACT CHITTIVENU 9841313527
மங்களம்.

cacm

Post by cacm »

CONGRAGULATIONS for keeping the memories of GENUINE GENIUSES ALIVE....GOOD LUCK. VKV

kapali

Post by kapali »

Listening to Palani Subramania Pillai playing to MMI and Chowdiah in ' Manasunilpa' is Sowkhyam !