Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
cacm

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by cacm »

MMI has said in private conversations that Tiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer (violin acc. to Vmbu Iyer)- no surprise as he was christened "SUSWARAM "T.S.I."- He was present when he was not playing some other concert either on the stage or in the audience....PSP' INSTINCTIVE ABILITY to INNOVATE in the DIFFICULT Savalaghu style of M.M.I. were his FAVOURITES & these are KNOWN FACTS!....VKV

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Very true. One only has to listen to MMI's Academy concert with LGJ and PSP (Vasudevayani, Thaye Yasodha, Nagumomu) to get a flavor of Pazhani's playing for MMI. The music produced in that concert is one of divine proportions. I've listened to it hundreds of times and I find something new every time I listen to it. The RTP-Kamboji in that concert is probably one of the best Kambojis ever sung.

cacm

Post by cacm »

LIKE MMI ANY ONE WHO HEARD PALANI & PSP IN PERSON CANNOT ERASE THE DIVINE NADHAM PERFECTION AND TECHNICAL VIRTIUOSITY OF BOTH OF THEM. THOSE SOUNDS ARE THE BEST IN THE COSMOS! I CONSIDER IT AS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY LIFE. I have been fortunate to meet& know MANY GIANTS IN VARIOUS FIELDS INCLUDING close to 30 NOBEL LAURATES IN PHYSICS starting with the GOD OF PHYSICS OF INDIA SIR C.V.RAMAN HIMSELF.
THE ONLY HOPE FOR HUMANITY IS MORE PERSONS OF THIS CALIBRE.........VKV

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

CACM Sir Met 30 Nobel Laurates in Physics & Giants in Carnatic Music. My God. Romba Punniyam Pannerkel. ( You have done lot of Punniyam in previous birth). I have not met you in person except saw you in North American Music Festival at Raga Sudha Hall where you spoke . Feel blessed knowing you thro this forum. Ariyakudi/GNB/Madurai Mani Iyer/Palghat Mani Iyer/Palani Subramnia Pillai/TR Mahalingam (Except for one concert of Ariyakudi & GNB & a few concerts of Palghat Mani Iyer with KVN) I have not heard any of the other greats directly. My uncle speaks very highly of Madurai Mani Iyer music. Hearing directly is altogether a different experience from hearing in tapes. Only now I have started listening to these great artists. I am still waiting eagerly for your article on Dr Brown. Pl oblige for the sake of this forumites.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear shripath_g,
I would like to know whether the MMI concert u are referring to is available in sangeethapriya?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

KNV1955/VKV, Like VKV I was extremely fortunate in growing up and intimately associating(thanks to my parents) with these stalwarts when they were in full form--each of these vocalists had their individual unique style and the accompanists--PMI,PSP too--all of them GRACIOUS beyond description both to their fellow artistes irrespective of their age, and total deference to the audience--admittedly although speaking for myself our "Gnanam" at that age was nowhere near the gnanam of the young rasikas of today and as such younger rasikas might tend to question our competence and assessment !!nevertheless I stand by my steadfast admiration of these artistes--in fact I would squarely " blame" these vocalists for my not formally "learning" vocal music--- for I was afraid I would be forced to restrict myself to one Bani(the artistes in those days were particular about this aspect) and thereby lose many listening opportunities!!!
Needless to say the CM World has been better served by my judicious exercise of discretion and abstinence!!!!!

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

cacm

Post by cacm »

KNV1955 wrote:CACM Sir Met 30 Nobel Laurates in Physics & Giants in Carnatic Music. My God. Romba Punniyam Pannerkel. ( You have done lot of Punniyam in previous birth). I have not met you in person except saw you in North American Music Festival at Raga Sudha Hall where you spoke . Feel blessed knowing you thro this forum. Ariyakudi/GNB/Madurai Mani Iyer/Palghat Mani Iyer/Palani Subramnia Pillai/TR Mahalingam (Except for one concert of Ariyakudi & GNB & a few concerts of Palghat Mani Iyer with KVN) I have not heard any of the other greats directly. My uncle speaks very highly of Madurai Mani Iyer music. Hearing directly is altogether a different experience from hearing in tapes. Only now I have started listening to these great artists. I am still waiting eagerly for your article on Dr Brown. Pl oblige for the sake of this forumites.
DEAR SRIKNV,
I consider KVN& BOB BROWN TO BE IN THE PANTHEON OF GODS OF CARNATIC MUSIC. I WROTE 4 DIFFERENT VERSIONS. FEEL I HAVE DRAGGED ON TOO MUCK. BY 26TH JAN IPROMISE TO PUBLISH IT HERE. HAPPY NEW YEAR. VKV

cacm

Re:

Post by cacm »

new1 wrote:For his 100th birth anniversary, it will be nice to have a book brought out that has observations/articles by people that have known and observed him closely. My own father has heard numerous concerts of his when MMI was at his peak as well as when he was weak and ravaged by illness, and often talks about them.
This could be accompanists that are still around as well as ordinary rasikas and the knowledgeable ones. With the passage of time, we will only have left with us recordings of his music and nothing else as those who have seen him in flesh and blood will also be no more.
Talking of recordings, a systematic cataloging of them would also be nice. I saw a nice excel spreadsheet in sangeethapriya posted by someone, that has concert dates, venues, accompaniments etc. If we can match that to known/available recordings, we will have a nice way of organising his music over time. I tried matching that sheet with what I have through downloads and from vkv sir but given my knowledge limitations it is difficult. For instance I would not know if the violinist is LGJ or TNK or MSG unless it is mentioned in the mp3 file. Some others will know it offhand. Same goes for mridangam. If available downloads/recordings are numbered or cataloged I think that will enhance their appeal and rasikas can see them in the context of the periods they were recorded.
Efforts by vkv sir and others to collect his recordings and distributing them are acts of great 'punyam' that cannot be described in words.
It is somewat easy bec THEY ALL HAD UNIQUE BOWING STYLES. MMi found 1/2Kattai HIGHER WAS BETTER FOR MSG. HE adjusted to EVERY ACCOMPANIST UNIQUELY! VKV

cacm

Re:

Post by cacm »

new1 wrote:For his 100th birth anniversary, it will be nice to have a book brought out that has observations/articles by people that have known and observed him closely. My own father has heard numerous concerts of his when MMI was at his peak as well as when he was weak and ravaged by illness, and often talks about them.
This could be accompanists that are still around as well as ordinary rasikas and the knowledgeable ones. With the passage of time, we will only have left with us recordings of his music and nothing else as those who have seen him in flesh and blood will also be no more.
Talking of recordings, a systematic cataloging of them would also be nice. I saw a nice excel spreadsheet in sangeethapriya posted by someone, that has concert dates, venues, accompaniments etc. If we can match that to known/available recordings, we will have a nice way of organising his music over time. I tried matching that sheet with what I have through downloads and from vkv sir but given my knowledge limitations it is difficult. For instance I would not know if the violinist is LGJ or TNK or MSG unless it is mentioned in the mp3 file. Some others will know it offhand. Same goes for mridangam. If available downloads/recordings are numbered or cataloged I think that will enhance their appeal and rasikas can see them in the context of the periods they were recorded.
Efforts by vkv sir and others to collect his recordings and distributing them are acts of great 'punyam' that cannot be described in words.
It is somewat easy bec THEY ALL HAD UNIQUE BOWING STYLES. MMi found 1/2Kattai HIGHER WAS BETTER FOR MSG. HE adjusted to EVERY ACCOMPANIST UNIQUELY! VKV

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

Yes sir. This is unique quality of MMI. He allows the accompanying artists to come to full flow. MMI is a noble and gracious artist.

N.R.Patanjali

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

venkatakailasam wrote:Concert 279-MMI-National program
His birth day to day
Listen at:

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2014/09 ... art-x.html

01-rAma_bhakti_sAmrAjya-shuddhabangALa
02-sAmaja_vara_gamanA_sAdhu-hindOLam
03-darini_telusukoNTi_tripurasundarini-shuddhasAvEri
04-mInAkSi_mEmudam_dEhi-pUrvikalyANi
Sir, This performance has been listened to by many rasikas several times. Someone remarked "MADURA MANI " while commenting on this concert.

N.R.Patanjali

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

" This performance has been listened to by many rasikas several times.."

There are many more rasikas who have not listened to it...I am also one among them..It is for them...

If you have listened already , skip it...

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Hey everyone, look what I found just uploaded yesterday -- old LPs from the 1930s showing a much younger MMI (and an older style of CM itself). @cacm, VKV sir, one for you. Wonder what else is hidden in the archives of the rasika world. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl-3TMLFkC0

Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1930s-
accompanied by Kumbakonam T.K.Jayarama Iyer-violin, Tanjore Vaidhyanatha Iyer-mridhangam & Madras Venu Naicker-kanjeera.

Sri Raghukula-Hamsadhwani,
Anuragamule- Saraswathi
Vidajalatura- Janaranjani
Marugelara-Jayanthashree
RTP_ Kalyani_Bhajare Raghuveeram
Ethani Vithangal- Virutham-Ragamaligai
Javali
Madarpirai Kanni-Thevaram-Arabhi
Thirupugaz- NIraimathi Mugam- Hamsanandhi & Mangalam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Srinath
Early 2003 or 2004 I went to BaluMMI sir who gave me 6 cds worth of ganakaladhara when I went to his halls road , egmore home .Then around 2008 or 2009. I met VKV sir who gave his entire dump of MMI . There are few in that where VKV sir has taken pains to curate and use some noise reduction software and there is one in which vkv sir has given crisp narratives about mmi. I have shared that to few relatives and friends who innocently ask me "Can i hear bit more of Carnatic Music, I am just beginning to like it ". BaluMMI and VKV are special mmi fans who were luckily born when MMI sang.

What you have shared is from raju asokan who is known to share lot of historic gems of past - particularly we owe a lot of madurai somu collections to him.Raju asokan is also part of our forum.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Great to know. I can never forget my first experiences as a 5 year old listening to Maa Janaki and Sarasa Sama Daana in old cassettes. Somehow even at that age I realized those swaras were special. From then on it was always "Madhura Mani Iyer" for me.

cacm

Post by cacm »

SrinathK wrote:Great to know. I can never forget my first experiences as a 5 year old listening to Maa Janaki and Sarasa Sama Daana in old cassettes. Somehow even at that age I realized those swaras were special. From then on it was always "Madhura Mani Iyer" for me.
Dear Srinath,
I have enormous number of MMI Concerts+ some special comments etc; Problem is TIME! I am hoping to copy ALL THE ONES I HAVE in one HD & DISTRIBUTE IT to persons like you. After CLEVELAND that will be one of my projects. I will be happy to share ANY MMI I have with any one intertested . Actually in the two dvd set I produced & distributed for the MMI Centinary the second DVD is MMI'S RECORDINGS in MP3(192sampling which I chose after listening to most things I have; I had tried to follow a rough chronological order concentrating on Chakkani raja particularly to study his changes, evolution etc as I have discussed aspects like this with a great musician & Scholar like Sanjay Subramanian & Vellore Ramabhadran etc. Depending on where you live some one may have it& you can copy it; I gave away 2000 DVDS free etc.OR if you write your address I will be happy to copy it&send you. VKV

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I can trust my ears with this so I'll say it : In all old LP recordings of all the past year musicians, I find a certain folksy touch (a gamaka rawness if I may say) in the way they've rendered the compositions with a greater emphasis on plainer notes -- whether this was indeed the way of singing madhyamakala or whether this was due to some compromises and rushed rendering that had to be done to fit into the 3 min LP playing time I am not sure. Later recordings tell me that the overall gamaka palette of CM has become increasingly varied and refined and the renditions are weightier -- I think the mic might have partially helped in this matter by freeing musicians from singing louder and allowing them to focus on more intricate and delicate raga phrases. A certain amount of this is also due to voices getting weightier as one grows older, but this alone wouldn't explain it. Going only by recorded music it appears on the surface of it that from the late 19th century onwards, CM has really cranked up the use of gamaka to a different level altogether. MMI as far as I have heard used many of the old phrases to unique (and melodious effect) throughout his career -- a vocal / veena style of singing (with some flute gamakas too). I could even call him the last of his kind in this particular use of gamakas and phrases.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear S.K.,
I am astounded by the CORRECTNESS & SOUNDNESS OF YOUR OBSERVATIONS.Wish you could get involved in some organisation that can use your EXPERTISE. Where do you live? WE BADLY NEED YOUNGER PERSONS LIKE YOU with good taste as well as SOUND KNOWLEDGE. VKV :!: :) :D

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

Madurai Mani Iyer Musical evening

Sri Rama Navami Trichy Manimandapam

Concert

Date: 5.4.2015, Sunday

Time: 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm

Venue: “ Vivekananda Hall”,

The P.S. High School, R.K.Mutt Road,

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004.

:

Chief Guest:

Mr. K R A Narasaiah

Vote of Thanks:

Chitti S.Venu

ALL ARE WELCOME

HIGH TEA AT 4:00 PM

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

47th REMEMBERANCE DAY

Concert ANCHORED BY VISHNU AND ANECDOTES BY EGMORE BALU

Date: 14th JUNE, Sunday

Time: 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. CONTACRT CHITTI VENU 98413 13527

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

கானகலாதர மதுரை மணி அய்யர் 47 ஆம் ஆண்டு நினைவஞ்சலி

மதுரை மணி அய்யர் ரசிகர்கள் சங்கம்.

நாள் : 14/6/2015

இடம் : விவேகானந்தர் அரங்கம், பி.ஸ். ஹை ஸ்கூல், ராமக்ருஷ்ணா மடம் சாலை, மைலாப்பூர்.

நெரம் : மாலை 4.30 மணி முதல் இரவு 8 மணி வரை.

நிகழ்ச்சி நிரல்

4.15 முதல் 4.30 வரை :- தேனீர் உபசரிப்பு

இறை வணக்கம்
நினைவலைகள் - திரு. பாலசுப்ரமணியன்
மணி பழனி இசை அமுதம் : பழனி சுப்ரமணிய பிள்ளையின் பக்கவாத்யத்தில் மதுரை மணி அய்யரின் இசை தொகுப்பு
பாலக்காடு மணியும் மதுரை மணியும் - இசை தொகுப்பு B27Y VISHNU CONTACT CHITTIVENU 9841313527
மங்களம்.

cacm

Post by cacm »

CONGRAGULATIONS for keeping the memories of GENUINE GENIUSES ALIVE....GOOD LUCK. VKV

kapali

Post by kapali »

Listening to Palani Subramania Pillai playing to MMI and Chowdiah in ' Manasunilpa' is Sowkhyam !

cacm

Post by cacm »

LET ME ECHO YOUR SENTIMENTS. MMI SINGING ANY THING IS ETERNAL BLISS! VKV

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Two Musical incidents relating to MMI which are found in the NET also I want to bring to our MMI MADDYS!Once when MMI and his party was waiting at the Mayavaram Train Station to board a train to Madras@Chennai a few porters were around and the train was LATE by 45 MTs or so!The porters were heard saying IYER WILL GO TO SING FOR VIPS IN MADRAS AND WE CANNOT HEAR HIM!MMI on hearing this asked Vembu and others to settle down at the
nearby Pillayar Koil and sang a few songs for the Porters!ANother time One ENglishman was travelling in a train and MMI was singing the famed and his branded ENGLISH NOTE and the gentleman came down and danced for the tunes!MMI took Music to ALL!I get HURT when upstrts do not notice HIM!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

A review of MMI's concert in the 40's ( In Tamil) by 'Kalki' Krishnamurthi .
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2015/06/53.html

An imaginary meeting between GNB and MMI ( a Tamil article)
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2015/04/52.html

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

நாள் : 16/7/2015 SUNFAY

இடம் : விவேகானந்தர் அரங்கம், பி.ஸ். ஹை ஸ்கூல், ராமக்ருஷ்ணா மடம் சாலை, மைலாப்பூர்.

நெரம் : மாலை 4.to 7P M.

நிகழ்ச்சி நிரல்

4.to 4-15 வரை :- தேனீர் உபசரிப்பு

இறை வணக்கம்
மணி பழனி இசை அமுதம் : பழனி சுப்ரமணிய பிள்ளையின் பக்கவாத்யத்தில் மதுரை மணி அய்யரின் இசை தொகுப்பு
பாலக்காடு மணியும் மதுரை மணியும் - இசை தொகுப்பு B27Y VISHNU CONTACT CHITTIVENU 9841313527
மங்களம்.
0 x

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
Ph: +91 44 42151321

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

16/8/2015?

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

நாள் : 16/8/2015 SUNDAY AUGUST MONTH!TX CHELLAPPA SIR FOR POINTING OUT!

நெரம் : மாலை 4.to 7P M.

நிகழ்ச்சி நிரல்

4.to 4-15 வரை :- தேனீர் உபசரிப்பு

இறை வணக்கம்
மங்களம்.
0 x

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

47th REMEMBERANCE DAY

Concert ANCHORED BY VISHNU AND ANECDOTES BY MANY RASIKAS AND MADDYS OF IMMORTAL MMI MUSIC!

Date: 16TH AUGUST SUNDAY
HIGH TEA 4 TO 4-15P M

Time: 4: pm to 7 pm

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. CONTACT CHITTI VENU 98413 135272@esvee45@gmail.com &esvee45@yahoo.co.in

cacm

Post by cacm »

GOOD LUCK, HAPPY LISTENING AND ABOVE ALL MY ETERNAL THANKS FOR KEEPING MMI'S MUSIC & MEMORIES ALIVE....VKV

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

விழாச் சிறக்க என் மனமார்ந்த வாழ்த்துகள்!

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

47th REMEMBERANCE DAY

Concert ANCHORED BY VISHNU AND ANECDOTES BY MANY RASIKAS AND MADDYS OF IMMORTAL MMI MUSIC!

Date: 16TH AUGUST SUNDAY
HIGH TEA 4 TO 4-15P M

Time: 4: pm to 7 pm

Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004. CONTACT CHITTI VENU 98413 135272@esvee45@gmail.com &esvee45@yahoo.co.in

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

விழா இனிதே நிறைவுற என்னுடைய வாழ்த்துக்கள்.
தஞ்சாவூரான்
14 08 2015

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

Dear Rasikas ,
The function at PS High School 0n 18th went on well . Vishnu spoke on Madurai Mani Iyer and Tamil Isai Origin and Development
About 3 hours of his Tamil Song were played to the delight of the rasikas. We hope to conduct our next meeting on Nov 1st with some more of his music
on his birth anniversary

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Thanks for giving a glimpse of the proceedings.
Listening to the recorded performance of stalwarts like MMI in the company of rasikas is a delight.

Hope to join in the session in November.

K.Nagarajan

venu sundar

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer 104th BIRTHDAY 1st NOV 2015 at PSHS MYLAPORE CHENNAI 4 to 7 PM

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer Musical Evening - Sruti, A Monthly ...
www.sruti.com/index.php?main_page=events&events_id=1184
Oct 1, 2015 - Madurai Mani Iyer Musical Evening. Madurai Mani Iyer ... Chitti Venu Vishnu. ALL ARE ... Contact: Mr.S.Venugopalan – Mobile : 98413 13527.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer Musical Evening

Inviting all

On the occasion of 104th Birthday

Date: 1.11.2015, Sunday

Time: 4:25 pm to 7:25 pm

“Vivekananda Hall”

The P. S. High School, R.K. Mutt Road,

Mylapore, Chennai - 600004

At

Sri K S Kalidas, Mridanga Vidwan Participates.

Welcome & Vote of Thanks Anchor

Chitti Venu Vishnu

ALL ARE WELCOME!PL CONTACT CHITTI VENU 9841313527
EMAIL esvee45@gmail.com &esvee45@yahoo.co.in

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Inviting all

On the occasion of 104th Birthday

Date: 1.11.2015, Sunday

Time: 4:25 pm to 7:25 pm

“Vivekananda Hall”

The P. S. High School, R.K. Mutt Road,

Mylapore, Chennai - 600004

At

Sri K S Kalidas, Mridanga Vidwan Participates.

Welcome & Vote of Thanks Anchor

Chitti Venu Vishnu :|

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Apropos SOUTH POLE article on "Not Only In Margazhi"by Aarvalan I wish to bring in our efforts in forming a group of Madurai Mani Iyer Listening Maddys and we gather at periodical times at PS High School Mylapore Chennai to listen to the Great Evergreen Master MMI and it is turning out to be hit of late.I am the Captian of the MMI Ship which consists of age group 7to 70 years of age.The last and recent event was held on the 10th April Sunday between 4-25 to 7-30 PM and more than 100+ rasikas attended the event and the theme on that day was Sri Ramamnavami.Our Anchor Sri Vishnu played the songs such as Rama Bhakthi Samrajyam,MAA JANAKI,.Balakanakamayi etc and the hall full rasikas never inched out of their seats even for a second!MMI died on 8th June 1968 but even then after 48 years his melody haunts the rasikas soulfully.We plan to have our next event on 19th June Sunday at tr he same venue at the same time!We also want to observe the days of greats like Ariyakudi Semmangudi ALthur Madurai Somu GNB MS MLV DKP also in future!We invite ALL the rasikas to come an be with us and join in our events!

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
__._,_.___
Posted by: Venugopalan S <esvee45@yahoo.co.in>
Reply via web post • Reply to sender • Reply to group • Start a new topic • Messages in this topic (1)
Visit Your Group

Ne

Apropos SOUTH POLE article on "Not Only In Margazhi"by Aarvalan I wish to bring in our efforts in forming a group of Madurai Mani Iyer Listening Maddys and we gather at periodical times at PS High School Mylapore Chennai to listen to the Great Evergreen Master MMI and it is turning out to be hit of late.I am the Captian of the MMI Ship which consists of age group 7to 70 years of age.The last and recent event was held on the 10th April Sunday between 4-25 to 7-30 PM and more than 100+ rasikas attended the event and the theme on that day was Sri Ramamnavami.Our Anchor Sri Vishnu played the songs such as Rama Bhakthi Samrajyam,MAA JANAKI,.Balakanakamayi etc and the hall full rasikas never inched out of their seats even for a second!MMI died on 8th June 1968 but even then after 48 years his melody haunts the rasikas soulfully.We plan to have our next event on 19th June Sunday at tr he same venue at the same time!We also want to observe the days of greats like Ariyakudi Semmangudi ALthur Madurai Somu GNB MS MLV DKP also in future!We invite ALL the rasikas to come an be with us and join in our events!

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
__._,_.___
Reply via web post • Reply to sender • Reply to group • Start a new topic • Messages in this topic (1)
Visit Your Group

New Members 1 New Photos 4

Yahoo! Groups
• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

__,_._,___

S.Venugopalan
7-A, Prashanthi Apts.
T.M.Maistry St.
Vannandurai
Chennai - 600 041
__._,_.___
Visit Your Group

New Members 1 New Photos 4

Yahoo! Groups

__,_._,___
w Members 1 New Photos 4

Yahoo! Groups

__,_._,___

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sometimes you need an imitation to understand what may be the nuances inside. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBx4uKIiO4

Because MMI is a deceptive method hider!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

We had a thread once where his Swara singing was examined in depth : http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... ra#p287398

The mA jAnaki recording IMHO represents nearly all the facets of Madurai Mani Iyer's swara genius -- underneath that ever flowing sarvalaghu he very effectively masked the technical capabilities to sing from any point and land anywhere with all kinds of both even and odd patterns, in ANY raga. In fact he virtually owned the art of even numbered pattern ending in swaras. He was even able to make sarvalaghu out of patterns and pauses that would have broken the flow of any lesser artiste and his accompanists had to be very capable to support his flow and ideas.

In his earlier days he had done extensive research into rare ragas and complex laya patterns (which sometimes put his music out of mass reach at the time -- yes it may sound unbelievable), after which he developed his own aesthetically pleasing approach that could be appreciated by both the layman and the expert.

I also can only wonder as to how he maintained absolute sruthi and swarasthana shuddham even on days when his health was down.

kapali

Post by kapali »

The Mediafire file of songs uploaded by Enna_Solven at post 598 in this thread seems to have expired and am not able to retrieve them. Can Balu MMI or Sri Venu help in retrieving these from the mediafire files and repost it ? Will be thankful for the same.

sankark

Post by sankark »

Inimitable MMI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqA_1ReB5ok how he makes dIkshitar kritis sound so breezy. Neither before nor after?

The marathon MA concert referred to in that link - any downloads available?

Is it just me or does he really sing discrete swaras for the m aa.. aa.. aa.. aa.. ye during the conclusion, at and after 4:27 after andtharangini?

gokulb93

Post by gokulb93 »

Madurai Mani Iyer's 105th birthday Celebrations to be held on 23rd October.
Venue: " Vivekanda Hall", P.S. High school, R.K. Mutt Road, Mylapore, Chennai.
Timings: 3.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.

Mridanga Chakravarthy, Sangeetha Kalanidhi, Dr. T.K. Murthy will be the chief guest of the event.
Accomplished Mridangam Artist Sri. Manoj Siva and Cleveland Sri. V.V. Sundaram will also be participating in the event.
Anchoring the event will be Sri. Lalitha Ram (writer) and V.Vishnu.

Excerpts from various concerts of the master will be played at the event.
Mridangam Vidwan Sri. K.S. Kalidas will also be attending the event.
High tea and snacks will be provided at 4.30 p.m.

All are Welcome!!

kapali

Post by kapali »

It will be nice if the media fire list of songs uploaded by EnnaSolven at post no.598 in this thread are retrieved and played during this function , as these pieces are live recordings of MMI concerts in 1958- 60 period and shows the tremendous rapport between the singer and all the accompaniments!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

gokulb93 wrote:Madurai Mani Iyer's 105th birthday Celebrations to be held on 23rd October.

Mridanga Chakravarthy, Sangeetha Kalanidhi, Dr. T.K. Murthy will be the chief guest of the event.

Gokulb93,
What can I say , joy, joy and simply joy.

V VishnuRamPrasad(our forumite) must be the best person to know anything about MMI , even rivaling those veteran MMI all time great rasikas who were there with MMI then like VK Vishwanathan, Balu sir from Egmore sait colony and Venugopal Sir (Chitti sundarrajan son).

Lalita ram (Parivadhini co founder Mahadevan Ramachandran and our forumite)who has written books on GNB, PSP talking about MMI.

I have had so many conversations with LalitaRam and VRP(2 great rasikas) . They will do a great job in presenting MMI in a true gAna KalA dhara fashion . Please record in a high quality video.

Here is a treasure where the living legend TK Murthy is accompanying supernovas MMI and LGJ starting with the evergreen swaras in ga pa ri ga pA ooh ahA ahA ....vAthApi and then prema Juchi nApai in ,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4x8RB2jPM

gokulb93

Post by gokulb93 »

rajeshnat wrote:
gokulb93 wrote:Madurai Mani Iyer's 105th birthday Celebrations to be held on 23rd October.

Gokulb93,
What can I say , joy, joy and simply joy.

V VishnuRamPrasad(our forumite) must be the best person to know anything about MMI , even rivaling those veteran MMI all time great rasikas who were there with MMI then like VK Vishwanathan, Balu sir from Egmore sait colony and Venugopal Sir (Chitti sundarrajan son).

Lalita ram (Parivadhini co founder Mahadevan Ramachandran and our forumite)who has written books on GNB, PSP talking about MMI.

I have had so many conversations with LalitaRam and VRP(2 great rasikas) . They will do a great job in presenting MMI in a true gAna KalA dhara fashion . Please record in a high quality video.

Here is a treasure where the living legend TK Murthy is accompanying supernovas MMI and LGJ starting with the evergreen swaras in ga pa ri ga pA ooh ahA ahA ....vAthApi and then prema Juchi nApai in ,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS4x8RB2jPM
Rajesh sir,
I have had the good fortune of meeting and interacting with almost all the people you have mentioned very frequently for the past year. What you said is absolutely true. Vishnu sir is the person to go to in case one wishes to know about MMI. Balu sir gave me his whole mmi collections about a year ago, and since then I have never recovered from mmi fever and probably never will. I consider it a great honor to have interacted with vkv sir, balu sir, vishnu sir and venu sir.