Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
venu sundar

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer and Kanchi Paramacharya

Kanchi Paramacharya had a special affection for Madurai Mani Iyer. These two incidents are a proof for the above statement.

1. Mani Iyer was a great devotee of Maha Periava who treated Mani Iyer like his own child. Mani Iyer saw Sri Periavaal as Sri Kapaaleswarar, Sri Parameswara himself. Once Mani Iyer was singing in his presence after he had lost his eyesight. While singing he heard someone accompanying him with beautiful rhythm. After completing the song, he wanted t to know from Vembu Iyer as to who was accompanying him with such a beautiful rhythm. Immediately Sri Maha periava intervened and told Mani Iyer that it was he with a peel of orange in his hand like kanjira. "Naan thaan appaa taalam potadhu!", Suddenly Mani Iyer broke down with tears and cried "Appane Kapaaleeswara! parameswaraa! "en" Periavaala thaalam potadhu?" He cried and told "En periavaalai paaka mudiyalaye, enge irukkaa" Periyavaal in his voice filled with kaarunyam replied "ido un pakkathileye irukkenappa" Mani Iyer repeatedly told "Appane Kapaaleswaraaa! Parameswaraa!" and prostrated. Periavaal blessed him with his own benign smile like a mother to her child. (Free translation)
by Baraneetharan, in Anandavikatan. less

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mark your calendar on this sunday,June 17th,2018 at Karpagambal Nagar , Gokhale Sastri (not srinivasa sastri) hall.Supernova -Ganakaladhara Madurai Mani Higher with the most observant rasika - laitharam Ramachandran

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Remembering Mani Iyer

The rasikas of Madurai Mani Iyer have organised this month’s MMI listening session on August 5, 4.25 p.m., at P.S. High School, Mylapore. For details call 98413 13527.THE HINDU FRIDAY REVIEW DT 3RD AUGUST 2018

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

On June 27th,2018 , lalitharam with support of vishnuramprasad ,(i call lalitharam as musical grandson of GNB and VRP is musical grandson of MMI.) did a fantastic Lecdem. Those are chronicled in this thread .

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31433
Check #1 to #4(rajeshnat)posts on attending live lecdem. The above thread is a MMI within MMI. Personally gives me goosebumps when MMI is the topic.

Essem

Post by Essem »

Is there no other post after Sept 2018? Or is it continued in any other thread.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Came across this article by Ravikiran on Mani Iyer.
https://www.thehindu.com/features/frida ... 750157.ece
---------------------------
May I know the new songs sung by Sri.MMI in Delhi on that occasion?

RSR

Re:

Post by RSR »

arasi wrote: 18 Jan 2010, 18:27 VKV and others have related anecdotes about the great vidvAn to us. Here is an interesting piece of work from none other than SubbuDu which I came across. This piece not only adds to the magnanimity of our beloved MMI but also gives a new perspective on the oft-maligned critic as well.
This must have appeared about fifty years ago in the literary tamizh magazine kaNaiyAzhi. Ten years ago, Kalaignan Padippagam published an anthology of prose and poetry selecting them from what appeared in the magazine through several decades.I find no exact dates to go by.
Here is the translation from tamizh:

Madurai Mani Iyer
by
SubbuDu

It was an unforgettable meeting. I had the great privilege of meeting madhura GAna Mani Iyer. It came about as the result of the review that I wrote of his Mumbai concert in Kalki.
"As usual, MMI sang an AlApanA in shaNmukapriya, swung back and forth with his 'U U-s' and ended the concert with the English note", I had written. I had summed it all up in that one line.
This must have happened six or seven years ago.The very next year, MMI came to Delhi to perform. He said to his host that my review struck him as being out of the way. He also expressed his wish to meet me and to know what I meant to say by way of that one-liner.
I was extremely keen on meeting him. Yet, I felt awkward to face and interview the eminent vidwAn who was obviously upset about my pronouncement. If things got out of hand, how was I going to cope with the situation?--my being younger and lacking in my experience in music? I explained this to Sri. Krishnamurthy (the host?) on the phone. On his assuring me that the discussion would be dignified and meaningful, I went to meet MMI at his place.
As I entered, someone was reading The Hindu to MMI. He was keen on following the daily news. My arrival was announced by Vembu Iyer.
"Are you SubbuDu sir?"
"Yes."
"How come you wrote in such detail about other musicians and made such a sweeping statement about me in a single line?"
"There is a lot I want to convey to you. You are a mahA vidvAn, sangIta sAgaram (ocean of music). If you are patient, I will bare my heart to you."
"By all means!"
"To start with, why do you keep singing the same songs over and over again in your concerts?"
"RasikAs love those songs."
"I agree. Yet, if brilliant singers like you do not popularize at least two songs every year, won't the Trinity's songs be forgotten?"
"Do you want me to ignore the rasikAS?"
"Not really. Cater to them three quarters of the time. Can't you allot quarter of the time to the Trinity?
"Do you know, it takes a year or two to popularize a single song?"
"I agree. But, isn't it your responsibility to develop rasanai in your listeners? Out of the four hundred krutis of TyAgarAjA, not even fifty are in vogue."
"Ah, that's what you are saying!"
"I am prepared to listen to you, whatever you have to say about it.To recognize and to propagate them--isn't that a service to music by vidvAns like you?''
"I have in my repertoire countless krutis. But look at the number of request chits that reach the stage even at the beginning of the concert!"
"Have you tried new song lists at any time and have tested it out?"
"The public doesn't give me a chance!"
"Delhi rasikAs are super rasikAs. You won't find MaharAjapuram, GNB or AriyakkuDi fans as such here in Delhi. We are all just music fans. We are nostalgic about our homeland. We are thrilled to hear good CM from any source. We do not get many chances to hear music in this far away place. Based on all this, why don't you try your experiment here? If I am wrong, I will take back my word and apologize no end..."
"What, VEmbu? This evening, we will sing all new uruppaDis (items). These reviewers perhaps think that we don't know that many krutis!"
That evening, not a single 'rubber stamp' kruti was sung.TyAgaiyyA, DIkshitar, SyAMa Sastry and Sivan danced in glee on that stage. The Statesman the next morning did not contain a review but a dedication. On reading it, MMI sent a congratulatory letter to the editor and he in turn sent it to me.
I treasure it as a priceless possession of mine.
I felt compelled to share this with you folks! Thanks again to KaNaiyAzhi Trust and Kalaignan Padippagam.
=======================================
Can Arasi Madam, help by getting the new songs rendered by Sri.MMI on that occasion?

RSR

Post by RSR »

I went through all the posts but do not remember to have come across this great biography sketch of Madurai Mani Iyer.
https://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org/biography.html
------------------------------------------
If I had missed it, my apologies.
It is wonderfully written.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1934
https://youtu.be/Yl-3TMLFkC0

raju asokan upload
Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1934- accompanied by Kumbakonam T.K.Jayarama Iyer-violin, Tanjore Vaidhyanatha Iyer-mridhangam & Madras Venu Naicker-kanjeera.
Sri Raghukula-Hamsadhwani,
Anuragamule- Saraswathi
Vidajalatura- Janaranjani
Marugelara-Jayanthashree
RTP_ Kalyani_Bhajare Raghuveeram
Ethani Vithangal- Virutham-Ragamaligai
( Kedaragowla, Bhairavi, Dhanyasi,Mohanam,Paras,)
Javali
Madarpirai Kanni-Thevaram-Arabhi
Thirupugaz- NIraimathi Mugam- Hamsanandhi
& Mangalam
=============================================
(my note)
Mani Iyer was born in 1912. This kutchery record was given when he was just 22.
A sample of what Mani Iyer music was in his younger years.
====================================================

RSR

Post by RSR »

INTHA SOWKYAMU
KAAPI
MADURAI MANI IYER
https://youtu.be/4vV4D9CXLe0

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Rare AIR Interview of MMI (in Tamil, maybe someone can translate it for non-tamil readers) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHEFlEY0MVA

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

venkatakailasam wrote: 13 Apr 2012, 19:27 A song by Smt Rajam Pushpavanam daughter of Madurai Pushpavanam posted by vintageaudio54

Rajam Pushpavanam_Krishna Nee Begane..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YADM6GBfnM
Thank you for posting this

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

MMI listening Madurai Mani Iyer session this Sunday (20th) from 4:30 PM to 7 PM, at Vivekananda Hall, P.S. High school, R.K. Mutt road, Mylapore, Chennai. All are welcome!contact CHITTI venu cell 98413 13527😀😃

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_DiwiUy4CU

<<edited out a mis-stated comment>> .

He is in attack mode! His svarams launch into the Avarta like missiles! The word virulent was wrong usage!

Then a beautiful Angarakam. After svarams wrapped up for tAyE yaShoda and song continues with kAlinil cilabu konja, one can only throw up the hands in helplessness and wonder - how such a music could ever be rendered!
Last edited by shankarank on 18 Oct 2019, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

venu sundar wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 22:33 MMI listening Madurai Mani Iyer session this Sunday (20th) from 4:30 PM to 7 PM, at Vivekananda Hall, P.S. High school, R.K. Mutt road, Mylapore, Chennai. All are welcome!contact CHITTI venu cell 98413 13527😀😃
Dear Sir,
May I know if a recording of Sri.MaNI Iyer's concert at New Delhi referred to, in posts 1081 and 1082 above, is available? If so, can you kindly give the songs and ragams rendered by him on that occasion?
Is it possible to upload the concert to YouTube? Wishing GRAND SUCCESS of the planned event on 20-10-2019.
Best Regards.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sri.MaNi Iyer is said to have sung a song in Tamizh on Gandhiji. in Shanmugapriya Ragam. with Raga Alaapanai rt al.
May I have the youtube link, if available?
Last edited by RSR on 18 Oct 2019, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thanks - I edited it out! But conveyed what I meant. Didn't refer the word! English needs dictionary <<:sigh::>>

RSR

Post by RSR »

http://blog.maduraimaniaiyer.org/?p=93#comment-17

"After Gandhiji’s death, Mani Iyer asked his good friend ‘Chitti’ to compose a song on the Mahatma. Chitti obliged and composed the following song, which was often sung by Mani Iyer in the raga Shanmugapriya. Madurai Mani Iyer was an ardent follower of the Mahatma and was called “Gandhi” by his close associates."
-------------------------------------------------
The page has the poem by ' Chitti' in Tamizh.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

MMI - mahAtmA maNimozhi vazhi naDappOm
https://youtu.be/-jFlniistrw
Last edited by Pratyaksham Bala on 19 Oct 2019, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

PBala,
Thank you for bringing this delight :) MMI takes up the first two lines of friend Chitti's ode to the mahatma and makes an RTP out of it. Lilting shanmukhapriya, lovely kAnaDa, hindOlam and sindhubhairavi: mahatma Gandhi maNimozhi vazhi naDappOm. He adds the line: mAndaruL talaivan, Santa muni??
Chowdiah and PMI accompanying him-is my guess. What a delightful morsel :)

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

arasi wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 05:23... Chowdiah and PMI accompanying him-is my guess ...
Madurai Mani Iyer - Thiruvalangadu Sunderesa Iyer - Tk Murthy

Here is the full version - 36.15 minutes
https://youtu.be/rN8RmU2YlnE

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, PBala.

RSR

Post by RSR »

In this particular case, as the lyrics are on Gandhiji, I need a recording upload , which gives all the stanzas in tamil and in Shanmugapriya. only
Kindly help.
மஹாத்மா மணி மொழி வழி நடப்போம்
மாபெரும் தலைவன் காந்தி
மனதினில் மாசு களைந்திடுவோம்
வாழ்வினை மாண்புறச் செய்திடுவோம்
'உலகினில் தீமை ஒழித்திட வருவேன்
ஓங்கிடும் நன்மை யுகம் தோறும்', என
அலைகடல் அரவணை துயில் மாயோன்
அருள்மொழி பலித்திடும் அற்புதம் நிகழ்த்திய
மஹாத்மா
சத்தியம் நிலைத்திட சலியாது உழைத்தான்
சாத்வீகம் சேர்த்து ஒரு சாத்திரம் புனைந்தான்
நித்தியம் வாழ்வினில் நெறியென வகுத்தான்
நினைவிலும் வாக்கிலும் நிகழ்த்திடும் செயலிலும்
பலன் கருதா பொதுப்பணி செய்யும் குணமே
பாரினில் ஒளியாய் பரவிடக் கண்டோம்

நலம் தரும் ராம பஜனைதனை
நாள் தோறும் கருத்துடன் நவின்ற நம் நாயகன்
பக்தியும் தியாகமும் பகைவனுக்கு அருள்தலும்
பாரதப் பண்பெனும் பாட்டிசைத்தே பெரும்
சக்தி மிகும் ஸர்வோதயம் எனும்
சமரச வழியினை சகலருக்கும் அருளிய
- காந்தி மொழி வழி நடப்போம்
Anyway, I am citing the ragamalika link , in the thread in general discussion ' famous ragamalikas of plate music era.' though a ragamailka is supposed to give different ragams as well as lyrics.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai Mani Iyer-Shanmukhapriya-RTP-78 RPM-Pts 1 & 2
https://youtu.be/2-P0VuV8lHI
upload by veteran Sri. APKoil N Sapthagireesan
--------------------------------------
RTP in Shanmugapriya
(on Mahathma )
https://youtu.be/jLND3AsxoYM
Shankar Rajasekharan-upload

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Is anything wrong with me or any one else who gets maximum rAma bhakthi only when the greatest carnatic musician gAnakalAdhara Madurai Mani Iyer sings this song especially :) kalpana swaras :) in suddha banglA of the awesome krithi of sadguru,

As per Vishnuramprasad he told me that this is a radio concert of three legends MMI-MSG-UKS

Madurai Mani Iyer- Mylapore Sundaram Gopalakrishnan - Umayalpuram Kasiviswanatha Sivaraman - 1963 - Radio Concert with RamaBhakthi SAmrAjyam (R,S) -suddabanglA - Thyagaraja

https://youtu.be/Xvj_zSaQfOg?t=338

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@parivadini Lalitharam
Many inclusive of you have talked a lot with me about Thi Janakiraman. Since I cannot read fast and give up on tamil writing soon , my interest on tamil literature is not even at times taking off. You are too far far away in skills there.

Very recently about few weeks back one of my friend Sriram from US, who i lookup a lot in understanding nuances of film music did send me a small 20 mins snippet link of a small short story written by Thi Janakiraman

The 20 mins snippet of a short story by name Seidhi where the whole short story is a running commentary of a nadaswara vidwan struggle to preserve purity of art and a carnatic music appreciation of a thyagaraja krithi written by Thi Janakiraman. This tamil snippet was read by bharathi bhaskar,Tx to her I could get the richness of both content and presentation .

I am wondering how come Thi Janakiraman wrote with such flow and content, one can almost hear the concert with his short story writing .i personally liked it .All these narrations should be externalized to all the non carnatic listeners who generally have a liking of tamil/films/dramas etc to know the greatness of how deep is Carnatic Music.

I am very glad to know through you that Thi Janakiraman likes ganAkaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer. May be he felt then in 1960s, let the world know about MMI and hence gave this commentary in English. His English narration is great .What a joy to hear anyone speaking about one and only MMI. Just a quick question, if he has written any reviews of any musicians or vaggeyakkaras atleast cherrypick and put it in the respective thread in rasikas, space it once or twice a week please.

Tx to Corona i may just read or hear more of this and get into the world of Thi Janakiraman or a better idea is as soon as the corona is over just like your exemplary MMI/GNB/Somu lecdems possibly dedicate only to Thi Janakiraman a lecdem .YOu can be assisted by VishnuRamprasad helping with the snippets of carnatic music packaged . Narration, Reviews and commentary is still not upto the mark compared to actual musical content of CM. All these emulations of Thi Janakiramans could be big game changers to pull more into CM

Just one final thought whenever you put a link just write atleast few lines on what that is in a short synopsis . Thanks to your above link which is MMI- Introduction and narration by Thi Janakiraman in English.

Over to 22 mins Thi Janakiraman short story "Seidhi" in Tamil narration based on nadaswara vidwans and appreciation of carnatic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7JLZo52E3k

RSR

Post by RSR »

This is a short story in Tamizh by Thi.Janakiraman.
''Ayiram piraikaLukku appaal'. It is a parody on the state of CM in the post-1970 generation. His preference for pre-ARI music and HM is clearly brought out .
https://www.valaitamil.com/aayiram-pira ... _1829.html
Janakiraman's Thamizh cannot be translated into any other language- it has to be read in Thamizh only.
Will it help, if I give a transliteration?
-----------------
In this story, an old typewriter ,oldest in the company talks about its owner Lokanatha Iyer and his tastes in HM and CM of old times.
Then it talks about ARI style of concerts and finally of the post 1970 generation of keyboard music. ( derisively).

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thi.jaa. about Madurai Mani (in Tamil)
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/06/1556-234.html

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pasupathy wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 17:52 Thi.jaa. about Madurai Mani (in Tamil)
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2020/06/1556-234.html
Thank you pasupathy Sir. THi jaa has written very concisely as a great eulogy . 2 musicians of himalayan stature who died in 60's one GNB and another MMI did not have that much recordings due to absence of technology and to an extent untimely death. Also the last few years of MMI he also had his ailment. I am assuming thi jaa may have even attended MMI concerts when MMI camped in mayavaram due to fear of world war II .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The pallavi tAnam and svaraprastara is of the highest order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63HwwUyRc_0

Don't miss this :

https://youtu.be/63HwwUyRc_0?t=3731 - My god! Where does this music come from??!!! Mani Iyer(s) and MSG!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Superb writing by you to append the brilliant
thi ja.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

my grandmother while recollecting her nostalgic moments ...

she imitated the signature singing style of MMI by singing a sample of - sri raghuvara sugunalaya

i wonder if there is any recording of this krithi by master? i could not find any.

but i got a version by his shysha - TV Shankaranarayanan
https://youtu.be/YqELYN30Kag

pvs

Post by pvs »

Request to all rasikas:
I have a 3 minute recording (one side of disc?) MMI's sukhi evaro upto anupallavi and am looking for the second half. Please help! Thank you.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

While i willfully missed an opportunity to say not hear a legend like Tiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramanyam(TRS), but damn it i was not even born to hear this supernova Madurai Subramanian Highest Iyer (MMI), i got a message saying today in Rama Navami day (Apr 21,2021).

Where did MMI sing this huseni and kedaram combo? Could that be a mylapore rAma navami or malleswaram rAma navami or matunga rAma navami or mayavaram rAma navami. Pointed sarvalaghu ideas making us all believe Hey this is carnatic music and this is celebration Rama navami. The uploader is BaluMMI sir , thanks to him and also VK Viswanathan Sir (@cacm ) who are the primest prime MMI rasikas who have envious record of hearing MMI and took that joy to atleast few generations forward.

RAmA Ninne Followed by Rama Neepai (Swaras) - huseni and KEdaram - Thyagaraja Rama Navami Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOcuP90QCok

As veeyens sir says Let Rama bless all the carnatic musicians from this rama navami day after you hear the one one and only Ganakaladhara
Last edited by rajeshnat on 21 Apr 2021, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Forgot to add then the link of MMI lecdem by Lalitharam and Vishnuramprasad.
Madurai Mani Iyer Lecdem by Lalitharam@Gokhale Sastri Hall on June 17th,2018
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31433&hilit=lecdem

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

pvs wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 06:12 Request to all rasikas:
I have a 3 minute recording (one side of disc?) MMI's sukhi evaro upto anupallavi and am looking for the second half. Please help! Thank you.
Check this . The recording is bit distorted https://youtu.be/cEgkju67DuM?t=451

pvs

Post by pvs »

Thank you, Rajeshnat sincerely. I think I was not clear in my message. I have listened to MMI's Sukhi Evaro many times from many concerts. I was keen on getting the second half of that particular disc recording. I will try to post the part I have soon. that will likely help. Thanks again.

sikhivahana

Post by sikhivahana »

pvs wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 17:29 Thank you, Rajeshnat sincerely. I think I was not clear in my message. I have listened to MMI's Sukhi Evaro many times from many concerts. I was keen on getting the second half of that particular disc recording. I will try to post the part I have soon. that will likely help. Thanks again.
I think the recording being requested here is the Sukhi evaro rendering from a particular EMI record which had a mix of different recordings- starts with Thaye Yasoda, Kapali... then goes to very young MMI recordings of Orajupu, Parimala rangapate, Dunmargachara, then back to an older MMI with Sukhi evvaro, Maaye. This particular Sukhi evvaro “gets done” with Anupallavi. The source recording from where this song was pulled into this kadambam record is not known.

Is the charanam from this pre-recorded Sukhi evaro available at all?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have both sides of this recording recovered from an old spool tape. If anyone is interested I can upload it.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Lakshman Sir, please do upload.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have sent it.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Thank you Lakshman sir.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

1894. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 283
சங்கீத மேதாவி
https://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2021/07/1894-283.html

Manian

Post by Manian »

Rajeshnat:
Madurai Mani Iyer:

What is different about this genius is , he tried to use “la” instead of harsh “ta” and “ri”. “l” is called lateral in that the air comes through the sides of the tongue in the same place the “t” stops the air (PV α RT formula of thermo dynamics says that when the volume is restricted, the pressure increases, thus the air from the vocal chord is just “stopped” for say about 10 milliseconds. This produces a noise that can be seen in a spectrometer).
The “la” is like a vowel comes out nicely. Also, the “a” with the open neural mouth produces more resonance and that is why it can be heard from a distance compared to “I”,”e”,”o” and “u”. Secondly MMI used the diphthongs – combination of vowels 'ai”,”au”ui” etc., which are not prohibited in Carnatic Music but none before him introduced those sonorous and pleasing sounds. Now, hid MMI innovate on his own and did his own experiments when practicing or did Harikesanallur encourage him? This is not known or documented. However, MMI took the spell bound music one step up without violating the grammar of Carnatic Music.
Professor R. Narasimhan at TIFR, Mumbai had two PhD's EE and Maths. He was always curious and wanted some one to explore the language and music. When, a new PhD one Ramasubramanian (I am told that he was from Presidency college with a Physics BS degree and was quit interested in “Sound” taught one by Kannappa Naiker who had supposedly showed Mr. Ramasubramanian that simple mathematical formulae can replace complex ones. Thus, the student I am told was quite fascinated by it). He also was good at mimicry and can reproduce animal sounds and some instrumental music like vocal Veena and vocal Saxophone. So, with his PhD in Linguistics, he was invited to join TIFR by Prof. Narasimhan. After joining TIFR, Dr, Ramasubramanian also learned vocal music at Bombay. That his how the Music research was started by one scholar. He brought, I am told the first CDC 3600 Computer 32 bit scientific computer (Seymour Cray was the creator) in the World which Dr. Homi Bhbha got for him. Prof. Narasimhan was hired form University of Illinois, Urbana USA by Dr. Homi Bhbha.

Now MMI and music: Dr. Ramasubramanin on his own accord alleged to have told Prof. Narasimhan that Pattern recognition and Pattern matching in mathematical learning can be applied using AI rules to Mimic MMI if possible just like he had done for Tamil Speech Synthesis (Ref. 2nd World Tamil Conference , Chennai : Phonological Grammar of Tamil and it's Application to Speech Synthesis, 1969). I got hold the papers from late Prof. Narasimhan and that is what I was sharing here. Thus, Professor Narasimhan encouraged original research in India.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai MaNi Iyer

sogasu jooda kruthi by Thyagaraja Swami
Kannada GowLa raagam

https://youtu.be/1cppR1IDybk

uploaded by Bala Girish
-------
There are only two kruthis in this raagam by Thyagaraja Swami. ( orajoopu and sogasu ). MMI renderings are very famous.
--------
"
Lord praised by Lord Siva! O Lord with sapphire hued body! O Sacred Lord worshipped by this tyAgarAja!
Is it possible to see anywhere such comeliness as that of Yours?
(a) The shining face with a pair gleaming cheeks;
(b) the feet worshipped by the celestials;
(c) the hands that bestow freedom from fear;
(d) the lovable body that puts to shame the cupid;
(e) the lips resembling the beautiful (red) bimba fruit;
(f) the chest adorned with flowers of vakuLa tree;
(g) the hands that wield arrows and bow kOdaNDa;
(h) the smile;
(i) the curls of hair (falling on forehead); and
(j) the clarity of eyes; -
is it possible to see anywhere such exquisite comeliness?
----------------------------------
http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.co ... -raga.html
========
=========
A blogger's impression here
------
The other day I was listening to a Thyagaraja kriti SOGASU JUDA TARAMA in the raga KANNADA GAULA sung by the great musician Madurai Mani Iyer. The rendering of the song was so scintilating that I instantly fell in love with it. It was just a 7 minute piece and within that short time the musician transported me into a completely new world. What is it about this song and the rendering that captivated me?:

First and foremost is the SAHITYAM, which is in very simple Telugu. ‘SOGASU’ in telugu means Beauty. Thyagaraja, in this song, is glorifying the beauty of Rama….. Besides the captivating beauty of the Lord, nicely brought out in the Sahityam, one is treated with beauty in several dimensions – the stunning simplicity of the language, skillful usage of phrases as he describes Srirama’s face shining with glossy cheeks, His red lips resembling a Bimba fruit, His charming smile, Forelocks beautifully decorating His face etc.

The simplicity of the SAHITYAM is matched every bit by the brilliant rendering of the song by Madurai Mani Iyer. To elaborate on the great maestro’s rendering of the song, Mani Iyer (as he is fondly referred to by his fans) chooses the right tempo for the song (neither too fast nor too slow) laying emphasis at the right words and phrases.

And his ‘swara kalpana’ is excellent as usual, bringing out rich ‘raga bhava’ with each phrase. In particular, watch out for the moment when the artist reaches a crescendo by touching on the Swaras GA & MA in the higher octave.
That is, indeed, a magical moment! It is a double treat for the listeners as Lalgudi Jayaraman, accompanying on violin, matches Mani Iyer phrase for phrase in KALPANA SWARAS and at times even improvised over the vocalist’s efforts.
----------------------------------------
https://csnarasimhan.wordpress.com/2012 ... xperience/

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai MaNi Iyer
concert at Music Academy-1965
============
https://youtu.be/XXRi9EeMRIk
============
upload by Carnatic Connect
============

<quote>
This concert is part of a private archive of about 2000 concerts performed by great maestros from the 1950s to the 1980s. It is proposed to upload the entire archive through this channel. Each concert has been digitally enhanced for maximum listening pleasure.

Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/c/CarnaticCon...

Madurai Mani Iyer - Mayuram Govindaraja Pillai - Vellore Ramabhadran - Alangudi Ramachandran MA 1965

Song List:

01 Vallabha - Begada - Rupakam - Deekshitar 00:00:00
(8 mins)

02 Chandram Bhaja - Asaveri - Chatushra Mathya - Deekshitar 00:08:25
(5 mins)

03 Sahasra kara mandithe - Vachaspati - Adi - Muthiah Bhagavathar 00:13:30
(21 mins)

04 Narada Gana Lola - Athana - Rupakam - Tyagarajar 00:34:08
(12 min)

05 Mohana Rama - Mohanam - Adi - Tyagarajar 00:46:53
(48 mins)

06 Ever Unnaru - Malavashree - Adi - Tyagarajar 01:34:57
(4 mins)

07 Andavane - Shanmukhapriya - Rupakam - Papanasam Sivan
01:38:45
(19 mins)

08 Shri Matrubhootham - Kannada - Mishrachapu - Deekshitar 01:57:07
(8 min)

09 RTP - Bhairavi 02:05:10
(47 mins)

10 Jayathi Jayathi - Khamas - Rupakam - Mayuram Vishwanatha Shastri 02:52:30
------------
viewers' comments are worth reading
------------
(duration info added)

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai Mani Iyer
T S Vembu Iyer - Vocal Support
T N Krishnan - Violin
Vellore Ramabhadran - Mridangam
Alangudi Ramachandran - Ghatam

1. Vātāpi Gaṇapatim Bhajeham - Haṃsadhvanī - Ādi - Muddusvāmi Dīkṣita [00:00]
2. Bṛhaspate Tārāpate - Aṭhāṇā - Tiśra Tripuṭa - Muddusvāmi Dīkṣita [04:58]
3. Ninnu Neranammi - Kāmavardhinī - Rūpakam - Tyāgarāja [09:42]
4. Āḍamōḍi Galadē - Cārukēśi - Ādi - Tyāgarāja [26:12]
5. Sārasamukhi Sakalabhāgyade - Gauḍamallār - Rūpakam - Harikēśanallūr Muttaiyyā Bhāgavatar [50:10]
6. Śrī Kamalāmbikāyāḥ Param - Bhairavī - Miśra Jhampa - Muddusvāmi Dīkṣita [01:07:25]
7. Sītā Vara Saṅgīta Jñānamu - Dēvagāndhārī - Ādi - Tyāgarāja [01:38:37]
8. Evarūrā Ninnuvinā - Mōhana - Miśra Cāpu - Tyāgarāja [02:03:24]
9. Sēvikka Vēṇḍum Aiyyā - Āndōḷikā - Ādi - Muttutāṇḍavar [02:14:29]
10. Rāgam-Tānam-Pallavi (Tenparam Girivēlanē Kuñjari Maṇāḷanē) - Latāṅgī - Ādi (2 kaḷai) [02:20:29]
11. Vēyuṟutōḷi Paṅgan (Viruttam - selection from "Kōḷaṟu Padikam") - Dhanyāsi - Tiruñānasambandar [02:43:27]
12. Vaidehī Sahitam (Śrī Rāma Dhyāna Śloka) - Rāgamālikā [02:47:39]

13. Kaṟpagamē - Madhyamāvatī - Ādi - Pāpanāśam Śivan [02:52:29]
14. Nī Nāma Rūpamulaku (Maṅgalam) - Saurāṣṭra - Ādi - Tyāgarāja [02:55:23]