Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

Has any rasika got ' Subramanyaya namaste ' by MMI?
I will be thankful if it can be uploaded.

N.R.Patanjali

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Patanjali, your lucky day, I just happened to find these two MMI versions in sripathy's folder at sangeethapriay.org

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~sripathy ... aya_91.mp3

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~sripathy ... mbhoji.wma

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

Vasanthakokilam. I am grateful to you for uploading MMI's 'Subramanyaya
namaste'. I enjoyed hearing both the uploads. Thanks and regards. Patanjali

vasanthakokilam

Patanjali, I did not upload them. It was already uploaded by Sripathy at sangeethapriay.org . Credits go to him. I am glad you found what you were looking for.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vkv,
Only thru your upload , I am aware that MMI sings rangapuraviharA in brindavana sarangA(both my favourites.. ) . Always assumed that few artists who were little younger to mmi era(Smt MS Subhalakshmi) , took this rAgam(krithi) for the first time into concerts. thank you!!!
Last edited by rajeshnat on 05 Jun 2007, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear rajeshnat,
Madurai Mani iyer was so curious his repertoire was far larger than what we have in taped concerts. He was a perpetual "student" in that he went to everyone who knew a song& learnt it from the BEST! Its a pity the technolgy has prevented us from hearing him render practically any song one can think of. I am myself working on reconstructing how he would have rendered many such songs; For example Mozart had a very specific pattern; Forwards & Backwards his compositions are highly similar! When I congragulated an artist at Cleveland recently for her "kSHHERA SAGARA" SAYING I was reminded of the immortal Flute Mali Vellore Ramabhadran told me about 1947 concert in Suriyanar koil whwn some one shouted "Kshhera sagar sayana" he immediately rendered it! Acc to V.R. HE STILL REMEMBERS HOW BRILLIANT IT WAS! To conclude some one else shouted"Yeppo varu varo" he said" " Ippo veruvar" & rendered it! pl visit www.vidvan.com where Dr.V.K.B. has said : I am lucky I lived & heard MMI"(Paraphrase). It is a genuine article which echoes the feelings of many....

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

VKV-Good one. YOur introductory speech (I think it is your voice) especially the view of a NASA Scientist on MMI (Closer to realisation of God) and Vikatan review (Suswara Gaandharva Gaanam) speaks volume of Sri MMI.

Your efforts of segregating upload into 8 parts shows how much efforts you should have put to make us happy.

Thank God for introducing you to us !. Also thanks for replying to my personal Mail....

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I am deleting the posts here which are not related to MMI. Please discuss miscellaneous issues like uploading etc in the Q&A section, not here in the same thread. Thanks

cacm

Post by cacm »

I will be posting 2 concerts of MMI with PMI soon at sangeethapriya site soon. PMI has accompanied him a lot.. VKV

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

VKV,
Can you please post the details of the concert and the song list of the 2 concerts you are planning to upload ?

Thank you, SR

new1

Post by new1 »

VKV, thanks in advance. Eagerly awaiting your uploads..

new1

Post by new1 »

There is this mega upload of lots and lots of MMI songs by a fan. Please see URL below
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... ction.html

Pity it is not possible to contact the person that posted this and thank him!. Who is the person that is doing the intro's? Can someone please post concert details, accompanists etc. for some of the songs at least? In particular the mridangam artist for the Kanakankodi vendum song.

raj-123

Post by raj-123 »

i have been trying to listen/watch to MMI performances but rapidshare ones seem to be all deleted. Yes, sangeetapriya has a rich collection of songs. My dad used to admire MMI's live concerts and he said during his school days in Sengalipuram village, MMI used to give live concerts and villagers listen to him with rapt attention.

tambura

Post by tambura »

i listened to mmi rendering nagumomu of tyagaraja, it was fascinating, the swaras simply brilliant. there is also a recording of mmi rendering
the rare sudda seemandini (janaki ramana), the nereval and swaras in janaki ramana are beautiful. ragas like jyotisvarupani and jayenthasena are handled effortlessly by the great legend.

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

I agree with Raj. Where-ever MMI used to sing, even the common people
belonging to various sections of the society used to sit thru' the program
and listen to him with rapt attention. His performances used to extend beyond
midnight with listeners requesting him to sing more and more songs. And he
always obliged them in spite of his indifferent health. On many days, we used
to walk back to our homes after listening to him, since there was no public
transport in those days after midnight !.

veda desikan

Post by veda desikan »

can any one again upload koluvamaragatha in thodi of mmi please

vaidyalk77

Post by vaidyalk77 »

Dear Desikan,

I remeber to have a copy of that famous song..mesmerising... Will locate and upload and post the url..

L K Vaidyanathan
Last edited by vaidyalk77 on 24 Dec 2007, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

veda desikan

Post by veda desikan »

thanks vaidyalk am looking forward for that. i listened to rtp of mmi in thodi and i was mesmerised .

ramchari

Post by ramchari »

I uploaded koluvamaragatha almost a year ago on this forum. Will do so again tomorrow. I can't remember how many times I have listened to this beautiful Thodi.

ramchari

Post by ramchari »

vaidyalk77

Post by vaidyalk77 »

Dear Ramchari

Thanks for uploading the file...It is in wav format and size is a bit large .. Could you make it into MP3 format and upload

I had two versions but I do not seem to have save it in my latest repository

Thanks

Vaidyanathan
Last edited by vaidyalk77 on 09 Feb 2008, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

ramchari

Post by ramchari »

Dear Rasikas,

I shall upload Koluvamaragatha in MP-3 format today

ramchari

Post by ramchari »

MMI- KOLUVAMARAGATHA in MP3

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JZ0MAJ79

vaidyalk77

Post by vaidyalk77 »

Dear Ramchari,

Many thanks for your effort.. the quality of recording is very good.

Vaidyanathan

kannan1940

Post by kannan1940 »

While there are many disciples of Mani Iyer who learnt the art personally from him, I have a friend of mine who learnt the carnatic music in Mani Iyer's style like Ekalavya. He is living in USA and staunch admirer of MMI. He collected as many as casettes as he can and start playing them regularly in his leisure time and learnt to sing the songs in the same way as MMI. He has done like this for more than 10 Years and then took music classes from a learned carnatic man at Cleveland. Today my friend is giving performance on the stage for more than 3 hours with songs of MMI and in the same pani. He is an professional engineer and settled down in Cleveland for the last 4 decades. Recently, he gave a performance at Chennai ( Kannada Sabha in Habiobullah Road). we studied togethjern in Ramakrishna Mission High School, North Branch and he passed SSLC in 1954 and did his engineering at Guindy. He migrated to US somewhere around late 60s.

Ramki is Ekalavya of modern days.

Sevel Krishnan

cacm

Post by cacm »

There will be an occasion to celebrate the great contributions of Sri Madurai Mani Iyer to Carnatic Music. A remembrance celebration will take place on February 26 at 6 PM at Raga Sudha Hall (Ph: 2499-2672, 4207-4040), Mylapore, Chennai. Cleveland Sri V. V. Sundaram, Vellore Sri Ramabhadran and Tiruvanmiyur Asthika Samajam Secretary V Narasimhan will speak. A concert will follow and will feature Neyveli Sri Santhanagopalan accompanied by Sri M. A. Sundaresan on the violin and Vellore Sri Ramabhadran on the mridangam.

All are welcome.

For further information, contact: Dr. V. K. Viswanathan (USA) on his Madras cellphone 99404-11253
Last edited by cacm on 17 Feb 2008, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vkv sir,
That was a beautiful initiative of you. While many of his contemporaries have a yearly rememberance day, gAnakalAdhara shri madurai mani Iyer is always forgotten. Could you please audio record the speeches till the start of the concert and post it sir.It would benefit three generations , the 1st generation rasikas who have heard mmi in live , a 2nd generation of mmi rasikas like me who were born only after mmi left all of us , and a third generation who are just taking baby steps to listen to mmi and are in the process of instantly hooking to know more about mmi .

I have an interesting anecdote to share , 3 years before at a sabha that is run by arusuvai natarajan at egmore , there was a concert of malladi brothers where shri Vellore ramabhadran was playing mridangam. I did ask shri VR who is his favourite artist, this question is indeed a difficult one to answer that too for an artist. He initially answered "there is nothing like a favourite artist, all artists on that day are my favourite artist". I did ask the question with a strong gut feel that he would say MMI.

The concert got over, that being a small sabha hardly only 20 stayed till the end. He was waiting to go home and I was just getting ready to go inside my car . We just exchanged a little smile .Shri VR called me and spoke with a well measured choice of words. VR said "It is very very difficult for me to point one favourite , but to me most of my time my favorite artist is mmi".Then I started recollecting and praised VR of his great sarvalaghu with my limited recordings of mmi and vr together . Then Shri VR went on and on for the next 15 minutes where he recollected a lot his vintage memories. VR added how he used to enjoy playing for mmi especially for krithis like intha sowkhya and sitA pathE etc.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 17 Feb 2008, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

ramchari

Post by ramchari »

Rajesh,

Please share these memories with us. VR must have told you some very interesting incidents about MMI.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Sri Rajeshnat,
Thanks for your constructive suggestions. I am very encouraged by your comments.
We will definitely be recording the entire event in Audio & it will be made available to anyone interested. If the artists give permission to share their concert it also will be made available to any one interested.....
Incidentally all the speakers will be narrating &sharing personal experiences with MMI.As I had stated the idea is to convey the excitement musically & outside music MMI generated.
By the way I have 13 MP3 CD'S OF MMI-MOSTLY FULL CONCERTS- I will be happy to share with anyone interested here. I will be in Chennai till middle of March.

Also there are plans to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of MMI'S Birth on a grand scale(two years hence). I welcome the ideas of anyone about how to remember & honour this great soul which lived among us & let us see transparently what it means to be a creative genius & true Gandhian in action. My email is vkv43034@yahoo.com

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Shri VKV
It was indeed an excellant programme -a tripute to Shri MMI". A speech by Sri.Sundaram and a mini-concert by Shri. Ramabhadran and Lalgudi sir sitting in the first Row.
Before I start the anectodes, please narrate thiis from your pen. Your effort of bringing the MMI fans together in a short time reciprocated by rasikas (the hall is more than full and at least 25 people were standing in Nada Inbam hall) - No words to express my thanks.
I met you and introduced myself. You are really Great.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VKV Sir was a bundle of sarvalaghu energy . He hardly wasted time and particularly I liked his talk where he said "There are other musicians also who needs to have these kind of rememberence day function.He quoted as an example Shri TK rangAchari". To that extent I liked shri vkv being very open in appreciating other musicians too.Since I am assuming Shri vkv will upload the audio , just penning few of my first hear anecdotes (not interested in rehashing what we have discusssed in the forums about MMI). I feel it should find a place in written too,as there are lots of you who may not understand the thamizh speech .

Shri VV sundaram told 2 interesting incidents
1. Usually MMI does not talk about commercials for concert , he would only ask the time/date of the concert and always be willing to accept denominations as given by sabha.
2. Interestingly Shri VVS recollected that Late Shri KVN used to say that "MMI is my mAnasiga guru ,noone has had the affection of rasikas like mmi"

Shri Vellore rAmabadran speech was titled "malarum ninaivugal". He sang 9 different krithis of mmi. VR's voice did crack but still had the bhAvam or perhaps overwhelming enthusiasm to recollect how mmi had sung?

1. MMI starts with a OjegadambA or tatvamariya taramA or nAdathanumanisham , he sang nAdathanumanisham
2. pApanAsam sivan was introduced by only MMI , two krithis in bhairavi one was a brand new "kAtharaum bAlanai"(Lji/Meena help) and the other I have not heard "thaayE Ezhaipaal dhayai"
3. mA jAnaki in kAmbOdhi
4. KamalAmbAm bhajarE in kalyAni
5. etthanai viDangAl thAn - viruththam in kApi ?? , where he also sang how mmi sings this and how Shri LGJ takes it from there in his great style
6. sArasamukhi of HMB in gowDamalhAr
7. veyurO thOLi pangan "kOloru padhigam" in sindhubhairavi ?-- this was the best one
8. bharathiyAr's parukuLLE naLLa nAdu
9. karpagamE
Shri VR recollected when MMI starts kutcheri udanE kalai kattiDum(instantly becomes a hit) .

Shri Narasimhan (Asthika samAjam) spoke and I found his speech scintillating.
I have heard that mmi's best of best concerts was in mAyavaram when shri mmi moved to that town for few years fearing world war II bombings at madras . Shri narasimhan recollected most of his anecdotes centered in mAyavaram. Few interesting anecdotes

1.All the sabhas and temple seceretaries in and around mAyavaram, would usually go with thulasi mAlai to get a date with MMI. MMI with his humility will accept the dates without asking money and he will try to arrange a pakkavadyam artists who are closer to that concert hall avoding inconveniance the organizers.

2. Shri narasimhan recollected his interest in CM started with nAdaswaram and mmi only. He recollected a day where a janaki ramana in suddaseemantani was sung by mmi and then in a temple festival shri TNR played the samein nAdaswaram .

3. Once in a concert MMI was singing somewhere in mAyavaram , the main was kalyAni . There is a late evening train shuttle from kumbakOnam which was just entering mAyavaram, those days lot of rasikas will run to hear mmi. Lots of rasikas alighted from the shuttle and came to the concert late and possibly felt bad that they had missed kalyAni . Shri MMI took the same kalyAni again , sang another krithi which had an absolutely different manOdharmam then what was sung as main , just for those group of rasikas ? This is just amazing to me.

4. I have heard a kAmbOdhi in thiruvisainallur that kAmbOdhi is still called "thiruvisainallur kAmboDhi"

5. Shri narasimhan's experience of travelling all the way from mAmbalam to washermanpet (north madras) to hear MMI concert where Shri MMI sang cakkani rAja was nice too .

6. When Shri musiri was a principal after hearing MMI's vellai thAmarai rendition , musiri said that bhararthi had wrongly written the line as "kiLiyin nAvil irruppidAm" should have been "maniyin nAvil iruppidAm"

I was there only for the speech , unfortunately had to rush due to work pressure . Uday and Sathej may add NSG's concert experience and also if there was anything that I left.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 27 Feb 2008, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Let me recollect some of the memories which might be missing here.

1) Rikshawallah once told the passenger- “Please wait, MMI is going to sing “VeLLai Thamaraiâ€
Last edited by grsastrigal on 27 Feb 2008, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.com/files/95376698/mmi.mp3

a track for the occasion, here at rasikas.org
:)
Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Feb 2008, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear G S Sastrigal,
I was away & just returned to Chennai. I am leaving for USA on 18th night & would like to meet you if our schedules agree....PL CALL ME AT 9940411253. Today 5-6 p.m. I will be at Tatvaloka auditorium to listen to Asthka Samajam Narasimhan &go to W.Mambalam at 6:15 to Amrutha Murali......Regs, VKV

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Thank you very much VKV. It was very illuminating for a late entrant in to Carnatic Music. However, I wish that someone had mentioned Sri Vembu Iyer because of whom Sri Madurai Mani Iyer lived without any worries in the real world.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Sorry VKV Sir, I just read your mail. (I expected your reply in my personal mail from where I sent you the mail) You must be on your way. Thks.
Non-rapidshare people, like me, could not share your upload.

Thank you coolji for your upload. Sorry for being late.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear gesastrigal,
I have left a copy of all the speeches including the second part in Chennai. If you are willing to copy it (mp3 all)- one mp3 disc) pl get in touch with me at vkv43034@yahoo.com vkv

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear sramaswamy,
We had somewhat co-ordinated the speeches to avoid repetition. Neyveli Santhanagopalan had actually talked a little before HE STARTED HIS his concert & specifically acknowledged Vembu Iyer's contributions to MMI ; Specifically he mentioned & echoed your comments about the very CRUCIAL role Vembu Iyer played in enabling MMI to function. Unfortunately he did not wish to upload his concert for his own VERY GOOD reasons. VKV

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Thank you very much . That made me happy :D

sriraman

Post by sriraman »

One of my friend Vijayaraghavan Ph 044-42184967/ 65125167 has good collections of many Masters in Carnatic music including Madurai Mani Iyer.Those interested can contact him for further details.

Sriraman

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Every one,
I tracked down the reported 16 MM MOVIE of MMI in Calcutta during my recent trip to Chennai.. Here is my report:: I actually visited Sri. A.V. at hishouse where Vishnu P had said he saw it etc. It is true there was such a movie but unfortunately it had become useless- FUNGUS ETC- & was destroyed some years ago......A SAD COMMENTARY OF OUR INNATE INABILITY TO PRESERVE & PROTECT OUR PAST ETC.....
The LESSON TO BE LEARNT IS THIS: ANY ONE WITH SUCH VALUABLE GEMS PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH ME at vkv43034@yahoo.com. In this age & stage WONDERS can be done & enough persons are willing to undetake such restorations. It is the least we can do to preserve the BEST FROM OUR PAST. vkv

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Dear VKV Sir,
Many thanks for the update, due to pressure of work I could not get in touch with you after we had met. Besides the 16 mm movie, I had come across several anectodes and photo albums on MMI recorded meticulously by Mr.A.V.'s mother. One of them had a series of concert photos of MMI and there was Mr.A.V who was found playing with MMI with a throw ball. My senior MMI fan friends managed to grab almost all the recordings of MMI that they possesed, converted them into cassette tapes from spools which are now circulated widely among MMI fans through sangeethamshare. It is very unfortunate that we have lost the movie which has shri MMI in flesh and blood right from entiring the concert hall and a major portion of the concert with some speeches as well. Sir, can you share with me the contact details of Mr.A.V. to my mail id vishnuramprasad@gmail.com.
Last edited by VISHNURAMPRASAD on 24 Apr 2008, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

uksharma3

Post by uksharma3 »

...., Late Savithri Ganesan (she was critically acclaimed for her rich resonant voice and creativity, she died in the Ariyalur train accident in 1954). A few more people including some musicians learnt under Shri Mani Iyer, for enriching their knowledge.
Can anyone post Savithri Ganesan's any kutcheri or give a link where I can download her recordings, please.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Sadly none of her recordings are available as she passed away during 1954 by when spool recording was not so popular and was possesed by only very big shots. Am also looking for her gramaphone recordings. None of the known sources of old gramaphone plates like santhanakrishnan or Ali Khan are aware about such a musician. I have one photo of MMI with his disciples Savithri Ganesan and Vembu Iyer.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Remembering Shri Madurai Mani Iyer on his 40th death anniversary. Uploading Sadaananda Thaandavam Sung by Shri Mani Iyer at the Tamil Isai Sangam, in the year 1967 (his last concert at TIS) with Mayavaram Govindaraja Pillai, Vellore Ramabhadran and Alangudi Ramachandran. Recollecting Shri Mani Iyer association with Tamil Isai Sangam : Shri Mani Iyer was one of the earliest Isai Perarignar (1963), to be honoured by the Tamil Isai Sangam. He had an unbroken stint with the Sangam since 1941 when it was founded. A photo dated 23/12/1943 has Shri Mani Iyer with Mayavaram Govindaraja Pillai and Palani Subramanya Pillai performing at the sangam at the George Town (Victoria Hall) also show cases the huge crowd that he draws in the concert including the elites Shri Rajaji and others attending it. The review by Shri Kalki in the Ananda Vikatan highlights the great rendering of Paratparaa Parameshwara in Vachaspathi with neraval and swaras in Hari Ayanum kaana ariyajyothi followed by Thookiya Thiruvadi in Shankarabharanam which drew rounds of applause for his raga renderings, neravals and swaras. Kalki says MMI has proved that he has the ability to draw both Pandithaas and Paamaraas for his concerts and could provide them a tranquil and soulful music with remarkable shruthi shudham and absolute clarity in raga bhavam and original creativity. He wishes MMI for good health and a prosperous career. This review was one of the classic reviews featured in Kalki's collection of reviews released a book sometime back. Here is the link of Sadaananda Thaandavam a tamil isai favourite immortalised by MMI .. http://www.sendspace.com/file/80ag42

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:Here is the link of Sadaananda Thaandavam a tamil isai favourite immortalised by MMI .. http://www.sendspace.com/file/80ag42
Thank you sharing! Priceless!

vasanthakokilam

Thanks VISHNURAMPRASAD for the anecdote and the upload. I do not think about bahudari that much but his first few seconds of alapana immediately brought bahudari to my mind.

Musique4ever

Post by Musique4ever »

Here's a little tribute I wrote for Mama's 40th death anniversary. Hope you will enjoy it.

I normally turn to music whenever my mind is agitated, tormented or weakened. The music of Mozart and the songs of Kishore Kumar never fail to help. In Carnatic music, it is normally M.D.Ramanathan that I turn to. But when one is sad and one desperately needs doses of pure unadulterated Joy, whom else can one think of but Madurai Mani Iyer? Cherubic, gentle, lilting, innocent, joyful, buoyant and pure, the very thought of the man brings a smile to one’s heart. From the tentative and endearing little “Madurai Mani soundâ€

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks for the lovely tribute Sri Rama Varma. I totally agree that listening to the playful strains Madurai Mani Iyer can instill joy in the heart of the listener!