Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
RSR

Re: Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by RSR »

Lakshman wrote: Also the song in Ramrajya-bIna madhur madhur in bhImpalAs is sung by Amirbai Karnataki. The one that Madurai Mani sings in the same tune is composed by Vali (T.S.Rangarajan).
======================================================================================
Lakshman ji -> (about 'kanthan karunai puriyum vadivel' ,,, I am afraid, on both counts, your post may be wrong information..
a) about the Ramarajyam song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJfdVjjTYE

from wiki about Saraswathi Rane
She remained in the field till 1954. Her song from the Hindi film Ramrajya..`Bina Madhur Madhur Kachu Bol’ reached the peak of popularity all over India, and she was awarded by HMV for the highest sale of gramophone records in those times.

b) 'Kanthan Karunai puriyum vadivel' was composed on the request of Mani Iyer by Guhan.
http://stotraratna.sathyasaibababrother ... g/a148.htm

chitti (Sri.Sundararajan) of Manikkodi was a close friend of Mani Iyer at Trichy and Guhan was in that circle.

and further corroboration by an earlier thread in rasikas.org itself
viewtopic.php?t=3453

----------------------------------------------------------------
I have been a target of ire by some in this forum , for my objection to the transliteration schemes for thamizh.
See the massacre here of that glorious song by a site which is well-meaning but unfamiliar with thamizh.
http://pedia.desibantu.com/kandan-karunai/**********************************************************************
GOD SAVE THAMIZH LANGUAGE !
கன்டன் கருநை புரியும் வடிவேல்
அருள் ஒளி ஓடுமாவி கலன்டே அன்பும் ஆஷையும் அரிவுனையன்டே
இர்புக்ஹல் ஊன்டேன் இடர்கள் கலைன்டு இன்புர ஷெஇடிடும் இரவைகை வேல்
வேம்பக்ஹை கொன்ரே வெட்ரி டரும் வேல் வேட பொருளை விளக்கும் மயில் வேல்
னம்பும் அடியார் னலவளர் பொன் வேல் னன்கை வள்ளியின் டிரு னாயகன் வேல்
குன்ரு டோராடும் குமரனின் உருவேல் கோலமயில் னடம் கொன்ஜிடும் ஸெல்வேல்
அந்டம் னாடிடும் ஆடி மக்ஹல் னாம் அன்னை பராஷக்டி அருல் ஷுடர் வேல்
Last edited by RSR on 01 Dec 2016, 15:45, edited 3 times in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Thamizh lyrics for one of the most inspiring and thrilling songs by Madurai Mani Iyer. . Beemplas ragam does that magic in many of the songs ( his veLLaith thAmaraip poovil iruppAL' also partly owes its grand effect to the ragam and of course Barathy's lyrics) . (allied ragams like karnataka devagandhari , abheri and rathipathipriya also create that effect)
கந்தன் கருணை புரியும் வடிவேல்!

அருள் ஒளியோடு ஆவி கலந்தே
அன்பும், ஆற்றலும் அறிவும் நயந்தே

இரு சுகம் ஈந்தே இடர்கள் களைந்தே
இன்புறச் செய்திடும் இறைவன் கைவேல்!
--------------------------------------------------------------
வெம்பகை கொன்றே வெற்றி தரும் வேல்!
வேதப் பொருளை விளக்கும் மயில் வேல்!

நம்பும் அடியார் நலம் வளர்க்கும் வேல் !
நங்கை வள்ளியின் திருநாயகன் வேல்!
------------------------------------------------------------
குன்றுதோறாடும் குமரன் அருள் வேல்!
கோலமயில் நடம் கொஞ்சிடும் செவ்வேல்!

அண்டம் பேணிடும் ஆதிமகள் நம்
அன்னை பராசக்தி அருள் சுடர் வேல் !
( may be the correct version)... Kindly check if we get this by reverse transliteration
Last edited by RSR on 01 Dec 2016, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Dr.Pasupathy-> I have given link to your blog page on advts for MS records. Thank you. I could not however resist the temptation to use just one of those photo advts .
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... ms-records
I hope that you will condone.
---------------------------------------------------------
I used to wonder, why MS did not seem to have given any early record in aberi, karnataka devagandhari, etc so much a favourite of DKP. From the advt page, I learn that she had sung 'nagumomu' in 1936 itself. ( following Musiri'?)
Can we get a link to that 'vintage record?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

RSR: You are right. I was thinking of another songs that was sung by Amirbai Karnataki in Ramrajya. Guhan is the composr of kandan karuNai. Thanks.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Here's a scintillating excerpt of an RTP in (wait for it...) Sindhu Bhairavi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx0Ii4iBPj8

If only we had the entire recording -- I really wanted to see what an elaborate Sindhubhairavi ragam and tanam would sound like.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Will a 45 mt TVS or 16 mts TNS do ?
or 18 mt Mali ?

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

Please post all 3

varsha

Post by varsha »

RSR

Post by RSR »

Varsha ji, I think, there is some mix-up. The 18 minutes piece is not shown as that of MALI. May request you to correct it? ofcourse, after downloading, the listeners can find which is which.. ..Nevertheless....

RSR

Post by RSR »

just now located this in youtube.

https://youtu.be/NHsWDBtENi8

T.R.Mahalingam- Flute-
Ragam-Tanam-Pallavi-SindhuBhairavi (45 minutes)
Shankar Rajasekharan

2 years ago3,082 views

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

Thanks!

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

Balummi wrote: 13 Apr 2012, 13:56 Dear Rajesh ,
Madurai Sri Pushpavanam Iyer passed away, if I remember correct ,when MMI was only 5 years old . There was no chance of even MMI recollecting his voice . How could Semmangudi Mama who was only 9 years at that time could remember it . Probably he could have heard it said from his guru Sri Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer !
Sri Madurai Pushpavanam passed away in 1920 and Sri Madurai Mani was 8 years old then. And he has also mentioned he heard Sri Pushpavanam sing at concerts.
That being so Sri Semmangudi would have been 12 years old. He also told me that he has attended Sri Pushpavanam's kutcheries and waxed eloquent about his singing.
Sri Semmangudi also speaks about this in his talk with Gowri Ramnarayanan, which she published. That article is with me.

Regards

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vsn69 wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 17:14 Sri Madurai Pushpavanam passed away in 1920 and Sri Madurai Mani was 8 years old then. And he has also mentioned he heard Sri Pushpavanam sing at concerts.
That being so Sri Semmangudi would have been 12 years old. He also told me that he has attended Sri Pushpavanam's kutcheries and waxed eloquent about his singing.

Regards
I have heard the tv recording where SSI specifically mentions that he has heard Madurai pushpavanam in person and adds like MMI sings like Madurai pushpavanam.

arasi

Post by arasi »

RSR,
Thank you for for the whole song: kandan karuNai pozhiyum vaDivEl. I couldn't remember several of the verses until I saw your post. Guhan (Radio MAma) composed it, I remember :)

RSR

Post by RSR »

@1064-> Thank you very much, Arasi Madam. Actually, your mention of 'radio mama' in one of your threads led me to search of the author and get the inspired lyrics. Seventy years back, when radio played this song by Mani Iyer, we used to be thrilled especially in the last two lines' unexpected switch from the Son to the Mother!..It thrills today too to the ever-lasting glory of the deities, lyricist, ragam, singer and ...I should add, people who cherish the gem as you do. Regards.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Here's something you and others may relish. Thanks to Pasupathy who tirelessly brings us the history of CM from old magazines--reviews, news items and articles. Yo might have already read this in the Tamizh section (of the Languages forum), in Nostalgia and Musical Morsels threads. The year,1948. For those who don't read tamizh, here goes:

MANI KACHERI (Mani's gem of a Concert)
By Neelam

We all have heard about gandharva gAnam and have read about it-- but haven't listened to it. Yet, we could have a glimpse into it last week at Madurai Mani's concert in Mayilai.
One could say, Mani's concert was a gem of a performance. Or, a ruby. If not, a concert where manis and rubies sparkled. We haven't had Mani's concerts in Chennai the past six or seven months.That he got through the ordeal of a severe illness itself is a relief. To hear him sing on top of it was a blessing.
He is well now. In every way, his music has gained more assets.Those who heard him on Feb 5 on AIR Tiruchi (Was it a relay of the Chennai concert?) would have noticed those welcome changes in his singing. Sangathis which matched the kAla pramANam and the phrasing of them expressed themselves in perfect sruti in Mani Iyer's singing.It used to be that he would sing without continuity at times in fragmented phrases. Not anymore. PiDis and sangathis of azhuttam enrich his music now.
Mani began his concert traditionally with hamsadhvani. For AlApanA and svara prasthAra, he took up kAmbhOdi. Though the tODi he sang before that was a special number, it can't be compared to that kambhOdi which followed.
He sang svarAs for each one of the kritis. In kAmbhOdi, the neraval and svarAs he sang in the charaNam enchanted the listeners.The fine artistry he wrought in the line kANak kaN kODi vENDum (one needs a million eyes to see kapAli) made the audience wonder if listening to him sing, they needed a million ears! Mani then continued this line as the pallavi line in the RTP. With it, he brought a relaxed state of mind and serenity to the listeners, making them forget themselves. BehAg, kAnaDA, kuntala varALi and sindhubhairavi in svara kalpanA followed, and he was stupendous. As for pakka vAdyam musicians--Sri. Rajamanikkam Pillai played like a gem. Pazhani Subramania Pillai's mridangam brimmed with sukha bhAvA. For Madurai Mani to reach the peak of his singing, Pazhani SubbuDu's playing no doubt helped a great deal.

arasi

Post by arasi »

In the same post, Pasupathy has brought a news item about MMI's title Gana kaladhara. It was awarded to him in Thanjavur on the 19th of December,1943--and to this day, we remember him with that title more than with Sangita Kalanidhi! Wonder why. Because it sounds sweet to the ears and suits him to a tee? :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 05:05 In the same post, Pasupathy has brought a news item about MMI's title Gana kaladhara. It was awarded to him in Thanjavur on the 19th of December,1943--and to this day, we remember him with that title more than with Sangita Kalanidhi! Wonder why. Because it sounds sweet to the ears and suits him to a tee? :)
Definitely - A sangIta kalAnidhi is a mere repository of music, while gAna kalAdhAra is veritably the source and prop of the art of music.....

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Yes. That too.However, I thought he was kalAdharA--kalaiyai dharippavar??

sankark

Post by sankark »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QyH8GY47Qk MMI (with LGJ) kalpanAswarams for mOhanam charanam of the varnam at the start

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

sankark wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 21:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QyH8GY47Qk MMI (with LGJ) kalpanAswarams for mOhanam charanam of the varnam at the start
This probably is THE best overall concert I've ever heard in my life. Live or not. I assumed it was Pazhani on the mridangam, but it's actually Vellore Ramabhadran. Wow, what a concert.

RSR

Post by RSR »

arasi madam will like this article.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 715767.ece

sankark

Post by sankark »

Yesterday I caught one of the MMI treasure items - featuring s'bharaNam (enduku peddala) I think there is a tani following this but it was curtailed in the recording (mridangam sounded almost like thavil), karnAtaka kApi (venkatAchalapathE), thOdi (thAyE), dwijAvanthi (cEtah sri) & kAnakkaN kOdi amongst others. What a beaut!

The query - who are the accompanists?

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

கான கலாதர மதுரை மணி அய்யர் ரசிகர்கள் சங்கம்

மணி அய்யரின் நினைவுகளை பகிர்ந்து கொள்கிறார் 

ப்ரபல வயலின் வித்வான். சங்கீத கலாநிதி, டாக்டர், திரு. எம். சந்த்ரசேகரன், 

முன்னிலை மூத்த மிருதங்க வித்வான் திரு.கே.எஸ்.காளிதாஸ்.

பின்னர்,  மணி அய்யரின் கச்சேரி தொகுப்புகள் சிலவற்றை கேட்டு மகிழுங்கள்.

நாள் : 26.01.2018

இடம் : விவேகானந்தா ஹால், P.S. மேல் நிலை பள்ளி, மயிலை, சென்னை.

நேரம் : மாலை 4 .15 முதல் இரவு 7.45 வரை. 

அனைவரும் வருக!

தொடர்புக்கு சிட்டி வேணு cell 9841313527 email esvee45@yahoo.co.in &esvee45@gmail.com 

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

GAnaKalAdhara Madurai Mani Iyer Rasikas Association Presents

Madurai Mani Iyer rememberance day on 26/01/2018 FRIDAY!

at Shri Vivekananda Hall, P.S.High School, R.K.Mutt Road, Mylapore, Chennai.

Presided by Violin Maestro Sangeetha kalanidhi Dr.M.Chandrasekaran

Mridangam Maestro Shri.K.S.Kalidas participates and felicitates

Program

4.15 pm : Prayer followed by Welcome Address by Shri Chitti Venu

4.30. p.m: High Tea

4.45 pm : Felicitation by Shri.K.S.Kalidas

5.00 pm : Recollections and Tribute by Dr.M.Chandrasekaran

5.30 to 7.45: Guided Listening Session of some rare vintage concert of 

Ganakaladhara Madurai Mani Iyer

7.45 pm: Mangalam

All are cordially welcome!

CONTACT CHITTI VENU 9841313527

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Madurai Mani Iyer and Kanchi Paramacharya

Kanchi Paramacharya had a special affection for Madurai Mani Iyer. These two incidents are a proof for the above statement.

1. Mani Iyer was a great devotee of Maha Periava who treated Mani Iyer like his own child. Mani Iyer saw Sri Periavaal as Sri Kapaaleswarar, Sri Parameswara himself. Once Mani Iyer was singing in his presence after he had lost his eyesight. While singing he heard someone accompanying him with beautiful rhythm. After completing the song, he wanted t to know from Vembu Iyer as to who was accompanying him with such a beautiful rhythm. Immediately Sri Maha periava intervened and told Mani Iyer that it was he with a peel of orange in his hand like kanjira. "Naan thaan appaa taalam potadhu!", Suddenly Mani Iyer broke down with tears and cried "Appane Kapaaleeswara! parameswaraa! "en" Periavaala thaalam potadhu?" He cried and told "En periavaalai paaka mudiyalaye, enge irukkaa" Periyavaal in his voice filled with kaarunyam replied "ido un pakkathileye irukkenappa" Mani Iyer repeatedly told "Appane Kapaaleswaraaa! Parameswaraa!" and prostrated. Periavaal blessed him with his own benign smile like a mother to her child. (Free translation)
by Baraneetharan, in Anandavikatan. less

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mark your calendar on this sunday,June 17th,2018 at Karpagambal Nagar , Gokhale Sastri (not srinivasa sastri) hall.Supernova -Ganakaladhara Madurai Mani Higher with the most observant rasika - laitharam Ramachandran

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Remembering Mani Iyer

The rasikas of Madurai Mani Iyer have organised this month’s MMI listening session on August 5, 4.25 p.m., at P.S. High School, Mylapore. For details call 98413 13527.THE HINDU FRIDAY REVIEW DT 3RD AUGUST 2018

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

On June 27th,2018 , lalitharam with support of vishnuramprasad ,(i call lalitharam as musical grandson of GNB and VRP is musical grandson of MMI.) did a fantastic Lecdem. Those are chronicled in this thread .

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31433
Check #1 to #4(rajeshnat)posts on attending live lecdem. The above thread is a MMI within MMI. Personally gives me goosebumps when MMI is the topic.

Essem

Post by Essem »

Is there no other post after Sept 2018? Or is it continued in any other thread.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Came across this article by Ravikiran on Mani Iyer.
https://www.thehindu.com/features/frida ... 750157.ece
---------------------------
May I know the new songs sung by Sri.MMI in Delhi on that occasion?

RSR

Re:

Post by RSR »

arasi wrote: 18 Jan 2010, 18:27 VKV and others have related anecdotes about the great vidvAn to us. Here is an interesting piece of work from none other than SubbuDu which I came across. This piece not only adds to the magnanimity of our beloved MMI but also gives a new perspective on the oft-maligned critic as well.
This must have appeared about fifty years ago in the literary tamizh magazine kaNaiyAzhi. Ten years ago, Kalaignan Padippagam published an anthology of prose and poetry selecting them from what appeared in the magazine through several decades.I find no exact dates to go by.
Here is the translation from tamizh:

Madurai Mani Iyer
by
SubbuDu

It was an unforgettable meeting. I had the great privilege of meeting madhura GAna Mani Iyer. It came about as the result of the review that I wrote of his Mumbai concert in Kalki.
"As usual, MMI sang an AlApanA in shaNmukapriya, swung back and forth with his 'U U-s' and ended the concert with the English note", I had written. I had summed it all up in that one line.
This must have happened six or seven years ago.The very next year, MMI came to Delhi to perform. He said to his host that my review struck him as being out of the way. He also expressed his wish to meet me and to know what I meant to say by way of that one-liner.
I was extremely keen on meeting him. Yet, I felt awkward to face and interview the eminent vidwAn who was obviously upset about my pronouncement. If things got out of hand, how was I going to cope with the situation?--my being younger and lacking in my experience in music? I explained this to Sri. Krishnamurthy (the host?) on the phone. On his assuring me that the discussion would be dignified and meaningful, I went to meet MMI at his place.
As I entered, someone was reading The Hindu to MMI. He was keen on following the daily news. My arrival was announced by Vembu Iyer.
"Are you SubbuDu sir?"
"Yes."
"How come you wrote in such detail about other musicians and made such a sweeping statement about me in a single line?"
"There is a lot I want to convey to you. You are a mahA vidvAn, sangIta sAgaram (ocean of music). If you are patient, I will bare my heart to you."
"By all means!"
"To start with, why do you keep singing the same songs over and over again in your concerts?"
"RasikAs love those songs."
"I agree. Yet, if brilliant singers like you do not popularize at least two songs every year, won't the Trinity's songs be forgotten?"
"Do you want me to ignore the rasikAS?"
"Not really. Cater to them three quarters of the time. Can't you allot quarter of the time to the Trinity?
"Do you know, it takes a year or two to popularize a single song?"
"I agree. But, isn't it your responsibility to develop rasanai in your listeners? Out of the four hundred krutis of TyAgarAjA, not even fifty are in vogue."
"Ah, that's what you are saying!"
"I am prepared to listen to you, whatever you have to say about it.To recognize and to propagate them--isn't that a service to music by vidvAns like you?''
"I have in my repertoire countless krutis. But look at the number of request chits that reach the stage even at the beginning of the concert!"
"Have you tried new song lists at any time and have tested it out?"
"The public doesn't give me a chance!"
"Delhi rasikAs are super rasikAs. You won't find MaharAjapuram, GNB or AriyakkuDi fans as such here in Delhi. We are all just music fans. We are nostalgic about our homeland. We are thrilled to hear good CM from any source. We do not get many chances to hear music in this far away place. Based on all this, why don't you try your experiment here? If I am wrong, I will take back my word and apologize no end..."
"What, VEmbu? This evening, we will sing all new uruppaDis (items). These reviewers perhaps think that we don't know that many krutis!"
That evening, not a single 'rubber stamp' kruti was sung.TyAgaiyyA, DIkshitar, SyAMa Sastry and Sivan danced in glee on that stage. The Statesman the next morning did not contain a review but a dedication. On reading it, MMI sent a congratulatory letter to the editor and he in turn sent it to me.
I treasure it as a priceless possession of mine.
I felt compelled to share this with you folks! Thanks again to KaNaiyAzhi Trust and Kalaignan Padippagam.
=======================================
Can Arasi Madam, help by getting the new songs rendered by Sri.MMI on that occasion?

RSR

Post by RSR »

I went through all the posts but do not remember to have come across this great biography sketch of Madurai Mani Iyer.
https://www.maduraimaniaiyer.org/biography.html
------------------------------------------
If I had missed it, my apologies.
It is wonderfully written.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1934
https://youtu.be/Yl-3TMLFkC0

raju asokan upload
Madurai Mani Iyer - Kucheri Set of the 78RPM era, circa 1934- accompanied by Kumbakonam T.K.Jayarama Iyer-violin, Tanjore Vaidhyanatha Iyer-mridhangam & Madras Venu Naicker-kanjeera.
Sri Raghukula-Hamsadhwani,
Anuragamule- Saraswathi
Vidajalatura- Janaranjani
Marugelara-Jayanthashree
RTP_ Kalyani_Bhajare Raghuveeram
Ethani Vithangal- Virutham-Ragamaligai
( Kedaragowla, Bhairavi, Dhanyasi,Mohanam,Paras,)
Javali
Madarpirai Kanni-Thevaram-Arabhi
Thirupugaz- NIraimathi Mugam- Hamsanandhi
& Mangalam
=============================================
(my note)
Mani Iyer was born in 1912. This kutchery record was given when he was just 22.
A sample of what Mani Iyer music was in his younger years.
====================================================

RSR

Post by RSR »

INTHA SOWKYAMU
KAAPI
MADURAI MANI IYER
https://youtu.be/4vV4D9CXLe0

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Rare AIR Interview of MMI (in Tamil, maybe someone can translate it for non-tamil readers) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHEFlEY0MVA

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

venkatakailasam wrote: 13 Apr 2012, 19:27 A song by Smt Rajam Pushpavanam daughter of Madurai Pushpavanam posted by vintageaudio54

Rajam Pushpavanam_Krishna Nee Begane..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YADM6GBfnM
Thank you for posting this

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

MMI listening Madurai Mani Iyer session this Sunday (20th) from 4:30 PM to 7 PM, at Vivekananda Hall, P.S. High school, R.K. Mutt road, Mylapore, Chennai. All are welcome!contact CHITTI venu cell 98413 13527😀😃

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_DiwiUy4CU

<<edited out a mis-stated comment>> .

He is in attack mode! His svarams launch into the Avarta like missiles! The word virulent was wrong usage!

Then a beautiful Angarakam. After svarams wrapped up for tAyE yaShoda and song continues with kAlinil cilabu konja, one can only throw up the hands in helplessness and wonder - how such a music could ever be rendered!
Last edited by shankarank on 18 Oct 2019, 18:54, edited 2 times in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

venu sundar wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 22:33 MMI listening Madurai Mani Iyer session this Sunday (20th) from 4:30 PM to 7 PM, at Vivekananda Hall, P.S. High school, R.K. Mutt road, Mylapore, Chennai. All are welcome!contact CHITTI venu cell 98413 13527😀😃
Dear Sir,
May I know if a recording of Sri.MaNI Iyer's concert at New Delhi referred to, in posts 1081 and 1082 above, is available? If so, can you kindly give the songs and ragams rendered by him on that occasion?
Is it possible to upload the concert to YouTube? Wishing GRAND SUCCESS of the planned event on 20-10-2019.
Best Regards.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sri.MaNi Iyer is said to have sung a song in Tamizh on Gandhiji. in Shanmugapriya Ragam. with Raga Alaapanai rt al.
May I have the youtube link, if available?
Last edited by RSR on 18 Oct 2019, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thanks - I edited it out! But conveyed what I meant. Didn't refer the word! English needs dictionary <<:sigh::>>

RSR

Post by RSR »

http://blog.maduraimaniaiyer.org/?p=93#comment-17

"After Gandhiji’s death, Mani Iyer asked his good friend ‘Chitti’ to compose a song on the Mahatma. Chitti obliged and composed the following song, which was often sung by Mani Iyer in the raga Shanmugapriya. Madurai Mani Iyer was an ardent follower of the Mahatma and was called “Gandhi” by his close associates."
-------------------------------------------------
The page has the poem by ' Chitti' in Tamizh.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

MMI - mahAtmA maNimozhi vazhi naDappOm
https://youtu.be/-jFlniistrw
Last edited by Pratyaksham Bala on 19 Oct 2019, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

PBala,
Thank you for bringing this delight :) MMI takes up the first two lines of friend Chitti's ode to the mahatma and makes an RTP out of it. Lilting shanmukhapriya, lovely kAnaDa, hindOlam and sindhubhairavi: mahatma Gandhi maNimozhi vazhi naDappOm. He adds the line: mAndaruL talaivan, Santa muni??
Chowdiah and PMI accompanying him-is my guess. What a delightful morsel :)

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

arasi wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 05:23... Chowdiah and PMI accompanying him-is my guess ...
Madurai Mani Iyer - Thiruvalangadu Sunderesa Iyer - Tk Murthy

Here is the full version - 36.15 minutes
https://youtu.be/rN8RmU2YlnE

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, PBala.

RSR

Post by RSR »

In this particular case, as the lyrics are on Gandhiji, I need a recording upload , which gives all the stanzas in tamil and in Shanmugapriya. only
Kindly help.
மஹாத்மா மணி மொழி வழி நடப்போம்
மாபெரும் தலைவன் காந்தி
மனதினில் மாசு களைந்திடுவோம்
வாழ்வினை மாண்புறச் செய்திடுவோம்
'உலகினில் தீமை ஒழித்திட வருவேன்
ஓங்கிடும் நன்மை யுகம் தோறும்', என
அலைகடல் அரவணை துயில் மாயோன்
அருள்மொழி பலித்திடும் அற்புதம் நிகழ்த்திய
மஹாத்மா
சத்தியம் நிலைத்திட சலியாது உழைத்தான்
சாத்வீகம் சேர்த்து ஒரு சாத்திரம் புனைந்தான்
நித்தியம் வாழ்வினில் நெறியென வகுத்தான்
நினைவிலும் வாக்கிலும் நிகழ்த்திடும் செயலிலும்
பலன் கருதா பொதுப்பணி செய்யும் குணமே
பாரினில் ஒளியாய் பரவிடக் கண்டோம்

நலம் தரும் ராம பஜனைதனை
நாள் தோறும் கருத்துடன் நவின்ற நம் நாயகன்
பக்தியும் தியாகமும் பகைவனுக்கு அருள்தலும்
பாரதப் பண்பெனும் பாட்டிசைத்தே பெரும்
சக்தி மிகும் ஸர்வோதயம் எனும்
சமரச வழியினை சகலருக்கும் அருளிய
- காந்தி மொழி வழி நடப்போம்
Anyway, I am citing the ragamalika link , in the thread in general discussion ' famous ragamalikas of plate music era.' though a ragamailka is supposed to give different ragams as well as lyrics.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Madurai Mani Iyer-Shanmukhapriya-RTP-78 RPM-Pts 1 & 2
https://youtu.be/2-P0VuV8lHI
upload by veteran Sri. APKoil N Sapthagireesan
--------------------------------------
RTP in Shanmugapriya
(on Mahathma )
https://youtu.be/jLND3AsxoYM
Shankar Rajasekharan-upload

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Is anything wrong with me or any one else who gets maximum rAma bhakthi only when the greatest carnatic musician gAnakalAdhara Madurai Mani Iyer sings this song especially :) kalpana swaras :) in suddha banglA of the awesome krithi of sadguru,

As per Vishnuramprasad he told me that this is a radio concert of three legends MMI-MSG-UKS

Madurai Mani Iyer- Mylapore Sundaram Gopalakrishnan - Umayalpuram Kasiviswanatha Sivaraman - 1963 - Radio Concert with RamaBhakthi SAmrAjyam (R,S) -suddabanglA - Thyagaraja

https://youtu.be/Xvj_zSaQfOg?t=338