MaNakkAl Rangarajan

Carnatic Musicians
Rishi Sharma

Post by Rishi Sharma »

I had the bhagyam of visiting Sri Manakkal Rangarajan at his place in Indira Nagar on 30th July 2009.
I just called their house that morning and spoke to Mami. She told me that I can visit them that day itself, but if I want to see Sri Sriram I have to be there by 12pm as he had a concert at Kanchipuram that evening.
They have a lot of warmth towards their rasikas and well-wishers. Sri Rangarajan was talking to us about his beginnings, the various photos on the walls and his KalaimAmani award which he received after much persuasion of Sri Kunnakudi. As it was around lunchtime, Mami requested us to have food.
I felt very much at home when I was with them.

I am attaching a photo taken at their house..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks! Very nice picture. Glad to know that the Maestro and family are keeping well!
My personal regards...

rajeshnat

Re: MaNakkAl Rangarajan

Post by rajeshnat »

:geek: wrote
Talking of Manakkal , it gives me great pleasure to announce that work has been launched on making a documentary on Manakkal Rangarajan . Funded purely by individuals , This is going to be yet another rasika-initiative . I talked about this long long ago at the carnatica debate and we are now acting on it .
While the announcements will be made by the real people behind this first attempt , My brief has been to tap into the thoughts of various Vidwans and Rasikas to help us leave a definitive document on these Masters .
And help continue this process , for a series of masters (still with us ) to whom we owe so much.
I spent a couple of hours with the Director of this project yesterday ( who has 21 documentaries to his credit - his most challenging one being on Subrahmanya Bharathi , by his own admission) who has also written a book of film appreciation .That book is a text book for several Universities, too.
This is a quick update .
Any written analyses of Manakkals Music , photographs , and anecdotes about the Man himself , would be welcome and used in this project . Being a rasika-initiative , the lines of developing the story is not expected to be on standard formats.

I will be starting a separate thread on this a bit later , but since you mentioned Manakkal , I thought I should tell something here.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

This is wonderul news :geek: Hope manakkAl sriram and his grandson also reviews the progress of the same. Would love to see the same soon...

veeyens3

Post by veeyens3 »

Award for the great musician.
Date:18/12/2010 URL: http://www.thehindu.com/2010/12/18/stor ... 770400.htm

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Great News! Congratulations Maestro!
You are our Living Legend!

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

There are only two Nagumomu worth listening (my opinion) ..one of BMK and other of Manakkal...with his rich timbre of voice and ravai saareeram it is a treat to listen...Nagumomu itself is a fast paced briga laden song and to hear from Manakkal is wow,,,,particularly at the Ganaleni and back to Nagumomu ...then the sangatis at the Charanams....simply great

cienu

Post by cienu »

A nice write up on the doyen in todays "The Hindu"
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article1018366.ece

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

I
Manakkal Rangarajan-Sri Kanthimathim-Hemavathi(swarams excerpt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUvQlEJ7nSM&NR=1

Chetha Sri Balakrishnam - Manakkal Sri Rangarajan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STS_cQQ-srI

Like the above a few videos have been kept for posterity

Thanks to us rasika for posting.

venkatakailasam
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 30 Dec 2010, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Nice article. It's really wonderful to know that he was a self taught musician. He belongs to select few self taught musicians like Veena S Balachandar & Mali.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Please read the post #157(in page 7) that I wrote and also read the below reply post which is a replica of #161 which got truncated because of migration early this year(I had this post thank god). This post #161 that is going to be posted next is a post of manakkAl sriram. Best wishes to rangarAjan sir
Last edited by rajeshnat on 30 Dec 2010, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Manakkal Sriram writes

Rajesh,
I was having a hectic tight scheduled programme last week and I just now saw your touching points about Appa. Two days back Appa had also been to Pudukottai for a kutchery organized in the memory of my Guru Palghat Mani Iyer. Naturally, Appa gave a performance giving special emphasis on Laya.

Regarding your points about Appa,which I enjoyed very much, I also wish to share with you some of my feelings. You had guessed rightly that appa was poor in the marketing area. He was not at any time sick. He was always bubbling with energy and enthusiasm and he could sing for any number of hours and music is his breadth. His stamina was amazing and he never knew tiredness in music Otherwise, in those days how could he have given daily three kutcheries a day and full night open concerts in Kerala. He would sing full throated irrespective of whether there were two rasikas or twenty thousand rasikas. ( In Pudukottai also he gave a three and a half concert even at this age continuously without a pinch of tiredness).

My feelings are
1) Appa knew only music and nothing else. He did not know public relations and was very principled. He was a poor observer of people. For example, a sabha organizer would have spoken to him the previous day, after a couple of days the same organizer would meet him somewhere in a function but Appa will not recogonise him. The organizer would be hurt and would think wrongly about appa as an egoistic man. He did not know how to speak at the right time. I was also very young and immatured at that time. Appa lost his father in his early days and there was nobody to advise him on this matter. My uncles could have done it , but they failed to. He was reserved and if rasikas flocked around him and praised him he would just nod his head.

2) Appa was very rigid. He was allergic to records or tapes being taken during the concert. Be it anybody including any VIP or being the Sabha President, he will not care for it. He will be adamant in the tape being not taken and then only continue the performance.

3) I think Appa’s origin to the music arena , the timing was wrong. Appa had entered the Music arena quite early equally competing with stalwarts of those days like GNB, SSI, MMI, etc., though my Appa was several years younger to them. That was the evergreen golden era of music where all were stalwarts. Appa must have been overshadowed or merged in that. Then only, a new era of musicians came into being after sometime. If Appa’s entry had been a little later, I think he would have reached the highest peak.

4) Appa ,when he entered , straightaway gained popularity and was established. Offers came to him in abundance and he did not have to struggle for a chance. This itself was a disadvantage, according to me. Appa did not know the suffering of getting a chance in a Sabha. For him, every place, whether big or small, was the same. For him, it was a cakewalk. If he had struggled in the beginning for establishing himself, then he would have thought in a different angle. But right from the beginning veterans like Chowdiah, rajamanickam Pillai, Palghat Mani Iyer, Palani Subramania Pillai, etc. were interested in accompanying him.

5) Leaders from Rajaji to MGR were his fans but Appa did not capitalize on that. He was very confident about his music. He would say, they know how I sing. If they want let them do something for me I will not ask for any favour. He did not believe in Biodatas also.

6) MGR was a great admirer of Appa’s music. In 1957 or 58, MGR was taking care of Kalaivanar’s daughter’s marriage at A.V.M. Rajeswari Kalyana Mandapam. At that time MGR had listened to the radio performance of my Appa ( till then he had not seen my Appa at all) and was so impressed and came straightaway to meet Appa at home and requested Appa to sing for the reception. Appa had some other Kutchery that day but MGR said, never mind I will change the date of the reception but Manakkal should sing. Appa sang for the reception and MGR was full of praise for Appa. Later few days before becoming the Chief Minister he had presided over the concert of Appa and myself as a ten year old boy was on the Mridangam. He kissed me on the stage and spoke in public about me “Pullikku pirandadu Punai Aaguma”. A few days later he became the Chief Minister . If appa had put in a word to MGR , certainly MGR, having the highest regard for appa would have honoured him in many ways as well as made him the Asthana Vidwan of the State. With thousand of Commitments behind him as Chief Minister, how can one expect MGR himself to do it on his own for Appa without Appa reminding him. Appa did not realize these things.

7) The Kalaimamani Award was given late to Appa. You will be surprised if I tell you that few artists had come to Appa and got recommendation letter from him stating that they deserve to receive the award. It is the truth. You will be more surprised if I tell you that S.D. Sundaram was the chairman of the Kalaimamani Award for many years those days and he was a great admirer of Appa and had also learnt some songs from Appa. But Appa would not give a biodata or put in a word to Sundaram. So, they started assuming that it had already been given to him.

8) When Kunnakudi was in charge, he arranged a concert for my appa for the raga research December Series. On the phone, he asked appa whether he should put the Kalaimamani title for him, in the Hindu. Appa told him you can put it only if I had received it. Kunnakudi was shocked and could not speak for a few minutes. Then, he told Appa that he thought that it was given to him years back. Then he asked him I am here for the past three years, why did you not tell me this. Appa told him that you know that I am not in the habit of telling. Then only, Kunnakudi started exploring whether any other stalwarts have been missed to be given the award. Kunnakudi made it a point that even if it is late, appa had to receive it .

Appa has been singing from the inception of All India Radio. But he was given the Atop Grade just a couple of years back in spite of the fact that he had always been cooperative with AIR. He was in Agrade for all these decades. During Agrade till recently he used to get a letter stating that the next recording they would send to Delhi and after testing it they would decide whether he is fit for Atop grade. Appa would send the letter back stating that he was not interested in it and that he did not wish to get insulted in his last stages of his life, to get rejected. The judges who test my appa would certainly be junior to Appa . Is it fair for anyone to test the music of Appa who has competed with the likes of SSI and MMI. But somehow he received the Atop grade too late only couple of years back.

In Thiruvaiyaru Appa is even now a king there. He always sings in the main time there. But for the past 4 years , in spite of his Atop Grade,I am finding that whenever AIR Trichy broadcasts his performance from Thiruvaiyaru they just keep him in the afternoon timings,around 13.00 P.M.( worst timing where no madras relay is there) when amateurs are kept. That too, they keep only one song out of three songs. Even juniors are broadcast in the night timing with songs for whole half an hour. Appa is accustomed with all these things and he accepts it.

Even the padmashri award, if Appa had sent a bio data or put a word to the then President R.V., he had high chance of receiving it.

I started playing the Mridangam from 1970’s. My attendance in the school and college days was very poor. From 1970 to the period of 1985 Appa was having daily performances outside madras, throughout India , especially in kerala but not much in Madras. I have played frequently for the 3hours Thaye yashoda which CM lover mentions. I have enjoyed the golden moments . because the carnatic music scene underwent a drastic change only during the 90’s. You will not believe your ears rajesh if you listen to that Thaye yashoda appa sings, even Nadaswaram and Thavil vidwans will surrender to my father. CM lover is blessed to have seen it happen.

Only a few years back I started explaining to appa, the value of the Cds and the importance of he Biodata for an artist. He is able to understand these things now and I am happy that I have succeeded in spreading his music through Cds to the world and to a certain extent, people are able to recogonise him now.

But, all said and done, we have no regrets at all. Appa is always at joy. He is blessed with a gifted voice and good health till present. He is blessed with a good family and peaceful life. He has sung everywhere to his heart’s content with all the extraordinary veterans and gained true respect in the music field. Once he has committed a date for a performance, even if he is offered any amount of money for another performance on the same date he would not change it on any account. Couple of years back he had been abroad also to Singapore, Malaysia and a two month successful tour to London where people were amazed at his disciplined performances at this age. Even next month he is going to be honoured in Trivandrum. He has not at any time adhered to cheap means for the purpose of gaining popularity. He has lived a Gauravamana life till now.

As Rajesh Nat says, The asura sadhaka he has done, the vidwat and Gnana he possesses, and the daring confidence with which he can sing any song, it is impossible even to imagine it. I am blessed to be the proud son of such a living legend of music.

Rajesh, Appa and myself missed you badly for these two performances recently, one in narada gana sabha and the other one Muthiah Bhagavathar’s compositions.

No doubt our CM lover and your uncle are truly fortunate to have listened to my Appa in those days. As your uncle says, even Hindustani Musicians would envy my Appa’s Dwijavanti.

Btw, 4th September was Appa’s birthday. He was born exactly in Avani Rohini Nakshatra. So every Gokulashtami is his birthday.

Rajesh ‘s message had tempted me to write down my feelings. I am not in the habit of talking these things. Since it is the rasikas.org I thought that we can truly share our feelings. Hope I have not tested all your patience.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Prasanna
That is a very interesting post. Particularly rangarajan mama is now 88, and he is been singing only for 62 years, that means he has started his concert only from the age of 26. In the age of young musicians adding years of their farex and lactogen days to their concert experience , his honesty is very refreshing .

Also there was 19 sangathis of pallavi in samAnevaru in kharaharapriyA , the ex doordarshan famous reviewer H Ramakrishnan has highlighted that point , it just shows there is so much musical spark in him

I have heard his "‘Kaatruveliyidai Kannamma" , his rendition was very moving . Particularly would love to hear his slow moving mAnji varugalAmO. It must have been a great contrast to his usual style of singing.

Pranams and happy newyear to the great musician. Hope his documentary is going in full swing.

prasanna

Post by prasanna »

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

HnumAnE - malayamArudham..A composition by Arunachala kavi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtqWyXlfWw

natakapriyan

Post by natakapriyan »

Dear Rasikas , Please do attend the release function of Documentary "Carnatic Musician of the Era" on Manakkal.S.Rangarajan by VIMBAM(Landon)on 21st July 2012 @ 6 pm @ Vidyabharathi,56 Beemasena Garden road, Mylapore. You can have preview of the Documentary and enjoy Abishek Raguram's concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

manakkAl shri Rangarajan is 90
http://www.sabhash.com/music/resource/6 ... today..htm

For better housekeeping , recently reviewed manakkad dvd release is in the below url
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19658

prasanna

Post by prasanna »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

prasanna wrote:Samanam Evvaru - Bliss!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbLtEtKd ... e=youtu.be
Prasanna
Thank u , what a finesse , in the clip hearing while rangarajan mama renders a lighting sangathi from 05:05 to 05:10 is very good . MAmA indeed had an extraordinary stamina, with three percussions and a violin you still hear his majestic voice. I am assuming his daughter is in the violin(is her bhanumathi or something almost forgot her name) , who are the other accompanists, perhaps you can help or manakkal sriram can help?
If possible post his jujAvanthi too???

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

If possible post his jujAvanthi too???
Here's a Dwijavanthi of Manakkal Rangarajan( a composition of his brother, M Varadharajan...) + some more! ;-)

Ravichandrika
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2sisvSmroc

Varali
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-YAPGWXF1E

Nasikabhushani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4zNPDnw_lQ

Dwijavanthi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQFvGEWayh8

Neelambari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-nzPa0lV0

The AIR concert is typical of many I've listened. Usually will include a composition of his brother, a forgotten composer nowadays. A pity.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thank you pasupathy Sir.
While i have heard a bit better dwijavanthi in a live concert in ma-mini few years back, still there is a freshness in listening to his brother manakkal varadarajan composition in dwijAvanthi ,especially his ishta deivam being lord muruga. Few like karthikai balAnai in maand of manakkal varadarajan is just haunting.

Coming back to the above url ,i heard varali, ravichandrika , neelambari and dwijAvanthi . One has to see the originality of manakkal rangarajan , every sangathi has weight,weight and only weight :) . He is not interested in giving any melodious light touch because say the ragam is neelambari . I talked once with rangarajan mAma - he told me he had a manaseega influence from gnb and ssi , i added mmi(tooo) .

Certainly rangarajan mama though minimally learnt from his appA and his few brothers -But majorly a self taught musician perhaps was silently guided only by TNR nadaswara brigha laden far :ymparty: reaching throat parampAra. Will hear nasikabhooshani in my leisure tomorrow

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Dear Rajeshnat,

Amen to all you said...so nicely! My brothers and I were great fans of Sri MR in the 50's.... and have listened to a lot of MR's concerts.... The AIR concert is so typical ...there will always be one song of his brother. Great!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pasupathy wrote:Dear Rajeshnat,

Amen to all you said...so nicely! My brothers and I were great fans of Sri MR in the 50's.... and have listened to a lot of MR's concerts.... The AIR concert is so typical ...there will always be one song of his brother. Great!
Pasupathy Sir
About 2 years back when manakkal rangarajan was felicitated in PSS, many dignataries like Shri psn, TRS mama etc all talked . I was not agreeing where TRS mama was referring that manakkal rangarajan was not recognized at all . Actually if you have followed rangarajan mama , he was a super star from 1940's to 1960's or 1970's . What happened after that is only a mystery where recognition did not happen .. manakkal sriram , his son gave quite a few reasons mainly attributed to poor PR from rangarajan mama in a post that is in this thread.

Putting that aside , i have heard 3 anecdotes of rangarajan mama .

1. CMLover has listened to a longest todi in suchindram
2. Cleveland sundaram said he was a witness as an young boy in thiruchendur , where mama sang to about 40,000 to 50,000 rasikas.
3. My periappa who is 80 , also has said he has heard and was mesmerized by manakkal though in 1950's only in madras. There was a time few rasikas like him who crossed from being an intense gnb fan to manakkal rangarajan.

If you have any interesting anecdotes that you heard you can relate. May be you can pull also your brothers experiences.Take your time and write a long post on what all you heard live about manakkal rangarajan mama.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 25 Jan 2014, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

HE was such a super star that literally a fan club for him existed & we used to pester Sabha secys but we were all college students & had very little clout. As PRACTICALLY EVERY ONE EXCEPT MS, GNB, MMI, MLV, DKP were DOMINATING the scene to such an extent MOST OF THE GREATS LIKE TKR, KBS, DESIGAR,EVEN SSI had a HARD time getting places. Persons like Somu gravitated to a niche following. Manakkal was put down with the false argument that he ALWAYS sang too fast etc & was one dimensional WHICH WAS NOT TRUE. He also as an ARTIST was UNCOMPROMISING+ as his son has pointed out PR was not his strength......Anyways only those who bent their talents to prevailing winds like SSI got anywhere.....VKV

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Amen to VKV!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The below url to the best of my knowledge was not shared. When MAli who has so much sathiyam presents a diamond ring to shri manakkal rangarajan , what can any one say?

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 019365.ece

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Rajesh for enlightening us..

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Manakkal Rangarajan-Reethigowlai & Vachaspathi- Part1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0NTNWs ... jpu4mpJUj0

Manakkal Rangarajan-Vachaspathi & Dwijavanthi Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsZLM8J ... j0&index=1

prasanna

Post by prasanna »

Sri Manakkal Rangarajan passed away today at his residence.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Oh What a sad news? Yes he lived his age by god's grace.Music Academy did not acquit itself creditably and honored him with TTK award in 2010 in his late eightys.He also deserved Sangeethakalanidhi and should have been conferred at least three decades ago.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Really sad news. 😢
Condolences to his family and disciples!
May his soul RIP

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

--------------------------------------------------------------
THoughts about great vidwan Manakkal Rangarajan - Part 1 of 5
What I have written in the past about manakkal rangarajan Mama in rasikas

1. rajeshnat discovery of manakkal Rangarajan mama dated Sept 02,2007
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=276&hilit=manakkal ... 150#p57413

2. Rajeshnat took few photos at manakkal rangarajan mama house in indiranagar , Chennai. WE had a series of 20 plus concerts and one concert was also held in rangarajan mama house . His son manakkal sriram and his extended family were very sweet , lot of rasikas core contributors went .
Check viewtopic.php?f=12&t=276&hilit=manakkal ... 150#p52441 and scroll and atleast see the photo with PMI and with great leader rajaji.

3. CMlover was a big time paithiyam of manakkal rangarajan . Here is his comment about he hearing manakkal rangarajan at suchindram , rangarajan mama did neraval and swaras of taaye Yashoda for close to 2 hours in sucheendram
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=276&hilit=manakkal ... 150#p57416

4. Once Cleveland Sundaram told me that he has heard near his home town around trinelveli a mega concert . Forgot the place , I am only stating his name as sundram sir does not exagerrate at all . I am yet to find the url as sundaram sir spoke in one event that i attended

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thoughts about great vidwan Manakkal Rangarajan - Part 2 of 5
5. Manakkal sriram wrote a brilliant post about his appa . His pluses and minues , lack of PR . Manakkal sriram post was lost when migration happened . I saved in my notepad and reposted with my id.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=276&hilit=manakkal ... 75#p184084

6. CMLover lamenting about how he as intense rasika of manakkal , in his generation they did not write much about rangarajan mama in his prime days.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=276&hilit=manakkal ... 150#p58035

7. There was a lovely manakkal rangarajan dvd documentary celebrations held in partha . I and thanjavooran have covered it
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19658. Prasanna who posted the obiturary is the son of the daughter of manakkal mama.

8. CHeck the post of rajeshnat and a next reply by cacm (vkv sir) on manakkal perception of then to very recent
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=276&hilit=manakkal ... 75#p256510

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thoughts about great vidwan Manakkal Rangarajan - Part 3 of 5
9. Few Folks in UK like Jayaram and Rishi sharma have played a big role in recognizing mama in UK and invited him . Photo of RIshi with manakkal family
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=276&hilit=manakkal ... 75#p147906

10. manakkal rangarajan@IIT Madras on April 17th,2007
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2549&hilit=rangarajan#p45443

11. manakkAl rangarAjan@rAgasudhA on April 28th,2010
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13101&hilit=manakkal

12. Manakkal Rangarajan himself gave an exclusive concert for rasikas team at mantra's house . That was exclusive HMB concert. For few months my work pushed me out of India i did not attend this concert .My bad luck :cry: Review by Late Ramaraj Sir - himself a respected vageyyakkara and song list given in post #19 by manakkal sriram in the below url.
manakkAl rangarAjan@Nungambakkam (concert #6) on August 25th,2007
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3504&hilit=manakkal

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thoughts about great vidwan Manakkal Rangarajan - Part 4 of 5
13. manakkAl rangarAjan@MusicAcademy (Mini) on October 31st,2008
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7178&hilit=manakkal
Personally rajeshnat thinks manakkal rangarajan is a clever concotion of very heavy SSI+GNB and a minor lining of MMI.
Manakkal rangarajan mama singing an exclusive Muthuswami Dikshitar compositions.

14. Bharath lovely review of Carnatica-Tattvaloka with MC and VelloreRamabadran in Dec 2006. Also check post of #7 of coolkarni
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1535&hilit=manakkal

15. One recording just to illustrate Rangarajan mama and his music with speed and slow typecast (vachaspathi swaras in kantajoodumi and dwijavanthi alapana with akhilandeshwari).See the vocal finesse
https://youtu.be/lsZLM8JBm6g?t=144 for his vachaspathi swaras in turbo charge mode.No wonder even Flute Mali said I cannot play like your voice

AND

https://youtu.be/lsZLM8JBm6g?t=561 for few minutes his dwijAvanthi alapana . Rangarajan mama in dwijAvanthi was pristine and brilliant.

16.Attn @ManakkalSriram or @Prasanna(maternal grandson) - There was a video recording that manakkal sriram put of his marriage reception where rangarajan mama invites somu, semmangudi etc. Rangarajan does namaskaram to semmangudi. Can you trace that and put that video recording again, I have lost it.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thoughts about great vidwan Manakkal Rangarajan - Part 5 of 5

17. Typing this just documenting my visit to his house around 2012
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is a fresh post typed as of Mar 2019 . I once went to manakkal rangarajan mama house around 2012 or so. I went to see him after manakkal sriram invited me many times to his home. I genuinely wanted to talk with rangarajan mama. THat evening when I went sriram and family had a marriage reception to attend and he left me almost alone with rangarajan mama. Few important conversations between me and manakkal mama

Rajesh : I asked him about ragam kalyani
Manakkal Rangarajan : In our days most of the time we always sing kalyani as the main krithi. We many times sing krithis like yeta unara

Rajesh: I asked if he could sing atleast one krithi or snatches
Manakkal Rangarajan : He said rajesh i cannot . I donot sing for any one person or few persons at home .I will only sing for GOD in my pooja room everyday.
Rajesh : I left it at that

Rajesh : I told that about 40 or 50 years back your anna manakkal varadharajan has come for few times to my house to teach my atthai few songs .
Manakkal Rangarajan : O appadiya . I dont know or recollect your family

The conversation between rajesh and rangarajan mama was like Award Winning Malayalam National Movie. One or two sentences and then equally a long silence. :D

THen quite a few questions he was too much into thinking something deep. At times he was putting talam and singing and humming. He started asking me few questions if I have heard GNB SSI chembai MMI or TNR. I got a fresh rejuvenation feeling .Those were considerably bit of my strong areas -thanks to internet, I started perhaps gaining bit more respect . Roughly after half an hour , the silence got considerably narrower. Rangarajan mAmA had a very deep respect particularly for Chembai is what I had thought - not really sure.

Manakkal Rangarajan : He said if you dont mind I would like to do a pooja and I usually sing one song .Can you wait here in the hall and I will come after some time . He said I want to talk with you bit more for sure about music. I will tell bit more about my music in my days

Rajesh : I decided that I should not stay long at his house and said Mama I will leave despite his genuine offer to talk with me . At that moment I just felt I should not hear what he is singing in his pooja room from the hall that I am seated.

All said , I am just stating that rangarajan mama was just thinking music and possibly he was quite pious atleast during evening time . I am not even half his age at that time . I am assuming this is what many great vidwans/vidushis have at times .They just donot bring that shade of PR and spoken communication skills . THis post is not meant to slamdunk manakkal rangarajan mama at all. On a sidenote i think two musicians manakkal rangarajan and TK rangachari gives me the feeling that i can throw my perennial carnatic idols MMI SSI and GNB collections out and just listen to these two.

18. I personally love and adore his kamalAptakula and bhuvanutha but that is commercial . Few years back Rangarajan Grandson posted nagumomu in abheri. This is manakkal rangarajan with very very minimal vocal support . Two great artists in mrudangam and ghatam(@ManakkalSriram or @prasanna may i know who the mrudangist and ghatam artist is) is rocking with rangarajan in the below abheri.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/lqgcepk1 ... gumomu.mp3

19.Manakkal Rangarajan is simply a great musician who challenged majorly GNB and SSI for sure . Lack of Media support in musicians career in second half will pull say even if Lord Narada decides to be a performing musician .

20. Manakkal Rangarajan mama lived upto 97 years as a meteoric undocumented musician :idea: :idea: ,two years more than even the meteoric and well documented semmangudi :idea: .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Manakkal Rangarajan mama's DVD is available to be viewed in youtube. Thanks to the benevolence to few group of London rasika like R Padmanabha Iyer and Director Amshan Kumar who did the DVD out of sheer musical respect for this vidwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4W0EhLDE8o

shanks

Post by shanks »

I believe this is a recording of Manakkal Rangarajan.
https://archive.org/details/81WHOISTHIS

Seems to be a part of a concert at the navaratri mandapam.
It is clear that T N Krishnan is on the violin.

Would be great if someone can confirm.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The above is not Manakkal Rangarajan. It is C.S.Krishna Iyer, Navarathri Mandapam concert. I discussed with some super senior vidwans and confirmed this. Very engaging concert. IN fact, I already got the first song and I was searching for the full recording. C.S.Krishna Iyer was a faculty in the Swati Tirunal Academy and was singing for many years in the Navarathri Mandapam. Thanks for posting this here.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Manakkal Rangarajan never sang in the Navarathri Mandapam.

shanks

Post by shanks »

Thanks for identifying C S Krishna Iyer.