Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

<<why is it that certain artists are more equal than others in this forum>>
CAN YOU NAME A FEW
THE MORE EQUAL ONES
THE OTHERS
>> the favourites of some prominent & importants members of this forum.>>
AGAIN CAN YOU NAME A FEW PROMINENT MEMBERS AND THEIR FAVOURITES ??
<<might not have heard Sriram >>
THE ANSWER IS THERE IN THE POSTS .the members have heard him.
YOU SHOULD READ CAREFULLY.
<<There is no point in pouncing on a member for his views.>>
REMEMBER , NOT LONG AGO A REVIEWER WROTE ABOUT AN ARTIST MIXING UP RAGAS , WHILE IT TURNED OUT THAT THE ARTIST WAS DOING A GRAHABHEDAM !!
<<Will this forum accept anecdotes from say Kunnakudi>>
:D
I AM READY WITH MY CLIP ON HIS PLAYING Moochu Udame vasikyala , therima , Violin Le ,, His version of SPB's famous song line in one breath...

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

coolkarni wrote:I AM READY WITH MY CLIP ON HIS PLAYING Moochu Udame vasikyala , therima , Violin Le ,, His version of SPB's famous song line in one breath...
LOL. Good one.

maNNil indakkAdalanRi yArum vAzhdal kUDumO. from kELaDi kaNmaNi.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

srkris wrote:"theeyinAl sutta puN ullArum ArAdE
nAvinAl sutta vadu"
I agree with you. In fact that that you should be the way this forum must go & that is the reason why I don't post often eventhough i am keen follower of the various posts. My response was not in specific refernce to this thread but a general observation about the direction discussions take in the forum. I again repeat that let the discussions be healthy based on the issue not the the poster or the artist.

Coolkarni

If you read posts of arasi & CML you will find that they have accepted that their exposure to Sriram is nil to rather limited.

I again repeat that I posted not in refernce to this particular thread. I have heard quite a few live concerts of Sri.MR and Sriram & I am a fan of Sri. MR. But let's not go overboard either for or against an artist.

srkris, here is one more

"iniya iruppa innatha kural
kaniyiruppa kai kavrnthatru"

rajumds

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

In fact that that you should be the way this forum must go
In fact that should be the way this forum must go

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear rajumds
If you read posts of arasi & CML you will find that they have accepted that their exposure to Sriram is nil to rather limited
is indeed an unfair statement.

you have failed to read my post carefully
But I recently heard a few gems of MR accompanied by Sriram on the first set of CDs released and I was amazed by his versatility. He has also been legitimately praised as a childhood prodigy
As much as I am nota laya expert I could not detect kaNakku slippage.

Those are immaterial! You appear to question the independence of our view points. Each of us have our own identity and defend our territory. There is no conspiracy to put down anybody at the Forum. We take our job of curbing illegal activities as also not-so-decent postings. In my view gaanam had not produced enough 'evidence' to support his views objectively. I was not ready take just his words. Further I know MR from childhood onwards and could not brook the insult of 'paternalism'.

Perhaps you need a lesson in objectivity!

arasi

Post by arasi »

rajumds,
As you have pointed out, I had made it clear that I had not heard Sriram play. I
did not comment on his playing either. My feelings were based on vaLLuvar moZhi as well. When Gaanam was excessive in his criticism, I felt bad for Sriram.
When I read Sriram's posting, it gave me a glimpse into his background and I encouraged him to do better in his playing. Child prodigies have their share of angst even otherwise, in balancing their lives and art. They do not need added
berating.
In all this, we should not forget Gaanam's apologies over the incident. His behavior has to be called gentlemanly.
'sollambugaL' in life and in art are damaging and it is best to avoid them if we can...

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

CML

<<We take our job of curbing illegal activities as also not-so-decent postings.>>

All that i ask is that apply the rules to such postings about ALL artists

rajumds

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

I have been reading the recent postings with some interest. Let me offer my observations on this little 'incident':

1. It's not fair to hide under the cover of anonymity, then trash an artiste on a public forum. I know, 'Anamika' does it in Sruti magazine, but s/he mostly restricts her/his comments to gossip/trivia, not the technical aspects of music.

2. The anonymous person admitted s/he based his/her comments on what s/he heard over the mobile phone. Can you get a good appreciation of a kutchery this way? I wonder. I happened to be right in the auditoriums during all the London concerts, and my own feeling is that Sriram's mridangam playing was of a high standard. I must admit, my knowledge of the layam aspect of Carnatic music is based solely on 30+ years of listening.

3. Finally, in my considered opinion, Manakkal Rangarajan is precisely the kind of artiste who hardly does any self-promotion, nor does he promote his son, unlike many of the artistes on the Carnatic music world. Sri Rangarajan doesn't seem to have established the kind of network required to get the big awards for himself - how else can you explain why an artiste of his seniority and vidwat has not been awarded the Sangeeta Kalanidhi.
Having said that, I am aware the great MDR himself didn't the SK pattam, so Manakkal is in great company! During my interactions with Manakkal, the one thing that stood out for me was his integrity and adherence to the attitude of 'let my music speak for itself'. To accuse him of such things is simply unfair.

Thathaastu.

Jayaram

baz1908

Post by baz1908 »

I had the great oppurtunity to sit on same stage as Sriram sir during one of Rangarajan Iya's programs in London. It was a slightly nerve-wracking for me being on stage with a Legend like Rangarajan Iya.

I have to say Sriram sir is one of the best Miruthangam artists I have played with or heard. I hope I get another chance like that and wish Sriram sir and his family all the best in Chennai.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

abadri wrote:...
And here is the track that hooked me on to Shri Rangarajan's music first,
(thanks of course to Raju sir as always!) - a wondeful SankarABaraNam for
the ages (rAgam, tAnam, followed by MD's dakSiNAmUrtE)
[rapidshare links deleted]

Looking forward to more samples and hopefully Shri Sriram's participation :)

Thanks
-Badri
Shri Badri: I was going thru this thread again, and found your article above with the reference to the Sankarabharanam RTkriti. The link has disappeared now - could you upload the recording again please?

Thank you very much.

Jayaram

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Last edited by mahesh3 on 02 Sep 2006, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Thanks a lot Mahesh. Great stuff.
Now - you wouldn't have the whole concert, would you? (greedy, greedy :-)

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

sorry jayaram, this was the only upload of k-ji i downloaded @ the time. There was also seemingly a wonderful upload of Kaa Vaa Vaa that I missed, that I am still hoping to hear, but not been happening.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

I am listening to the Dakshinamurthe of Manakkal as I am writing this. This man is a genius!

Truly a living legend. And the last of a dwindling breed of great masters from a golden age. I only wish more people get to listen to him.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Pl. reload Sri.Mannakkal S Rangarajan's- Dakshinamurthe ( Shankarabharanam) in rapidshare. Thanks

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Here's Manakkal's rendition of Dakshinamurthe:

<<deleted>>

Enjoy! Happy Diwali to all!
Last edited by jayaram on 26 Nov 2006, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

---
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 26 Nov 2006, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Kumaran

Can I request you to withdraw this link.
I have had a phone call from the Manakkals , to this effect.
While acknowledging your interest , The Manakkals wish to inform you that These tracks were not meant for bulk upload in any case , and considering the fact that some of these are going to be published shortly as commercial , It would be appropriate for this link to be removed.
Your post, thanking Sriram is likely to put him in poor light with the publishers of the forthcoming releases.

Hope you understand.
The Silver lining is that this music will now reach a wider audience and we can be happy for that.
I wish to inform the same to Jayaram , too-for the link just above this.
Regards

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

rajumds,

it is 'inia ulavaka innatha kooral
kaniyiruppa kaai kavarnthattru'

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

My apologies to the Manakkals. There must be a misunderstanding of sorts as I was under the impression that permission was expressly granted to publish those particular tracks. And yes, I know of Sri Sriram's efforts to release them commercially and there was a note to that effect in a .txt file in the .zip archive download link I posted up. The collection was meant to merely whet rasikas' appetite!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

let us look forward to the concert on dec 2nd and the releases..
thanks for understanding..

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Agreed. I still feel it makes sense to upload a few samplers in a popular location like sangeethapriya.org so that more people are exposed to his music. This can only increase sales of the commercial CDs.
Last edited by jayaram on 26 Nov 2006, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

jaisree

Post by jaisree »

A new album with excerpts from live concerts of Shri. Manakkal Rangarajan is being released by Carnatica on Dec. 1st, before his concert at Tattvaloka. (See http://rasika.carnatica.net)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

And the first 10 albums are reserved for rasiaks.org members,
at 10 % discount
right ??

:)

ramanathan

Post by ramanathan »

Cmon cool-ji, enlightened members of this forum who know the true value of Manakkal's music should be willing to pay a premium, not ask for a discount!!!! ;) :D

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I was just Kidding.
You guys spoil us in the first place by offering free Concerts !!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

I thought Manakkal's music was priceless!
Last edited by jayaram on 30 Nov 2006, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Jayaram
You remind me of My Dads advice in the GOOD old days when we had LITTLE money and came across a book or tape that was...and had to make a decision.
"Remember My Son, No one ever pays the Price of a good book or a tape.JUST THE PRICE OF PUBLISHING IT.The full price ,we will never be able to pay those great souls."

jaisree

Post by jaisree »

Here's the album that's being released tomorrow:

http://carnatica.net/shoppingarcade/Prd ... php?id=195

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Shri Manakkal (circa July 2006, in London)

Last edited by jayaram on 01 Dec 2006, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Manakkal concert - London, June 2006

Last edited by jayaram on 02 Dec 2006, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

just finished listening to the CD released by carnatica. A must in every serious listners collection. don't miss it.

meena

Post by meena »

deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Thank you Meena. The title of the news-item says it all: Manakkal Rangarajan gets his due
Still can't get over the fact that this event attracted only a small audience. :(

meena

Post by meena »

deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

THANKS, Meena!

meena

Post by meena »

:)

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

My bad, should have posted it here too. Meena, thanks for posting it here.

meena

Post by meena »

My bad, should have posted it here too. Meena, thanks for posting it here.
shripathi THANKU :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

meena wrote:u got to hear this, just one word WOW
pallavi demo by Sree Manakkal in Kambhoji :

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~sripathy ... ration.mp3
I just got around to hearing this. WOW!!

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

manakkalsriram wrote:Tamil Puthandu treat. Just a few songs of Appa.
http://www.badongo.com/file/2745484
http://www.badongo.com/file/2747435
Excellent kAmavardhani & Sweet Mohanam !!!

I have heard Mannakal Sir singing dArini telusukonti in Shuddha Saveri in an AIR, Madras recital about 3 decades back..........it still lingers my ears! If this song is available it's requested to be U/L. Thanks in advance.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Mahavidwan Manakkal with Chowdiah, Murugaboopathy, Krishna Iyengar (kanjira) & Vilvadri Iyer (Ghatam), a concert photo came in the magazine Naradhar in 1954. The concert held at Gopalapuram Sangeetha Sabha in Madras with a comment "miga abhaaramaaga paadinaar"

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Aha! Those majestic looks which he still hasn't lost!
(Lakshman! Can you sharpen the picture?)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I did some photo manipulation.. not sure if it is any better..

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Dear Vishnu - thank you so much for this gem!

The picture of his on the jacket of one of the CDs from the set that Sriram brought out last year, shows the maestro in his younger years. What kaLai (grace)!

Truly a living legend.

manakkalsriram

Post by manakkalsriram »

Kosmic has released the CDs of Appa(Sri Manakkal Rangarajan) . The Cd titled
'Swara Raga' consists of two parts. I was going through the Hindu this morning and I was delighted to see my father's CD review (since it was unexpected). Few months back Krishnaji(Kosmic) approached me and told me that he was eager to release Appa's Cds. I told him that if he did it I would be the happiest man on the earth. I had always been sad that Appa's music(from the evergreen golden music era) had not come out as recordings and not known to the world as it should have been. Appa did not realise the value of the appreciation these recordings could give him and he always showed lack of interest in it. I am always an obedient son of appa and never gone against his interests at any point of time. From my childhood days more than a son I was mad after the music of Appa. In those days radio concerts were valued most. I remember now also during my childhood days I used to take bath thrice to listen to the night concert (9.15 to 10.30) concert of Appa so that I would listen to it fresh. I will be dreaming about it from the morning. Just a year back I realised that it was high time Appa's music was known to everyone. I saw the rasikas.org and there I saw rasikas stating Where is manakkal's recording. Why it is unheard. People started enquiring me why your father's music recordings could not be found anywhere. Then only, I started waking up. Better late than never. Whatever precious recordings I was having I thought that I should take action before it got destroyed. I started making Cds from the spool tapes. I made about a dozen Cds. Still I am having lot of cassettes and recordings to be converted to Cds. I used to dream in my younger days that Appa's recordings should be heard in the car abroad. Last year the dream came true. In London, due to the effort of one gentleman Pathmanabha Iyer( mad after appa's music) he spread all the Cds and made it known to the people of London . He was the one who arranged our performances there. The people of London could not believe their ears when they heard the Cd of nagumomu , Ninuvina,etc. that a human voice could sing such miraculous speed. It became a regular affair in their cars and they were amazed that even their cars could not go at such a speed. I would always worship Pathmanabha Iyer in my lifetime for his untiring efforts to recogonise Appa. Not to speak of our jayaram, who has always been a constant and stauch supporter of Appa. I convinced Appa that these recordings should go out and people should hear it. Now he is so happy to see and hear his own recordings and jumps at joy like a child when people appreciate his recordings. Carnatica Sashikiran had also requested me if I had any of Appa's old recordings. I gave him and Carnatica released it a few months back. All these thoughts came to my mind after Kosmic's release this morning and I just shared with you. Kindly don't mistake me if I have tested your patience by writing too much.

But now this Kosmic CD has a different story. Krishnaji when he got these recordings in his hand (the fact is that he had not heard much of Appa before) and listened to it he was spellbound and he rang me up and told me that ' What music it is. Can anybody sing like this and that rarely had he heard like this. I was happy at Krishnaji's appreciation because krishnaji is a straightforward man and does not know false flattery. He told me that it is a mystery why such an extraordinary artist has not been recogonised. Now, how Krishnaji came to get these recordings and released it. None other than our superman Coolkarniji. It was introduced by Coolkarni known for having such priceless old possession. Coolkarni had been to our friend T.V. Ramaprasad's(young superstar artist) house and had wished Ramprasad to share the joy of listening to Appa's music excerpts what he had enjoyed. Ramprasad rang me up and told me that he was out of words to describe it. Ramprasad ,in turn, shared it with Krishnaji when he had visited Ramprasad's house. Krishnaji became excited and said, "I can't keep quite after listening to such music. I will have to release it, otherwise it would be a sin. " Ramprasad in turn had informed this to Coolkarni. Coolkarni, always a true server of music, took the trouble of contacting me in spite of my being in London at that time and gave me this message and I was at the peak of joy. Due to people like Pathmanabha Iyer, Coolkarniji, Ramprasad,Krishnaji,Jayaram and all rasikas including rasikas.org and others, my lifelong wish has come true in reality.
But the link of the review I am unable to get from the website of Hindu.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

The Pleasure was mine, too.As well as TV Ramaprasadh who introduced Rangarajans music to the Producer , when he was actually involved with the Production of his own album.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kji/Sriram/Ramprasad/Krishnaji:
'endarO mahAnubhAvulu - mIku mA vandanamu'!
Thanks for preserving such priceless pieces of our divine heritage! I certainly hope that more and more of Sri Rangarajan's music is made available to those of us who were not fortunate to have heard his live concerts.

It was thrilling to feel that rasikas.org may have played a small part in this!

arasi

Post by arasi »

It took THIS long, but it happened! Thanks to each and every one of them that were responsible for the release of Sri. Manakkal Rangarajan's music. That it can be heard and appreciated by the younger generation in his own time, is the best part of it all...