Ganesh Kumaresh

Carnatic Musicians
narcot

Post by narcot »

I enjoy listening to Ganesh Kumaresh's semi-classical / fusion pieces. I am looking for their rendition of the Navarasa series. It would be great if someone can email them to me

narcot@sify.com

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Narcot,

Pl refer to the "rules"

http://www.rasikas.org/misc.php?action=rules

No recordings of current artists since they are very likely to be copyrighted.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

narcot wrote:I enjoy listening to Ganesh Kumaresh's semi-classical / fusion pieces. I am looking for their rendition of the Navarasa series. It would be great if someone can email them to me

narcot@sify.com
Can we assume that the brothers do not render serious/quality CM?

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

kaumaaram wrote:
narcot wrote:I enjoy listening to Ganesh Kumaresh's semi-classical / fusion pieces. I am looking for their rendition of the Navarasa series. It would be great if someone can email them to me

narcot@sify.com
Can we assume that the brothers do not render serious/quality CM?
Of course you can't assume that...

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I have attended one concert of the Ganesh-Kumaresh duo, and had mixed feelings about their concert. I absolutely enjoyed the elaborate RTP they played in Nattai, with brother after brother taking turns to paint a moving portrait of the raga. However, in other parts of the concert, the brothers appeared to be competing with each other for speed, and music emerged the loser in that competition. I did like the innovation where one brother would sing the sahithyam to a piece line by line, and another would follow it on the violin.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/70z9ox

a soothing bhairavi
from Air Isa Vizha relays of the 90s.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

bilahari wrote:I have attended one concert of the Ganesh-Kumaresh duo, and had mixed feelings about their concert. I absolutely enjoyed the elaborate RTP they played in Nattai, with brother after brother taking turns to paint a moving portrait of the raga. However, in other parts of the concert, the brothers appeared to be competing with each other for speed, and music emerged the loser in that competition. I did like the innovation where one brother would sing the sahithyam to a piece line by line, and another would follow it on the violin.
Recently I had a chance to attend G & K's concert after several years. It was a nice concert - except for one mish-mash of Tyagaraja kritis ( A number of pallavi's of Tyagaraja's kritis played as a string) - What is this called? A pallavi-mAlika :rolleyes: ?

This was the first time I heard such a rendition - I have read reports of similar experiments by Smt Aruna Sayeeram too.

-Ramakriya

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

This duo's postive points are.. knowing the CM very well. Explain the meaning of kriti and the beauty of kritis is not, normally, presented by anyone, But they make it a point to explain is really a welcome note. Expert in vocal too. Their recent Jaya TV show was an example. Not seen any other "Violin Brothers" who are so famous like them
They have to stop "Kunnakkudi" style of playing violin, sometimes.
Last edited by grsastrigal on 25 May 2007, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

That is a very soothing bhairavi indeed, Kji. Thanks.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

grsastrigal wrote:This duo's postive points are.. knowing the CM very well........
They have to stop "Kunnakkudi" style of playing violin, sometimes.
I fully agree with this well-drafted comment. Many a time I have felt that the talented duo tend to dilute their rendition by resorting to different games, neck-breaking speed on the instrument, and similar experiments.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

An inspiring article on T S rAjagopalan(dad of ganesh-kumaresh). Moving from kerela , kanpur,delhi,bombay ,madras and finally settling in thanjAvur all along not losing the passion is just great.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/07/13/stor ... 110500.htm

mohan

Post by mohan »

the correct link about TS Rajagopalan should be http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/07/13/stor ... 590300.htm

Priya Ravi

Re: Ganesh Kumaresh

Post by Priya Ravi »

Ganesh and Kumaresh bag the Best Album award for their Album Aksharam at Global Indian Music Awards 2010

Priya Ravi

Post by Priya Ravi »

Ganesh Kumaresh on their concept called Raagapravaham

http://www.chennailivenews.com/music-se ... yaru04.asp

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Post deleted

priyaravi1998

Post by priyaravi1998 »

Ganesh and Kumaresh are performing with Ustad Shujaat Khan on Sitar, Vikku Vinayakaram on Ghatam, Patri Satish Kumar on Mridangam, George Brooks on Saxophone, Amit Choubey on Tabla and Ojas Adhiya on Percussions on 25th January (Wednesday) at Nehru Centre Auditorium, Worli at 7.15 pm

priyaravi1998

Post by priyaravi1998 »

Visit ganeshkumaresh.org for concert updates

priyaravi1998

Post by priyaravi1998 »

PRCM

Post by PRCM »

On 1st March 2012, Ustad Zakir Hussain will release the album called "RAGAPRAVAHAM" by Shri Ganesh and Shri Kumaresh at Times Tower, 8th Floor, Bahem Estate & IT Parks Ltd., Kamala City, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai at around 11.30 am.

PRCM

Post by PRCM »

Ustad Zakir Hussain on Ganesh Kumaresh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPL1ZICZ ... ure=relmfu

PRCM

Post by PRCM »

Ganesh Kumaresh touring Europe this april

PRCM

Post by PRCM »

Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Chennai is honouring Shri Ganesh and Shri Kumaresh with the “Shri Obul Reddy and Smt Gnanambal Award” for the year 2012.

The function in at 6.00 pm today (21st Nov 2012) at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, East Mada Street, Mylapore

PRCM

Post by PRCM »

Recent Interview by Ganesh Kumaresh

http://www.sabhash.com/music/face-to-fa ... -music.htm

PRCM

Post by PRCM »

Shri Ganesh and Shri Kumaresh have composed the Music for the film "Lessons in Forgetting" which bagged National Award...

Now the same film has bagged the award for "Best Background Score" at The Indian Independent Film Festival (TIIFF), Bangalore...

Congratulations to Shri Ganesh and Shri Kumaresh....

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Music gets silver lining...

MUSIC Ganesh and Kumaresh, the acclaimed violin duo, earn many laurels for their music for the film, Lessons in Forgetting...

"As you enter Kumaresh’s house you hear the strains of Tyagaraja’s “Nannu Ganna Talli Naa Bhagyama”. “It’s the rare Sindhu Kanada raga,” alternating between vocal and violin, Kumaresh explains to his student how each phrase gets enriched from its previous one. Kumaresh with his brother Ganesh, the renowned violin duo who were hailed as child prodigies, have been associated with classical music for four decades. They are now hopping platforms across the globe to take Indian music to all corners. Their musicality is non-judgmental and open, and accepts techniques and approaches, even those that are not intrinsic to Carnatic classical. It is their ever-ready-to-discover-more attitude that has helped their musical persona step beyond the classical mould to bag the Independent Film Festival’s Award for Best Original Music Score for the Indian-English film Lessons in Forgetting directed by Unni Vijayan; the story based on Anita Nair’s book. The film has won the National Award and several accolades at various international film festivals. “Unni kept telling us that at most of the film fest screenings the music score had come in for a lot of attention and praise, but bagging an award on the Indian soil is gratifying,” says Ganesh."

read more at...

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... ZvqE.gmail

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Click on the pic to access the magazine... Indepth article.

PRCM

Post by PRCM »

On 10th Feb 2019, Vid Ganesh and Vid Kumaresh were conferred with the title “Sangeetha Vedanta Dhurina” by Rama Lalitha Kala Madira , Bengaluru

Congratulations to the artistes !!!!

Sachi_R

Magical Cascades by the Fiddling Monk

Post by Sachi_R »

Magical Cascades by the Fiddling Monk

There was a never-before downpour yesterday in the garden city. What! Rains again? No. This time it was not a mere torrent of water from the skies in a hurry to exhaust themselves. It was a purely musical downpour!
In a packed JSS auditorium where it appeared to me that everyone was quite knowledgeable about the Carnatic idiom, Vid. Kumaresh, who calls himself the Fiddling Monk, ruled our ears, hearts and minds with a cascade of pure Carnatic music of exquisite beauty, grace, depth, spread, strength, power, momentum and impact for nearly 150 minutes, in the company of his own disciple, Vaibhav Ramani, the mridangam maestro K U Jayachandra Rao, Ghatam Giridhar Udupa and Khanjari Guru Prasanna. The two violins and the three percussion instruments wove patterns of sound like in a heavenly weave with unbroken beauty, unceasing charm and unrelenting enticement. There was hardly any break between songs. The audience found the experience so energising and elevating that nobody noticed how time flew. Indeed Time was carried on the wings of music.

“Ganesh Kumaresh” is a phenomenon celebrated worldwide. Having been rigorously taught by their father and mentor Sri. Rajagopalan, the brothers mastered the violin at a very young age, and came on the stage when they were just 7 and 5 years of age. By now, i.e. 2022, they have performed for five long decades. They have explored unknown frontiers in virtuosity, dynamism and creativity while staying very much within the boundaries of Carnatic classicism. There is perhaps nothing more left for a violinist duo to achieve musically, or accomplish in Carnatic creativity.

Ganesh and Kumaresh make us think beyond sahitya. They show how music has a purity and power to move us that goes beyond words and lyrical associations. Human imagination is not constrained in their music to traverse Kapi only by dwelling on Jagadoddharana.

It is but true that our musical system has been created entirely on a body of compositions adhering to the tenets of words, swaras and beats, also grouped as Bhava Raga Tala. Every Carnatic kriti or song is about a deity and is a prayer. It is full of imagery, legend and emotional expression of joy, pathos, hope and love. So in this paradigm, pure music or Dhatu cannot do without Matu or words. Eschewing words that convey specific mental connections has been hitherto a mission impossible.

The Ganesh Kumaresh duo mastered the Carnatic song repertoire and performed for decades in that mode. But in recent years, they have created a new genre in Carnatic music that they have named Raga Pravaham. Raga Pravaham is a musical compositional structure with pure melody. The composition allows one to even hum and sing the song, but without sahitya but as pure music. Thus, breaking free from Kalpita Sahitya (composers’ songs) that musicians present in a sequence on the stage, Ganesh and Kumaresh present Carnatic Music without sahitya but with song structure.

So what was new in yesterday’s concert? It was Raga Pravaham no doubt, but now structured in a systematic tala and rhythmic structure with a multi-splendoured brilliance. It was all encased in varieties of Dhruva Tala.

Dhurva Tala is one of the Sapta Suladi Talas laid down in Carnatic music. A Dhruva Tala cycle has a sequence pattern of N+2+N+N beats. So it can be Trishra Dhruva which is 3+2+3+3 =11 beats, or Chaturashra Dhruva of 4+2+4+4= 14 beats. Similarly, Khanda Dhruva has 17 beats, Mishra Dhruva 23, and Sankirna Dhruva has 29 beats. Each individual part is musically accented and thus a rhythmic pattern is etched as a background lattice structure in our minds. The musical composition fills up that space with varieties of melodic and rhythmic decorations.

Kumaresh has created compositions in all the five jatis of Dhurva Tala. Set in different ragas, each song as presented had a wonderful personality that we could see right away. The song ebbed and flowed like a wonderful river of music, all the time adhering to the rhythmic structure. It was obvious that Kumaresh had trained all the other musicians in these compositions for at least a few months. The way they all spontaneously and efficiently collaborated on the stage was a testimony to several hours of rehearsals.

Given that all the percussionists have been performing for a long time at the highest level of our music, it would have been easy for them to internalise these compositions. Vaibhav Ramani, having studied under Kumaresh for many years, brought great credit to himself as he matched Kumaresh bow for bow.
What was a revelation to me was how Kumaresh, a thought leader, is also a master composer, a great teacher, a superb organizer, a magnificent presenter, and an unrivalled champion of pure Carnatic music decorated in the best of creativity and virtuosity.

I shall not even try to convey the musical beauty of the ragas Nata, Kambhoji, Purvi Kalyani, Sankarabharanam and Bhairavi that flowed from Kumaresh. Each presentation was a deity in a temple.

I shall not also try to show the excellence displayed by the percussionists who were equal partners in this presentation, with no “Tani” or “Pakkavadyam” tags. In fact, many musical ideas began with percussion and then were filled out with melody.

Kumaresh was outstanding in bringing out the best in each musician, the soundscape of each instrument, and the musical possibilities of each composition. The majesty of the mridangam, the gravitas of the khanjira, the bell-like sharpness of the ghatam, the resonance of the two violins, the many octaves of swaras spanned on Kumaresh’s five-stringed violin, all gave an unforgettable feast.

I shall conclude by drawing on a famous shloka, Shiva Tandavam. If Raga Pravaham is like the Ganga, this Dhruva presentation made the holy Ganga descend from the matted locks of Lord Shiva in Ananda Tandavam. The cascade had a wonderful structure and rhythm that only the dance of Nataraja could create.

जटाकटाहसम्भ्रमभ्रमन्निलिमम्पनिर्झरी
विलोलवीचिवल्लरी विराजमानमूर्धनि

Translation: Held in Shiva’s magnificent, swinging locks, the Ganga flowed in celebration, in a measured cascade that was at once in joyous abandon as well as in streams of felicitous fluidity. Indeed, it was Ganga who was blessed to adorn Shiva’s crest!

Dhruva- five compositions in five Dhruvatala jatis by five musicians led by Kumaresh on his five-stringed violin evoking the glorious image of Narataja Shiva, also worshipped as Pancha Vaktra (five faces- Sadyojata, Vamadeva, Agora, Tatpurusha and Ishana). What a presentation by the maestro Kumaresh celebrating his fifth decade of musical excellence on stage!

Good news. You can catch the entire concert here:https://youtu.be/zRCbxsG6ekQ