Sujatha Vijayaraghavan

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Sujatha Vijayaraghavan

Post by rajeshnat »

Sujatha Vijayaraghavan is related to Arasi . I get confused if she is also related to Ambujam Krishna and also V V Sadagopan . Sujatha's daughter is vidushi and dancer Sumitra Nitin. If my memory is right she is the daughter of Ananthalakshmi sadagopan and Sadagopan(not V V Sadagopan) ) and not related to Ambujam krishna .Her family is related to industrial conglomerate TVS who are so deep in supporting fine arts.

I have heard Sujatha speak , she is so damn thorough and detailed . There are always some writeups that she writes in the hindu not just music , but also drama,literature and dance . To my fading memory I recollect one of her talks that I attended she is awesome.

I do remember based on the post of MKR Sir or VKV Sir that she played a big part in Lalgudi Jayaraman's Opera "jaya jaya devi" that was such a mega hit in US in 90's and it also had its copyright issues. I donot know if Sujatha is a vageyyakkara or if she is a vidushi all i know is that she has extreme balance when she writes and speaks about literature ,dance , drama and music - everything has nearly the same depth and details. She is part of commitee of the esteemed music academy.

Here is a writeup on her reading few tamil novels ,that came in Oct 13th,2017
http://www.thehindu.com/books/books-aut ... 845526.ece

May i know where is that place wandering artist that is mentioned here, did any forumite ever go there?
Last edited by rajeshnat on 13 Oct 2017, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi_R

Re: Sujatha Vijayaraghavan

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajesh,
Answering you some of your doubts based on my personal long association with the family,
Smt. Sujatha is the daughter of Smt. Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan, a well-known musician of yesteryear. Her daughter is Sumitra Nitin, who sang very well on 100.1FM this morning BTW.
Mr. Sadagopan, her father, was the cousin (ed.) of Sri. V. V. Sadagopan, actor and musician.
They aren't related to TVS or Ambujam Krishna AFAIK.
Last edited by Sachi_R on 13 Oct 2017, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sachi_R wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 12:17 Answering you some of your doubts based on my personal long association with the family,
Smt. Sujatha is the daughter of Smt. Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan, a well-known musician of yesteryear. Her daughter is Sumitra Nitin, who sang very Mr. Sadagopan, her father, was the nephew of Sri. V. V. Sadagopan, actor and musician.
They aren't related to TVS or Ambujam Krishna AFAIK.
Thank you Sachi . I corrected my first post , my memory slipped between V V Sadagopan and parents of Sujatha (Sadagopan and Ananthalakshmi sadagopan) despite knowing that there are two sadagopans.
If you have something more to share about Smt Sujatha Vijayaraghavan please do so.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

From our family's three-generations contact with the family I can assert that the whole family represents the quintessence of class, grace,culture,erudition and to cap it all genuine humility.

The article mentions Sujata's daughter Sunitra Nithin.Mention should be made equally of her younger sister Sunandha Narayanan(now settled in Boston). Sunandha;s son recently made his debut in CM in the Boston area--I think it is on You Tube. Both Sujata's daughters are excellent dancers as well as vocalists.
My late mother was very fond o Ananthalakshmi Mami and there have been many a visits to our house in Chennai. My mother used to say injest that I Ananthalakshmi Mami had taken to full time singing she would have been equally successful as MSS or DKP or MLV!!

A couple of years ago when Mami and Sadagopan Mama visited USA we we.re honored by their calling on us(I would have been ostracized by my mother if I had not invited them to my house. We had a 4 hour musical fest. I "showed" off my SGKittappa imitation and found out that Sadagopan Mama was also a fan of SGK!!

Re: the Lalgudi Jaya Jaya Devi Ballet--Sujatha was the compiler, historian.LGJ used to admire her painstaking scholarship(LGF could be very demanding on these issues).In fact the inaugural concert in Cleveland,Sumitra(elder daughter of Sujatha was one of the leading female singers.

In fact there is nothing that the family cannot do and yet would manage to keep a low profile.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sujatha is a woman of many talents, and as MKR says, keeps a low profile. To me, it's a regret that her creative writing in fiction and poetry finds very little time for her to nurture when channeled into many other artistic endeavors. Her novel set in the Chennai music scene, arangam--written years ago is still absorbing to read.
She sang AK's songs with her mother on a cassette--it was the very first audio of AK's songs. She is an authority on AK's compositions, and on many other aspects of music, dance and literature. As a cousin who lives far away, I don't know enough about her accomplishments at home. At Cleveland, her active participation in music and dance matters was noteworthy--presentation, judging being part of it all. Personally, without her encouragement and of her dear mother's, the Arasi songs wouldn't have come out at all. Nor my novel engirundAlum.Happy and proud to be cousin to such a woman! May her work flourish...:)
Her daughters Sumitra Nitin in Bengaluru and Sunanda Narayanan in Boston follow her footsteps, singing, dancing and teaching it...The next generation is starting to blossom as well:)