Neyveli Santhanagopalan

Carnatic Musicians

Post by Guest »

I have heard recently a concert of neyveli., alapanas/swaraprsthras immensely beautiful.

he has his own style of rendition. while performing alapanas, he is going deeply , & bring out pearls from under- sea

invite more views on this artist

some clipplngs also.

ksiyer

Post by Guest »

Neyveli is a vidvaan in the true sense of the word (vidvat sampannaH). His knowledge of vedanta, puraaNa, languages and sangeetashaastra are all reflected in his rendering of music. He takes pain to enlighten the audience on the inner import of the sahitya as well as the nuances of the raaga and taaLa. In my opinion he is an icon to be emulated by the present day performers. May he live long and mature rendering yeomen service to cause of CM!

Post by Guest »

i love neyvelis music simply for the pace at which the kritis are sung.
a truly wonderful disciple of a wonderful guru.
his teaching sessions on television used to be very different and enlightening.
two of my favourite tracks of neyveli are here ...
it is neyveli at his best.one of which is a radio recording..
Your Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/1934363/neyv ... _.mp3.html

Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/1934085/neyv ... a.mp3.html

shreeharinair

Post by shreeharinair »

who is neyveli's Guru ?

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

He learnt from TNS for a long time and is now under the guidance of Thanjavur Sankara Iyer.

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

Santhanagopalan's music is mesmerising.

Thankfully, he has taken only the good aspects from TNS.

He sings first for himself and soaks himself in bhakti and bhava. Natuarally it reaches out to the audience.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

He had given quite a few 4 hr concerts a few years back. But he doesn't seem to be giving concerts frequently in the last 1 year. May be having problems with his voice. His morning program in Jaya TV is superb. Now he is teaching Entharomahanubavalu. Just the the way it should be taught. Great stuff

krishna212001

Post by krishna212001 »

Once i heard Nevelli's Ragasudharasa in Arabhi Thyagaraja Kriti in Jaya TV.

Guys i need his Arabhi i want to learn that composition rendered by him.
It is so simple and effortless singing by him.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Simple and effortless as it can sound when he sings it, not as easy for others, one would think!

krishna212001

Post by krishna212001 »

Hi Arasi

Thanks for your reply and comment.

Simple and effortless would be easy for any provided they practise.

So i need not think abt the concept and simple and effortless singing by him wihch you feel
would not be possible by any.

I am ready for any challenge.

Could anybody please help me in getting that composition rendered by him.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

I heard neyveli sing kapi for almst 2 hrs in a concert once(around 6 yrs back ), accompanied by nagaraj and UKS. fabulous stuff.. the audience had turned into wall lizards that day.. But sadly he is nowhere near that form nowadays.. He also seems o be having the same isues with sruti as his guru

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Krishna212001: I guess you meant nAdhasudhA rasam bilanu in Arabhi. Raga sudhA rasa is in AndOlika.
Your best to find JayatV broadcasts is through their website, where they sometimes archive the shows. This might require membership.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I am glad you can do it.
If practice alone matters, there would be hundreds of NSGs and musicians of his caliber who would be giving performances everywhere...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

arasi wrote:I am glad you can do it.
If practice alone matters, there would be hundreds of NSGs and musicians of his caliber who would be giving performances everywhere...
I would tend to agree to an extent with Krishna... being competent in music is like tapas... the more you do it, the better you are at it... as it is with all arts.

Practice matters more than giving performances. The late MS & Semmangudi were known to practice each kriti for atleast a hundred times at Kalki Gardens (I am talking of the 50s & 60s) before they presented them in concerts... truly none could point a finger at these souls and say they were simply gifted.

Calling someone merely gifted robs them the credit for all their hardwork. Regardless of whether one is gifted or not, and whether one adheres to classicism or plays to the gallery, the ones that are at the top are the persons (although they are not the only ones) who have done their homework. "Gifted with music" is a minority category out of which some are too lazy or disinclined to develop their potential - I know this first-hand.

arasi

Post by arasi »

You have made me agree with you 'to an extent' now :)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hehe ;)

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

"Inspiration is 99% perspiration" - who said it - Vivekananda?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thomas Alva Edison.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Neyveli sings for himself first enjoying the lyrics,music etc., that's why his music has become so divine.His teachings daily morning in Jaya TV is really superb.
He packs them with so much of relevant information abt the raga/composer/sahitya and so on so forth. I clearly remember how handled Bharavi in one of these shows and the way he mentioned Shyama Sastri's Swarajathi as the Crown for Bharavi was all fascinating. He did mention abt Arunachala Kavi Rayar's "yAro Ivan Yaro" as well as many lovely songs of Thyagaraja & MD in Bhairavi.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 09 Nov 2007, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Last edited by rajeshnat on 30 Nov 2007, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

It is quite an heart-warming article and The Hindu has more than adequately performed a "PRAYASCHITHAM" for it's earlier deed of publishing an un called for review(by SVK) through the Friday review column.At least /at last, the feelings of NSG Rasikas prevailed for good..
Ramaraj

veda desikan

Post by veda desikan »

i feel neiveli should try lowering his shruthi a little bit , to enable him to traverse in higher octaves. i am also a great fan of his , but put down on some occasions due to his voice.

Balachandran

Post by Balachandran »

Hellow music lovers,

Neiveli Santhanagopalan is the sishya of the great Madurai T.N.Sehagopalan.

Balachandran NIT Calicut

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Thanks for the info Balachandran

krishna212001

Post by krishna212001 »

Neyveli Santhanagopalan Sir's Concert at Jamshedpur which is available in Sangeethapriya Site is
really awesome.

Especially his Virutham in Sindhubhairavi.
A very great Vidwan.

Regards
Krishna

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To:Guest

Can you plese reupload those 2 tracks (Makelara and Nannubrovanikimtha)?. God bless you.

Rgards

Guru

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Neyveli Santanagopalan has come a long way. He started out in the small town of Neyveli, now his reach is global .Nice article , I wish there were few lines about his other guru Thanjavur shankara Iyer too.
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/10/23/stor ... 050300.htm

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Rajesh - thanks for sharing the link.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Neyveli R.Santanagopalan

It is with great pleasure and happiness that i write about a giant who walks, talks, breaths, thinks, expresses, presents music in all its splendour. The glory of carnatic music is complete in the safe hands of Neyveli Santanagopalan who has utmost conviction for the purest form of music that has been handed over to us through generations. He has been constantly striving to provide the olden-golden glory to the innumerable rasikas who though always look for innovations in the music but yet are still to sacrifice the traditionally handed down values. Amidst this duality Neyveli Santanagopalan is still able to uphold traditional values and keeps on reiterating this aspect to them through his innumerable bhava-laden concerts.

His concerts are a real treat for both artistes on stage as well as for audience. A skilled stage manager that he is, he instantly strikes a rapport with the accompanists as also with the audience. The moment he starts singing i have always observed a movement of silence
across even a noisy marriage hall. Many have commented that he has lost his original voice and they even used to comment that one should have listened to Neyveli during his Peak of late 80s and whole of 90s. But i feel otherwise. When his inner voice has started producing ethereal music the physiological voice is just used for production of proper sounds and everything else falls in its place. Music of soul requires only a realised person like Santanagopalan to express itself and many are able to see the soul and some are not able to see it that is the difference. The invisible object gnana comes alive and bears a form through his renditions. His ragas are a real treat to hear as they take different colours at different times. I vividly remember one concert of his on 25th December 2006 at Rama Bhakta Samajam, K K Nagar on a Christmas day when he was disturbed by Christmas Crackers just before starting off his Main Raga. He took up Shankarabharana and he sang raga in such a way that one could feel the bursting of rockets and then showing itself in the night sky with different colours. It was one life time feeling that i am sure to carry for many years.

His ragas are flow of utmost creativity seeking the inner soul of the raga devata herself and he endeavours to present its essence in a highly evolved and sophisticated form. There is no expliciteness in his renditions whereas it is filled with Sukshma. The listener needs to be absolutely aware of the consciousness of Santanagopalan at work so that they can be one with him, rather if the listener realieses the musical awareness of Santanagopalan then he will take them through an untrammelled path of musical journey. Every concert is a journey for him through hills, valleys, dales, rivers, mountains, clouds, rains, shines etc. He provides the listener with these different feelings by relating his music with his innermost self and transfers his experience in a subtle but authentic and emphatic way. The awareness in itself creates a sense of communication with the listener's souls and it is disseminated on a one to one basis amidst the multitude. The audience are able to enjoy his music on two different planes. One is with their own knowledge about the music and their realisation which will make them enjoy his music. The second category is that they have immense knowledge of music but are willing to sacrifice their knowledge for the sake of seeking the soul of the music of Neyveli sir. The second type of audience gets better of Neyveli as his music relates and communicates directly with them.

His renditions of kritis are packed with bhava and bhakti. His swaras are both relaxed and at times very fast. A must listen are "Ini namakkoru Kavalayum Illai" (Bilahari-Rupakam) a break neck speed of kalapramana and swaras. Other Pre-main kritis that take both weight
and imagination include "Tulasi Dalamulache", "Deva Deva Kalayamithe", "Telisi Rama Chintanato", "Teliya Leru Rama", "Maakelara Vicharamu", "Manavyalakinchara", "Nijamarmamulanu", "Salagallaladukonna", "Mariveregathi (Ananda Bhairavi), "Siva Siva Siva
ena radha", "Rama Nannu Brovara", "Ramanatham Bhajeham (with special emphasis on "Lakshmidevi valasuna as niraval passage)", "Aazhi mazhai kanna" and his inimitable "Hecharikaga". A speical mention needs to be made about his Hecharikaga where he enjoys the mridangam accompaniment and looks for varieties from the mridangist for the 1/2 idam eduppu. "Ninnujooda vachu bagi" is the place any mridangist would like to frolic while he renders "Hecharikaga". He renders this kriti in both Khanda Eka tala in slightly faster pace and also in Khanda Chaapu tala. One has to be aware of musical genius as well as his laya prowess to enjoy his concerts in total. His post thani includes "Sarasasamadana", "Muruganin marupeyar", any sindhubhairavi piece (the best according to me being the kriti on Muthumaari-forgot the opening lines.), "Ramanamame", "Srichakraraja" and other innumerable kritis. The list above is not exhaustive but are just an indication of what i have observed and there are many such kritis he renders with ease and felicity. His main items include kritis from Shankarabharanam, Dwijavanti (Akhilandeshwari), Poorvikalyani (Meenakshi Memudam dehi), Kalyani, Bhairavi, Thodi, Kambhoji (Subramanyaya namasthe-needs worthy of mention).

He always looks for something creative and something out of the ordinary. He has the knack of making the ordinary look extraordinary by giving it a different colour and treating them differently with his deep vision and commitment. He always experiments with known concepts to produce unheard melodies, as i have observed this to be his speciality. Hence in order to understand his music one needs to be
aware of the heard melodies, if so then he will guide the listeners to unheard melodies easily.

What more shall i add ? I am left without any further words to describe his genius and his immense creativity. My vocabulary fails when i see his soulful music, my dictionary is out of words when i try to express his creativity, my knowledge seems to be limited in front of his
unlimited capacity of varied expressions, my musical acumen fades beyond recognition in front of his unimaginable all-round prowess, my preparedness fails me in front of his on the spot improvisations. His sruthi, bhava, raga, tala, musical genius, stage craft everything
mesmerises the artistes and listeners alike who all go alongwith him in the ethereal firmament of music to feel one with God.

Tail Piece : His Gurukrupa Music School is completing 25 years this November and a function has been organised during the Third Week.

Mannarkoil J.Balaji
Last edited by mridhangam on 26 Oct 2009, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Very nice write up, Add these too.

1. keeravani especially thevaram vAnaNe
2. reetigowlai
3. AbhOgi , he is splendid here nannu brova and patnam's varnam

In tukkadas I would like to add his one memorable finish of viruththam with a krithi ,that is a thevaram "kanivAi kasindhu" + govardhana giridhAri in darbAri kAnadA.As you mentioned his yk kAMbodhi hechariga is my favourite.

Having said the above , just one point of yours , where you have mentioned about neyveli "Many have commented that he has lost his original voice and they even used to comment that one should have listened to Neyveli during his Peak of late 80s and whole of 90s. But i feel otherwise. When his inner voice has started producing ethereal music the physiological voice is just used for production of proper sounds and everything else falls in its place.".

To an extent I am in that many, I will write more about that little later. Nevertheless bAlAji a brilliant writeup to a great artist. Best wishes on his silver jubilee.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

I didnt see that coming.
Great to see mutual respect between artists.
Spread the love :)

I just want to add one thing. I have a really old recording of nsg, here he sings a kharaharapriya - rama neeyada in the mould of the great TNS. His briga sareeram and kannaku is amazing. This rendering completely blew me away the first time i heard it as i was used to nsg singing the way he does now.
Last edited by Rasika911 on 26 Oct 2009, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

T.T.SRINIVASAN

Post by T.T.SRINIVASAN »

Kudos to Sri Balaji on an excellent write up and facts about Sri Neyeli. Can I add that

"He is a musician steeped in tradition and yet highly creative and innovative. His music is deeply evolved around "bhakthi’ and "bhava"
Last edited by T.T.SRINIVASAN on 26 Oct 2009, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

"Ramanatham Bhajeham (with special emphasis on "Lakshmidevi valasuna as niraval passage)", -Thanks Balaji for the write up on evolution of NSG.BTW the neraval comes in "Appa Rama Bhakthi".
Continue to review in your style.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sri Balaji - an excellent write-up.

Best Wishes to Sri NSG on the Silver Jubilee celebrations of his school (the name of which epitomises the man)...

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Members
sorry about the mix up balusatya ...

J.Balaji

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

As rasikas, we have been hearing Shri NSG for the past many years and we have formed our own opinins about him as a musician& teacher. With inputs from people close to him we get to know what a great person he is and what music really means to him etc. Thanks for sharing with us.Our best wishes for the 'gurukrupA' school on the silver jubilee. Yes he is always a 'vidyArthi' craving for 'gurukrupA'.
Our pranams to you Shri.N.S.G.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Balaji,
A beautiful write-up about a one of a kind musician. With your knowledge and strength in layam, your appreciation of his expertise in that area makes even unlettered ones like me in tALam focus on that.
I have similar thoughts about his music. The expression 'soulful singing' fits him perfectly. While he sings in a concert, all I experience in the expression of his innermost life with music. Yes, those who speak of his earlier concerts being better do not seem to look for anything but his original voice--a slick presentation in a voice which appeals to them. They do not realize that this meditative music can also be fireworks at times, as you say. I have not found the subtle essence of music which I experience in his singing when I listen to many others.
Each artiste is different. The attitude of the audience (individually) varies too. Let's imagine ourselves going into a shop to buy something; then a temple where we have a totally different state of mind as we enter it (at least, I hope so!). Akin to that, if I enter a concert hall with an attitude of a consumer who looks for certain qualities in the goods I'm going to purchase, well, a package deal concert is a better bet than an NSG's concert! Neatly put together and wrapped up, they appeal to many, and are dime a dozen. As you point out, NSG's concerts are not just for a particular kind of audience either. Those who go for a devotional experience in a concert without all the trappings enjoy his music too.
If music touches you, and you want to hear someone who lives with his music in the way NSG does, sings it the way he does from his soul, it's a different story.
We sometimes hear of the artistic temperament displaying itself not so nicely on stage. NSG is the antithesis to this. His rapport with his accompanists and his unassuming ways are a lesson unto many a performer. If at all I have a complaint about him it is that he at times thinks more about the skills and comfort and recognition of his accompanists than about his own music :) Hope he excuses me for saying this:)

Such a young vidvAn in age and he's celebrating twentyfive years of teaching?!!
May he flourish and so too his school and guru 'vidyaarthi''s many vidyaarthis--which includes Sriranjani :)
Last edited by arasi on 27 Oct 2009, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Arasi Well put!! the idea of distinction between Shopping and Temple.

GNB used to admonish listeners--his fans or otherwise not to walk into a concert with preconceived notions of what to expect from the artiste. He used to say when I sing Sarasa Sama Dhana do not let your mind wander over how Madurai Mani Iyer or Semmangudi would sing and brood over the comparisons. Likewise.if an artiste does not have the same timbre in his voice like before, focus on what he is offering NOW---the idea,the execution and effect.
NSG certainly evokes Bhakthi and peacefulness thro music--voice or no voice!!

Once to a gushing comment from me to GNB after a scintillating concert in Tiruchi during the marriage concert(Alathur brothers' Subbudu'daughter's marriage)-Mama Innikki pramadhama Irundadu ungal kutcheri-- to which he replied'Nan ennikkum padara Madiri than ippovum padinen-- unnudaya gnanam vena improve ahirukko ennavo(I have always sung this way-perhaps your sense of appreciation and Gnanam may have improved!!).

sucharithra

Post by sucharithra »

On top of being an amazing guru and singer, Neyveli sir is an amazing person as well. As a contestant in many competitions in which he was a judge, Neyveli sir was always very encouraging and would always volunteer valuable feedback after the competitions. Many of the things he conveyed to me have truly helped me in my attempt to mature my musicianship.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:
GNB used to admonish listeners--his fans or otherwise not to walk into a concert with preconceived notions of what to expect from the artiste. He used to say when I sing Sarasa Sama Dhana do not let your mind wander over how Madurai Mani Iyer or Semmangudi would sing and brood over the comparisons. Likewise.if an artiste does not have the same timbre in his voice like before, focus on what he is offering NOW--
I have to respectfully disagree with GNB. While I understand listening to the present, it seems to me, the music appreciation is "distilling" the new prayogas, or gamakas of each musician has to offer and immediately the mind races to others who have sung that raga.

For e.g. the pathos GNB develops in Kapinarayani is sort of similar to TNR's rendition of this Sarasamadana.

If all musicians are singing constantly with the same tune and without any change; for e.g. take a film song - KJ Yesudoss singing Adisaya Ragam. and every one (all play back singers) sing this the same way. The only difference is the voice quality.

Whereas, there are subtle differences between Sarasasamadana rendered by various musicians.

One aspect, Tanjore S. Kalyanaraman used to mention was that - when a new raga or krithi is sung, everyone opens the "ready reckoner" book and wants to find out the raga or the composer. Instead, SKR felt rasikas could enjoy the tune or the song. By the time, you analyze and find out the song might be over.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Frantic turning of the pages to check the rAga and zeroing in on slip ups, keeping loud tALam--rather than get involved in the music one hears--all thhese come in the way of good listening. Kalyanaraman spoke about the rasikA getting distanced from the music by such activities, I would guess.
Last edited by arasi on 27 Oct 2009, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

venkatakailasam

Neyveli Santhanagopalan

Post by venkatakailasam »

e-Guru, Guru, and You-Guru

Neyveli Santhanagopalan An article from the Hindu of 27-12-10

http://www.hindu.com/2010/12/27/stories ... 570500.htm

venkatakailasam

rajeshnat

Re: Neyveli Santhanagopalan

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods,
Merge with the already open thread
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... i&start=25

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

merged

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

This year in Aug 2015 , Neyveli Santhanagopalan has been awarded by sree krishna gana sabha - Sangeetha Choodamani award. Best wishes to vidwan NSG on the prestigious award.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Congratulations to our Vidyarthi! May many more awards come his way!