Gowri Kuppuswamy

Carnatic Musicians
paddu

Post by paddu »

Hello everyone,
Smt. Gowri Kuppuswamy is a noted musicologist. People say she is a very good teacher.
Could someone kindly share some audio of this artist.

Thanks
Paddu

mlkarthik

Post by mlkarthik »

Hi,

I am a disciple of Prof.Gowri Kuppuswamy.

It is very unfortunate to note that she herself does not have even a single recording of her concert. With a great difficulty, I have collected some songs rendered by her long back. In that recording, she is accompanied on the Violin by MSA. I shall try and upload it.

I request other rasikas to kindly upload her recordings.

Regards,
Karthik

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Members
Can you throw light on her lineage and about her tradition which will enhance appreciation.
J.Balaji

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Has she edited &published a book on MD kritis?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

She has several books to her credit:
Index of Songs in South Indian Music, Javalis, Thillanas, Tamaizh Padangal. Compositions of Haridasas, Glimpses of Indian Music. Some of these are co-authored by M.Hariharam.

Vasudha Ravi

Re: Gowri Kuppuswamy

Post by Vasudha Ravi »

Namaskaram,

Dr.Gowri Kuppuswamy is a disciple of Sri GNB and Smt.MLV, and also Tanjore Sri.S.Kalyanaraman. Recently i came across her video in youtube. posting the url:
a bit taken from a documentary i guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTR80NZxg8

video was broadcasted in UK channel: brit TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Saz5S9OgI

regards
vasudha

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Bumping this thread after hearing a lovely concert of her yesterday by FM Amrthavarshini. She sang some rare compositions of Dikshitar and Swathi Thirunal in the 1 hr concert.

shvEta gaNapatim vandE - cUDAmaNi
navaratna mAlinim natajana pAlinim namAmi - gamakakriya
pAlayamAm pArvatIsha - kannaDa
shrI vaidyanAtham bhajAmi - aThANa
rAma rAma guNa kusuma rAma - bhairavi
mile shyAm pyArE - mishra kApi

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sirs,
I have the following information about Prof. Gowri Kuppuswami from the Karnataka Sangeeta Vishaya Vishvakosha 2011 by Dr. V. S. Sampathkumaracharya.

===
Born 1931 in a Tamil Nadu Iyer family. Father was a highly placed official in the state government.

Learnt music from Sangeetabhooshanam K. S. Krishnamurthy Iyer, veena from Sangeetabhooshanam K. V. Venkataramaiyer, later under GNB disciples T. R. Balasubrahmanyam and MLV. Married an officer in CFTRI, Mysore Sri S. Kuppuswamy. Taught in the Music college and later became its principal. Has authored several textbooks and reference books. Learnt also for a bit under Dr R K Srikantan.
Concert performer since 1952,sang on AIR from 1950.Was performing even in 2000's. Has visited USA, Canada etc. on concert tours in 1981.Has given vocal support to the famous dancer Kamala in Bharatanatyam recitals and travelled to Russia, East Germany, Bulgaria etc.
===
She was a regular performer in Mysore during my years there. The two videos linked by Smt Vasudha Ravi evoke many fond memories of Mysore from 70s. The first one has been filmed in Arasu Hostel! Both have Mysore Nagaraj on the violin (his father was a Prof in the same college as Dr G K).

rajeshnat

Gowri Kuppuswamy

Post by rajeshnat »

Here is a detailed profile of Dr Gowri Kuppuswamy. She and her husband were well regarded in Mysore always.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 054510.ece

- Thanks to R Sachidananda for the above post

=============================
Rajesh adds bit more
-------------------------
# When Tanjore ,kumbakonam,mayavaram, chidambaram and tiruvarur gets more mention with more count of musicians around that jilla (as in anthakalathu district), we donot talk PUdukottai that much . We say there is one great school of Laya from PSP to TS to many others now , but musicians from pudukottai is just not mentioned in that breath.

What a lady is this vidushi Gowri kuppuswamy. What else you need when she says "GNB was my uncle’s classmate and I learnt several compositions informally from him. I was only five when I heard T.R. Mahalingam practice his soulful Yadukula Kambodhi and Kedara Gowla at midnight. I would listen to Madurai Mani in awe, his swara passages flowed like a gushing stream! ". That is GNB+MMI + Mali (2 vocal trinities as per my lexicon and in those days every one tastes a little bit of mAli). (There are many in those days who will standardize with 2 of the vocal trinity favourite GNB MMI SSI, this is atleast as per rajesh )

Sachi,
Can i get some writeups that she has written for few sabhas in bangalore and mysore. By any chance is there any recording of her singing in her prime days. How old is she now???

Arasi,
Have you met gowri kuppuswamy in bangalore?
Last edited by rajeshnat on 26 May 2018, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I love this below line , it is just also applicable for rasika and not just musician
gowri kuppuswamy from The Hindu wrote: While comparing contemporary musicians with yesteryear greats Gowri says, “Those were times when music cutcheris were a relaxed three to five hours. We had time to absorb and experience the genre’s classical profundity. And we learnt more, even as we heard more. Although the vidwat now is nothing less, it’s the ‘racing with time’ that restricts being sincere towards the art form.”.
I will use vidushi Gowri Kuppuswamy as a quote for each of my(our?) evolving rasikatvam !!!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajesh,
Please google "Gowri Kuppuswamy articles books". You will find a very big list.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajesh,
They broadcast on AIR 100.1FM some time back a splendid concert by her.

She would be in her 80's at least. I don't know more.

Of course as you know Mysore and Bangalore are very different places and Mysoreans generally hate Bangalore.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

There is one more thread on Gowri Kuppuswamy :-
viewtopic.php?t=3103

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
What a woman!
Gowri Kuppuswamy was known to JS, my sister and a few others in the family. I have heard her being mentioned by them--but don't remember if I have actually met her. She is older to me by a few years. I vaguely remember seeing her (in a concert?) when I was young. Did she wear glasses then? She is not wearing them in the photograph.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Sachi_R wrote: 26 May 2018, 19:28 Rajesh,
They broadcast on AIR 100.1FM some time back a splendid concert by her.

She would be in her 80's at least. I don't know more.

Of course as you know Mysore and Bangalore are very different places and Mysoreans generally hate Bangalore.
There had been a couple of her concerts in FM Amrutavarshni in the recent past. There was one last week( accompanied by Mysore Manjunath), where she sang rAma rama guNakusuma rAma in bhairavi and navaratna mAlinIm in gamakakriya, if I remember right.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

🙏🏻

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Here then, is a picture of the very accomplished Dr. Gowri Kuppuswamy from a few decades back:

L to R: Gowri Kuppuswamy (speaker), 'Road King' F.K Irani Founder of Jawa Yezdi, popular Karnataka Chief Minister D. Devaraj Urs (1972 to 1977 and 1978 to 1980) and Advocate K. Srikantiah, at a function held in the early 70's in 'Parvathi', Mysore.
Last edited by cpblog on 31 May 2018, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 26 May 2018, 19:54 There is one more thread on Gowri Kuppuswamy :-
viewtopic.php?t=3103
Can the two threads be merged please?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

rshankar wrote: 31 May 2018, 02:21 Can the two threads be merged please?
Thanks, done