M. Chandrasekharan

Carnatic Musicians
violinlover

Post by violinlover »

it has come across as a matter of great surprise and shock that this great vidwan has not been discussed by this forum. this mahavidwan has always not got the recognition long due to him( the proof for this is long and the latest is his being conferred the sangeetha kalanidhi by the music academy in 2005!!!). maybe that is the outcome of being so humble and down-to-earth. his inimitable style has always been tough to comprehend,tougher to learn and toughest to imitate. his play is a combination of vocal,veena and nadaswaram. and he plays nadaswara pidis which are the envy of many nadaswara vidwans of today.

his style of using gamakas are above par and this had come to the limelight only after a long time.( he himself says this," naan dideernu ellam mele vandudala.miduva than vanden!"). i am afraid the same fate of many unsung heroes may befall this great man too because of our own negligence and ignorance of nuances of carnatic violin.

in fact, if anybody is intersted, i can discuss his style in this forum itself!!!
of course it is not easy to talk about it, i can atleast convey the nuances of his art.

any takers??
Last edited by violinlover on 14 Jul 2007, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

violinlover wrote:it has come across as a matter of great surprise and shock that this great vidwan has not been discussed by this forum.
Not in the vidwans section perhaps, but http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=141

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Sorry, srkris, but I do not understand as to why you say this? Sri Chandrasekaran is a vidwan and if he cannot be discussed in the vidwan section, where else?

emyesbee

Post by emyesbee »

Swaminathan, perhaps Krish is telling MC has been discussed in that thread. :)

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

exactly sam swaminathan!!!
i am happy atleast u got the message.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Sam Swaminathan wrote:Sorry, srkris, but I do not understand as to why you say this? Sri Chandrasekaran is a vidwan and if he cannot be discussed in the vidwan section, where else?
Yep, I didnt mean that he cant be discussed here.

I meant he wasn't discussed here in the past, but in another thread.

arasi

Post by arasi »

That was what you meant, I thought.

manakkalsriram

Post by manakkalsriram »

Violin lover has rightly put it 'Chandru Sir's inimitable style has always been tough to comprehend,tougher to learn and toughest to imitate. his play is a combination of vocal,veena and nadaswaram. and he plays nadaswara pidis which are the envy of many nadaswara vidwans of today'.

Chandru Sir is a born genius. He has accompanied for my father from his younger days and the number is countless. I have the fortune of taking part in the Mridangam from the age of ten for several performances throughout India, in the combination between him and Appa. In Bombay when I was first introduced as a eleven year old boy in Music triangle by Sri Ramabadran , Chandru Sir was on the violin. Still I remember the Mysore concert with him at the age of ten where his daughter Bharati also came with him and we went all places in the car from Brindavan to Chamundeeswari temple. Still I remember now in the Chamundi temple Chandru sir just sat in a corner and started singing with full devotion. In Kerala also, as a young boy I have had the fortune of playing the Mridangam for the combination of Appa and Chandru Sir for seven or eight hours programmes continuously in the open. Rarely has any artist has performed in Kerala like my Appa. He has given performances in kerala in every hook and corner. In those days he was almost worshipped there. From 9 PM to 4.00 a.m. Appa will sing and then they will have the kathakali, which they will not change for anyone. But when Appa sings they will be willing to sacrifice seeing the Kathakali for sometime and they will ask Appa to continue singing. Sorry, I went off topic in the middle. Now, coming to the main topic about Chandru Sir’s unique and exceptional qualities.
As Violin lover has put it,
Once I had heard his Todi on the violin and just when I met him the next day I told him that it was beyond words and if Nadaswara Chakravarthy Rajarathnam Pillai had heard it, he would have patted you on the back. He was surprised and told me ,how you are telling as if you have seen it. It actually happened. When I was playing as a young boy,
Pillaivaal hearing the Thodi I was playing in a function came to me on the stage and appreciated that he had not heard like that before. Chandru Sir is a master in everything he handles. He is a master of laya also. He can answer back any intricate korvais be it Thisram,Misram or Sangeernam. He combines power with grace. He is an expert both in accompaniment and solo also . Any song he will go deep into it and play it with full Bhava. Sangathis will flow like Kuthalam Aruvi on his violin.
The way he appreciates the artists on the stage and the way he appreciates himself like a child, kodi kangal vendum paarka. On the stage he will be both cheerful as well as serious. When playing Swaras he will be full of spirit, cheerfulness and exuberance and invite the Mridangam Artist to join with him. Any complicate pallavi he will be most surefoot with his mastermind. He is adept both in accompaniment as well as solo performances. He is a great singer with a sweet voice. He is an expert teacher also. He will be so affectionate with his disciples that they are ready to sacrifice anything for him. He has accompanied almost all the veterans. He would be everwilling to accompany Appa while many would hesitate and think twice for accompanying Appa(as it is not easy going). He has accompanied Namagiripettai on the Nadaswaram frequently. The speciality is that he will accompany according to the mood of the singer. For example,When madurai Sri Somu sings a raga like kapi, while playing the raga kapi on the violin Chandru sir would bring the song ‘Enna Thavam Seidanai’ in the midst of the raga itself and will win a thunderous round of applause. You cannot express in words the goodness and human touch he has. Whenever Appa asks him for a concert and if he is not available on that date, he would feel so much and say that he is unlucky. Even recently, when Appa requested him to accompany, he told, ‘Neenga Periyava Koopadirel. Enda Idamayirundalum Naan Vaasipen. ‘ In those days in kerala after a marathon eight hours performance by Appa, Chandru sir would affectionately say, Sir, “ Konja neram Relax Pannungu. Idu Udattale varara Sangeetham Illai. Unga Sangeetham Naabi yilirundu varugira Sangeetham.’ (Your Music comes from the heart not from the lips). I admire Chandru sir always and he is a true wellwisher of me. He would say after the performance, ‘besha Vasicheppa. Ennakku Romba Pidichirundudu. Aana Oru Sila idathile Konjam Kalapramanam Odaruthu. Ada mattum Parthukku. In the next performance he would say Sriram, Sabaash. Naan Sonnathai knyabagam Vechirundu Vasiche. Kalapramanam Innikku Correcta Irundudu. Keep it up solluvar.
His memory power is something you cannot believe. Last month he is telling me ‘Sriram, Unnudaya Marriage day Aug 22 1985 thane. Annikku Thursday. I was amazed. I myself would take a few minutes to recollect my marriage day, but this gentleman is keeping my marriage day in his fingertips. Then he will say Appa sang in the Music academy in 1997 Friday dec 24th and that he was there for the Kutchery as one of the audience. He will remind me about the Nellore Kutchery (Thyagraja Utsavam) arranged by SPB’s father, where he accompanied Appa and myself was on the mridangam as a ten year old boy looking smaller than the mridangam. He will recollect with joy how people there were going on continuously pouring full of cash and gift in the stage during the Kutchery itself showing their appreciation to me. Then he will say Chinna vayasile un Thangai Ramayanam Sooluvale, Aval Eppadi Irrukkal. His memory power is amazing. He will say what was the day on July1,1900. Any year you say, he can state the month with date and the day. Not only that, he is a good organizer also. Every year he conducts performances in memory of his beloved mother(a trust in the name of his mother) and honours distinguished artists in various fields of music monetarily also satisfying them. Last year, he honoured Appa. He askd me to give a biodata of appa. Since it was the trust which he was organizing, I gave priority to Chandru sir, and had stated in the Biodata about his relationship with Appa and that he had accompanied Appa infinitely. I read it out to him. He told me ‘ Sriram, I am happy that you have written about me so well. But, you made a mistake. You should have written about Lalgudy, Krishnan and MSG ( they are seniors to me and have also accompanied your appa endless number of times) and then only mentioned my name. I understand in your affection towards me you have written like that but you change that biodata. You should include my name only after their names. Such is Chandru Sir’s Character.
Chandru Sir is also a very principled man. Even for his daughter Bharati he does not do any special recommendation. She has come up on her own. When I ring him up over phone, when I just start saying ‘Hullo’ he will recogonise my voice and say’ Sriram, Eppadippa Irrukke. He will be full of praise for my wife Viji and say ‘ Ippadi oru nalla anbum mariyadaiyum kalanda manaivi amaivathum romba kashtam Sriram. Nee koduthu vaithavan enbaar. The way he calls me lovingly and affectionately I would feel ‘Enna Thavam Seidanai’. Chandru Sir is a living legend.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Excellant article Manakkal Sriram. The recent Somu's concert uploaded, (where Somu sings RTP-Dharmavathy) MC and Somu are creating wonders jointly. Everysong in that concert, you can see a different and knowledgeable MC. Thank you very much for sharing your views.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

dear violin lover. It would be great if you coudl some of your school finger techniques with us.

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

a very great artist and a very very good accompanying artist. A lot of senior artist preferrd him as a violinist as he was always sensitive to the singing of the vocalist, and he never overplayed. This was liked by very many artist. KVN openly acknowledged that his accompaniment was par excellence and he is a master of laya.Another great quality was that he would openly express his joy on the stage on the singing or playing of his coartist and was appreciative of their effort openly. A very great quality which is the hall mark of a great artist ..... BFN Ragjay

108talas

Post by 108talas »

Madurai Somu's hours long alApanAs and the many capsule sized replies by MC still rings. MC has been very accommodative as well.

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

MC mama's style is more based on the gayaki style(though in some parts in the alapana he uses the 'viral adi ' technique used in the nadaswaram style and while playing tanam,he follows the veena tradition ie no 'cut-bow' that is to say no ricocheting bow which MSG mama uses to perfection.) so in other words making the violin sing...to imitate the voice in an instument is not an easy job. when we sing "sa-ri-ga-ma" in mayamalavagoula, we oscillate the "ri" like 'sa ri sa ri' (sing this in your mind and see for yourself ) this method of playing extra swaras for the same swara is called the anuswara..
of course writing about it is difficult. but please tell me if you have understood thus far so that i may get the inspiration to continue.

more in my next post

MC mama devotee
violinlover

108talas

Post by 108talas »

kutcheri kaLai katta aarabichiduttu.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

/Dear violin lover,

I am keenly following and eager to know MC sir school style and fingering . please keep writing so that everyone understands and imbibe the great stlyle.

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

we will now proceed to the next swara "ga".before that let me tell you that whateveris written inside double quotes is swaras and those written under single quotes are anuswaras..got it?? also when singing these swaras,you should pronounce the actual swara while singing its anuswaras-for example,when we sing "ri" we should say "ri" while singing 'sa ri sa ri'
ok?
now "ga" demands a greater dose of anuswaras as it is placed far from "ri" in mayamalavagoula. so "ga" is sung as 'sa ri sa ma ga ma ga' wherein the 'sa ri sa' is sung fast and 'ma ga ma ga'is sung slowly to relish the gait of "ga".

ma is plain. that's the easiest part of it. the great MC mama says that the power that a gamaka laden swara has is also possessed by the swara played flatly(ie without gamaka) at the appropriate places.

"pa" is played as 'pa ma pa'( note:'pa' should be played in the A string only to get the required effect) MC mama says that the more you play on a single string the more you come closer to the human voice.

the remaining "da" "ni" "sa" are played in the E string akin to "ri""ga""ma" in the A string.

i will discuss the avarohana in the next post. i am fully aware that i am going dead slow but it is better that we all understand the full effect of the great MC mama style and also reflect upon the way he has thought of such a unique style(in fact he and his equally great mother).

MC mama devotee

violinlover

vijay

Post by vijay »

Excellent Violin Lover! Even a non-player like me would be very interested. Keep it going!

sbala

Post by sbala »

Thanks ViolinLover. Are the gamakams themselves unique or is the way it is played is unique. In other words, is gandharam always played/sung this way in MMG or does it vary from one school to another.

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

the way each school deals with gamkam is different. as each school is an ocean, i am not aware of how the gamakas are played in other schools.
but in MC mama's school this is just one of the ways we decorate anthara gandharam in mayamalavagoula. as i am just dealing with the basics now i will come to raga alapanai and the great imagination of MC mama a bit later.. that is to say we do not play "ga" this way every time.. it differs with the nature of the raga and/or the mood of the ragam we ae trying to create at the particular moment . please send in your queries, if any. i am only too eager to answer to the best of my knowledge.

MC mama devotee

violinlover

sbala

Post by sbala »

Thanks ViolinLover. Ã

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

in the avarohanam,"sa" is plain.you can also play'pa sa' to indicate "sa" but the 'pa sa' should not be curt.it should have jAru. that 'pa sa' should traverse all the swarasthanas between "pa" and "sa" without stopping at any swarasthanas except "pa" and "sa" .ok??
"ni" is played like 'pa sa ni sa ni' here too the anuswaras 'pa sa' is played like as explained above except that it is played faster but the 'sa ni sa ni' is played slowly to enjoy the gait of "ni" of mayamalavagoula.
"da" is played like 'sa ni sa pa da pa da' here too, the 'sa ni sa' is played a bit fast with 'pa da pa da ' slowly.
" pa" is plain.
"ma""ga""ri" is played just like "sa""ni""da" .
"sa" is plain.

so, that's it. you have the whole of the basics of mayamalavagoula on your lap. but only the first kalam. i will write about playing fast and jantai varisai in my next post.what i have written now will suffice for all other basics other than jantai varisai which will require special treatment.

MC mama devotee

violinlover

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Hi violin lover,

I understand sa and ri in arohanam . " ga " is ok too except that what is that 'sa ri sa ma ga ma ga'. is that not too many anuswaram for a single note? but i tried it and it is sort of ok . but except that I am deviating much from the actual swara itself.

and so it is for " dha". please elaborate on this . and I am awaiting the next dose of intake.

see you soon.

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

hi ganesh mourthy sir,
as i had explained before,'sa ri sa' is fast whereas the 'ma ga ma ga'only signifies the gamakam for "ga". the 'sa ri sa' provides the link between "ri"and "ga".

"da" is played on the E string the same way you play "ri" on the A string.
BTW, did you play the other swaras .did they come good?
i reiterate that it is not easy learning this way nor is it correct to do so.
However i will continue writing on the great MC mama's style for the pleasure of doing so.
my most sincere and humble suggestion would be to find a good teacher of the style you like( if you are already training under one, continue).
whatever is written should be taken in the right spirit, lease..no offence meant to anybody.

MC mama devotee

violinlover

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

yep I clearly understand . but a bit disappointed as you have not proceeded any further!!!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

hi violinlover,

i am eagerly waiting for your next set of lessons. no hurry . take your own time if you are busy.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

no more lessons from violin lover??????????

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

i will write shortly. it is tough to write on this so i am formulating as to how to put it across.combine with that my studies and practice and i have no time left to post.

sorry ganeshmourthy, i understand your frustration. but i am equally helpless.i will try to post as early as possible.ok??

MC mama devotee

violinlover

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Violinlover, I'm following your lessons with keen interest as well. Keep them coming!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

hi violin lover i am still waiting for the lessons. no hurry and dont forget but.

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

sure ganesh mourthy sir. i know i am being too late. saying sorry doesn't seem enough...
expect me soon...

MC mama devotee
violinlover

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

hi you should be busy. no progress yet , violin lover?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Dear Violinlover,

could you also give a small intoduction to viraladi of your style if possible please.

SSK

Post by SSK »

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

dear ganesh mourthy sir,
you seem to be very well informed about the great MC mama's style.
viraladi technique is one of the advanced techniques used in this style. it is used to produce phrases of astonishing speed with consummate ease at the same time not compromising on the clarity of each swara.
it is also used to imitate the nadaswaram style of playing.
for more viraladi techniques, see MC mama's video so thoughtfully donated by shri SSK sir

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

Dear rasikas,
It gives me immense pleasure in informing you that my guru, the great Sangeetha Kalanidhi Shri M.Chandrasekaran, is completing 59 years of service to CM on March 5,2008. To commemorate this landmark achievement, he is presenting a vocal concert on the above mentioned date at Shri Thyagaraja Vidwath Samajam,Mylapore at 6:30 p.m.
His arangetram was at the same venue and the at the same date 59 years ago which makes the concert all the more memorable.
So, i take this opportunity in inviting you all to this concert.

MC mama devotee
violinlover

violinlover

Re: M. Chandrasekharan

Post by violinlover »

Sangita Kalanidhi Sri.M.Chandrasekaran will completing 61 years of performance tomorrow. :clap: To commemorate this feat, his vocal concert is being held at S.M.R.Matriculation school,Jyothiramalingam street,West Mambalam,Chennai-600033.
He will be accompanied on the violin by Sri.C.A.Rajasekar and on the mridangam by Sri.K.Srivatsa.
The concert is at 6:30p.m. All are cordially invited.

MC mama devotee
violinlover

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear members, we welcome you to a 1999 Violin duet at "Parvathi", Mysore featuring Vidwan Chandrasekharan and his daughter Vidushi Bharathi at http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

The maestro may have been one of the most featured artists in "Parvathi". He performed first in 1965, then a few times, and then saw a magnificient run from 1970 to 1986, playing every year, sometimes featured twice in a year, sometimes thrice, including many a solo performance while of course accompanying all the famous vocalists of those times (there are many postings of his). Though not as often as before, he would still continue after 1986 to delight the Rasikas every now and then.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

cpblog wrote:playing every year, sometimes featured twice in a year, sometimes thrice, ...
There can be no such thing as too much of Sri M Chandrasekharan :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

This appeal came in sangeethapriya:

sapthagireesan@gmail.com via googlegroups.com

8:19 AM (16 minutes ago)

to sangeethapriya
Dear Sir,

Violin Maestro, Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr M Chandrasekaran's 75th Birth
day falls on Nov 22.

His well-wishers and Fans are arranging a function to felicitate him on
this occasion.

A Documentary is also under compilation.
Kindly view the appended link for the trailer to the Documentary.
http://youtu.be/qpbevSD1_Y8

In this connection I may request you to kindly check from your
archives,for clippings of concert videos/photographs in which Shri
Chandrasekaran has participated. and forward the same to his son Mr Murali
Chandrasekaran by e mail to nikhilamurali@gmail.com

Shri Chandrasekaran, himself a legend, has accompanied many legends of
yester -years and is also accompanying many leading Vidwans now. Your
sparing of such clippings/photographs will be gratefully accepted and
included in the Documentary .

Thanking you and looking forward to your kind help,
Yours Cordially

A.N.Sapthagireesan

akriti53

Post by akriti53 »

Dear All,

i would like to share with all of you my experiences with our very dear MC sir. At the outset I want to state that I am just a music lover and have not learnt any music at all. I do not understand any technical points at all. I feel from my heart only. I was extremely lucky to record our dear Sir for Times Music. I was bestowed with his blessings. I found him to be one of the most wonderful artistes without any conceit in his heart. He was simplicity personified and his affection and love flowed boundless without any restrictions. I was most fascinated by his genuine affectionate feelings for me. I was keen that I should record him with a minimal presence of his daughter . It was a beautiful feeling when his daughter understood and played very subtly to enhance his wonderful presence. He recognized me quite some time later when he was at Delhi at a concert for AIR sangeet sammellan. I was very much moved when he took my hand and made very affectionate inquires. I still remember his duet with T.N.Krishnan sir at Red fort Delhi. way back in 1973. That was the last concert of the series. There was too much crowd and we could not get into the pandal before the start of the concert and we had to walk in queue right from the entrance of the Red Fort. We were hearing Hamsadwani played by the duo over the public address system. I was very happy that the shop keepers were listening to the concert. Some arrangements were made to have a close circuit TVs installed at a lot of places for easy viewing and listening for general public. I could not get any seat and stood during the entire concert duration. I was simply astonished that even the Delhi policemen were drawn towards the concert. The most wonderful moment came when our very dear MC sire played Hamsanandi and the entire on lookers were simply sat enthralled. I have never seen such a complete involvement and participation by a motley crowd consisting of policemen and shopkeepers and general on lookers to be completely involved when our MC sir played. Every phrase of the duo were appreciated. It was one of the highly impressive concert and created a great impact in me. Whenever MC sir played , the sound one felt was so peaceful and so moving and heartfelt.

With warm regards

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

A very beautiful story.

I know that Sri KVN particularly enjoyed the accompaniment and enthusiasm of Sri MC. KVN's famous Swathi Thirunal cassette (Tharangini) has Sri MC on the violin.

Sri MC did an amazing job very recently accompanying BMK at BSU.

You will find many wonderful concerts, photographs and memoirs of the great artiste in the Parvathi blog:
Http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.in

varsha

Post by varsha »

TNK - MC
Like cowboys , galloping across the countryside .In hot pursuit of a muse .
http://www.mediafire.com/?q145jltlpnhh52p

And like cowboys , after spending all night under a campfire , waiting for the day to break
http://www.mediafire.com/?q3bjhxbh30526ab

TNK - MC priceless combo

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Trying to imagine them in long hats, jeans, gumboots, with a handkerchief tied around their neck ... ;)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha-ji, it's great music! Thanks!
Did you listen to this?:
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.in/ ... ms-in.html

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It seems that tomorrow is the great man's 75th birthday. There is a tribute by his disciples tonight and a celebration tomorrow at Dakshinamurthy Auditorium (PSHS School). One of the great things about seeing MC play is the infectious joy that the music gives him. Wishing him every joy of his birthday, and hoping for many more years of him sharing his delight in music with us.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Did you listen to this?:
Oh yes . I am one of the earliest fans of that blog . I don't miss anything there. ;)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thank you!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Nick H wrote:One of the great things about seeing MC play is the infectious joy that the music gives him. Wishing him every joy of his birthday, and hoping for many more years of him sharing his delight in music with us.
Couldn't agree more. Best wishes to the great vidwan on his birthday!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

70 years of performance , still giving his best . Chandru sir is surely a phenomenal aritst. MC's 80th birthday celebrations held in academy few days back and a writeup in The Hindu dated July 09,2018.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ch ... 367763.ece