M. Chandrasekharan

Carnatic Musicians
ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

no more lessons from violin lover??????????

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

i will write shortly. it is tough to write on this so i am formulating as to how to put it across.combine with that my studies and practice and i have no time left to post.

sorry ganeshmourthy, i understand your frustration. but i am equally helpless.i will try to post as early as possible.ok??

MC mama devotee

violinlover

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Violinlover, I'm following your lessons with keen interest as well. Keep them coming!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

hi violin lover i am still waiting for the lessons. no hurry and dont forget but.

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

sure ganesh mourthy sir. i know i am being too late. saying sorry doesn't seem enough...
expect me soon...

MC mama devotee
violinlover

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

hi you should be busy. no progress yet , violin lover?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Dear Violinlover,

could you also give a small intoduction to viraladi of your style if possible please.

SSK

Post by SSK »

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

dear ganesh mourthy sir,
you seem to be very well informed about the great MC mama's style.
viraladi technique is one of the advanced techniques used in this style. it is used to produce phrases of astonishing speed with consummate ease at the same time not compromising on the clarity of each swara.
it is also used to imitate the nadaswaram style of playing.
for more viraladi techniques, see MC mama's video so thoughtfully donated by shri SSK sir

violinlover

Post by violinlover »

Dear rasikas,
It gives me immense pleasure in informing you that my guru, the great Sangeetha Kalanidhi Shri M.Chandrasekaran, is completing 59 years of service to CM on March 5,2008. To commemorate this landmark achievement, he is presenting a vocal concert on the above mentioned date at Shri Thyagaraja Vidwath Samajam,Mylapore at 6:30 p.m.
His arangetram was at the same venue and the at the same date 59 years ago which makes the concert all the more memorable.
So, i take this opportunity in inviting you all to this concert.

MC mama devotee
violinlover

violinlover

Re: M. Chandrasekharan

Post by violinlover »

Sangita Kalanidhi Sri.M.Chandrasekaran will completing 61 years of performance tomorrow. :clap: To commemorate this feat, his vocal concert is being held at S.M.R.Matriculation school,Jyothiramalingam street,West Mambalam,Chennai-600033.
He will be accompanied on the violin by Sri.C.A.Rajasekar and on the mridangam by Sri.K.Srivatsa.
The concert is at 6:30p.m. All are cordially invited.

MC mama devotee
violinlover

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear members, we welcome you to a 1999 Violin duet at "Parvathi", Mysore featuring Vidwan Chandrasekharan and his daughter Vidushi Bharathi at http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

The maestro may have been one of the most featured artists in "Parvathi". He performed first in 1965, then a few times, and then saw a magnificient run from 1970 to 1986, playing every year, sometimes featured twice in a year, sometimes thrice, including many a solo performance while of course accompanying all the famous vocalists of those times (there are many postings of his). Though not as often as before, he would still continue after 1986 to delight the Rasikas every now and then.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

cpblog wrote:playing every year, sometimes featured twice in a year, sometimes thrice, ...
There can be no such thing as too much of Sri M Chandrasekharan :)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

This appeal came in sangeethapriya:

sapthagireesan@gmail.com via googlegroups.com

8:19 AM (16 minutes ago)

to sangeethapriya
Dear Sir,

Violin Maestro, Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr M Chandrasekaran's 75th Birth
day falls on Nov 22.

His well-wishers and Fans are arranging a function to felicitate him on
this occasion.

A Documentary is also under compilation.
Kindly view the appended link for the trailer to the Documentary.
http://youtu.be/qpbevSD1_Y8

In this connection I may request you to kindly check from your
archives,for clippings of concert videos/photographs in which Shri
Chandrasekaran has participated. and forward the same to his son Mr Murali
Chandrasekaran by e mail to nikhilamurali@gmail.com

Shri Chandrasekaran, himself a legend, has accompanied many legends of
yester -years and is also accompanying many leading Vidwans now. Your
sparing of such clippings/photographs will be gratefully accepted and
included in the Documentary .

Thanking you and looking forward to your kind help,
Yours Cordially

A.N.Sapthagireesan

akriti53

Post by akriti53 »

Dear All,

i would like to share with all of you my experiences with our very dear MC sir. At the outset I want to state that I am just a music lover and have not learnt any music at all. I do not understand any technical points at all. I feel from my heart only. I was extremely lucky to record our dear Sir for Times Music. I was bestowed with his blessings. I found him to be one of the most wonderful artistes without any conceit in his heart. He was simplicity personified and his affection and love flowed boundless without any restrictions. I was most fascinated by his genuine affectionate feelings for me. I was keen that I should record him with a minimal presence of his daughter . It was a beautiful feeling when his daughter understood and played very subtly to enhance his wonderful presence. He recognized me quite some time later when he was at Delhi at a concert for AIR sangeet sammellan. I was very much moved when he took my hand and made very affectionate inquires. I still remember his duet with T.N.Krishnan sir at Red fort Delhi. way back in 1973. That was the last concert of the series. There was too much crowd and we could not get into the pandal before the start of the concert and we had to walk in queue right from the entrance of the Red Fort. We were hearing Hamsadwani played by the duo over the public address system. I was very happy that the shop keepers were listening to the concert. Some arrangements were made to have a close circuit TVs installed at a lot of places for easy viewing and listening for general public. I could not get any seat and stood during the entire concert duration. I was simply astonished that even the Delhi policemen were drawn towards the concert. The most wonderful moment came when our very dear MC sire played Hamsanandi and the entire on lookers were simply sat enthralled. I have never seen such a complete involvement and participation by a motley crowd consisting of policemen and shopkeepers and general on lookers to be completely involved when our MC sir played. Every phrase of the duo were appreciated. It was one of the highly impressive concert and created a great impact in me. Whenever MC sir played , the sound one felt was so peaceful and so moving and heartfelt.

With warm regards

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

A very beautiful story.

I know that Sri KVN particularly enjoyed the accompaniment and enthusiasm of Sri MC. KVN's famous Swathi Thirunal cassette (Tharangini) has Sri MC on the violin.

Sri MC did an amazing job very recently accompanying BMK at BSU.

You will find many wonderful concerts, photographs and memoirs of the great artiste in the Parvathi blog:
Http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.in

varsha

Post by varsha »

TNK - MC
Like cowboys , galloping across the countryside .In hot pursuit of a muse .
http://www.mediafire.com/?q145jltlpnhh52p

And like cowboys , after spending all night under a campfire , waiting for the day to break
http://www.mediafire.com/?q3bjhxbh30526ab

TNK - MC priceless combo

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Trying to imagine them in long hats, jeans, gumboots, with a handkerchief tied around their neck ... ;)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha-ji, it's great music! Thanks!
Did you listen to this?:
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.in/ ... ms-in.html

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It seems that tomorrow is the great man's 75th birthday. There is a tribute by his disciples tonight and a celebration tomorrow at Dakshinamurthy Auditorium (PSHS School). One of the great things about seeing MC play is the infectious joy that the music gives him. Wishing him every joy of his birthday, and hoping for many more years of him sharing his delight in music with us.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Did you listen to this?:
Oh yes . I am one of the earliest fans of that blog . I don't miss anything there. ;)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thank you!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Nick H wrote:One of the great things about seeing MC play is the infectious joy that the music gives him. Wishing him every joy of his birthday, and hoping for many more years of him sharing his delight in music with us.
Couldn't agree more. Best wishes to the great vidwan on his birthday!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

70 years of performance , still giving his best . Chandru sir is surely a phenomenal aritst. MC's 80th birthday celebrations held in academy few days back and a writeup in The Hindu dated July 09,2018.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ch ... 367763.ece

arasi

Post by arasi »

A vidwan who deserves our admiration for all his praiseworthy qualities well described by the speakers on this occasion. Good health and many more years of music to him--in keeping him and the rasikas happy.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Write up of shri MC 80th birthday celebrations in academy followed by chitraveena ravikiran concert writeup dated july 20,2018 in The Hindu.
https://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/t ... 468392.ece.

Can some one tell me if MC mAma became completely visually handicapped even at a young age or was it a shade where he could see somewhat and then there was progressive loss ? Kudos to him and the way he has looked forward .playing from the year 1949- completing 70 years of intense play . Some one like Manirathnam should take a movie with his biography theme, especially not just him few more pointers on his mother charubala mohan? In school was inspired by Hellenkeller and his teacher , as of now there is M Chandrasekaran Mama right before us playing violin .

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Well-deserved celebration of an artist of indomitable courage and poise and equanimity.

When our family decided to celebrate my late father K.S. Mahadevan's centenary in 2013 at the KGS,MC wanted to be one of the key speakers. In his speech paying a. tribute to my father mentioned something that we were not fully aware.

In 1952 my father arranged MC to accompany(perhaps his first big concert in Bombay) Sathur Subramaniam. MC took Bombay by storm and completely overshadowed Sathur (it was his First concert in Bombay as well!).My mother and MC's mother were good friends from their Calcutta days. A humble person not wallowing in self-pity, he remarked in Tamil" Adai Ellam Marakka mudiyuma"(How can I forget such opportunity). Another great feature is his readiness and willingness to accompany a newly-minted artiste or an amateur singer in a chamber concert.

Wish him many more years of playing!!

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

A nice video on MC sir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITUc9dNe-g

I made a small blog entry based on it:

இன்று காலை வயலின் வித்வான் ராகுல் சங்கீத கலாநிதி எம்.சந்திரசேகரனைப் பற்றிய காணொளியை அனுப்பியிருந்தார்.

கிட்டத்தட்ட ஒருமணி நேரம் ஓடும் அந்தப் படத்தை நிரப்பியிருக்கும் சந்துரு ஸாரில் கள்ளமில்லா சிரிப்புக்காகவே படத்தைப் பார்க்கலாம்.

அவர் வாசித்த பல கச்சேரிகளை நேரில் கேட்டிருக்கிறேன். அவர் வாசிப்பு இருக்கட்டும், மேடையில் அவர் தோற்றமே களை கட்ட வைத்துவிடும். வித்வான் என்பதைவிட முதல் ரசிகர் அவர். படத்தில் திரு.சேஷகோபாலன் கூறியுள்ளது போல, ஒரு நல்ல சங்கதிக்கு முதல் அங்கீகாரம் சந்துரு ஸாரிடமிருந்து வந்துவிடும்.

நான் அடிக்கடி விரும்பிக் கேட்கும் வோலேடி வெங்கடேஸ்வருலு கச்சேரியில் சந்துரு ஸார் வாசித்திருக்கும் பூர்விகல்யாணியை அவர் வாசிப்புக்காகவே பலமுறை கேட்டுள்ளேன். அளவுக்கு மீறாத அமுதம் அந்த ஆலாபனை. கிட்டத்தட்ட பதினைந்து வருடங்களுக்கு முன்னால் திருவையாறு உற்சவத்தில் அந்து நிமிடத்துக்கும் குறைவாய் அவர் வாசித்த கல்யாண வசந்தம் அந்த மணல் தரையில் கூடியிருந்த ஆயிரக் கணக்கானோரை சொக்கிப் போக வைத்ததை இன்றளவும் மறக்க முடியாது.

இந்தப் படத்தில் மின்னல் கீற்றாய் ஒலிக்கும் அந்த சின்ன ஆபேரியும் இன்று அந்தக் கல்யாண வசந்தத்துடன் சேர்ந்து கொண்டது.

இந்தக் காணொளியை ஆவணப்படம் என்பதைவிட ஒரு கொண்டாட்டம் என்று சொல்லத் தோன்றுகிறது. கொண்டாட்டத்தின் நாயகனை நமக்களித்த சாருபாலா அவர்களுக்கும், அந்தக் கொண்டாட்டத்தில் என்னையும் சேர்த்துக் கொண்ட ராகுலுக்கும் நன்றி.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Violin Lover (viloiinist R Raghul) and all others whom I donot know
Accept my heartiest congratulations on the video. In school in 8th or 7th standard there used to be a chapter HelenKeller where she is helped by a teacher by name Anne Sullivan (not very sure of teacher name). I recollect the teacher took helenkeller to a tap for her to be taught w a t e r. I guess smt charubala mohan, mother of MC mama must have done the same and gave us this great vidwan chandru sir.

The range of musicians all the way from MVI-GNB (ancient era) to early medieval era (TRS, BMK,Santhanam, Somu, you missed mentioning SKR etal ) to late medieval era (TVS,TNS) and he is still playing for the early modern era (Mandolin srinivas) to late modern era stars as of today. He must go in the history as one violinist who has played for maximum concerts as violin accompanist(taking a guess 70 years of playing averagely 200 per year that is about 14000 concerts).

- For next 3 days , rajesh is a true MC mAMA devotee

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Click on the pic to access the magazine... Indepth article.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Sachi_R wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 15:05 Image
Click on the pic to access the magazine... Indepth article.
Lovely!! Many thanks. A treasure indeed. Started reading from page 33 - on Sri MC!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lovely writeup about SHri M Chandrasekaran in The Hindu dated 20th Dec, 2019
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 347446.ece